The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 July 2016, 06:47 PM   #1
Greg G
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C
So why should I remain a Rolex owner?

I bought a 116610 in 2012 from a trusted seller here. Very smooth transaction, and a very nice watch. A few months ago the watch stopped running sometimes. I took it to a local to me (Houston) repair store that was recommended by a member on this board. The service wasn't up to standards IMO. I spent $541.00, the watch was reassembled with a faulty part, the unidirectional click for the bezel, and it loses 6 seconds per day.

I can replace the click myself, and posted a thread for asking to buy the part, with no responses so far. I know people on here with a Rolex parts account have seen my thread. It looks like I will have to send the watch to a Rolex service center to get it repaired correctly, and spend another 5-600 dollars plus shipping.

I don't enjoy being a Rolex owner very much right now. Why should I even keep this thing?

GradyPhilpott
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 06:52 PM   #2
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II ceramic
That is why I buy new from AD. My GMTIIc stopped working and RSC repaired it at no cost to me under the 5 year warranty.

But to answer your question, I am 6 Rolex household and lately I have been fascinated with IWC.
Sold - Daytona 116523; YM 116622; Datejust 16233
zion_rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 06:53 PM   #3
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
does the guy who repaired it not stand warranty on his work ... that would be my first thought.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 06:56 PM   #4
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
How old was the watch when you bought it? If it wasn't brand new then it'll be due a service around about now, won't it?

It's not the brand's fault if the watch has gone tits up after you had it repaired by an independent. First thing I'd be doing though is taking my issues up with the repair facility that appears to have done a poor job.

It's a shame you've had such a duff experience but there's no law forcing you to be brand loyal.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 07:12 PM   #5
Greg G
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
How old was the watch when you bought it? If it wasn't brand new then it'll be due a service around about now, won't it?

It's not the brand's fault if the watch has gone tits up after you had it repaired by an independent. First thing I'd be doing though is taking my issues up with the repair facility that appears to have done a poor job.

It's a shame you've had such a duff experience but there's no law forcing you to be brand loyal.
Thank you for your candor.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=414337

GradyPhilpott
Old 22 July 2016, 07:12 PM   #6
ming the merciless
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the world of expensive watches. I know it's a bummer but high service costs can sometimes go with the territory.

I would never put my watches in the hands of anyone other than the makers or their appointed service agents.

My El Primero is away at the moment for a service - 8 weeks and £575 at least - but you have to bite the bullet. Do it once and do it right.
ming the merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 07:16 PM   #7
Greg G
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ming the merciless View Post
Welcome to the world of expensive watches. I know it's a bummer but high service costs can sometimes go with the territory.

I would never put my watches in the hands of anyone other than the makers or their appointed service agents.

My El Primero is away at the moment for a service - 8 weeks and £575 at least - but you have to bite the bullet. Do it once and do it right.

I wish I had sent it to the RSC in Dallas now. To get the watch back to original specs I will have to, and will pay again. Lesson learned.

GradyPhilpott
Old 22 July 2016, 07:35 PM   #8
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

All the reputable watchmakers around me locally offer a 1—2 year warranty.... Sounds like a bad recommendation and someone needs to step up unless there's some detail missing.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 07:57 PM   #9
16610v
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
If it is new Rolex watch I don't find a reason not sending to Rolex Service Center to repair it especially it costed you over $500 that should not be higher in RSC.

For vintage watch, that's just opposite, RSC may destroy the originality of the watch.
16610v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 08:18 PM   #10
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

quite amazing that it cost that much. hindsight is 20/20, but, RSC would probably have been a better call.

anyway, to answer your question, there is no rational reason to keep your watch if you no longer see the value or enjoy it. cut your losses, sell it and move on.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 08:24 PM   #11
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
And thank you for not taking my comments the wrong way.

I cannot believe that someone who wants to be taken seriously as a watch repairer would pass of that receipt as something bearing a remote resemblance to a service report. Shocking, plan and simple. And who in their right mind would require their watch to run six seconds slow per day? That defies logic. Is there not a regulatory authority that you could take this issue up with (in the UK, we have Trading Standards)? It could be worth spending a couple hundred bucks to get an hour's worth of advice from your lawyer, but another member might come along with some more practical (or less expensive) advice.

I hope you get your watch sorted and have some successful recourse against that establishment that botched it. Good luck

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 08:51 PM   #12
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
You own a great watch that needs to be repaired. Send it to RSC, pay, wait and when it comes back you will have a great watch that runs right. We all live and learn. I would not be down on the brand due to a botched service or a time element of when it occurred. Once the watch is back, wear it and enjoy it. After a bit if it still does not work for you. Sell it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 08:55 PM   #13
Star Ferry
Banned

While you've bad bad luck so far, changing brands probably won't help. Rolex service cost, frequency and turnaround time tend to be better than many other luxury watch brands

Sent from my SM-G9200 using Tapatalk
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 09:15 PM   #14
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I'm about to send out one of my watches for servicebut that's why for regular service I send it to RSC. For something that requires special care, I send them to someone I trust who will always make it right. Pretty much holds true for all brands.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 09:41 PM   #15
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
I don't enjoy being a Rolex owner very much right now. Why should I even keep this thing?
Sorry to hear about your issues.

You have several choices, sell it as is, get it serviced properly and see if you like it, if not sell it and move on.

Good luck.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 09:48 PM   #16
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
I know how you feel. I bought a new Breitling once and it needed service within the first month. When it came back it was somehow never the same and I sold it.

I bought a new Omega Ploprof and it had a defect we didn't notice until I had it for a week. My local AD exchanged it for me and I still have and love the watch.

My Daytona had some gunk on the dial. I wore it for 1.9 years and then sent it in for service under warranty. That was my 10 year anniversary watch so it is very special to me.

My point is that a great watch can retain bad feelings like that. The same way a crappy watch that was handed down by a parent might hold positive feelings.

Rolex is by no means perfect. But in my experience none of them are as I outlined above.

If the watch makes you angry every time you look at it then flip it. I'm sure you'll buy another one someday and maybe it will be a keeper.

I wish you luck whatever you choose.
Old 22 July 2016, 09:55 PM   #17
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Sir I do not mean to be blunt but you should not expect your watch to run properly nor should you complain about a brand when you are not willing to get your watch serviced by that brand...you purchased the watch in 2012 so it is atleast 4 years old, probably more unless you purchased it new..it was due for a proper service..I see no reason to blame Rolex in this story.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 09:58 PM   #18
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
I bought a 116610 in 2012 from a trusted seller here. Very smooth transaction, and a very nice watch. A few months ago the watch stopped running sometimes. I took it to a local to me (Houston) repair store that was recommended by a member on this board. The service wasn't up to standards IMO. I spent $541.00, the watch was reassembled with a faulty part, the unidirectional click for the bezel, and it loses 6 seconds per day.

I can replace the click myself, and posted a thread for asking to buy the part, with no responses so far. I know people on here with a Rolex parts account have seen my thread. It looks like I will have to send the watch to a Rolex service center to get it repaired correctly, and spend another 5-600 dollars plus shipping.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. There are independents who are members I have used. It's just a matter of shipping it to them. In your case, it seems like sending it to RSC is the only way you'd be comfortable. I would not return to the person who did the work. No way I'd let them touch my watch.

Another thing the bezel on a 116610 rides on three ball bearings set on top of springs. It's unlike the click spring on five digit models. Also the bezel assembly needs to be put back on with a press. It isn't a DIY job.

Best of luck and I hope for a positive outcome for you
Old 22 July 2016, 10:08 PM   #19
77T

So why should I remain a Rolex owner?

Frustrating for sure...

In the thread you cited, there were other watchmakers recommended in Houston - did you choose the one who did the work after comparing the others?

Asking that because I have had varying experiences with independent watchmakers myself. I went through 2 previous ones with less than perfect experiences before finding my current (and excellent) one locally. Often a watchmaker can put on their listing "Rolex, Omega, Patek" and the level of quality work is variable.

I'd say you had a single poor experience with a guy - but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. Whether it was a Rolex, Omega or other brand he might have failed to meet your expectations.

An alternative title to the thread could also have been, "So why should I remain loyal to local uncertified watchmaker"

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 10:13 PM   #20
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Mechanical stuff breaks and needs adjustments. Happens with any brand. Don't let that discourage you.
Old 22 July 2016, 10:25 PM   #21
Brenngun

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Based on your 2 threads I have a few questions. What were the instructions given to Broyles when you gave them your watch? Did they write up a work order and give you a copy? Were you asking for a full service or something less? Based on the likely age of the watch and the fact that it would occasionally stop running a full service would have been indicated. The member who recommended them made a specific point that if the watch didn't need a full service they will only charge you for required repair. Trying to avoid the cost of a full service by limiting the work to be done will mostly cause more problems that resolve. I've seen claims of a "light service" in the past but frankly short of a basic regulation and other adjustments this kind of service is bogus JMHO.

Having said this based on the receipt you posted I'd say they did very little to your watch. Hard to recommend what you should do at this point without knowing what you asked them to do to begin with but assuming you wanted a full service I would report them to the BBB, the jeweller's association in your area, the AWCI and or the NAWCC. Then I would bite the bullet and send it to your nearest RSC for a full service. Your enjoyment of owning this watch will return when they send it back to you.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 12:03 AM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Houston should refund you or fix the work which I presume they guaranteed for a year or two, if you trust them. This is not Rolex's fault, you have made choices and these are the consequences, and as you say you have learned your lesson to research indies better or just to use RSC.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 12:27 AM   #23
Roadblocked
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 116520
Bummer about your experience but it sounds like you made some choices to try to save some money that ended up biting you. I don't think thats Rolex fault.

Isn't the old saying 'pay me now, or pay me later.' ?
Roadblocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 12:37 AM   #24
kromdom
"TRF" Member

pretty much all points of substance have already been made so all I have for you is best wishes to get your mind/heart/watch sorted out.
kromdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 12:42 AM   #25
mdgrwl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Dealer
If you brought it to the Houston service center and its still not working correct - send it to a better service center along with your Houston Reciept and demand it get fixed correctly. You shouldn't have to spend anymore money out of pocket if the Houston center did faulty work.

As to why you shouldn't ditch Rolex - nothing is perfect (No individual and no company). Sounds like you had a bunk service center experience... that doesnt' mean you give up on the company as a whole. That is rash.
mdgrwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 01:32 AM   #26
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
Mechanical stuff breaks and needs adjustments. Happens with any brand. Don't let that discourage you.

My sentiments exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 01:34 AM   #27
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
I wish I had sent it to the RSC in Dallas now. To get the watch back to original specs I will have to, and will pay again. Lesson learned.
True enough.

As my old grandfather used to say "There's no experience like the experience you pay for".

As a first step toward effecting a satisfactory repair, I would contact the person who did the work originally.
If they stand by their work it should all work out fine.
Unless of course you have lost all confidence in them.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 01:47 AM   #28
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
You own a great watch that needs to be repaired. Send it to RSC, pay, wait and when it comes back you will have a great watch that runs right. We all live and learn. I would not be down on the brand due to a botched service or a time element of when it occurred. Once the watch is back, wear it and enjoy it. After a bit if it still does not work for you. Sell it.
+1.

Good advice here. I understand the frustration; however, I would not let one instance ruin the entire ownership experience for you.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 02:45 AM   #29
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Understandable, to be sure. But, overall, it's a great brand, and once you get your watch fixed (correctly), it will be a great watch for you.

Hey, in for a penny, in for a pound, right?
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 02:47 AM   #30
silverbullet818
"TRF" Member

As in all things in life, you win some you lose some.

Appears in this case you 'lost' but as others before me have said, don't let that discourage you. Rolex is a good watch.
silverbullet818 is offline   Reply With Quote