The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 January 2018, 09:00 AM   #31
BristolCavendish
Banned

I imagine it might be dangerous if one were a rap artist attired in full bling and strutting down the inner-city streets of NYC (or any major metropolis) late at night.

The massive gold chains, multi-carat diamond earrings (along with a flashy 18K Rolex Day-Date) could attract some unnecessary attention.

The same might be said for someone wearing a Rolex baseball cap. Chances are the guy isn't wearing a Casio/Timex and if he was, it would be laughable. Like why even bother?
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 09:07 AM   #32
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy355 View Post
In London 2 of my colleagues have had theirs stolen. One by 3 guys who jumped into a taxi and fought him for his Pepsi and another who had his taken in a distraction by some deft pickpockets
Both were late at night
"Danny Pearce, 31, died after being shot at and stabbed in London by two men who demanded he hand over his Rolex watch"
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=551273
Old 6 January 2018, 09:10 AM   #33
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
In my city that is Gotham mixed with Mad Max, and it's not playing, for sure if you see a Rolex the thousands of highly armed bands will be killed or if you are very lucky you will only be robbed or kidnapped. 30 years ago we were the happiest country in the world and we began to hear that they stole car players, nobody listened and today the Joker governs.
Be careful, if you do not pay attention to what happens one day you could live in hell, we did not imagine it less being an oil country with the largest reserves in the world. Going back to the subject I use my Sub every day, hidden in my jacket. Greetings.
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 09:14 AM   #34
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
I have always felt if you are aware of your surroundings, look like you are more trouble than it is worth, then people have a tendency to leave you alone. Wolves would rather deal with sheep than sheepdogs.jmho
Old 6 January 2018, 09:14 AM   #35
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Mexico is the one (and only) place I have traveled to and left my Rolex at home. Not worth getting killed over.
Even Cancun? Wore my TT Sub there on every occasion and never felt uneasy.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 09:18 AM   #36
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I'm as careful as possible and always watch my surroundings but I did buy an Orient blue ray ll ($169.) for air travel vacations
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 11:34 AM   #37
worldfamoussam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date II
It’s all about context. Be careful and aware. And if someone points a knife or a gun at you, give them the watch. Insured or not, it’s not worth your life!
Old 6 January 2018, 12:50 PM   #38
Seanken
Banned

When i travel into places i don't have any experience with, I leave my expensive things at home.
Seanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 01:16 PM   #39
JR_Rider
"TRF" Member

I typically don't wear mine when traveling internationally outside of Western Europe. But I just came back from Southeast Asia and wish I had taken my GMT2 with me. I saw people with luxury watches all over the place. As others mentioned, I think it's all about being aware of your surroundings.
JR_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 05:23 PM   #40
Henry F.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega AT 150
I do not wear expensive things outside of "first world" places.
Like the saying, if you're in Rome, do as the Romans.
Meaning, try to blend in.
Robbers look for a victim.
Try not to look like that victim.
The man being killed in London over a Rolex worthing a few thousands is pretty shocking somehow...what a shame.
Henry F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 06:37 PM   #41
barkandjack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewizard View Post
4:46 this guy starts talking about the danger aspect of wearing a rolex.

Do any of you agree with what he's saying? Do you feel concerned wearing your rolex around town? Excluding the "stealth" models (Explorer 1/2, subs, milgauss and airking).

I'm buying a two tone gmt ceramic soon. I used to think that most people would assume it's fake... but now i'm unsure.
Thanks OP for watching and sharing the video.

All the sections of that video are simply based on personal experiences.

To put some more context on that section. I live in London and one day walking home I was very very nearly mugged. 2 guys on one scooter and 1 guy on another, they were both fully blacked out with just their eyes showing. They were riding on the pavement weaving in and out of people, I pulled my shirt sleeve over my watch and stepped aside. They stopped in front of me and within seconds I was surrounded, not just by the scooter guys, but people on foot too. Had they spotted the watch and made me a target? I was dressed as a target: jacket, chinos, shirt, brogues... I didn't hang around. I ran into a nearby supermarket, they followed me in but I managed to lose them.

This is just part of living in London. There are always stories of people in Knightsbridge being mugged for their watches, wealthy people in a wealthy area are the perfect target.

I'm "streetwise", but things can happen very quickly. People eye up my 5513 and Kermit on the tube, a quick glance on their wrist can show they are simply fellow watch lovers. But sometimes they can appear to be unfavourable folk.

The section wasn't supposed to be fear-mongering, just to highlight to potential Rolex owners that their watch might bring unwanted attention and be aware of your surrounding.

A two-tone GMT is easily recognisable as Rolex. But you just need to be smart about how and where you wear it.

I eventually sold my 5513 for a 14270 (crazy I know).
Explorer 1 for every day and my Kermit for when I feel like it.

barkandjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 07:19 PM   #42
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

On my last trip, I rode my bicycle by myself in the isolated mountainous area in South East Asia, I even left my shiny Seiko Turtle PADI at home, I was wearing an old stealthy Citizen titanium diver with a black rubber strap. My bike was an another stealthy crappy looking 20 years old Titanium mountain bike that was built with top of the line parts of its time.

No need to flash my Rolex here to get me in trouble. Wear your rolex wherever you want but for me it's common sense and my safety comes first
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 07:49 PM   #43
G'ed
"TRF" Member

The safest place to wear your Rolex is probably Rolex AD and police station. Any other places, there’s always risk of getting rob.

Ok, strike off Rolex AD. They rob you too.
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 09:00 PM   #44
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Safest thing to do is to just go into the AD daily and take a snap for the WRUW daily thread and head home.

For those of us that need more, some situational awareness goes a long way. Discretion is the key.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 10:28 PM   #45
Brny11
"TRF" Member

I 100% agree. Had a girl put her arm around me in Nashville. Asked me to get out of there to have fun (convo was very explicit). I walked away as she was a prostitute or up to something. I Was with 10 friend's, mostly split up at this point of the night. A buddy had the same thing happen (very specific script, identical to the dialogue with the girl I encountered). Difference is, he fell for it and woke up on street with no Rolex or cell phone (memory a little hazy).

His insurance finally came through after months, but the sentiment of the stolen piece could not be replaced.

Every time I am at the outlets, there is a stand for watch / jewelry cleaners. Guy ALWAYS yells out "hey bring your Rolex over". The fact that he can spot it from far shows how easy it is for you to be spotted and become a target.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 11:53 PM   #46
Mick8moses
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opawlows View Post
Only time I don't wear a more expensive time piece is when I am travelling. Much like a few others have said, I take a G-shock so that I have one less thing to worry about while having fun and trekking about.
X2 I wear my watch to match the situation. If I'm wearing my suit I wear one of my dress watches, at work my Sub, me-time the Sea Dweller, for walking the streets of Mexico or operating power tools the G-shock.
Common sense really. I travel with my G-shock on my wrist, comfortable travel shirt and cargo pants.... And frequently with my SD43 in an Oakley soft vault in my carry on - that I wear once I am within the confines of a resort.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Mick8moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 11:55 PM   #47
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
I wouldn’t consider the sub, ss or pm, stealth since it’s one of the most recognizable rolexes, if not watches in general.
I’ve been wearing my sub everywhere for over 7 years now, NYC, Philadelphia, all over Italy, Florida, etc etc. no problems. Also, it’s insured for peace of mind.
Old 6 January 2018, 11:57 PM   #48
RolexJames
"TRF" Member

I decided to leave a Rolex in my safe at home rather than take it on holiday to Mexico thinking it would be far to risky to wear out or leave in the hotel room safe.

When I got back from my holiday, my house had been burgled and my safe broken into with the entire contents taken.

Wish I had just taken it with me. Nowhere is safe...!
RolexJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 12:08 AM   #49
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
You can see from the responses here you have people that have good SA (Situational Awareness) and some that are totally oblivious and think life is wonderful and that nothing will ever happen to me. Most people that are not into watches wont ever notice whats on your wrist. Then theres people that are very bad in nature and these are the ones you need to be concerned with. They know exactly whats on your wrist, model number and street value for a quick flip. Some work in teams and scout out people that are in the oblivious category and make sure they relieve you of your hard earned possessions. There has been some good prudent advice given here. Follow it and with some luck you will never have any problems.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 12:11 AM   #50
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I travel globally in my work. I have worn some model of Rolex for over 25 years in my travels. Never had a problem but as others have said, don’t thrust my arm in anyone’s face anywhere either whether it’s a perceived safe area or shady part of town.
I don’t have hard data but certainly perceive that the last few years street level crime has increased in many countries and the criminals are becoming more brazen or violent so I have increased my own awareness and sometimes opted to leave the Rolex home when visiting some places.
The other view I have is that no matter what you are flashing or not flashing, tourists and business travelers are fairly easy to spot and target by local criminals. They don’t need a Rolex to call you out. If you are targeted not having a watch on your wrist likely isn’t going to prevent someone from trying to rob you.
So I wear my Rolex almost everywhere and when in doubt make sure it’s tucked under my sleeve. I don’t believe in tempting criminals either.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 12:15 AM   #51
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Agree with Old Geezer.

BTW wear the SkyD SS blue 24/7 as a daily beater, no worries. Before that it was a ceramic Sub.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 12:23 AM   #52
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
First of all, I would take anything you find on You Tube with a huge grain...I mean boulder, of salt.

Next, use your common walking around sense and you'll be fine.
Pretty much sums it up for me too

Want to make a video Larry
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 12:47 AM   #53
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Safety concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexJames View Post
I decided to leave a Rolex in my safe at home rather than take it on holiday to Mexico thinking it would be far to risky to wear out or leave in the hotel room safe.

When I got back from my holiday, my house had been burgled and my safe broken into with the entire contents taken.

Wish I had just taken it with me. Nowhere is safe...!

I certainly understand your last line from personal experience. Perhaps the stats say we are safer with it on our wrist than sitting on a winder at home (with or without a safe).

On the topic of wearing your Rolex out and about, the risks likely vary with your surroundings. While we may feel safer in some places, and not in other ones we rate as dangerous by reputation, I’d say more people are bitten in shallow water than deep.

https://youtu.be/lXXU7ekq8IU

My metaphor is that none of us will ever know how close we came to a Rolex Land Shark even in the ritziest surroundings. YMMV -

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 01:02 AM   #54
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

My wife leaves the house everyday with two rings on her finger that combined are worth twice any Rolex I have. We travel everywhere with them. I do caution her not to flaunt them when they glint in certain light. But for some reason we worry over our watches while our wives wear diamonds on their fingers and ears worth far more.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 01:04 AM   #55
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

For WIS Eyes Only.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 01:06 AM   #56
yhzdude
2024 Pledge Member

Best advise I had when traveling was dress like the local.
1st time I was in Bogota. ..I notice that all.local were wearing jeans and only the American were wearing short..and you could spot them a mile away...that was an eye opener.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
yhzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 01:18 AM   #57
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
This is good advise.

I believe it is good *advice*
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 01:37 AM   #58
cc75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Skydweller
I wear it everytime, everywhere. At work in Paris. Vacations in Napoly, Spain, Thailand. Never had an issue.
cc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 02:12 AM   #59
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
For WIS Eyes Only.
That's actually a good title, Neil. I'll get started on that right away.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 08:55 AM   #60
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by G'ed View Post
Ok, strike off Rolex AD. They rob you too.