The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 May 2017, 07:21 PM   #61
erikwayne13
"TRF" Member

If you like it wear it. Most don't see past it being a rolex anyhow.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
erikwayne13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 07:51 PM   #62
NLYogi
"TRF" Member

I think it depends on the dress code in your particular Company. If all your colleagues wear suit and tie, you should do the same. If they also wear very formal non-sports black leather strap dress watches, you should maybe blend in and do the same. In such environment white dial is just too much.

I think that the Polar looks great with a suit but you do not want to receive negative feedback of course.

1 Watch guy
NLYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 08:01 PM   #63
colin46
"TRF" Member

its just a watch, dont pigeonhole them, wear them when you want and with what you want.

comments like "its a dress watch, its a sports watch, i cant wear it because it might clash with the collour of my shirt"

if i want to wear a platinum daytona when im on my mountain bike, i will

if I want to wear a Breitling Bentley with a suit I will.

if i wear a better watch than my boss at work, i dont care, he spends his money on wants he wants and so do I.

who cares what others think.

its all boll***s, you bought it, wear it when and how you want.
colin46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 06:48 AM   #64
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim addy View Post
If you like flip flops, you should wear that with your suit too.

Jim
So you believe that a Rolex is like flip-flops?

Got it!
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 06:51 AM   #65
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Disagree.

It absolutely would go with a suit.

I see people comfortable wearing all types of watches with, and without suits.

Ultimately, people need to set their own style, and what either works or doesn't when it comes to what they feel comfortable wearing.
Exactly
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 06:57 AM   #66
tomchicago
Banned

Watch: 16710BLRO, 214270.
Despite what some ersatz James Bond or "active lifestyle" type might say, sport watches never go with a suit. Your picture says it all. Get a 36mm DJ Fluted bezel, either oyster with PCL or jubilee. I saw the 41mm DJ in person and the bezel is still too large imo (same with dd40), although both improvements from the priors.
tomchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 10:11 AM   #67
run23
"TRF" Member

16570 With a Suit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim addy View Post
If you like flip flops, you should wear that with your suit too.

Jim

Except that in my entire professional career I've seen zero people wear flip flops with a suit to the office, and 50-75% of people wearing 'sports' watches with a suit. So the analogy doesn't work at all.

Clearly sporty watches are acceptable with suits in 2017, the only question is whether someone can pull off a particular style with his personality and a given type of suit, and how formal and stuffy the environment is (e.g., NY investment bank versus a funeral).
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 10:15 AM   #68
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaap master View Post
I wear suits to work in a professional banking environment. I alternate between a black 16570, a blue fluted roman DJII, and a champagne dial DJ 16233.

Edit to add:
Many of my coworkers are wearing smart watches, fitbits, quartz watches, cheap watches, or no watches at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. Anything goes these days. I bet if you polled the folks that gasp at sport watches with a suit, they'd all be over 55. Wear what you like and enjoy the heck out of it!!

gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 11:21 AM   #69
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Wear it if you like it, but for me too much of a sports watch. Just my opinion though.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 12:15 PM   #70
rw2008
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex AP Patek
I wouldn't.

Not because it's a sports watch, but because it's probably the most sporty of Rolex sport watches. Off the top of my head, the only Rolex I think would look worse with a suit would be a YM 2 or a SD DeepSea James Cameron.

Sub, GMT, Daytona, Explorer 1 are all sports Rolexes that look dynamite with a suit.
rw2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 12:28 PM   #71
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Go for it. Yours is the only opinion that matters. No reason to give a rat's backside whatever the fashion police may think.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 12:38 PM   #72
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

I wear a watch with everything. Who cares, you'll look fine especially with that white dial and no one will probably notice. Honestly, this topic comes up regularly and there's always a faction of people who say nothing, strap only watch and then others say no watch and then some say any kind of watch.
Old 28 May 2017, 12:40 PM   #73
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

No Rolex watches are technically dress watches to be worn with a suit. That's what Cellini is for. HOWEVER, in this day and age, it really doesn't matter. Even Prince William/Harry wear a Seamaster/Exp II with a suit.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 12:42 PM   #74
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
i absolutely would not, but it's really a question of personal style and what works for you.
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 01:21 PM   #75
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by cht View Post
Oh god, these threads are getting just as bad as the "can I shower with my rolex on?" threads...
Sunny Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 01:25 PM   #76
luvsub
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw2008 View Post
I wouldn't.

Not because it's a sports watch, but because it's probably the most sporty of Rolex sport watches. Off the top of my head, the only Rolex I think would look worse with a suit would be a YM 2 or a SD DeepSea James Cameron.

Sub, GMT, Daytona, Explorer 1 are all sports Rolexes that look dynamite with a suit.
This
luvsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 08:47 PM   #77
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchicago View Post
Despite what some ersatz James Bond or "active lifestyle" type might say, sport watches never go with a suit. Your picture says it all. Get a 36mm DJ Fluted bezel, either oyster with PCL or jubilee. I saw the 41mm DJ in person and the bezel is still too large imo (same with dd40), although both improvements from the priors.
Must respectfully disagree. I have been wearing R sports watches with suits for many years. Because I like it.
Old 29 May 2017, 08:49 PM   #78
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
With a properly fitting long sleeve shirt, no one should see our watch anyways. Just my opinion.
Old 29 May 2017, 09:54 PM   #79
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
I like it.

At the same, I am a Methodist Minister and now in my older years choose to set aside my Submariner when robing or wearing a suit. I wear a 3 hand SS dress watch. To me, it finishes out the attire.
Old 29 May 2017, 11:17 PM   #80
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Ok, I'm killing some time in the airport and opened this thread because these types of threads always illicit some interesting responses and widely varying views which make them entertaining as the arguments for or against become more passionate.
I'll throw in my 2 cents. Most social norms appear to be evolving towards a more casual lifestyle in many settings and its become much more prevalent to mix and match styles in different settings.
Myself, I wouldn't wear a Deepsea or or other large sports watch with a tux but I would certainly wear any of my subs or GMTs with a suit and do.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 12:00 AM   #81
mrhy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Looks just fine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mrhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2017, 05:02 AM   #82
puckbw11
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the responses. I think it will be to, and while not as perfect as my Nomos, the Explorer II could serve as a "one watch" just as well as a 16710 or a 16610.

The best one watch would be the 214270 if a date isn't required. I am still trying to figure out if it is or not.

puckbw11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2017, 05:41 AM   #83
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I don't wear a suit or even a sport coat to work most days but still do a few times a month for some meetings or when visiting certain customers where it's the norm. I think it depends on the profession you are in and the environment. I am in the automotive and heavy truck design/engineering/development field. An Explorer II would not really be out of place with a suit at any meetings I attend but it also probably isn't the best choice, especially the white dial. If we are talking about a suit worn to a wedding, funeral, an white table cloth dinner, or a meeting with an investment banker..no, wear something simpler, smaller, thinner, with fewer hands, smaller numbers or no numbers, a leather strap and generally more dressy than an Explorer. That same suit while working the trade show booth talking with designers, engineers, and auto execs....yes, it makes sense to wear a classic but more sporty watch, tool watch, chronograph or dive watch and a bracelet is fine. And for the love of all things holy......no NATO straps, period. You are not James Bond.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2017, 11:31 AM   #84
Flstfirider

Watch: Rolex, Tudor
I think these treads are funny....

If this guy can pull of a sports watch with a suit, anyone can ....and no one will notice or care.
Flstfirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2017, 11:35 AM   #85
bassplayrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV, 3570.50
Having been born and raised in CA where you can wear flipflops to anything short of a white tie event, I say wear what you like/look good in. I wear bluchers and a sport watch with most of my suits (and balmorals and leather straps with jeans). Nuts to old, staid norms.
Old 5 June 2017, 12:44 PM   #86
puckbw11
"TRF" Member

I get "wear what you like" but I like hearing how people rationalize their thoughts on this.

Here's a nice looking spots watch with a suit:

Old 5 June 2017, 12:59 PM   #87
Mastergreenhand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Starbucks
If you like it, who cares what strangers on a message board think? Truthfully, the only person who will notice your watch is you.
Old 5 June 2017, 01:05 PM   #88
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flstfirider View Post
I'm not sure what watch William is wearing, but it is a good choice for his attire in my humble judgement. It's on the small side and has a black dial.

I don't think that the same can be said for the 16570 "polar." To my eye, it just sticks out like a sore thumb.

I will qualify these opinions by saying that I haven't put on a suit for over a decade. Heck, it's rare for me to even wear a shirt with a collar.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2017, 01:07 PM   #89
puckbw11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I'm not sure what watch William is wearing, but it is a good choice for his attire in my humble judgement. It's on the small side and has a black dial.

I don't think that the same can be said for the 16570 "polar." To my eye, it just sticks out like a sore thumb.

I will qualify these opinions by saying that I haven't put on a suit for over a decade. Heck, it's rare for me to even wear a shirt with a collar.

Nice 36mm seamaster. I find these a bit small.

Old 5 June 2017, 01:10 PM   #90
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckbw11 View Post
Nice 36mm seamaster. I find these a bit small.

Well, it's not too small for a suit and it should be noted that William has nearly a full head of hair in this picture, so it might be that at the time the watch would not have been considered especially small.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote