The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 July 2016, 11:11 PM   #1
alexandre
"TRF" Member

Rolex Explorer 214270 Update to 2016 model

Dear All,

I’m the proud owner of a Rolex Explorer 1 214270 – 39 mm and I’m in love of the new 2016 Explorer version with new Dial 3/6/9 Chroma lite and long Hands.

Do you know if a Rolex AD service center will accept to replace the previous set of Dial and Hands by the new ones ?

I cross my fingers because the references between the previous model and new one are the same.....perhaps Rolex will accept to update to do it ?

Thanks in advance for your reply
alexandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2016, 11:23 PM   #2
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
I think I read some were in a previous post that the answer is "yes" they will replace dial and hands during a service interval for a cost. However, this may vary depending on where you send it to get serviced. I would phone RSC and ask them personally.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 02:28 AM   #3
Art Vandelay
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270,16710,14060
I called about this because I'm tired of waiting for the Basel 2016 version. I contact the RSC in Dallas and was told they would do it but not while the watch is in warranty. Once out of warranty they will do it for a price of course. She also said the watch has to be a 2015 version? I didn't ask about the particulars of why, but that's what she said. I'm choosing to wait it out although it's getting tougher by the day. I would prefer a late model 1016 but I can see that is probably never going to happen. I have a deposit on the new Explorer and the AD (they are a Rolex Boutique) at first said July, now looking more like Aug-Sept.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 03:35 AM   #4
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
I just got off the phone with RSC in NY and spoke to a customer rep who stated the new hands can NOT be put on an older 39mm Explorer. She stated the watch was not configured for the new hands and therefore if I wanted the new hands I would have to purchase the new model.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 03:51 AM   #5
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags View Post
I just got off the phone with RSC in NY and spoke to a customer rep who stated the new hands can NOT be put on an older 39mm Explorer. She stated the watch was not configured for the new hands and therefore if I wanted the new hands I would have to purchase the new model.
I didn't realize you had to configure a watch for specific hands ?! Sounds like complete BS to me.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 03:58 AM   #6
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
I didn't realize you had to configure a watch for specific hands ?! Sounds like complete BS to me.
Just got off the phone with service rep at RSC in Dallas & she wasn't sure but she told me to email her a pic of my explorer & what I wanted done and she would look into it for me. Email sent & I'll advise when I hear back from them. It seems they just want you to purchase a new watch. Maybe Rik or Vanessa will know about this.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Old 21 July 2016, 05:58 AM   #7
Art Vandelay
"TRF" Member

Hey Rags,

You know when I spoke to Dallas RSC yesterday she was also a bit unsure and it sounded like she was guessing a bit at some of what she was telling me. I would bet we spoke to the same person. Very nice, just seemed a little unsure.
Old 21 July 2016, 06:05 AM   #8
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Hey Rags,

You know when I spoke to Dallas RSC yesterday she was also a bit unsure and it sounded like she was guessing a bit at some of what she was telling me. I would bet we spoke to the same person. Very nice, just seemed a little unsure.
You're probably right. I can't see why you couldn't do it if the watches use the same movement. Rolex just likes to be a pain in the ass. It's our way or no way!!!

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Old 21 July 2016, 06:17 AM   #9
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
On the TZ Rolex forum, it has been discussed that Rolex Service Center will replace the hands on the previous version of the 39MM EXP1 with the longer ones, but not to the new dial, when you turn in your watch for servicing.

Frankly, I don't see what the big deal is and while the updated model looks cool, I ended up purchasing the previous model yesterday with short stubby hands. Looks fine to me and the price is great.
yjfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 06:23 AM   #10
Ragna
Banned

I can see those t-rex hands with wg numerals being something really expensive and sought after in the future. imo
Ragna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 08:28 AM   #11
Anthon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I think some on this forum are making this too complicated, even to the point of pestering RSC's.

Look, even if you replace the hands, you still end up with a weird, non-existing watch model. You will have the 2010 white gold numerals, with the 2016 hands. You will not have an original. Don't they call this a Frankenstein?
Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 08:45 AM   #12
yjfang
"TRF" Member

I just received my 39MM EXP1 with the t rex hands. It looks fine to me. These blown up pics online tend to exaggerates things. Oh and I prefer the white gold 3-6-9 markers. It is more versatile - can get really shiny or disappear depending on the angle.
Old 21 July 2016, 09:37 AM   #13
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragna View Post
I can see those t-rex hands with wg numerals being something really expensive and sought after in the future. imo
I am inclined to agree with you....
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 10:25 AM   #14
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
That's utter BS about having to "re-configure" the whole watch for the new hands. Wow.

We have a member that sent his in for service and they did it for him without even asking, I believe. So yes, it can be done.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 10:43 AM   #15
yjfang
"TRF" Member

I plan on keeping my T Rex EXP 1 intact. So I will be avoiding RSC when servicing is needed.
Old 21 July 2016, 10:54 AM   #16
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthon View Post
I think some on this forum are making this too complicated, even to the point of pestering RSC's.

Look, even if you replace the hands, you still end up with a weird, non-existing watch model. You will have the 2010 white gold numerals, with the 2016 hands. You will not have an original. Don't they call this a Frankenstein?
I don't believe anyone including myself is pestering RSC. I want info on changing the hands on my watch if I choose to do so. It's my prerogative to call and ask questions and get answers.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Old 21 July 2016, 12:15 PM   #17
Javier2.0t
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:

Not if Rolex is doing it.
Don't be a killjoy.
Javier2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 12:33 PM   #18
S.C
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
I reckon there will be some collectors value/interest to those short handed explorers down the line. Collectors love when Rolex messes up! Just my opinion though if I had one I wouldn't change them!
S.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 05:22 PM   #19
Anthon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags View Post
I don't believe anyone including myself is pestering RSC. I want info on changing the hands on my watch if I choose to do so. It's my prerogative to call and ask questions and get answers.
Sir, you called Rolex a 'pain in the ass'. Elsewhere a good and unsuspecting female employee of a very specific RSC is branded as 'unsure' and you react positively to that. That is your prerogative as well, but allow me my opinion about pestering as well.
Old 21 July 2016, 05:33 PM   #20
Anthon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier2.0t View Post
Not if Rolex is doing it.
Don't be a killjoy.
So far we have just one post 'confirming' this!
People can do whatever they like with their watches, I really don't care. But this negativity regarding the T-rex has now reached a level that we are labelling RSC employees as unsure when they are confronted out of the blue with an issue that only exists here on the forums (and don't have immediate answers).

The new Explorer is a sportier design, with lumed numerals, longer and fatter hour and minute hands. Too fat in my opinion, but I have not seen one in real life so take that with a grain of salt. Will those fat hands still work well with the shiny elegant white gold numerals of the 2010 Explorer? Just curious.
Old 21 July 2016, 06:49 PM   #21
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.C View Post
I reckon there will be some collectors value/interest to those short handed explorers down the line. Collectors love when Rolex messes up! Just my opinion though if I had one I wouldn't change them!
Yes this is very true. In twenty years from now, people will think that those who swapped hands and dials were as mad as a fish.

If history teaches us one thing, it is to leave well alone.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 08:50 PM   #22
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
Yes this is very true. In twenty years from now, people will think that those who swapped hands and dials were as mad as a fish.

If history teaches us one thing, it is to leave well alone.

Regards

Mick
I must admit I have thought about leaving my watch alone & just living with the shorter hands. It's only when you see enlarged photos that you can really tell that they are out of proportion.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Old 22 July 2016, 01:39 AM   #23
Splash
"TRF" Member

I examined the older Explorer I at an AD a couple of weeks ago, and it looks fantastic. Seeing it in person, never once did I think the hands were too short. The more relevant aesthetic question is the 3-6-9: Gold or Lumed?

For those wishing to change theirs, remember the new version is just hitting the shelves now. One AD told me November before they would have any availability! Once the new version is widely available, things might be a bit different.
Splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 02:54 AM   #24
captain_NEMO
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
I have the T-Rex model, and there was a short period of time where I did question my love for it. For a few days I contemplated selling it - hell, I even took an ad out at Craigslist. Got an offer the very next day, albeit slightly lower than my asking, but it was a feasible deal nonetheless.

But, I thankfully came to my senses, realizing why I got this watch in the first place. The thin profile, the WG, the understated look. It's like two strangers learning to fall in love again...I get the joy of rediscovering her. I'm forever hers, faithfully.

Kinda like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMD8hBsA-RI

captain_NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 02:59 AM   #25
yjfang
"TRF" Member

2nd day on the t-rex EXP for me. I love this watch. Perfect size, dial design, for Sports and Elegance. This watch is so versatile. So underrated.
Old 22 July 2016, 03:03 AM   #26
Art Vandelay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sir, you called Rolex a 'pain in the ass'. Elsewhere a good and unsuspecting female employee of a very specific RSC is branded as 'unsure' and you react positively to that. That is your prerogative as well, but allow me my opinion about pestering as well.
Easy big fella on the "unsure" part. The woman I spoke too, who was very nice I might add, was unsure if they would replace the dial or not. I don't fault her for not knowing. I was probably one of the first to ask her a question like that for the Explorer that has not even made it to a TX AD yet. She then went on to say they would. No big deal.
Old 22 July 2016, 06:00 AM   #27
yjfang
"TRF" Member

One could argue that the hands on the updated EXP1 might be too thick. It's all relative. I was looking at the Maxi dial on my 16610LV and the hands are not as thick when compared to the jumbo sized hands of the updated EXP1 relative to its dial.
Old 23 July 2016, 07:10 AM   #28
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Today I received a phone call from RSC Dallas in response to a email that I sent regarding the changing of the shorter hands on the 39mm Explorer to the newer longer hands. Their response was that they will NOT replace the hands because according to the service rep it would be like Rolex reconfiguring their own watch to suit an individual's wants. The rep tried to justify it by saying that the newer hands had blue chromalight lume while some watches had green chromalight lume. I told the rep that my watch had blue chromalight indexes and the same movement as the new model so what was the problem and the rep just stated that Rolex is Rolex and that's the way they want it. If the hands on my watch need replacement they will replace it with the shorter hands that came with the watch. So there you have it. The only way that anyone can get their hands replaced on an older Explorer is to have a watchmaker with a Rolex account get the hands and have it replaced by the watchmaker but now if after the hands are replaced you have the watch serviced by Rolex they might change the hands back to the original.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Old 24 July 2016, 01:35 PM   #29
Fatkidzluvcake
"TRF" Member

Why change it when u originally bought it/caught your eye the way that it is? I love mine, T~Rex hands and all... This watch is now famous for it ;)
Fatkidzluvcake is offline   Reply With Quote