The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 November 2017, 09:44 AM   #31
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I was speaking relative to not wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle.
Got it...Thanks,

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 10:02 AM   #32
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Stopped by the Apple store today and picked up the midnight blue leather case. Saddle brown was too light for me.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 10:12 AM   #33
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
No but it is silly to not protect glass for $39.99 on a $1200 phone. Sure beats walking around with a cracked phone.
The price for Apple to replace a cracked screen range from $29-$269 depending on if you have Apple Care and the model. My 8 would cost $149 to repair out of warranty. I’ve never liked the feel of those glass and film protectors. I’ve also never cracked a screen so I’m willingly to keep the screen free.

I love Speck cases. I stupidly purchased a Caseology case for the new phone. The ones from Speck seem to be much higher quality.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 11:16 AM   #34
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
This is wrong.

Those film screen protectors do nothing.

Tempered glass screen protectors should always be used.

My piont wasn't the falibility of the phone but that for a Orson looking after a watch or many watches worth thousands of dollars you should be careful enough to look after a phone. Also give n the average person gets a new phone with every year or second year, a few scuffs isn't a deal breaker for something that will end up in the bin.

Putting all the protections on it is a bit like never peeling off the protective plastic from a new watch. What's the piont of getting g something with aesthetically pleasing design and then coveting it up and Eben altering tge aesthetic all together.

I stopped covering my phone when the iPhone 5 came out and I've never been klutz enough to break. If I did when do be it is just get another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 11:24 AM   #35
Kneecough
"TRF" Member

No case for me. I prefer the look and feel of the “naked” phone.

Probably the Apple leather case if I ever ended up with one.
Kneecough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 11:25 AM   #36
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post
My piont wasn't the falibility of the phone but that for a Orson looking after a watch or many watches worth thousands of dollars you should be careful enough to look after a phone. Also give n the average person gets a new phone with every year or second year, a few scuffs isn't a deal breaker for something that will end up in the bin.

Putting all the protections on it is a bit like never peeling off the protective plastic from a new watch. What's the piont of getting g something with aesthetically pleasing design and then coveting it up and Eben altering tge aesthetic all together.

I stopped covering my phone when the iPhone 5 came out and I've never been klutz enough to break. If I did when do be it is just get another.

You don't seem to have any experience with tempered glass screen protectors.

It's a thin piece of glass that lies on top of the screen. It does not alter the aesthetic or design in any way. You can't even tell it's there. That argument can be made for cases, but for not screen protectors.

I've never broken a phone screen. I'm not clumsy or accident prone, but it can happen. When it does happen, especially for people using the most delicate modern phone ever made, the screen protector acts to absorb the impact and will shatter instead of the screen itself.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 11:28 AM   #37
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

I use a screen protector because scratches on the screen bother me. If you keep your phone in your pocket, you will get scratches guaranteed. If my screen protector gets scratches, I just peel it off and put a new one on. Knowing that it will help if I ever drop my phone is just icing on the cake.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 11:41 AM   #38
Dauntless
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clock View Post
For the X, I’m considering Speck Presidio Grip or something from UAG.
The Wirecutter.com claims all the tempered glass screen protectors are the same.

Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
Speck Presidio is great! Works as described with shock absorbsion zones. I have the 8 and dropped it about 5 feet onto asphalt the other day. Nothing happened.
Dauntless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 12:49 PM   #39
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
You don't seem to have any experience with tempered glass screen protectors.

I have plenty. I don't know why you would say that this is obvious bases on my comments. In fact, quite opposite in relation to the topic. I just don't think that it is necessary. If you're a klutz or you throw your phone around a bit then you probably need one. I also understand that I'm in the minority as most people use them. I would say though using my a scratchless screen to type this that for those readers out there that tend to put protection on once in your phones life rather than multiple times then you should try it. A much better experience. IMHO.

watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 04:52 PM   #40
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post
Rarely use cases. If I do, I only use for first few months while new. As for screen protectors. Never. They do nothing.

Agree

I use a case as its easier to grip the phone, but a screen protector while it protects the screen, it's similar to the wearing stickers on a new watch argument IMO. Ive tried many screen protectors and it never makes the screen look better and detracts from appearance of the phone, to me at least.

Even a case detracts from the design aesthetics of the phone and makes a beautifully designed phone less so and adds bulk. If it was easier to grip without one I would probably not do a case either.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 04:54 AM   #41
Ripcode
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Icon14

Magpul Field case for my 8 Plus and no screen protector. That is the same setup I have used on my previous (2) versions of the iPhone.
Ripcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 02:17 PM   #42
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I use Otterbox cases and have done so for years. They're drop tested and can actually withstand a drop. I bought my mum an iPhone 8 and an Otterbox clear Symmetry case to go with. She drops her phone with monotonous regularity and it's held up well so far. I have the same case on my 8+.

As for screen protectors, something else that's well worth the investment. I had a Belkin one fitted to my 8+ in an Apple Store back home last month and had the same version fitted to Ma Van D's 8. I'm very impressed with mine; crystal clear and the fingerprints wipe off with a soft dry cloth, no drama.

I've noticed the Apple Stores all have this gadgety thing now that allows them to fit screen protectors that are precisely aligned and no irritating air bubbles. Well worth a trip to your local Apple store and have them do it for you.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 02:21 PM   #43
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
Otter box!
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 02:33 PM   #44
Reddy_Kilowatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16220 & 216570
Tech 21 case. No screen protector.
Reddy_Kilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 03:26 PM   #45
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I don't do Apple, but I've used Otterbox on at least a half dozen phones and they do more than give excellent protection, they give me something to hold on to, besides the super-slim, slippery phones.

As for screen protectors, my experience is that Gorilla Glass is of superior quality and doesn't need extra protection any more than a sapphire crystal on a Rolex need extra protection.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 07:19 PM   #46
geebob
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyPro Explorer
Otterbox Defender here.

I've dropped my iPhone 7 on the floor several times now, the case protected it.
geebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2018, 10:05 AM   #47
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Apple leather case with no screen protector on my 8. Like the case a lot; black case makes the black phone almost look like there is no case.
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2018, 10:47 AM   #48
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I have always used the Tech 21 case. They are thin and offer great protection around the edge. Ive never had to use a screen protector.
Old 8 January 2018, 01:09 PM   #49
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Apple leather case on my X. I’ve had good luck with them in the past. No screen protector. I’m interested in the Apple installed screen protector someone mentioned above.

swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2018, 03:22 PM   #50
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

What is the difference between a phone case and tempered glass than stickers and wrappings for a watch?

I mean we spend $30 for a $1200 to protect our phone, but our watches can cost $10-50,000. What about aftermarket stickers and wrappings? Why is it silly that we buy protective covering for our phone and screen, but it is taboo to put stickers and wrappings on our watches(case and crystal)?

It's different than keeping tags on clothes as a watch has tags too. This is about protecting an item/investment for those that look at them as one.

For the record, I always have a phone case and always have a tempered glass screen protector on my phone but I also take all the wrapping and stickers off my watches before I wear them out for the first time. This was just a shower thought that popped up the other day.
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 04:06 AM   #51
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Thule Case and Zagg Glass.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 03:10 AM   #52
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

No takers?
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 03:20 AM   #53
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
I am using a Spigen Liquid Air case and one of my very own Flexible Glass H9 Screenprotecting films

bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 03:22 AM   #54
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFLARE View Post
What is the difference between a phone case and tempered glass than stickers and wrappings for a watch?
Unfortunately, several times in a year, I drop my phone.
I don't want always to buy a new display everytime that it happens.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 03:31 AM   #55
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Which iPhone case and screen protector ?

Tozo case - I’d rather not have one at all, and this meets the need to retain wireless charging, minimal thickness/weight, while giving some slip/scratch protection.
amFilm glass screen protector - Chose this based on reviews that said it outperformed Zagg,et al while being significantly less expensive ($7.99 for a 3 pack)

Both have exceeded my expectations.

Tozo - https://www.amazon.com/TOZO-Thinnest.../dp/B07569T3NM

amFilm - https://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Protec.../dp/B074ZNLM9J
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 04:39 AM   #56
walds11
"TRF" Member

Currently, I’m using the Catayst Impact Protection Case army green color and Belkin Anti-Glare screen protector.

https://www.catalystcase.com/product...e-for-iphone-x

The case is probably the most slim Impact case out there. Or at least that I’ve seen or used. The screen protector was installed at Apple Store using a special machine. Perfectly aligned install and no bubbles.

I’m eyeing this minimalist case up:

https://www.ipitaka.com/products/mag...t=900958912540

Looks pretty slick, but pricey.
Old 17 January 2018, 05:32 AM   #57
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
I have an 'otter', seems heavy/bulky, but I have dropped phone accidentally couple times, and the case protected my phone. No worries... until next time.
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 11:01 AM   #58
chieftd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sub, YM16623
I put a tempered glass screen protector from off Amazon. Cost $7 I think. Then ordered waterproof case for iphone 7 plus from Skinit. $35 and its custom graphic too. Works great so far just made the overall size bigger for sure.
chieftd is offline   Reply With Quote