The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 30 July 2017, 11:31 PM   #31
WatchingAustin
"TRF" Member

Watch: iwatch
OP how did you create the list? I noticed a few AD's missing.
WatchingAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2017, 05:07 AM   #32
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Simms lost their Patek AD Status this past May, just replying to update your list.
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2017, 05:20 AM   #33
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriedkin View Post
Wait list mean nothing. Money talks and BS walks. Put your money down and you will go to the top of the list. Very few actually put money down.
Lol all you want but the guy is right, it's exactly how I bought my 5711 blue, no relationship, told them I wanted one and was willing to give a deposit, they said six months approx. so I said ok. A month or so later I paid the balance and in a few weeks the watch arrived sealed. This is at a large long standing Patek AD.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2017, 05:50 AM   #34
Cezinho
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Nonsense. Relationships are everything.
I agree. there is only one PP AD in the place where I Live.
I tried to call to be on the list and the guy said 2 or 3 years but ended up saying also the the lists are virtual.
I decided to go there, the person to whom I talked on the phone was very nice and showed me one 5711 that was already reserved.
I offered to take that one immediately, he refused because the owner was out and he said he would give me feedback later.
as i anticipated that 5711 was not for me, but he told me that one of the next could be for me (3 months he said).
so this could mean nothing, but despite I didn't know the guy before, I showed some knowledge about the model but most of all offered to pay immediately and apparently I moved up on the list.
lets see if I am lucky...
Cezinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2017, 03:03 AM   #35
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Exactly I could've gotten my 5167R for around 1.5k cheaper elsewhere, but wanted to build the relationship, that and the 5712 got me the white Daytona c and blue 5711 in record time, 2 and 3 months I think. Now with my Vouti ready and my other watches I am taking a break, but in 3-5 years will probably consolidate, and a good relationship is good for coveted pieces, but hey your money your call...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2017, 10:49 AM   #36
Foxman2k
"TRF" Member

Hmmm tried several US ADs and definitely seems like an uphill battle :(
Foxman2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2017, 11:19 AM   #37
Silver Bullet
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Lol all you want but the guy is right, it's exactly how I bought my 5711 blue, no relationship, told them I wanted one and was willing to give a deposit, they said six months approx. so I said ok. A month or so later I paid the balance and in a few weeks the watch arrived sealed. This is at a large long standing Patek AD.
When was that?
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2017, 12:56 PM   #38
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Exactly I could've gotten my 5167R for around 1.5k cheaper elsewhere, but wanted to build the relationship, that and the 5712 got me the white Daytona c and blue 5711 in record time, 2 and 3 months I think. Now with my Vouti ready and my other watches I am taking a break, but in 3-5 years will probably consolidate, and a good relationship is good for coveted pieces, but hey your money your call...
Only 2 months.....that incoming felt like over a year for me
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 04:29 AM   #39
verse214
"TRF" Member

Did OP ever receive a watch from any of these AD's that he has listed?
verse214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 04:38 AM   #40
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verse214 View Post
Did OP ever receive a watch from any of these AD's that he has listed?
judging by his initial list he should have 1 and maybe 2 5711's by this point.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 12:30 PM   #41
CKL1213
"TRF" Member

try this...

go to the AD, told them you pay full amount now...yes now...full payment even without the watch.

then with the condition if the watch didn't arrive in 6 months, refund your full payment.

and told them during the 6 months period, you will bring friends and relatives to buy other watches from them.

I bet you receive a call from them by the 4th month.
CKL1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 01:54 PM   #42
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKL1213 View Post
try this...

go to the AD, told them you pay full amount now...yes now...full payment even without the watch.

then with the condition if the watch didn't arrive in 6 months, refund your full payment.

and told them during the 6 months period, you will bring friends and relatives to buy other watches from them.

That depends on who your friends and relatives are
Old 9 January 2018, 04:27 PM   #43
CKL1213
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
That depends on who your friends and relatives are
buying some Tags and Omega, definitely not Pateks
Old 10 January 2018, 01:43 AM   #44
nakedtoes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simongockeritz View Post
I too live in Singapore and have been hunting a blue 5711 since Dec 2016.

I was introduced to the manager of the Cortina boutique in Paragon by a friend who had previously got his blue 5711 from him (after only waiting 2 weeks!) when he was manager of the Cortina boutique in Raffles City. I was told in Dec 2016 that I was the second in line and estimated delivery would be late Mar to early Apr. In mid Apr I walked into the boutique to check the status and was told that there was no allocation yet and it might now be May

I have talked to a few other watch enthusiasts and they have told me it could be very likely that the blue 5711 could have already sold to a VIP customer who bought a minute repeater/tourbillon or that they have it in the safe in anticipation of such a customer. I have asked the sales at Cortina/Hour Glass if this has ever been the case and they deny it saying they honor the waitlist but I would not be surprised if such sales tactics are being practiced.

I am now not quite sure if I should continue to wait on the Cortina Paragon relationship to come through or I should do a blanket wait list approach which is a bit counterintuitive to me as watch sales is relationship business.

Any thoughts?
so now 2018 u got yr 5711?
nakedtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 01:53 AM   #45
verse214
"TRF" Member

Quote:
try this...

The majority of AD's I've spoken to will not accept any payment whatsoever and I have offered to pay in full at every single one.
Old 10 January 2018, 03:24 AM   #46
The B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Absolutly.
The B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 03:56 AM   #47
sgfortino
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nerd
I certainly think relationships matter greatly but I do think there are opportunities to get lucky if you are persistent. I called around in September to all smaller market ADs in the US and was laughed at by most but one indicated they were getting a blue 5711 in the following week and I could have it. I had no prior relationship with this AD and just got very lucky. But, having said that, I have since asked them about getting a 5712 and because I now have a relationship with them am further up on that list than I may otherwise have been and should get one of the next ones they get. Keep calling...good things can happen.
sgfortino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 12:30 PM   #48
CKL1213
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The majority of AD's I've spoken to will not accept any payment whatsoever and I have offered to pay in full at every single one.
I surrender...
Old 11 January 2018, 02:14 PM   #49
gaeleus
"TRF" Member

5711 waitlist

Please note that I ve done some calling around in the last 3 months and have found it extremely hard to get on wait lists or even have ADs accept deposits. Some have been matter of fact telling me there is no way they can get me one. Some have even laughed and been rude. I have an established relationship of several years and about 6 high end watches with an AD. This is a well known AD in Philadelphia that is on the list provided by the OP. I have spoken to the general manager and he refused to place me on the list stating that it is way too long. So, sometimes having a long term relationship is worth nothing.... and I have purchased brand new Pateks and APs from him before.... at least two of the ADs on this list won’t take deposits anymore....
gaeleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 02:29 PM   #50
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

I use to tell people to call around as that’s what I did and it worked. That was 2015. Those days are over...for now.
Old 11 January 2018, 09:24 PM   #51
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I use to tell people to call around as that’s what I did and it worked. That was 2015. Those days are over...for now.
Those days are over for a long time! Anyway, I called around this past April and found an AD that took a deposit for a 5711 blue with delivery end of 2017 (I know, that passed) to early 2018. We shall see at this point. Things have changed the last few years, even more so recently and these things are becoming even more impossible to obtain.
Old 11 January 2018, 10:18 PM   #52
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I think ultimately if you're trying to build a relationship with an AD in order to get pieces like the 5711 then you need to figure out if you're really a collector who wants to buy a lot of watches over time, like 1-2 per year. If so, it's probably worth it to build that relationship.

The reasoning is, there will be limited pieces in the future. As an example, consider the new Patek pilot piece, advanced research pieces, anniversary pieces, enamel world time, etc... If your real endgame is application pieces then it makes sense to build that relationship. If not, then it probably doesn't matter.

Non-application pieces like the 5711 or for other brands something like the ceramic Daytona are attainable with a bit of effort as many in this thread have mentioned. Something like an enamel world time at MSRP is simply not attainable unless you have the relationship.
AGREED.

If you are into PP and have had a few pieces from your AD and shared a few cognacs with him/her, the wait list simply evaporates. It just doesn't come into the picture.

I ordered my blue 5711 almost as an afterthought when picking up a 5146 having purchased a few more PP's from him over the years (all non Nautilus). More or less on my way out of the AD, I just said "Hey XX can you get me one of those - price is quite low for a PP and something I could wear everyday." He said "it could take a while" and said, "no worries" and didn't think anything else of it...We didn't talk deposits or wait lists or anything.

He called me up a five months later saying it had arrived. I paid over the phone and collected a few weeks later.
I was in a hurry when I collected, and didn't even pick up the papers and box which were left in his safe so he knows that' i'm hardly in it for speculation and locking in a "profit".

Now the AD faces a choice, he can either supply the 1-3 pieces he gets a year, as above, OR to someone completely unknown who storms in from the street offering the pay the full MSRP now and asking about wait lists and delivery time....
His choice isn't a difficult one...

Although I have every sympathy for those trying to acquire this watch at MSRP in a reasonable time, I can't help but think you're wasting your time and effort which could be deployed elsewhere to greater satisfaction. Patek unequivocally have nicer offerings in their range (I mean the 5227 > 5711 by miles) but there's this need to buy the "zeitgeist" watch of the moment which I don't understand. the 5711 is NOT that nice a watch. I keep saying it.

Then you think about the AD relationship dynamics and it's like trying to secure a new Ferrari F12TDF as your first Ferrari...

Good luck in your hunt!
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 11:28 PM   #53
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

I’ll take my black Daytona over a 5711 any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 11:48 AM   #54
CKL1213
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaeleus View Post
Please note that I ve done some calling around in the last 3 months and have found it extremely hard to get on wait lists or even have ADs accept deposits. Some have been matter of fact telling me there is no way they can get me one. Some have even laughed and been rude. I have an established relationship of several years and about 6 high end watches with an AD. This is a well known AD in Philadelphia that is on the list provided by the OP. I have spoken to the general manager and he refused to place me on the list stating that it is way too long. So, sometimes having a long term relationship is worth nothing.... and I have purchased brand new Pateks and APs from him before.... at least two of the ADs on this list won’t take deposits anymore....
Sometimes the reality hurts as 6 watches in several years doesn't get into your AD VIP list yet.

Perhaps another guy who bought 6 watches in 1 year goes into the list.

No choice we have to source for grey dealer
Old 12 January 2018, 11:51 AM   #55
CKL1213
"TRF" Member

I've bought 5 watches with my AD also in several years time, I was thinking 5 watches not bad...

End up during all these years, I don't even get any polishing cloths from them
Old 13 January 2018, 04:28 AM   #56
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sometimes the reality hurts as 6 watches in several years doesn't get into your AD VIP list yet.

Perhaps another guy who bought 6 watches in 1 year goes into the list.

No choice we have to source for grey dealer
Bro - take him and his wife for dinner or something.
Spend and dollars matter of course, but so does building a genuinely friendly relationship....
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2018, 10:39 PM   #57
verse214
"TRF" Member

This was the thread that brought me to TRF several months ago. After going off of this thread and calling several AD's for a 5711 as a gift for my dad, an AD offered me a 5712. I decided to put a deposit down to purchase the watch myself and it has finally arrived! It took a little bit of waiting but I believe I got very lucky as it is my first Patek. The AD was extremely professional and kind.
Old 30 August 2018, 10:53 PM   #58
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

5711 Waitlist Experience and Information

Quote:
This was the thread that brought me to TRF several months ago. After going off of this thread and calling several AD's for a 5711 as a gift for my dad, an AD offered me a 5712. I decided to put a deposit down to purchase the watch myself and it has finally arrived! It took a little bit of waiting but I believe I got very lucky as it is my first Patek. The AD was extremely professional and kind.

Congrats! There is still hope! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 August 2018, 11:34 PM   #59
Analysing You
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Without question, here in London, relationships is everything.
Analysing You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2018, 11:36 PM   #60
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Well done! Not an easy piece to buy these days.