The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 October 2017, 06:30 AM   #1
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ{Adventure!)
"TRF" Member

5-vs-6 digit Bluesy

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to start off by saying I’ve decided on my first and only watch to be a 5 or 6 digit Bluesy, but am stuck as to which to get.

The five-digit was the watch I saw as a child and was inspired by and have always wanted. The six-digit gives me all the updates and comforts I fell in love with when trying it on at an AD recently, but I’ve never been able to compare both models side by side.

I’ve heard/read split reviews regarding the dials being either both the same or the 5-digit having a more iridescent hue... not sure which is correct.

I’ve also had people advise me on getting the six digit so I have the full Rolex experience and have my name on the warranty card. I could buy new, haggle down about a 10% discount, and state this is my celebration of what I’ve achieved in life.

....but then the frugal nut in me thinks of how much more attainable the 5 digit is in price and that it’s THE watch I’ve always wanted. I wouldn’t have a warranty card, but at least I’d do a full service and I’d have that to state it’s truly mine.

The more I research both models & owners’ stances on used vs new, the more lost I become. I almost want to just leave it up to the color of the dial, but I have yet to see both at the same time.

If you were to get just one watch and celebrate a milestone, would it be a 5 digit or a 6 digit?
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ{Adventure!) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2017, 06:43 AM   #2
Colin10101
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
I would get a year 2000 and up mint condition 5 digit and call it a day! Much prefer it over the 6 digit. The blue just seems richer, and I can't stand ceramic bezels any colour other than black. They just seem flat to me.
Old 6 October 2017, 06:45 AM   #3
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin10101 View Post
I would get a year 2000 and up mint condition 5 digit and call it a day! Much prefer it over the 6 digit. The blue just seems richer, and I can't stand ceramic bezels any colour other than black. They just seem flat to me.
Mine looks nice and shiny.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2017, 07:11 AM   #4
Shamorai
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16523, 116610LV
i Much prefer the six digit subs.
The ceramic bezel, shape, and wrist presence!
Shamorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2017, 07:13 AM   #5
mercman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126660 D-Blue
Owned them both, the first for 14+ years. I prefer the 6 digit, more comfortable, glidelock, maxi dial etc.
mercman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2017, 07:20 AM   #6
Colin10101
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
Mine looks nice and shiny.
Not to my eyes. I know they have a high gloss; I mean the colour underneath. Doesn't seem as rich as on the aluminum bezels.
Old 6 October 2017, 07:29 AM   #7
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
5 digits more beautiful and elegant to me (these are the ones I always lusted after too). The packaging ends up forgotten in a drawer so personal significance of 'name on receipt' is probably going to be fleeting. Don't buy a watch for the adjustable clasp is my advice.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2017, 07:30 AM   #8
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
I have a 6 digit, my dad has the 5. Both are great. I like the brightness of the blue on the 6 digits. Here's a thread i started of them side by side. I like the upgrades of the 6. If you check davidsw.com, he frequently gets NIB 6 digits in that will have you name on the warranty card. He has one now for $12,300. You also don't have to pay taxes.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=412186

Quote:
Originally Posted by ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ{Adventure!) View Post
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to start off by saying I’ve decided on my first and only watch to be a 5 or 6 digit Bluesy, but am stuck as to which to get.

The five-digit was the watch I saw as a child and was inspired by and have always wanted. The six-digit gives me all the updates and comforts I fell in love with when trying it on at an AD recently, but I’ve never been able to compare both models side by side.

I’ve heard/read split reviews regarding the dials being either both the same or the 5-digit having a more iridescent hue... not sure which is correct.

I’ve also had people advise me on getting the six digit so I have the full Rolex experience and have my name on the warranty card. I could buy new, haggle down about a 10% discount, and state this is my celebration of what I’ve achieved in life.

....but then the frugal nut in me thinks of how much more attainable the 5 digit is in price and that it’s THE watch I’ve always wanted. I wouldn’t have a warranty card, but at least I’d do a full service and I’d have that to state it’s truly mine.

The more I research both models & owners’ stances on used vs new, the more lost I become. I almost want to just leave it up to the color of the dial, but I have yet to see both at the same time.

If you were to get just one watch and celebrate a milestone, would it be a 5 digit or a 6 digit?

Last edited by WS9D; 6 October 2017 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: Price change
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2017, 07:42 AM   #9
Bigblu10
Banned

The hollow gold centre links and thin stamped clasp with the 16613 is a deal breaker for myself. All of the upgraded components of the 6 digit 116613 make it a no brainer of a watch to own. Dial is easier to read with larger lume plots and hands and if you have middle aged eyes, you will definitely notice the difference.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2017, 07:50 AM   #10
onthedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @onthedial
@ ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ{Adventure!)
Re: If you were to get just one watch and celebrate a milestone, would it be a 5 digit or a 6 digit?

You mentioned that the 5 digit is the watch you always wanted. If that's the case, and you were to take a pass on the reference that really speaks to you, then I believe you're setting yourself up for long-term regret. Perhaps not, but I think there's a high degree of probability.
At any rate, both earlier and later models certainly have their merits. Yet for me, the 16613 wears much more comfortably on my wrist, and the dial is a thing of beauty...it changes and "pops" depending upon the angle in which it's viewed. In comparison, the 6 digit dial is a bit flat and lifeless.
Good luck with your decision and show us pics when you got em'!
Old 6 October 2017, 08:32 AM   #11
WatchesAreCool
"TRF" Member

I think this depends on size preference (6 digit wears much bigger) and how much you care about or need the glidelock. I picked up a 5 digit from an AD (2003 model) and love it. My name on a warranty card was not worth 4-5k and I was able to get a perfect fit without the newer clasp. You will love either model that's for sure! Good luck
WatchesAreCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2017, 08:36 AM   #12
Maiden
"TRF" Member

It is up to you to decide, for me the six digit no question. I find the dial pops and changes just like my pals 5 digit, perhaps some here are thinking of the discontinued smurf dial? In any event a few pics of mine in different light. You cant lose either way, just get the one YOU want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bluesypeek.jpg (239.8 KB, 1088 views)
File Type: jpg Bluesy Drive.JPG (75.9 KB, 1084 views)
File Type: jpg Blusey and Jeans.JPG (128.9 KB, 1088 views)
File Type: jpg Bluesy1.jpg (178.2 KB, 1091 views)
File Type: jpg Bluesyfire.JPG (82.4 KB, 1086 views)
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2017, 08:42 AM   #13
emersm
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I prefer the rich dark royal blue hue of the 5 digit bezel. The later 6 digit bezels are closer, but they are still "off" in my opinion. Both are beautiful pieces.
emersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2017, 08:42 AM   #14
s14roller
"TRF" Member

s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2017, 09:17 AM   #15
mailman
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by emersm View Post
I prefer the rich dark royal blue hue of the 5 digit bezel. The later 6 digit bezels are closer, but they are still "off" in my opinion. Both are beautiful pieces.
Same here. The beze color matches the dial on the 5 digit. 6 digitnot so much. I'd pick the 16613
Old 6 October 2017, 09:19 AM   #16
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman View Post
Owned them both, the first for 14+ years. I prefer the 6 digit, more comfortable, glidelock, maxi dial etc.
^^x2. Handle both and you will see. The glidelock is the best clasp by any manufacturer.IMO.
Old 6 October 2017, 10:38 AM   #17
THC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2017, 10:49 AM   #18
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Hands down 5
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2017, 10:49 AM   #19
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
the bracelet and clasp alone make the 6 digit superior. hold both in your hands at the same time and youll know its true.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2017, 11:27 AM   #20
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Six digit for the Glidelock

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2017, 12:49 PM   #21
peterpl
Banned

6 digit for sure. Solid links, ceramic bezel, heft due to the full gold.

5 digit is still nice though. I just dont like the bracelet - it feels alot more flimsy, cheap, no micro adjuster.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2017, 02:48 PM   #22
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

I prefer the 5 digit over the 6. The lugs are more tapered, and looks more proportionate IMO. The blue on the bezel is also a little deeper and rich. Below is a side by side picture. Hope this helps.
Old 6 October 2017, 03:40 PM   #23
rolexjc
"TRF" Member

5 digit all the way... Here a 2001 unpolished
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 58F1BD0E-1EBD-48B9-A078-A3F1E433B995.jpeg (103.9 KB, 957 views)
rolexjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2017, 04:10 PM   #24
actionkwj
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soak up the sun
5-vs-6 digit Bluesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthedial View Post
@ ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ{Adventure!)

Re: If you were to get just one watch and celebrate a milestone, would it be a 5 digit or a 6 digit?

You mentioned that the 5 digit is the watch you always wanted. If that's the case, and you were to take a pass on the reference that really speaks to you, then I believe you're setting yourself up for long-term regret. Perhaps not, but I think there's a high degree of probability.

At any rate, both earlier and later models certainly have their merits. Yet for me, the 16613 wears much more comfortably on my wrist, and the dial is a thing of beauty...it changes and "pops" depending upon the angle in which it's viewed. In comparison, the 6 digit dial is a bit flat and lifeless.

Good luck with your decision and show us pics when you got em'!

Instagram: @onthedial

16613 is undoubtedly more comfortable and the radial blue dial is deeper. The newer watch has some upgrades but they're not better - just different. If comfort is important to you, 5 digits wins hands down. If you like thick and chunky then you might prefer the newer version, but the dial is not as nice as the older version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
actionkwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2017, 05:10 PM   #25
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
The hollow gold centre links and thin stamped clasp with the 16613 is a deal breaker for myself. All of the upgraded components of the 6 digit 116613 make it a no brainer of a watch to own. Dial is easier to read with larger lume plots and hands and if you have middle aged eyes, you will definitely notice the difference.
I agree, BIIIIIG difference on the bracelet. Big price difference too.
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2017, 05:35 PM   #26
felfyre
"TRF" Member

Just got the six digit myself, and never looked back. The shine is just perfect, and so is the beefier case, which I preferred over the smaller 5 digit. But, then again, the 5 digit was never on my radar though..
felfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2017, 06:44 PM   #27
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
5-vs-6 digit Bluesy

I have owned a 16613LB since 2007. My only watch for 9 years, worn all the time. Beautiful, elegant and tough as a rock, even the bracelet. People talk about how flimsy and cheap the bracelet ‘feels’, but forget those bracelets stood the test of times for MANY years before the newer model arrived.

I have the six digit LV, and love the easy glide bracelet. But frankly I am not a fan of thicker lugs and bulkier case. All day comfort definitely takes a hit. To me, 5 digit is way more comfy for all day long wear than 6 digit and I would gladly give up the easy link for comfort in this case.

Maxi dial and thicker hands of the new one make it more modern but take away elegance and make the dial too busy.

What I love about the new one though is the date legibility ( white date wheel vs tan in 5 digit, and anti glare for the cyclops ).

Considering all the history I have with my watch, I will not exchange my 5 digit today with a new one in an even exchange, I like it that much.

Good luck with your decision. You can’t go wrong either way. Whichever you choose, you will be happy with. But if you always wanted a five digit, buy one since you can have it at cheaper prices. Then if you don’t like it, you can sell it at minimal loss to you and go after a newer model.

Here are a couple of pictures of mine:

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2017, 08:54 PM   #28
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
The dials are the same between the 2 references, unless OP you are eyeing one of those 5 digit from the years that suffered from the purple pigment that eventually turned the dial to violet.
Try them both on and see which you like better. I'd personally go for the 6 digit, the new bracelet finally gives the watch a flawless quality.
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2017, 10:14 PM   #29
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ{Adventure!) View Post
Hello Everyone,

Great Screen Alias mate! Love the creativity. As to the watch, I prefer the ceramic bezel on that particular one.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2017, 12:46 AM   #30
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ{Adventure!)
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the insight everyone! Feels like it’s truly a split.
The 5 digit is THE icon with overall balance/fluidity and comfort in mind and the aluminum bezel definitely matches better.

The 6 digit has greater legibility (or maxi dial & white date wheel with improved cyclops) & the solid gold links with glidelock add that substance/heft, but suffers from wearing a bit bigger on the wrist despite identical case sizes and the ceramic bezel is indeed of a flatter tone to those who’ve seen/admired its predecessor.

I swear the way things are going I may end up with a 5 digit and risk my wife murdering me when I shoot for an LvC down the road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks6pd View Post
I have a 6 digit, my dad has the 5. Both are great. I like the brightness of the blue on the 6 digits. Here's a thread i started of them side by side. I like the upgrades of the 6. If you check davidsw.com, he frequently gets NIB 6 digits in that will have you name on the warranty card. He has one now for $12,300. You also don't have to pay taxes.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=412186
Thank you for the pics and thread info!
The info about DSW is greatly appreciated. I didn’t know this was possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frakis View Post
I prefer the 5 digit over the 6. The lugs are more tapered, and looks more proportionate IMO. The blue on the bezel is also a little deeper and rich. Below is a side by side picture. Hope this helps.
Thank you, this definitely does help, especially since I can better grasp what everyone is talking about in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
I have owned a 16613LB since 2007. My only watch for 9 years, worn all the time. Beautiful, elegant and tough as a rock, even the bracelet. People talk about how flimsy and cheap the bracelet ‘feels’, but forget those bracelets stood the test of times for MANY years before the newer model arrived.

I have the six digit LV, and love the easy glide bracelet. But frankly I am not a fan of thicker lugs and bulkier case. All day comfort definitely takes a hit. To me, 5 digit is way more comfy for all day long wear than 6 digit and I would gladly give up the easy link for comfort in this case.

Maxi dial and thicker hands of the new one make it more modern but take away elegance and make the dial too busy.

What I love about the new one though is the date legibility ( white date wheel vs tan in 5 digit, and anti glare for the cyclops ).

Considering all the history I have with my watch, I will not exchange my 5 digit today with a new one in an even exchange, I like it that much.

Good luck with your decision. You can’t go wrong either way. Whichever you choose, you will be happy with. But if you always wanted a five digit, buy one since you can have it at cheaper prices. Then if you don’t like it, you can sell it at minimal loss to you and go after a newer model.

Here are a couple of pictures of mine:

Thank you, I totally didn’t notice the changes in the date wheel and I completely agree about the clasps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
Great Screen Alias mate! Love the creativity. As to the watch, I prefer the ceramic bezel on that particular one.
Thanks! I’m glad TRF allowed it lol.
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ{Adventure!) is offline   Reply With Quote