The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 10 January 2018, 12:22 AM   #1
Lime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, JLC, etc
how reliable are JLC watches? Specifically modern master control

I am the owner of modern rolex and it seems very durable and reliable. After searching various forums and the internet it is obvious most believe rolex is a more reliable and durable watch. What I mean by this personally is I have had my rolex for 5 years and do not wear it often but when I take It out I know it is going to work.

Can someone please comment in regards to this piece of mind with a simple complication like the master control date. If treated with care, not bumped around, only worn occasionally not daily. Generally can one expect these watches to be pulled from the safe and be working in for example 7 years?

I am interested in reliability and dependability if treated with care, rather than discussion about how much of a beating it can take.

Also would like to know how well other peoples master control date keeps time.
Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 12:56 AM   #2
mdgrwl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Dealer
JLC used to supply major watch brands like AP, Patek Philippe, Cartier, etc... with movements. They are known for their movements more than anything else... and with modern technology, they have only got better.

This is open for argument but I would dub them as probably the best movement maker on the planet.

Having said that - just about any decent brand today (Rolex, JLC, Omega, IWC, etc...) will run for a lifetime with proper wearing and care.
mdgrwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 01:36 AM   #3
Layner
"TRF" Member

Between my wife and I, we have 5 rolexes, 1 jlc (rendezvous), 1 Glashutte original, and 1 Breguet. I'm kind of obsessive on tracking the accuracy so whenever I reset the date on a watch I set the time to the atomic clock so I can easily find the discrepancy when I reset it (usually 1-2 months later). The jlc is always the most accurate, and i can't recall ever seeing it off by more than 30 seconds after 2 months.

Overall the fine tuning in the watch probably makes more of a difference than anything (one of my rolexes is far more accurate over this stretch than any of the others) but in my experience the jlc's accuracy is amazing.
Layner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 03:37 PM   #4
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Very. Loved my JLC and enjoyed the service I received. If you scan JLC forums on TimeZone, you'll find a few people who ran into issues mostly with service (e.g., wrong hands installed on a watch), but overall JLC is one of the best watches for the money today. Classy as sh*t too.
Old 10 January 2018, 05:36 PM   #5
RXAPPP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5
Its often called "the watchmakers watch" for good reason. Resale is a dog but its one of the few a true grand old lady of the industry. As alluded to earlier it frequently supplied movements to many of its fellow HH brands over the years and is perceived to be one of the best.
RXAPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 02:02 AM   #6
MJaber
"TRF" Member

Watch: Romain Gauthier
IMHO, JLC is by far the best and most innovative watchmaker. Excellent quality throughout and highly dependable.
MJaber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 10:54 AM   #7
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

have a Jaeger ultra thin jubilee. wedding gift from my wife. had to send it in a month after owning it since it was running 30 minutes fast a day, and it was not magnetized. did the same thing a year and a half later and Jaeger demanded a full service despite my dealer going to bat for me. disappointing to say the least.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 11:25 AM   #8
Lime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
have a Jaeger ultra thin jubilee. wedding gift from my wife. had to send it in a month after owning it since it was running 30 minutes fast a day, and it was not magnetized. did the same thing a year and a half later and Jaeger demanded a full service despite my dealer going to bat for me. disappointing to say the least.
What a nightmare
Old 11 January 2018, 11:51 AM   #9
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lime View Post
What a nightmare
the best part was it was pretty much brand new wore it for our wedding. got it back from the first service with several dings and large scratches. by large, two that went completely across the caseback.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 12:30 PM   #10
RXAPPP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5
Quote:
I had the same with an AP Lady Oak for my wife. I think to be fair that can happen with all brands and judgement should be saved for how they react. It sounds as though it didn't get any better from there on in and I suspect this is just unlucky. My experience of both the brand and the service has been excellent
RXAPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 12:32 PM   #11
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXAPPP View Post
Its often called "the watchmakers watch" for good reason. Resale is a dog but its one of the few a true grand old lady of the industry. As alluded to earlier it frequently supplied movements to many of its fellow HH brands over the years and is perceived to be one of the best.
^^^ Agree with this.

Also don't all of the JLC master control series undergo 1000 hours of testing before release? That's fairly extensive quality control IMO.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 12:46 PM   #12
Teetime71
"TRF" Member

Watch: me nae nae
how reliable are JLC watches? Specifically modern master control

In general - if comparing the entire Rolex range against JLC, I’d venture to say that JLC is levels above Rolex in terms of complications in their lineup. That being said more can go wrong with such complications - of course no discredit to Rolex quality as it truly is the gold standard of the industry. I have no experience with the JLC master control line personally, but am enjoying a SS Reverso Grande GMT without issue. I would be confident in purchasing a JLC in terms of quality and craftsmanship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Teetime71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 01:44 PM   #13
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Jlc is WIS approved
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 02:41 PM   #14
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
i have the master compressor chronograph 2.

it is one of my favorite watches. i use it all the time. it keeps perfect time.

but alas it had to happen. it fell from our shelf hit dial down. it fell from our shelf knee high.

it survived still keeping perfect time but the one corner of the quick strap change system got a little damaged. maybe the spring got misaligned or a dent inside.
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 11:20 PM   #15
belligero
Banned

The watches are generally OK; it’s Richemont service that sucks. I got rid of mine and I don’t regret it.
belligero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 02:27 AM   #16
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
These are the kinds of stories I keep seeing that makes me pass on JLC every time. But I love their watches and want to own one.

yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 10:49 PM   #17
Lime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessir69 View Post
These are the kinds of stories I keep seeing that makes me pass on JLC every time. But I love their watches and want to own one.

yeah this is what worries me. or i see watches for sale on somewhere like chrono24 and it says "watch purchased in 2013. Had a fresh service in 2015, so good to go!" Like why did it need a service after just two years?? I don't understand this coming from Rolex and it scares me.
Old 16 February 2018, 12:05 AM   #18
Corey986
"TRF" Member

Well two years is the recommended service interval. This is from their maintenance guide.

“We recommend a maintenance service for your watch every two years or before exposing the watch to prolonged and/or regular immersion in water, in order to reinforce its water-resistance.”

Do you really need a service every two years. Not sure, but that’s their recommendation.
Corey986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 01:43 AM   #19
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I thought the service interval is 5 years. I have watches not serviced longer that work fine. I have owned several JLCs, think they are great.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 03:46 AM   #20
belligero
Banned

It is — and with modern oils, pretty much any well-designed movement should be able to go over ten years before it needs a service.

A service after two years means that it’s having problems.
belligero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 04:26 AM   #21
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am the owner of modern rolex and it seems very durable and reliable. After searching various forums and the internet it is obvious most believe rolex is a more reliable and durable watch. What I mean by this personally is I have had my rolex for 5 years and do not wear it often but when I take It out I know it is going to work.

Can someone please comment in regards to this piece of mind with a simple complication like the master control date. If treated with care, not bumped around, only worn occasionally not daily. Generally can one expect these watches to be pulled from the safe and be working in for example 7 years?

I am interested in reliability and dependability if treated with care, rather than discussion about how much of a beating it can take.

Also would like to know how well other peoples master control date keeps time.
You should know that there is an issue with the movement JLC uses in the MC line which requires servicing very regularly every 3-5 years. Do that, and you're good forever. Go 7 years and there could be a problem.

I would have it serviced by a trusted independent watchmaker.
kunlun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 04:46 AM   #22
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Does that apply to Reversos?
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 10:11 AM   #23
Lime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
You should know that there is an issue with the movement JLC uses in the MC line which requires servicing very regularly every 3-5 years. Do that, and you're good forever. Go 7 years and there could be a problem.

I would have it serviced by a trusted independent watchmaker.
Could you please confirm what this issue is?
Old 16 February 2018, 10:42 AM   #24
McLovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
I've had 2 JLCs for 6 years. Have had no problems with the movements and have not had them serviced. They are as solid as Rolex IMO.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 11:50 AM   #25
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Does that apply to Reversos?
No, it's a specific, avoidable issue with the calibre 899 (or whatever they use in some of the Master control series).
Old 16 February 2018, 11:58 AM   #26
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Could you please confirm what this issue is?
Ask on watchuseek, the high-end forum there, or on puristspro, in the JLC forum about need for regular service intervals on the 889 or 899.
Old 16 February 2018, 01:30 PM   #27
ocean2059
"TRF" Member

Watch: Chronograph
I have two JLCs, an Master Control Chronograph (Q1538420), and an Grand Revereso GMT. They are both excellent in so many ways, reliable, robust with great timing stability. Having said, compared them with Rolex Daytona and Sub (with no date), my experience still suggests that modern Rolexes, in general, have better time precision/accuracy.
ocean2059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 05:41 AM   #28
Takonwong
"TRF" Member

I had a master moonphase (2016). Great to look at but from this one experience I have had with JLC the time keeping accuracy is not on par with any of the Rolex watches I have had but then neither has any other brand (AP, VC, Tag, Cartier, etc) except Omega and Tudor.
The JLC was running about one minute fast per week.
Takonwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 03:17 AM   #29
Lime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
Ask on watchuseek, the high-end forum there, or on puristspro, in the JLC forum about need for regular service intervals on the 889 or 899.
This scares me
Old 19 February 2018, 03:18 AM   #30
Lime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takonwong View Post
I had a master moonphase (2016). Great to look at but from this one experience I have had with JLC the time keeping accuracy is not on par with any of the Rolex watches I have had but then neither has any other brand (AP, VC, Tag, Cartier, etc) except Omega and Tudor.
The JLC was running about one minute fast per week.
This is my nightmare. My rolex is pretty much exact on time