The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 4 January 2018, 01:29 PM   #121
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
My Z-blue has gotten a bunch of comments in the past 6 months or so. More than all the comments of my AP collectively over the past 4 years. That being said, every time my AP has drawn a compliment, it has been a fellow WIS which started a great convo.

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
Old 4 January 2018, 01:55 PM   #122
edolecki
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD TOG 16253 TBird
Once a guy at work noticed and asked to hold it. He told me he thought it would be a lot heavier and handed it back. He's since gotten one of his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4 January 2018, 06:34 PM   #123
Stevesblakely
Banned

every time I am at home and a mate calls up to say someone liked his watch..

S

Rolex Ex2, Ex1. Speedy TINTIN... total curiosity.... never; nada nich; non; https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a4de665...208-WA0000.mp4

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 5 January 2018, 02:23 AM   #124
vincenzowl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV
Do people comment on the Daytona or Rolex you are wearing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wach16 View Post
My Z-blue has gotten a bunch of comments in the past 6 months or so. More than all the comments of my AP collectively over the past 4 years. That being said, every time my AP has drawn a compliment, it has been a fellow WIS which started a great convo.

The Z-Blue is one of the flashiest models out there imo and draws a ton of attention on the wrist. The dial looks completely different to someone else looking at your watch than it is to the person wearing it. I’d even argue it looks better to someone else than to yourself wearing it as you can’t get the same view and angles as from a third person perspective. Hard to explain unless you’ve both worn it and seen it on someone else to compare.
Old 5 January 2018, 03:04 AM   #125
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
I hate when strangers want to talk watches. It’s always bad timing and awkward. I never comment on other people’s watches unless I know them well.
Old 5 January 2018, 04:25 AM   #126
MilgaussBe
"TRF" Member

Watch: GV Z-blue/BLNR
The Z-blue does get way more attention than my GMT BLNR. Even non WIS'es seem to notice it, it's always the green glass that pops first in people's eyes. "Huh what's that, a watch with green glass!?!"
Old 6 January 2018, 02:00 PM   #127
BigJer
"TRF" Member

I just like to talk watches because it's a hobby to me. I collect cars and go to car shows and talk cars for hours. Are there watch shows for the public? I got a special permit to go to a watch sale for dealers, which wasn't much fun - everybody trying to sell me a watch.
Old 6 January 2018, 02:34 PM   #128
yhzdude
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

i think people notice but don't make comments. the other day i was in a small environment, wearing my sd 43 with short sleeve shirt...and had 3 guys around me..thrust me everyone noticed my watch, but not a comment, i wonder if the first question that pop in their head is...is it real?
also i have noticed people around me wearing rolex, and i don't comment either,
saw one the day before yesterday 2 tones blue sub..but i would not go and approach someone to comment.
i notice watches on people because i like watches..but that's about it...i wear different kinds, and hardly ever get a comment unless i know the person well. I think it s a privacy thing..
Old 6 January 2018, 05:10 PM   #129
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Had a few comments on my BLNR and 1675s, but mostly in Hong Kong where Rolex are as common as Ford F-150s in Omaha. The taxi driver, the girl working in HR, and host/hostess seating guests at a restaurant are also sporting DJs and Subs etc. so it's more just an observation that's commonly made among folk in a watch-saturated city rather than having some sort of "wow"-factor attached to it.

Got a compliment on my 116509 once, but that was in the U.S. at a vintage shop in Boston from another browser, so not really random.
Old 6 January 2018, 05:20 PM   #130
brkanand
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 4=YMDaytonaGMTHulk
Not generally but was surprised when a young attendant in a gas station complimented on my Hulk. I said 'thank you'. I am not sure if he realized it was a Rolex. By the way, a gas station in my place is known as 'Petrol Bunk' although Diesel too is sold.
Old 8 January 2018, 03:29 PM   #131
BigJer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhzdude View Post
i think people notice but don't make comments. the other day i was in a small environment, wearing my sd 43 with short sleeve shirt...and had 3 guys around me..thrust me everyone noticed my watch, but not a comment, i wonder if the first question that pop in their head is...is it real?
also i have noticed people around me wearing rolex, and i don't comment either,
saw one the day before yesterday 2 tones blue sub..but i would not go and approach someone to comment.
i notice watches on people because i like watches..but that's about it...i wear different kinds, and hardly ever get a comment unless i know the person well. I think it s a privacy thing..
I think you're right - good observation.
Old 8 January 2018, 06:45 PM   #132
Flier
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
The old good questionI get asked in public
<<is that real....?>>
Actually now that I remember , last week a cabin crew came in the flight deck and asked why I have not informed her I am wearing a Rolex.......
Better stay away from her
Old 8 January 2018, 09:10 PM   #133
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
This thread comes up from time to time. Not sure why.

Short answer: No. And I hope it stays that way.

Long answer: Why in the world would I want others to comment on my watch? I wear the watches I wear because it is passion. Not to impress others.

It has always been a pet peeve of mine when I see someone who leads with their wrist and tries to call attention to the fact that they can afford something that others cannot.

I wear the watch, it does not wear me.:thumbs:

If I ever get to the point that my watch does wear me, or even tries, I would get rid of it in a heartbeat.
Old 8 January 2018, 10:15 PM   #134
cc75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Skydweller
Never on my Rolexes but when I had Panerai at office sometimes yes.
Old 8 January 2018, 11:23 PM   #135
hbombkid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610
Only twice in my life.

Had my orange PO and a girl at chick-fil-a said nice watch then another time again out eating a waiter commented on my BLNR.

I do agree with most comments most just do not care or they do notice and do not say anything.

Depending on situation I usually will say nice watch when I see one. Sometimes it does spur up a conversation and other times it’s just a simple thanks and moving on.
Old 9 January 2018, 12:36 AM   #136
Watchfellow
Banned

I'm surprised by these comments...I've received many comments over the years...Recently I got the Daytona C white face and I'm getting the most comments than ever before. Now granted, usually the comments are from young guys who long for a Rolex or a woman who says "I like your watch" but I suspect doesn't know anything about it.
Old 9 January 2018, 01:56 AM   #137
tng11
"TRF" Member

I rarely get comments on my watches, but the one I got the most comments on was my former AP ROO Jarno Trulli.

I was at a Nespresso boutique yesterday and got a compliment from the guy next to me on my Patek 5164A, who said "very nice Patek!" The guy behind (who I noticed was eyeballing my wrist while in line) also said "yeah, that's a really nice Patek!" What are the chances of 2 WIS standing next/behind me at a shop selling fancy coffee pods?
Old 9 January 2018, 02:24 AM   #138
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
I was at a Nespresso boutique yesterday and got a compliment from the guy next to me on my Patek 5164A, who said "very nice Patek!" The guy behind (who I noticed was eyeballing my wrist while in line) also said "yeah, that's a really nice Patek!" What are the chances of 2 WIS standing next/behind me at a shop selling fancy coffee pods?
Funny, I got a similar compliment recently while in queue with my 5164. “That’s a nice watch. Did you get it here?” I was at a Walmart. I just said, “Yup, it was on sale.”
Old 9 January 2018, 04:23 AM   #139
Partymember
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex OP 116000 WG
I bought my first Rolex (OP 116000) 3 months ago and yet had no comments. It's winter and I wear long sleeves. But besides Rolex I can only recall being complimented for my watches only twice in my life - for a Ball Fireman on a fancy carbon fiber strap and for a Seiko Alpinist on a green strap.

Last edited by Welshwatchman; 13 February 2018 at 02:41 AM..
Closed Thread