The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 January 2018, 05:40 AM   #1
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
1968 5513 value

I've been hearing rumors lately in regards to a substantial increase in the value of Rolex submariner 5513's, can I ask if there's substance in these rumors and how much of an increase is expected?
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 07:30 AM   #2
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
From what I have been seeing, dealers have been asking between 10,500 and 11k for 5513 whites in beautiful condition and have been getting their asking price.

meters first to feet first, maxi to non maxi and serif dials all seem to be fetching within the same price points for awhile now. It's just a matter of preference but cant go wrong with any choice.

These prices are high for 5513's but its the new market.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 08:02 AM   #3
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post
From what I have been seeing, dealers have been asking between 10,500 and 11k for 5513 whites in beautiful condition and have been getting their asking price.

meters first to feet first, maxi to non maxi and serif dials all seem to be fetching within the same price points for awhile now. It's just a matter of preference but cant go wrong with any choice.

Agreed. This is true for most (4 digit) models, a marked rise. Solid example, white lettered 1675s are ~$14k based upon a recent thread...
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 10:50 PM   #4
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Wow, this both pleases and concerns me..... as Im now walking around with a more expensive watch that I started out with a few years ago....
Old 10 January 2018, 10:55 PM   #5
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Condition is really everything. An average example is more 7-8k and a mint one could almost reach the double. Nothing different from other hot things vintage.
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 06:38 AM   #6
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Condition is really everything. An average example is more 7-8k and a mint one could almost reach the double. Nothing different from other hot things vintage.
condition is as per the attached photo, the seller did advise me when I bought it that they were becoming hard to find in good condition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex 1968.jpg (286.9 KB, 337 views)
Old 11 January 2018, 09:47 AM   #7
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

worth searching this forum properly - I have seen this picture pop up before - there were some discussions around this piece - can't recall conclusion.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 11:47 PM   #8
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
worth searching this forum properly - I have seen this picture pop up before - there were some discussions around this piece - can't recall conclusion.
sure it was me after clarification in regards to the hands and dial and I was informed they are Rolex service replacements, this was factored into the sale price at the time, my 1st Rolex and from what I've learnt I'm very pleased with it.
Old 12 January 2018, 03:26 AM   #9
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoilsofwar01 View Post
sure it was me after clarification in regards to the hands and dial and I was informed they are Rolex service replacements, this was factored into the sale price at the time, my 1st Rolex and from what I've learnt I'm very pleased with it.
So if you have already confirmed that the dial and hands are service replacements, I would concur with the same, especially seeing the RSC warranty card and the color/condition of the dial and hands to be lumi service replacements. The insert is a later service replacement as well but not a recent one. Recent service inserts are going to be even thinner font than that one.

I would say, if you trust the dealer, the watch has been serviced by RSC which means it's coming to you issue free. 7 to 8k range sounds about right.

best of luck with your decision.
Old 12 January 2018, 08:57 AM   #10
John Ireland
"TRF" Member

Any premium for Serpico Y Laino on the dial?
John Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 10:53 AM   #11
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ireland View Post
Any premium for Serpico Y Laino on the dial?
Does a bear sh!t in the woods?
Old 13 January 2018, 12:12 AM   #12
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So if you have already confirmed that the dial and hands are service replacements, I would concur with the same, especially seeing the RSC warranty card and the color/condition of the dial and hands to be lumi service replacements. The insert is a later service replacement as well but not a recent one. Recent service inserts are going to be even thinner font than that one.

I would say, if you trust the dealer, the watch has been serviced by RSC which means it's coming to you issue free. 7 to 8k range sounds about right.

best of luck with your decision.

errm, I do own the 5513 in the photo, its dated 1968, hands a dial are possible 25 -30 years old, and yes the insert would have been changed also at some point in the watches history, interestingly using the information on the service card I checked with Rolex to make sure that it was all above board, their response; it was given a full service and the only advisory was the hands and dial are beginning to deteriorate... and so the cycle continues..... I now have better idea of how much if at all Submariners have increased by,