The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 January 2018, 04:53 PM   #1
Jsc37
"TRF" Member

Received BLNR back from Dallas RSC and still broken

I had to send my year old BLNR in for service because the hour hand was badly misaligned...at the top of the hour it sat half way between the hour markers. There was a dent on the crown which my AD noted in the paperwork before sending in to Dallas. My wife believes she may have bumped it into the counter when she was wearing it and did not notice any issues at the time. I noticed the missaligment when I went to set it a few weeks later, not positive the ding is related but it is certainly possible.

Rolex had it for 6 weeks and said it was fixed free of charge. All the paperwork notes for service is checking the movement and hands. It looked good in store when I picked it up, but a few hours later I noticed a slight misalignment. When I moved the hour hand I felt some play in terms of when I could get it to stop. I moved the hour hand around a few rotations and all of the sudden it stopped clicking between hour markers...it just freely spins. When I move the minute hand the hour hand ocassionally freezes in place. Any idea what what the issue is? I am surprised that Rolex had it for 6 weeks and didn’t see there was an issue to fix. Based on the services listed it doesn’t seem like they actually did anything and now it’s gotten even worse. I’m pretty worried there may be some significant damage to the movement...although it does seem to run just fine despite issues setting and misaligned hand.
Jsc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 05:52 PM   #2
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
What did Dallas RSC say about this when you contacted them?

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 07:24 PM   #3
lovetherolex
Banned

Luckily you are under warranty if there's a recurring defect in the movement, though it is a real downer to have to be without the watch for another stretch.

I'm also curious about how specifically the issue was described to RSC, or if they gave you the old, "They'll see what's wrong with it and fix it."
lovetherolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 09:06 PM   #4
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Pix?

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 09:15 PM   #5
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
it Sounds like an issue that has been repeatedly reported here, especially from the early 3186 movements. Also reported in the 3187’s too. You need to send it back again, obviously, and hope they actually fix it this time and not just look at it.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 09:30 PM   #6
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Send it back in. They will make it right.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 10:32 PM   #7
WatchinMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Saxonia Moonphase
Agree, send it back.
WatchinMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 12:21 AM   #8
Jsc37
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherolex View Post
Luckily you are under warranty if there's a recurring defect in the movement, though it is a real downer to have to be without the watch for another stretch.

I'm also curious about how specifically the issue was described to RSC, or if they gave you the old, "They'll see what's wrong with it and fix it."
At the time it was just misaligned hands which I discussed with the ADs watchmaker (he is the one who pointed out the ding in the crown and said because of that it may not be covered under warranty- I had never seen it before that point). I don’t know exactly how it was described by the AD to the service center. The BLNR is the only watch I have bought from this AD so don’t have much of a relationship with them (all my other watches come from another AD which sourced me a Daytona C). I just got the watch back yesterday so haven’t been back to the store yet.

I have a fairly large collection so I have other watches to keep me occupied but I am pretty disappointed to have to send it back the next day. I am also worried it won’t be covered under warranty because of the ding...it was my wife who caused that one but she insists it was not that significant of an impact with the counter. She said that it happened some time ago and she didn’t see the ding so I don’t know if it’s related....I hadn’t been wearing the watch very often the last few months because of my new Daytona. It is what it is I guess if it’s not covered under warranty, but it’s a double dissapoinment that the issue wasn’t fixed over the last month and a half. From the comments and some googling of my own it sounds like this is a known issue, so I’m surprised nothing seems to have been done to correct it.
Jsc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 12:59 AM   #9
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Sorry to hear about your trouble....I'm liking my little 3185 (16710) more and more every day.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 05:27 AM   #10
Duende01
"TRF" Member

Might be worth reading the book to ensure that you are operating the crown settings correctly.
Duende01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 06:52 AM   #11
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duende01 View Post
Might be worth reading the book to ensure that you are operating the crown settings correctly.
I do not think that there is any problem with him setting the time or operating his watch.

Back to the OP, when you send it back to RSC, ask them for expedited service since they messed up. They should be able to fix the problem within 2-3 weeks at most.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 08:26 AM   #12
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris72 View Post
I do not think that there is any problem with him setting the time or operating his watch.

Back to the OP, when you send it back to RSC, ask them for expedited service since they messed up. They should be able to fix the problem within 2-3 weeks at most.
Have you or anyone you know ever been successful in asking an RSC for expedited service? I wasn't aware such a thing existed with Rolex.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 08:16 PM   #13
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjr View Post
Have you or anyone you know ever been successful in asking an RSC for expedited service? I wasn't aware such a thing existed with Rolex.
Nope, but might be worth the try. I only used them twice, NYC RSC for bracelet fitting and Dallas RSC for under warranty crown repair - took 4 weeks. When I spoke with Dallas, they were really nice. I used Breitling RSC successfully, had the Chronomat back in about a week after they messed up while watch went for complete overhaul service.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote