The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 December 2017, 10:34 PM   #1
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
YachtMaster II - Seeking Opinions

I currently only have one Rolex which is the YG DD40. I am thinking of adding a SS sports Rolex. I am looking closely at the Yachtmaster II. Searching the forums, it doesn't appear to be very popular as I can only find a small handful of threads on this. Can existing owners share some pictures and your ownership experience?

Also, what do you think of the 2017 version ( with new hands ) compared to the 2015 version?

BTW, sharing a very cool pic of YM2 that I found in IG.

Old 2 December 2017, 10:55 PM   #2
bio guyver
"TRF" Member

I would say it is the king of the rolex sports watch. Go ahead. I already have it. The best watch for eye catching it catches attention every time. And it wears very comfortable
bio guyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 10:57 PM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Not an owner but I will say that I much prefer the original handset to the new and "improved".
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 11:05 PM   #4
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Not an owner but I prefer the older model with the dark hands. I think that the watch is ok but I do not need the functions nor is the bezel at the top of my list. I own a SD43 and it works for me in a way the YM II would not.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 11:41 PM   #5
Agustin_Nielsen
"TRF" Member

I am also thinking of buying one for my 22nd birthday! I would go with pre-2017 hands as the legibility is far greater, as well as the aesthetics.
Agustin_Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 11:54 PM   #6
Ad11wrd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I currently only have one Rolex which is the YG DD40. I am thinking of adding a SS sports Rolex. I am looking closely at the Yachtmaster II. Searching the forums, it doesn't appear to be very popular as I can only find a small handful of threads on this. Can existing owners share some pictures and your ownership experience?

Also, what do you think of the 2017 version ( with new hands ) compared to the 2015 version?

BTW, sharing a very cool pic of YM2 that I found in IG.

OMO The latest version with the white hands do not stand out as much as the old blues one at first glance however I like the triangle at twelve o’clock as it’s nice to know where twelve is at nighttime makes easier to read.

I don’t think it’s a popular watch as some don’t understand the regatta timer and see much use, however it’s a countdown timer which is nice to have as much as a Daytona chrono.

Buy if you like not what other think
Ad11wrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 11:58 PM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad11wrd View Post
OMO The latest version with the white hands do not stand out as much as the old blues one at first glance however I like the triangle at twelve o’clock as it’s nice to know where twelve is at nighttime makes easier to read.

I don’t think it’s a popular watch as some don’t understand the regatta timer and see much use, however it’s a countdown timer which is nice to have as much as a Daytona chrono.

Buy if you like not what other think
Yes, I like the blue hands but also triangle marker. I like it but not enough to buy.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 12:13 AM   #8
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I think it’s a great watch.

No question it’s flashy, in your face and casual... but I think it’s perfectly wearable with a suit also

HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 06:57 AM   #9
Agustin_Nielsen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
I think it’s a great watch.

No question it’s flashy, in your face and casual... but I think it’s perfectly wearable with a suit also

Any complaints about it? Should be in the market for one soon
Agustin_Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 08:36 AM   #10
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
I owned the SS version for about a year. I really loved this watch. I wore it on vacation, weddings in a suit or simply a T-shirt and shorts or jeans. I really admired this watch, I would stare and glance at it all day. Sadly, at the time, I sold it to make way for a 116619 which I love to death. I can’t say with a straight face that I don’t miss it. I do. I also have had thoughts of adding it again. So, I say, buy this watch, the colors, the way they come together is mesmerizing. It is also a very comfortable wearing piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1st amg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 09:50 AM   #11
mineral
"TRF" Member

I would also suggest to consider the original Yachtmaster which is smaller size at 40mm. Wear more comfortable on wrist. It has beautiful platinum dial too.
Old 3 December 2017, 11:09 AM   #12
chubz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116681

I wear this watch as my daily driver no complaints

chubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 11:36 AM   #13
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
On the SS version I prefer the old hands and on the TT version I prefer the new hands.

I personally need some contrast to easily read the time.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 12:02 PM   #14
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Loved it when I had it, regretted selling... Good chance I get one again, but do not like the new have set at all... Definitely prefer the older version
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 12:25 PM   #15
PPFANBOY
"TRF" Member

In terms of the watch itself, it is pretty flash and grabs a lot of attention. So if that isn't your thing, best to avoid it. I personally prefer this model in the SS, the contrast of colours and the large size make it very attractive. I would go for it, it probably isn't as popular due to various reasons, primarily size and price IMO.

I've seen the new updated dial in person. I like it. It is hard to make a decision without first looking at the updated dial in the flesh. If you want more contrast, sure, the blue hands do contrast more.

I think the subtle touches with the 2017 update are very nice. Particularly to the changes to the 12/6 markers.

Can't go wrong with either, so pick whichever you prefer. Personally I am opting for the new version.

Good luck.
PPFANBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 01:25 PM   #16
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
The size and appearance is OK for me as I am used to way more "shouty" watches. In fact, my the other Rolex is the DD40 and I own AP offshores. The reason I checking out the YM2 is because of the very interesting complication. And something not too common like the usual Subs, Daytona and GMTs.

I am waiting for a piece to be available in my local AD to try them out. Thanks!
Old 3 December 2017, 05:46 PM   #17
regnant
"TRF" Member

I own YM II 116680. Mine is older model. I think straight and long hands in this model look better than face lifted Mercedes hands.
Old 3 December 2017, 06:37 PM   #18
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio guyver View Post
I would say it is the king of the rolex sports watch. Go ahead. I already have it. The best watch for eye catching it catches attention every time. And it wears very comfortable
King of the Rolex sports watch? The D-Blue would have it on the canvas inside thirty seconds.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 08:38 PM   #19
SpyShops718
Banned

Watch: Rolex YM2 Gold '08
I am a owner of the YG YM2 116688 for 1 1/2 years and I have to say this watch is in a class of its own. I would choose the YM2 stainless over the more expensive white gold model. It looks so much better than the all white gold model. The stainless originally came with the blue hands and blue around the hours on the watch. Last year they changed it to the silver hands which I like much better.
SpyShops718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 09:24 PM   #20
G'ed
"TRF" Member

Big watch at 44mm. Unique movement although not really practical for normal use. Also prefer older Mercedes hand. Don’t forget to buy a yacht to pair.
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 09:49 PM   #21
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agustin_Nielsen View Post
Any complaints about it? Should be in the market for one soon
I haven’t given it enough wrist time yet, but I can foresee missing having a date
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 10:08 PM   #22
Nerry
Banned

i sure prefer new versions.... improvements always comes with new versions.
Nerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 11:08 PM   #23
tpfaok
"TRF" Member

I like the refreshing look and its programmable countdown function. I sold my Daytona to purchase it with no regrets.

I prefer the baton hour hand. The regatta function is the primary function of the watch and the mercedes hour hand may be a distraction to the minute countdown hand.

My other family member loves the watch too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Compressed.jpg (32.3 KB, 485 views)
tpfaok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 11:40 PM   #24
Xerxes77
Banned

I have it for a mounth and not keeping but I will buy another one soon!
It’s very comfortable on wrist is big, bold and that blue catch eyes.
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 01:41 AM   #25
Juantxo
Banned

Do you sail competitively...? Do you have a big wrist...? If both responses are affirmative, then you ought to buy it. If not, look somewhere else. Simple.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 01:49 AM   #26
ahump76
"TRF" Member

I absolutely love mine. I think it’s in a class all of its own .

ahump76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 02:19 AM   #27
belk7
"TRF" Member

Ben,
I’m interested to hear your thoughts once you see it live. I owned the stainless version with the previous dial and very much enjoyed the watch. I included it in a trade earlier this year. While I don’t regret the trade, I do have moments (like looking at this thread) when I do miss the YMII. To answer your second question, I very much liked the previous dial/hands configuration more than the update. For me, this watch is separated from others by the high contrast elements of a gorgeous blue with the crisp white dial. The blue hands fit that theme perfectly. The watch is executed just as you would expect from Rolex, bulletproof performance and fit. The complication works flawlessly and I found it to be a lot of fun to use - and, yes, I did find uses for a countdown timer. I did frequently use the EZ Link as the watch head tends to be a bit top heavy and didn’t work well for me wearing loose. So I would usually adjust the link twice a day. Love EZ link and glide lock BTW. Best. Upgrade. Ever.

It is super casual, and your AP ROO will definitely compete for wrist time. For me, I like to wear all of my watches so I have started to follow the Jorge philosophy and have fewer pieces that represent exactly what I want. That is principally why I moved the YMII. The watch itself was not disappointing in any way. I just became infatuated with something else. Last thought, this one is priced a bit high at retail IMO, so if you are comfortable with going grey, this could be a good candidate. A few pics since a thread without pics just isn’t the same.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
belk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 04:07 PM   #28
SpyShopsNYC
"TRF" Member

YachtMaster II - Seeking Opinions

YM2 in stainless or gold is top dawg, the statement it tells other’s is the you got it on your own, not passed on to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SpyShopsNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 04:40 PM   #29
Xplicit
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I reckon it’s a stunning watch, I just wouldn’t have a use for the functions, so to me it would be used purely for normal telling of time with a very busy dial and a lot going on.

Xplicit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 04:57 PM   #30
Allanmodel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Still Looking....!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio guyver View Post
+1
Allanmodel is online now   Reply With Quote