The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 January 2018, 08:36 AM   #91
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

It should also be mentioned that the Speedy Pro is essentially a 40mm watch, since the bezel is 39.7mm. They measure 42mm from part of the integrated crown guards.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 09:33 AM   #92
off
"TRF" Member

Watch: DaytonaC & GMT
Just going through this thread I can see that Rolex would not release a 42mm+ variant of the Daytona. While I wouldn't mind the option, the market speaks, and has voted with their chequebook and long queues.

Look at the 116600, discontinued after three years. I may have thought it was a great variant, but the market in general did not, and Rolex axed it.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 09:36 PM   #93
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatimerfla View Post

Rolex has proven to the dismay of purists that they are willing to offer different sizes across the popular sports model range minus the GMT.

All Subs are 40mm
All EXP2 are 42mm
All EXP1 are 39mm
All Sky D are 42mm
All GMT are 40mm (as you've pointed out)

Only the Sea Dweller's (43 and Deepsea) are different sizes at 43 and 44 mm. But they are quite different watches in look and construction and WR.

Whilst you may think that the SD43 is "just" a bigger Sub date, it is in fact quite different, and at a one third higher price point, its not even an option for those for whom a Sub date is expensive enough as it is. If it was $500 more expensive than the sub then yes, I would accept that it could be propertly considered as a bigger option, but its not. Its nearly $1,000 dollars per mm more.

So the reality is that Rolex are not willing to offer different sizes across the popular sports model range, so your argument that they do does not stack up. At all.

So for Rolex to produce the Daytona in standard and large sizes woudl be to go completly against Rolex convention as regards the sports models.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote