The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 December 2017, 12:17 PM   #1
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
116610 Made to Look Like 116613

I bought a two-tone Sub on ebay (mistake). It was listed as a 116613LB. The pics showed a 116613LN, which is what I wanted. When I got it, I took the bracelet off and saw the 116610 model number. So, apparently the bezel and bracelet were swapped out. I have no idea if the bezel and bracelet are real or aftermarket, but they appear to be real. But how does this affect the value of the watch? It's certainly not as it left the factory, so will RSC even work on it?
pilotjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 12:30 PM   #2
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
The word is that Rolex won't touch any parts that are not original.

I'm not sure what they would do with a mix and match of original parts from different watches, though.

They will, however, be more than happy to restore it to factory specs, if that's what you want.

Most, I think, would suggest that you contact the seller ASAP.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 12:32 PM   #3
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

Doesn’t sound good at all. Good luck and next time buy the seller first.
Old 27 December 2017, 12:33 PM   #4
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
The word is that Rolex won't touch any parts that are not original.

They will, however, be more than happy to restore it to factory specs, if that's what you want.

Most, I think, would suggest that you contact the seller ASAP.
Would this include a bracelet swap (i.e. I put a glidelock on 5 digit and send it in for service)?
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 12:36 PM   #5
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

I did contact the seller just a short while ago....waiting for response.
Old 27 December 2017, 12:37 PM   #6
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10klakes View Post
Would this include a bracelet swap (i.e. I put a glidelock on 5 digit and send it in for service)?
I'm not writing as an expert on Rolex policy, just as a long-term forum member who has read many responses by other members as to what they've encountered with Rolex Service Centers.

Did you send such a watch in for service or are you just thinking about it?

Old 27 December 2017, 12:39 PM   #7
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotjim View Post
I did contact the seller just a short while ago....waiting for response.
Good.

Old 27 December 2017, 12:45 PM   #8
masterdinh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610-LV
Dang man. Sorry to hear that. Keep us posted as to the resolution. I am sure you bought from someone with great feedback. Lets hope they stand by it and let you back out of it.
116710 BLNR, 326934 Black
PAM 24
masterdinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 12:47 PM   #9
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
Quote:
I'm not writing as an expert on Rolex policy, just as a long-term forum member who has read many responses by other members as to what they've encountered with Rolex Service Centers.

Did you send such a watch in for service or are you just thinking about it?
I did not send anything in for service. I just bought a glidelock to swap out an older bracelet, and remember reading something along the lines of your comment about RSCs not touching parts original to the watch.
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 12:49 PM   #10
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

Seller's response:

"Hello I see that you have requested to return this item. First of all I just wanted to apologize for the mix up on model numbers, like I said I'm not a watch guy, just got it as a gift and sold it. I can assure you that it is the exact watch in the pictures I think you are mistaken on that part I took the pictures myself and it is real. My grandparents sent me all the info in order to sell the watch so I don't know what could've gone wrong. As it has been a few weeks I am confused and uncomfortable with refunding this as it may be a scam. There is nothing wrong with the watch."
Old 27 December 2017, 12:53 PM   #11
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

I advised him that the bezel and bracelet are not original to the case and that the watch has been altered and is not original. I requested a refund, we'll see what happens. Worst case, I'll have to file a claim with eBay.

Last edited by pilotjim; 27 December 2017 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: wrong word
Old 27 December 2017, 12:54 PM   #12
masterdinh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Seller's response:

"Hello I see that you have requested to return this item. First of all I just wanted to apologize for the mix up on model numbers, like I said I'm not a watch guy, just got it as a gift and sold it. I can assure you that it is the exact watch in the pictures I think you are mistaken on that part I took the pictures myself and it is real. My grandparents sent me all the info in order to sell the watch so I don't know what could've gone wrong. As it has been a few weeks I am confused and uncomfortable with refunding this as it may be a scam. There is nothing wrong with the watch."
Let him know your attorney will be involved, and next letter he gets is from an attorney. I would do it as quick as possible, then go to the post office and see if you can start your claim for mail fraud. Where does he live? If in Texas I am happy to pay him a visit for you. I hope you find resolution to this soon my friend.
PAM 24
Old 27 December 2017, 12:56 PM   #13
masterdinh
"TRF" Member

Any part of the payment done on paypal? I hate paypal, but they seem to always side with the buyer. Any part of the payment done with your CC? Thats easily recovered.
PAM 24
Old 27 December 2017, 12:56 PM   #14
RolexEDC
"TRF" Member

Oh man, should like a mix and match watch/ scam. I would contact PayPal or eBay to try to get your money back.
RolexEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 01:00 PM   #15
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

Well, eBay says I gotta wait til the 29th to file a claim to give him time to refund my money. I did pay in full with paypal, so hopefully, I will be protected.
Old 27 December 2017, 01:02 PM   #16
masterdinh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, eBay says I gotta wait til the 29th to file a claim to give him time to refund my money. I did pay in full with paypal, so hopefully, I will be protected.
yeah, I think you can file with Paypal immediately. They will freeze that guys account immediately until its resolved.
PAM 24
Old 27 December 2017, 01:25 PM   #17
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Seller's response:

What is troubling about this response is that he pleads ignorance and pawns off responsibility on relatives. Those are excuses we see frequently in the "Watch Out" forum. Also, you state that the watch was sold as a 116613, even if there was confusion over the bezel color, which by your account, it is not.

It really smells of a scam.

It sounds like you are well covered with PayPal, so here's hoping that all turns out well.

Old 27 December 2017, 10:53 PM   #18
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

No reply since last evening from the seller. This is the ebay listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hardly-worn...:X:RTO:US:3160
Old 27 December 2017, 10:59 PM   #19
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

I know the ebay pics are not great, but can anyone tell if the bezel, crown, hands, bracelet appear to be fake? I don't really see the point in swapping out real parts. I'll try to post some actual pics of the watch after work today.
Old 27 December 2017, 11:13 PM   #20
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know the ebay pics are not great, but can anyone tell if the bezel, crown, hands, bracelet appear to be fake? I don't really see the point in swapping out real parts. I'll try to post some actual pics of the watch after work today.
He's right it is a scam. It sounds like he is trying to scam you. There is nothing deceitful on your end from wanting a refund for whatever the reason is if it was in the terms of the sale. Follow all the proper channels and mail the watch back to the owner and file your claims as soon as you can. Do not let this go. eBay is tricky. I avoid it on most high profile items unless the seller is also a grey dealer with a decent reputation. I am sorry this happened. Keep us updated, as the resolution to this issue may help others in the future.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 11:14 PM   #21
R@lex
"TRF" Member

Watch: dd40 228235
Quote:
He probably used the pictures of a real rolex...
Can you post pics of the watch you received?
Old 27 December 2017, 11:14 PM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Return the watch thru ebay, they will certainly side with you if you take the relevant pics and tell them you think this is a fake or franken and probably a scam. You can also send them this thread as evidence.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 11:43 PM   #23
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

I filed a claim with paypal. They said seller has ten days to respond. I will post some pics of the watch this afternoon.
Old 27 December 2017, 11:45 PM   #24
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

I have pics of the warranty card he sent (with the incorrect serial and model numbers), and also of what appears to be the original warranty certificate (appears to be written in French) with NO serial or model numbers. How can I post photos of these from my phone?
Old 28 December 2017, 12:04 AM   #25
stylinleems
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have pics of the warranty card he sent (with the incorrect serial and model numbers), and also of what appears to be the original warranty certificate (appears to be written in French) with NO serial or model numbers. How can I post photos of these from my phone?
Download the App 'Tapatalk' and you can post pics from your phone of the warranty and closer pics of the watch.

The warranty holder seems incorrect, it either should be the cardboard sleeves or newer faux green leather holder.

I am sorry this happened and hopefully PayPal froze his account before the funds got removed so you can get a refund.
stylinleems is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 12:05 AM   #26
Yammx125
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master
Stay on him and follow PayPal/eBay directions to a T , it has saved me in the past. I would recommend calling PayPal by phone and calmly explain the situation. It wouldn't hurt getting a letter from your local Rolex dealer of the details of what's fake or missing/replaced and submit to eBay and PayPal under your claim stay calm and you will get your money back.
Yammx125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 12:10 AM   #27
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinleems View Post
Download the App 'Tapatalk' and you can post pics from your phone of the warranty and closer pics of the watch.

The warranty holder seems incorrect, it either should be the cardboard sleeves or newer faux green leather holder.

I am sorry this happened and hopefully PayPal froze his account before the funds got removed so you can get a refund.
I am using my girlfriend's old iPhone 4 since my Samsung died on me the other night. It won't download the tapatalk app, lol.

I emailed the pics to myself....is there another way to post them from my computer?
Old 28 December 2017, 12:17 AM   #28
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammx125 View Post
Stay on him and follow PayPal/eBay directions to a T , it has saved me in the past. I would recommend calling PayPal by phone and calmly explain the situation. It wouldn't hurt getting a letter from your local Rolex dealer of the details of what's fake or missing/replaced and submit to eBay and PayPal under your claim stay calm and you will get your money back.
That's a good suggestion, thank you!
Old 28 December 2017, 12:23 AM   #29
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
Quote:
What is troubling about this response is that he pleads ignorance and pawns off responsibility on relatives. Those are excuses we see frequently in the "Watch Out" forum. Also, you state that the watch was sold as a 116613, even if there was confusion over the bezel color, which by your account, it is not.

It really smells of a scam.

It sounds like you are well covered with PayPal, so here's hoping that all turns out well.
my thoughts exactly ,,, the bezel colour would be the least of my concerns at this point ,,,,, id be more interested in the rest of it ,,,,, pics needed , but i dont like the sound of this at all.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 12:27 AM   #30
EagleArmsHBAR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No reply since last evening from the seller. This is the ebay listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hardly-worn...:X:RTO:US:3160
I can't believe you bought a Rolex on ebay from a seller with 10 feedback!
EagleArmsHBAR is offline   Reply With Quote