The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 January 2018, 11:03 PM   #1
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
help with 1655 explorer 2 condition

Hey guys. I have been getting back into vintage lately. There seems to be a few cool watches kicking around locally. I came across this 1655 and I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice as to condition / value. I know the condition isn't great compared to some of the other ones I have seen. I asked a grey dealer and they quoted me 9k US which i think is a bit low? No chipping on the dial so my guess was around 12-13k US? There is some paint or something on the crystal which I assume could polish out.

If there is someone out there in rolexforums land who is knowledgeable about vintage valuations and willing to give advice on some pieces I am more than happy to compensate them for their time.

Thanks for the help again,

Josh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg explorer2.jpg (79.7 KB, 187 views)
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 03:50 AM   #2
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
Hey guys. I have been getting back into vintage lately. There seems to be a few cool watches kicking around locally. I came across this 1655 and I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice as to condition / value. I know the condition isn't great compared to some of the other ones I have seen. I asked a grey dealer and they quoted me 9k US which i think is a bit low? No chipping on the dial so my guess was around 12-13k US? There is some paint or something on the crystal which I assume could polish out.

If there is someone out there in rolexforums land who is knowledgeable about vintage valuations and willing to give advice on some pieces I am more than happy to compensate them for their time.

Thanks for the help again,

Josh
Josh,
If you want a fair assessment on value of the above piece, you cannot provide one blurry picture and expect a fair assessment.

From what I can barley see, it’s a later 1655 maybe early 80’s.

What I can tell you based on other models, mk1’s and 2’s.. Dealers here are pricing them over 20k. I know shear has one, mid 70’s priced at 22k. But the condition and patina is outstanding.

I personally am not attracted to the lack of patina on that piece you provided a pic of. I won’t even comment on value based off that picture you provided. It could be missing the lume off the dial plots for all I know.

If you find an amazing example from a dealer here in the states for the watch alone, the prices are north of 20k USD at the moment. I have been keeping track of the prices.. Now maybe you get lucky and find a collector who has one to sell, maybe you can shave a couple grand off the dealers premium.

So you have to ask yourself what kind of condition you’re willing to settle for? Sure, ugly 1655’s with issues can be had from 12 to 15k usd.

Prices are in the rise and the days of the “undervalued” 1655’s are over.
Best of luck in your search.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 01:06 PM   #3
Traveling
Banned

Looks like the owner used it and always wore it. Whether that translates into a 'good' buy is debatable.
Traveling is offline   Reply With Quote