The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 31 December 2017, 05:24 AM   #1
Watchfunday
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek,AP,ALS,Rolex
Which ROO to choose?

New to this forum and this is my 1st post :)

I currently have Sub-C, GMT II (The Batman) and Speedmaster MOTM. Now I am looking for something totally different and have been eying on AP. All my current watches are 40-42mm with black dial. I really like RO, but would like to have one bigger watch for versatile use.

Current options are:

* Navy 42mm
* Rose gold 42mm
* Ceramic silver dial 44mm

Ceramic ROO is 44mm and I wonder if it would be too big for me? I have 7" (178mm) wrist and I am 5.9" & 175 lbs. I haven't tried any of these options on before and of course will do that before buying. I have once tried 46mm Navitimer with a leather strap and it did not feel too large for me. I also have a 50mm Suunto (16mm thick) and wear it comfortably during my workouts. Of course it is a light watch, so comparing it directly to ROO might not be feasible.

Lets assume watches are pre-owned around the same price point. I really like all three options, so advice would be highly appreciated :)

What do you guys think, which one should I choose?
Watchfunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2017, 05:26 PM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

you need to try them on first as they are big. If you have a ce44 in consideration i would also consider the RG 44 and not the RG 42.

At least try to find one example of a 42 and 44 for sizing purposes to try regardless of which watch it is and then narrow down the options based on which fit you like.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2017, 11:47 PM   #3
robbonds
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROO
im your size and the 44mm is perfect...go BIG or GO home
Old 1 January 2018, 12:12 AM   #4
Watchfunday
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
you need to try them on first as they are big. If you have a ce44 in consideration i would also consider the RG 44 and not the RG 42.

At least try to find one example of a 42 and 44 for sizing purposes to try regardless of which watch it is and then narrow down the options based on which fit you like.
Thanks, good point. Will do that in the next couple of weeks.
Old 1 January 2018, 12:18 AM   #5
Watchfunday
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbonds View Post
im your size and the 44mm is perfect...go BIG or GO home
That's what I am thinking as well

My current collection is quite understated, so an oversized "over the top" sports watch might be feasible option.
Old 1 January 2018, 01:01 AM   #6
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
I too am the same as you - 5' 9" with 7" wrist size and love the ROO 44. I agree with Tyler, if I were you I'd look at the RG44, as its a lovely piece. Where T and I may disagree, though, is I prefer the older version with silver sub dials.

Either way, before committing do look carefully into the ROO 44 family because if you like big watches that maybe the way to go.

Worth waiting to see what new 2018 pieces may be revealed by AP in the next couple of weeks though!
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2018, 01:12 AM   #7
Xerxes77
Banned

I think it’s better to not choose nothing till SIHH 2018.
Then you see!!
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2018, 01:22 AM   #8
Betta01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes77 View Post
Then you see!!
Tats good advice!!

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk
Betta01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2018, 02:58 AM   #9
Daryl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Then you see!!
hoping for a SS w/ ceramic bezel 42mm...

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2018, 03:41 AM   #10
Xerxes77
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
hoping for a SS w/ ceramic bezel 42mm...
Your hope will come reality!!!
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2018, 03:58 AM   #11
Daryl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Your hope will come reality!!!

i think thats all we need

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 08:35 AM   #12
Watchfunday
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
I too am the same as you - 5' 9" with 7" wrist size and love the ROO 44. I agree with Tyler, if I were you I'd look at the RG44, as its a lovely piece. Where T and I may disagree, though, is I prefer the older version with silver sub dials.

Either way, before committing do look carefully into the ROO 44 family because if you like big watches that maybe the way to go.

Worth waiting to see what new 2018 pieces may be revealed by AP in the next couple of weeks though!
Thank you all for your valuable input. Today I had a chance to try out 42mm RG and Panda as well as 44 mm Titanium, which was the clear winner. It wasn't too big and felt very good on the wrist. Actually, was more comfortable than 42mms that felt a bit outdated to me.

I was quite surprised that I liked the grey titanium 44mm, because it looked a bit dull in the pictures and wasn't on my radar. I have not had a chance to try out 26401RO yet though, but I unless SIHH 2018 has anything special to offer, the choice is 44mm and between 26400IO and 26401RO.

What do you guys think about the look & fit of 26400IO on my wrist and which one should I choose? Of course I will make up my own mind, but any food of thought would be highly appreciated :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0111.jpg (277.0 KB, 660 views)
Old 11 January 2018, 11:57 AM   #13
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
Welcome to the forum. I agree with you that the 44 looks awesome on your wrist. Definitely wait to see what AP has up its sleeve at SIHH this year. Good luck on the hunt!

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 12:11 PM   #14
kn_watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex/Pam
The TI44 looks great on you. My wrist is about 7in, and I ended up with the TI earlier this year. The watch is really comfortable. If you're looking for a daily watch, this is the one. Now, if the 26401RO is within your budget, i'd personally go with that one.

IG: @kn_watches
kn_watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 12:16 PM   #15
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
TI looks just dandy on you, try the RG versions too.

AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 12:38 PM   #16
Andrés G
"TRF" Member

The TI44 is an awesome watch. I have been thinking about adding one for a while. If we don’t see something great at SIHH, it will be my next watch.
Andrés G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 06:53 PM   #17
Watchfunday
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all your comments. It seems SIHH 2018 did not offer anything that would be of my interest at the moment. As much as I like the look of RG44, I am leaning towards Ti44 since it is more suitable for everyday use.

Question for Ti44 owners: durability, does it scratch easily and does the tone of the case change over time? I wonder if AP is using some kind of coating to protect from scratches. I was under impression that Ti is harder than steel, but after googling it seems that it is not necessarily the case. Evidently, Refurbishing Ti case might be more difficult compared to steel.
Old 15 January 2018, 07:03 PM   #18
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpa69 View Post
Thanks for all your comments. It seems SIHH 2018 did not offer anything that would be of my interest at the moment. As much as I like the look of RG44, I am leaning towards Ti44 since it is more suitable for everyday use.

Question for Ti44 owners: durability, does it scratch easily and does the tone of the case change over time? I wonder if AP is using some kind of coating to protect from scratches. I was under impression that Ti is harder than steel, but after googling it seems that it is not necessarily the case. Evidently, Refurbishing Ti case might be more difficult compared to steel.
oddly enough it was way more scratch resistant than my SS AP's. When i sold it, they asked me if i ever wore it since it looked brand new when it was being inspected. I was not particularly careful with it. Not sure why that is the case, but it was true for me.

AFAIK titanium is stronger than steel as far as strength/weight ratio thats why its used where strength and lightness are requirements because its a lot less dense. Ive heard that it doesnt hold a polish as well also, but i didn't find that to be true personally.
Old 15 January 2018, 07:09 PM   #19
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
oddly enough it was way more scratch resistant than my SS AP's. When i sold it, they asked me if i ever wore it since it looked brand new when it was being inspected. I was not particularly careful with it. Not sure why that is the case, but it was true for me.

AFAIK titanium is stronger than steel as far as strength/weight ratio thats why its used where strength and lightness are requirements, and its also a lot less dense. Ive heard that it doesnt hold a polish as well also, but i didn't find that to be true personally.
I second that! After owning/seeing some of the Ti offerings from other manufactures which mark easier then SS, I’m certain AP use a different grade of Ti as the buckle which we know on all watches is the area prone to marking the most, it’s scratch free!

Granted I’ve never owned a SS AP but the Ti is holding up the best of any watch I’ve owned

Tyler out of interest what did WF offer you on the Ti? At one point they had them up above retail but as we know they are not that hard to locate!
Last time in the city both Selfridges and Harrods had one on display, funnily enough both were positioned next to the now discontinued Pt44
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 07:14 PM   #20
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
I second that! After owning/seeing some of the Ti offerings from other manufactures which mark easier then SS, I’m certain AP use a different grade of Ti as the buckle which we know on all watches is the area prone to marking the most, it’s scratch free!

Granted I’ve never owned a SS AP but the Ti is holding up the best of any watch I’ve owned

Tyler out of interest what did WF offer you on the Ti? At one point they had them up above retail but as we know they are not that hard to locate!
Last time in the city both Selfridges and Harrods had one on display, funnily enough both were positioned next to the now discontinued Pt44
it was pretty good. Ill say it was more than GB Man paid for his brand new Ti 44, by about 1.5k USD. I still lost some, but it was a fair deal. I see the Ti all the time at AD's. The RG is pretty common too. Its nice AP is making those watches widely available unlike some others.
Old 15 January 2018, 07:22 PM   #21
SC11
Banned

Quote:
it was pretty good. Ill say it was more than GB Man paid for his brand new Ti 44, by about 1.5k USD. I still lost some, but it was a fair deal. I see the Ti all the time at AD's. The RG is pretty common too. Its nice AP is making those watches widely available unlike some others.
Cool, I know last year they offered £21k on mine but heard recently they are now around 18/19k which isn’t bad considering it’s not a Rolex or PP

Which WF branch do you deal with? To be honest I just pop in to window shop but on both occasions they have offered to take in on trade or buy the watch off my wrist could understand it with the Daytona but I was surprised with the Ti given they were available.
Old 15 January 2018, 07:26 PM   #22
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Cool, I know last year they offered £21k on mine but heard recently they are now around 18/19k which isn’t bad considering it’s not a Rolex or PP

Which WF branch do you deal with? To be honest I just pop in to window shop but on both occasions they have offered to take in on trade or buy the watch off my wrist could understand it with the Daytona but I was surprised with the Ti given they were available.
i go to burlington arcade, upstairs. Its the office though and not a store. Its more like 18k GBP now for excellent condition, but then again US AD's are discounting brand new ones to that level.
Old 15 January 2018, 08:26 PM   #23
Watchfunday
"TRF" Member

Thank you mates!! It seems there is no need to worry
Old 15 January 2018, 11:23 PM   #24
Watchfunday
"TRF" Member

Just pulled the trigger on Ti44. Can't wait until Wednesday!
Old 15 January 2018, 11:30 PM   #25
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
congrats
Old 16 January 2018, 12:20 AM   #26
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Second that. Congratulations!
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 12:24 AM   #27
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

Are you sure? Looks like a CE bezel and TI case 42 has come out.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 12:42 AM   #28
kn_watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex/Pam
Quote:
Congrats!

IG: @kn_watches
kn_watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 01:14 AM   #29
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Congrats it’s a great ROO
Old 16 January 2018, 01:38 AM   #30
Watchfunday
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Are you sure? Looks like a CE bezel and TI case 42 has come out.

Yep, I want 44 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk