The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 11 January 2018, 10:11 AM   #1
tough
"TRF" Member

Stiff to wind, but good time keeping. Service or not?

Good day everyone.

I'm wondering what everyone would do in such a situation, as I was discussing it with a friend of mine over his watch.
I think I would personally get the watch serviced, but he is debating whether to do so or not.

It is an gilt sub, which he purchased about 2 years ago.
The watch keeps good time, but is on the stiff side when winding. He is worried that something could potentially go wrong in service, and could be avoided for years as the watch keeps time and can still be wound anyway.
It is not a watch he wears daily, but from time to time rotates it.

In this instance would you guys have the watch serviced (baring in mind it is not a daily wear)? Would you avoid winding it too much?
Could the movement be further damaged if the watch is left unserviced?

Looking forward to hearing some experienced guys inputs, as well as watchmakers that are always kind enough to chime in on discussions.

tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 02:07 PM   #2
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

I personally wouldn’t service it until stops running. Risk to the dial and hands!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 02:17 PM   #3
Franks07
2024 Pledge Member

A "gilt Sub" deserves to be maintained in optimum mechanical condition to maximize the lucky owner's enjoyment and protect it's value IMO.
The worry about potential dial or hands damage while being serviced has some validity but should not be an overriding concern if a vetted CW21 watchmaker is used. Several vintage service people can be found here with impeccable reputations.
Good luck.
Franks07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 02:19 PM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I am unable to diagnose "stiff to wind" on the Internet....
Old 11 January 2018, 04:06 PM   #5
Vicc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Broad Arrow
At the very least you should send it in for an estimate. Usually when I hold a watch with a problem I can tell that it won't be long before other problems begin to show.
Vicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 03:56 PM   #6
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Gilt sub covers a LOT of territory..

WHICH gilt sub?

The gaskets get dry.

First I would put a tiny bit of Fomblin (expensive) or silicone grease on the shaft of the crown...and move it in and out of closed position and set position a few times....a large percentage of stiffness in winding and setting can be the lubrication of the tube gasket.

That being said...if you don't wear it...esPECially a 1030...that use a good bit of lubrication in the reversing wheels....they get "gummy" and stiffen up. On that movement...especially if your reversers are stiff and gummy and you try to hand wind it...you will break the crown wheel. It's a 275.00 part if you can find one.

It sounds more like a 15xx movement...same situation really only different. The reversers need to be cleaned and the clicks lubricated. The pivots are also likely dry with waxy lubrication in the jewels. You let them sit up...the oils become viscous. That is what Rolex told me 33 years ago when I first began corresponding with Geneva.

The 15xx crown gear will break in the same way though it is a better part and easier to get.

It's why I don't particularly like safe queens....unless you are just not going to EVER wear them.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 08:02 PM   #7
snowflake
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1803/9
I also suspect the O-ring (or the keyless). If the friction is similarly high in both forward and reverse winding motions, it's likely just the lubricant on the crown tube O-ring dry.

But, if the friction is only with the forward winging motion, it could be that the keyless is dirty or the whole watch is dry.

If I were the owner, I'd ask my watchmaker to just see the crown tube O-ring and the keyless first. This may be done without removing the movement from the case and the dial and hands are untouched.
snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote