The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 December 2017, 01:38 PM   #31
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
I've worn Rolexes for close to 50 years. The Cartiers I owned (Pasha and Roadster) got many more compliments.

Maybe 3 compliments over the years on my Rolexes, which included Datejust, Hulk, Platona, WG Daytona.

People either don't care or don't notice. Hard to know which. Which is fine with me. They made me happy over the years. Very happy. Better than valium.
I have valium (very) occasionally prescribed by my doctor back in the UK when my back goes into spasm. It doesn't make me happy, it turns me into a dribbling, pseudo-retard that can barely tie his own shoelaces.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 02:55 PM   #32
JP(Canada)
"TRF" Member

A Navitimer left a lasting impression on my memory when I was a kid, long before I knew anything about watches or brands. Easy to understand for me.
Old 2 December 2017, 03:14 PM   #33
MoreThanaWatch
"TRF" Member

I consider myself an "average Joe", not a leader of industry, a high flying lawyer or a brain surgeon. Whilst I think some people may notice the watch on my wrist, they just assume it must be fake based on there preconceived idea of what type of person wears a rolex. This suits me just fine, the only person I wear the watch for is myself. Everytime I look at my wrist it gives me a great sense of pride and satisfaction knowing I have worked hard in my life to obtain something I love and have always wanted.
MoreThanaWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 04:15 PM   #34
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

This is the only one I've had a comment on, don't know why/ :)

Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 04:56 PM   #35
Torque Time
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ 1601
I think it is just an observation....

I work in the aviation industry and B pretty much the standard for all the pilots...not really a big deal. Some notice my vintage 4 digit TT DJ and I simply say 'Thanks'. What they don't realize is their B cost more than my R. The funniest question I get; 'Is that a real Rolex?' I simply say 'Yes' and offer to take it off and let the person see it and try it on if they want.

Rolex is probably the most well know high end watch on the market but not the most expensive. Let's be honest, a Rolex is a piece of jewelry that keeps time. For some it is simply a watch, for some it is a hobby, and for others it is the mark of achievement or a reward.

Ask yourself this question, 'If I had a college or professional athletic Championship Ring and someone commented about it, would I offer to let them hold it and try it on?'

Be proud of your ability to afford some of the more expensive items in life but don't let the 'thing' be a barrier to communication. If it is, you may wearing it for the wrong reason.

Just another opinion...
Torque Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 06:17 PM   #36
Xerxes77
Banned

Rolex is.....Rolex!
Even if they don’t notice the watch on first look if they read Rolex they will know what it is!
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 07:01 PM   #37
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes
Breitling dials are very flashy and detailed. People do not mind watches that much, just like most people do not mind cars that much. Watch show time and cars take from place A to place B.

Try yellow gold Day-Date with partly iced bracelet :)
♛Deepsea Blue -17 ♛ Deepsea Blue -19 ♛Deepsea Black ♛Explorer I ♛Explorer II ♛ Explorer 1 ♛GMT-Master II BLNR ♛ Sky-Dweller Blue ♛ Sky-Dweller Black ♛ AirKing ♛ Day-Date 40 Platinum ♛ Daytona C White ♛ Submariner LVc ♛ Two-Tone Submariner ♛ Day-Date 36 ♛ Datejust 41 grey ♛
mahefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 12:08 AM   #38
Chrislec
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Let's face it: If you wear a Breitling / Omega you are a man with a nice watch. I you ear a Rolex you are a man with a Rolex.

The Rolex brand carries that extra achievement "rich" status thing. People view them differently.

And I think they get noticed all the time. It's just that people don't tell. Just like women looking at other women's jewelry. They notice/scan it for sure, secretly comparing. No doubt.
Chrislec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 12:19 AM   #39
Shrptharpe
"TRF" Member

My buddy owns about 60 Invictas which he is proud of. We were at a bar checking out the MNF game and there were about 10 people that came up to him commenting on his watch (I was wearing the Deepsea). Of course he enjoyed that immensely!
Shrptharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 12:21 AM   #40
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

I think rolexes do get noticed- the polishing and the sapphire crystal reflect light in a way that’s hard not to notice. Even on something like an explorer 1.

Probably most people thoughts don’t go past “wow that’s shiny, what is that?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 02:09 AM   #41
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstewart View Post
I find it funny that 90% of people won’t comment or notice the Rolex
Yep! Most people just don't care. Once I was in a group of four people at work and another Rolex owner spotted my Sub and commented on it to everyone. Then my boss's boss started asking how much it cost and the convo seemed a little awkward. :-/ Once a date noticed my watch. I don't know what impression it left on her, but the rest of the date went well. ;-)
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 02:15 AM   #42
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Yep! Most people just don't care. Once I was in a group of four people at work and another Rolex owner spotted my Sub and commented on it to everyone. Then my boss's boss started asking how much it cost and the convo seemed a little awkward. :-/ Once a date noticed my watch. I don't know what impression it left on her, but the rest of the date went well. ;-)
Seriously. It is very rare that anyone I meet has any idea about watch brands and heritage. Sure, they're heard of "Rolex," but most don't know how much they cost or what they look like. Even when I lived in LA, it wasn't as common as I'd expect, although obviously more common than in Portland.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 02:43 AM   #43
avega357
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT's BLNR
Worn rolex GMT for 35 years, never got a comment.

Wore a $100 dress watch while my rolex was being serviced and I got a nice watch comment. Go figure?

I never cared for about 30 years then I realized that in 30 year my rolex had never broken and I used it for everything I did. So I started appreciating it more.
avega357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 03:15 AM   #44
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Seriously. It is very rare that anyone I meet has any idea about watch brands and heritage. Sure, they're heard of "Rolex," but most don't know how much they cost or what they look like. Even when I lived in LA, it wasn't as common as I'd expect, although obviously more common than in Portland.
I owned my Sub for 7 years before my B-I-L (who I see routinely) asked me what kind of watch mine was; and it was during a conversation I was having with my 16-year-old nephew about why I liked mechanical watches (he knows I have a Rolex and he has a Fossil mechanical). So, when BIL asked what I wore I showed him my dial. He responded with an indication that it was an expensive luxury purchase. We didn't discuss further. If he knew what it was worth he really would have thought it ostentatious! Fortunately, most non-WIS have no idea what they cost. They know Rolex is expensive compared to a Seiko, so they probably figure its $1000 or $2000.

When price does come up and I feel like engaging I talk about buying cars compared to buying watches. Excuse the details, but its easier to discuss if we use a real example with numbers.

No one would think twice if PERSON A buys a Toyota Highlander Limited Platinum AWD for $46,000. In the first 5 years of ownerships it depreciates $21,000 (my figures come from https://www.edmunds.com/tco.html). PERSON A would be seen as making a reasonable purchase by most people in the US. A loaded Highlander is not considered ostentatious.

Now, let's say PERSON B buys a Toyota Highlander XLE AWD (still a very nice car) for $40,000. In the first five years of ownership it depreciates $17,000. PERSON B also buys a Rolex BLNR for $9500 and spends $500 ($100/year) for five years of insurance (spending a total of $10,000 on watch and insurance). Let's say that the watch depreciates from $9500 to $8000 in five years (which is very generous as the watch may not depreciate that much or it may even appreciate). Thus PERSON B in five years has spent $2,000 on the watch ($1500 on depreciation and $500 on insurance).

So, lets compare the financial position of each person after five years:

PERSON A: Spent $21,000 in depreciation on their car.

PERSON B: Spent $19,000 in total -- $17,000 deprecation on their car and $2,000 in deprecation and insurance on their Rolex, for a total of $19,000.

SUMMARY

PERSON B (with the Rolex) spent $2,000 less than PERSON A, yet the Rolex-owning PERSON B would be seen by most as more indulgent in their spending because they spent $9500 on a watch. Many people in the US who see buying a Toyota Highlander Limited as a smart purchasing decision think that spending $9500 on a watch is ridiculous. However, a Rolex purchase can be a more fiscally responsible decision than buying something as normal as a Toyota Highlander.
Old 3 December 2017, 03:21 AM   #45
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrptharpe View Post
My buddy owns about 60 Invictas which he is proud of. We were at a bar checking out the MNF game and there were about 10 people that came up to him commenting on his watch (I was wearing the Deepsea). Of course he enjoyed that immensely!
60 Invictas????? I've never heard of someone that into watches buying a cheap brand. Do you know what he likes about the watches? Is it just the attention? Are many of them mechanical?
Old 3 December 2017, 03:22 AM   #46
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
This is the only one I've had a comment on, don't know why/ :)
Haha. What does it say under the emblem and what does it mean?
Old 3 December 2017, 03:32 AM   #47
worldfamoussam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date II
It's somewhat rare outside of certain retail stores. A gas station attendant recently noticed my 18038, and was telling me he works on watches.
Old 3 December 2017, 04:51 AM   #48
JBoone
"TRF" Member

I was hesitant to get a Rolex because I did not want it to be recognized. Thankfully it has not been. Am on vacation now with brother. He knows I like watches and has no idea that I am wearing a Rolex.

Already had a cow once when he found out that I spent 1,300 or so several years ago on grey market oris. I don’t really care what he thinks but don’t really want to engage in such a conversation.

DJ 41 smoth bezel woth ouster so pretty low key
JBoone is offline   Reply With Quote