The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 January 2018, 08:37 AM   #31
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artschool View Post
in the UK watches are allocated based upon the class system.
Then explain how Conor Mcgreggor has managed to lay his hands on virtually every model going
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2018, 08:38 AM   #32
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duende01 View Post
Doesn't make much sense to me for multiple reasons, but if you say so then it must be the case. And to you, based on your own experience, it is a guarantee that this is the case with all ADs? Funny as I have never been told I cannot sell to you because you are not local. Never have I been asked how I plan to use or what I plan to do with the watch neither. But of course, I am in the Benelux area that allows for me to shop in at least three countries with Rolex ADs within 20 to 30 minutes drive between ADs. Will make sure I check next time I am in the U.K. and see what they say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
I would think ADs only care about making sales. Any AD is going to call their regular customers first when they get a high demand model in stock, but a sale is a sale. If I was a dealer that’s all I’d care about - making the sale. Why would I care what the customer’s final intent may be?
No, the primary aim of ADs is to keep their franchise and stay in business with Rolex, who have warned ADs they will be cut loose if they are serial grey suppliers. And that is why the locals only rule has been enforced by most ADs on the popular models, any that don't are suicidally playing with fire. The UK situation is an extreme, if you haven't lived here for the last year and a half you really have no idea what you are talking about, but as this thread reinforces those that are here know the state of play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
Agree. Business is business in my mind as well.
Just to confirm, it is not the ADs, they don't care who the watch goes to, they just bank their margin - it is Rolex that does not want their watches all going to greys as was and is still largely happening here and now in the US, and making them as profitable as Rolex themselves who made the watches in the first place. They look like mugs and they are not having it. They care about the brand image, the AD's just about profits.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2018, 08:38 AM   #33
wb55
"TRF" Member

You can get whatever you want as a foreigner so long as it’s a DateJust or precious metal. Sports models you’ll be limited to Exp1,2 and Milguass.
wb55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2018, 08:45 AM   #34
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Old 8 January 2018, 08:51 AM   #35
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
No, the primary aim of ADs is to keep their franchise and stay in business with Rolex, who have warned ADs they will be cut loose if they are serial grey suppliers. And that is why the locals only rule has been enforced by most ADs on the popular models, any that don't are suicidally playing with fire. The UK situation is an extreme, if you haven't lived here for the last year and a half you really have no idea what you are talking about, but as this thread reinforces those that are here know the state of play.

Just to confirm, it is not the ADs, they don't care who the watch goes to, they just bank their margin, it is Rolex that do not want their watches all going to greys as was and is still largely happening here and now in the US, and making them as profitable as Rolex themselves who made the watches in the first place. They look like mugs and they are not having it. They care about the brand image, the AD's just about profits.
Neil is bang on,,,
you do really need to live here to see the madness,,,,,
not yet two yrs ago £6750 for a blnr,,same today ,,a nearly one yr old watch with full set is £8500,,,,,
patek is even worse,,,,prices compared to rrp are astonishing,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2018, 08:54 AM   #36
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
UK Dealers selling to Foreigners

Quote:

Just to confirm, it is not the ADs, they don't care who the watch goes to, they just bank their margin - it is Rolex that does not want their watches all going to greys as was and is still largely happening here and now in the US, and making them as profitable as Rolex themselves who made the watches in the first place. They look like mugs and they are not having it. They care about the brand image, the AD's just about profits.

makes sense to ‘right the ship’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2018, 08:54 AM   #37
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
As much as we all want the supply equilibrium in the UK to return to some normality in 2018 it won’t. Even just being local now is not enough, withholding warranty cards etc etc all stickers off (I know it’s a “rule” now).

I don’t envisage full window displays this year beaming with SS sports stock in the UK. They’ll all be holed up in the nice big solid steel ‘display’ cabinet in the back until you commit to the PM piece.

I’ll never pay grey. As much as Rolex try their best to limit the grey market until we the consumers stop buying grey it will continue to thrive. They won’t increase supply and dilute their brand. Yet we all still crave for it and plead to be put on wait lists.

Just imagine one London AD told me they were doing me a “GIANT favour” by allowing me to be placed on their “closed” D500 list - I only had to wait for 7 years OR show some serious intent on the WG Smurf I was eyeing up in the cabinet.......go figure

“It’s a watch, it tells time. Not much else”
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2018, 08:58 AM   #38
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaySL350 View Post
Neil is bang on,,,
not yet two yrs ago £6750 for a blnr,,same today ,,a nearly one yr old watch with full set is £8500,,,,,
Jay, a friend of mine yesterday offered me £8k for the BLNR I still have to pick up on my holiday later this month from India. I’ve bought it stickers still on and just waiting to stick it on my wrist!

I told him a. I won’t ever sell coz it’s my first (most like for many years to come, my only) Rolex and b. I didn’t wanna encourage the practice of secondary selling.

So......Rolex if you are listening!!!!! There are genuine people who love your brand and your history and the accolades that come with the products you make! We’re not all out to make a fast buck off your back!

(Rant over)

Old 8 January 2018, 09:14 AM   #39
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarosh View Post
As much as we all want the supply equilibrium in the UK to return to some normality in 2018 it won’t. Even just being local now is not enough, withholding warranty cards etc etc all stickers off (I know it’s a “rule” now).

I don’t envisage full window displays this year beaming with SS sports stock in the UK. They’ll all be holed up in the nice big solid steel ‘display’ cabinet in the back until you commit to the PM piece.

I’ll never pay grey. As much as Rolex try their best to limit the grey market until we the consumers stop buying grey it will continue to thrive. They won’t increase supply and dilute their brand. Yet we all still crave for it and plead to be put on wait lists.

Just imagine one London AD told me they were doing me a “GIANT favour” by allowing me to be placed on their “closed” D500 list - I only had to wait for 7 years OR show some serious intent on the WG Smurf I was eyeing up in the cabinet.......go figure
I think Rolex will have to increase prices and will probably do so, as I can't see supply rising much now either, esp as demand is also on the rise so there will still be an imbalance. The grey prices are so high now that if I was selling a popular model I would not sell to greys first but to forum members at a price the greys were asking me for, so ADs are really the only way to get them at retail, which is an outdated price and way below the market rate.
Old 8 January 2018, 09:15 AM   #40
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Military issue Sub
Quote:
Neil is bang on,,,
You’re looking in the wrong places.

An unworn and stickered BLNR is available in the U.K. for nearly a thousand less than that. Ok, that’s still over RRP but Watchfinder and their “reach for the stars” price-gun don’t set the market paradigm just yet.
*Comex:5513,5514,1665x2,16800x2,16600 *Mil sub:5517x2,5513x9,5512 *Submariner:6536/1x2,5508,5513 PCG u/line & double SWISS (America's Cup),5513 giltx2, 5513 m-firstx2,5513 gloss WGx2,1680 Red,1680 White Mk1 & Mk2 *Sea-Dweller:1665 DRSDx3,Great Whitex3 *GMT-Master:6542x2 (1 Bakelite),1675x8 (2 gilt), 16750 & SeaKing 116710LN *Explorer:1016x6 (1 gilt),5500x3,14270 Blackout, Orange 1655 x4 *Milgauss 1019x3 *Cosmo 6263 *RNCD DSSD 116660.
Haywood_Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2018, 09:17 AM   #41
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think Rolex will have to increase prices and will probably do so, as I can't see supply rising much now either, esp as demand is also on the rise so there will still be an imbalance. The grey prices are so high now that if I was selling a popular model I would not sell to greys first but to forum members at a price the greys were asking me for, so ADs are really the only way to get them at retail, which is an outdated price and way below the market rate.
Neil, as always completely bang on. BUT I know this has been said many times too, how much can we truly consider spending on an SS sports watch? It’s not even on the lines of an Aquanaut or AP RO in terms of finishing and aesthetics. So eventually will the question become how much can one spend on a robust solid SS built watch?

Would you pay 8/9k retail for a LN sub or GMT? Or just save up more and go PM/TT.....

Old 8 January 2018, 09:23 AM   #42
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Neil, as always completely bang on. BUT I know this has been said many times too, how much can we truly consider spending on an SS sports watch? It’s not even on the lines of an Aquanaut or AP RO in terms of finishing and aesthetics. So eventually will the question become how much can one spend on a robust solid SS built watch?

Would you pay 8/9k retail for a LN sub or GMT? Or just save up more and go PM/TT.....
Indeed, prices are crazy to me but as I wrote on the other thread WF sold a LVc priced at £9250 recently so they are buying, however there are 5 BLNRs still there now so maybe there is an end in sight, and as Haywood says they stop trying to set the market.
Old 8 January 2018, 09:27 AM   #43
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Indeed, prices are crazy to me but as I wrote on the other thread WF sold a LVc priced at £9250 recently so they are buying, however there are 5 BLNRs still there now so maybe there is an end in sight.
BLNR’s may only be there right now because there’s a lot of hype and rumours regarding LVC coming to the end of its life at Basel. Either way, you’re right maybe people are finally seeing sense that now 2.5k grey premium is abit too much! I wonder if WF will lower their prices if they continue to stay unsold.....

FWIW - my cousin walked into his local AD who promptly offered him a “tidy” sum for the 5 digit LV he was wearing. Flat 4 - he declined, they even offered him a SS SkyD blue dial (at Retail) there and then if he were to reconsider. Safe to say he was better off with the LV

Old 8 January 2018, 10:51 AM   #44
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:

In the world of Rolex Sport watches, Stainless Steel IS the new PM!
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2018, 06:01 PM   #45
artschool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
Then explain how Conor Mcgreggor has managed to lay his hands on virtually every model going
he doesn't live in the UK
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2018, 07:46 PM   #46
jaydav2306
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Indeed, prices are crazy to me but as I wrote on the other thread WF sold a LVc priced at £9250 recently so they are buying, however there are 5 BLNRs still there now so maybe there is an end in sight, and as Haywood says they stop trying to set the market.
The stock on WF goes up and down each week, believe me they will sell everyone of the those BLNRs for over £8K
jaydav2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2018, 11:03 PM   #47
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
You’re looking in the wrong places.

An unworn and stickered BLNR is available in the U.K. for nearly a thousand less than that. Ok, that’s still over RRP but Watchfinder and their “reach for the stars” price-gun don’t set the market paradigm just yet.
Thats re-assuring but the reality for us that buy watches in London,,
is very different to the rest of the country,,,,
Watchfinder is easy and conveniant when work and family commitments make it virtually impossible to drive up and down the country to find the piece we want,,,,,
Old 8 January 2018, 11:27 PM   #48
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thats re-assuring but the reality for us that buy watches in London,,
is very different to the rest of the country,,,,
Watchfinder is easy and conveniant when work and family commitments make it virtually impossible to drive up and down the country to find the piece we want,,,,,
True. Jay just end it all and get that beauty from your father in law. And become that one watch guy you know deep down you want to be! Lol

Old 8 January 2018, 11:46 PM   #49
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Quote:
True. Jay just end it all and get that beauty from your father in law. And become that one watch guy you know deep down you want to be! Lol
One day Sarosh,,,,,,,,,
thanks buddy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 8 January 2018, 11:51 PM   #50
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
In the world of Rolex Sport watches, Stainless Steel IS the new PM!
Oh Man. Sadly so true Mike.

No more discounts on SS sports models even if you can find one. Remember the good old days? When if you didn't get 10 % off you would walk. It was like that in the UK at one time too right? I feel for you all.

On the bright side when you do score a SS model it must be pretty darn gratifying.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 12:37 AM   #51
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydav2306 View Post
The stock on WF goes up and down each week, believe me they will sell everyone of the those BLNRs for over £8K
I'm sure they will, but maybe the rate will slow down, I saw three there last month so maybe things are slowing.
Old 9 January 2018, 12:43 AM   #52
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector!
Good luck. Lack of stock as reported by many UK forum members will make it hard for you to get a SS piece, that is, of course, unless you buy a less desirable PM piece first. The. Maybe you just might be able to source something you may like.
drmizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 12:48 AM   #53
Beckster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I guess I was just lucky then. As mentioned earlier, I managed to get a GMT LN from an AD in London as a tourist last September. My buddy who was with me then asked if they had another. Lo and behold sales guy said yes. He snagged it too!
Old 9 January 2018, 01:01 AM   #54
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmizzou View Post
Good luck. Lack of stock as reported by many UK forum members will make it hard for you to get a SS piece, that is, of course, unless you buy a less desirable PM piece first. The. Maybe you just might be able to source something you may like.
Yes,,i think if you turn up at a London Ad and drop £100k on pm Rolex then its pretty certain that your lvc or 500c will be with you within days,,,,
Old 9 January 2018, 01:34 AM   #55
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckster View Post
I guess I was just lucky then. As mentioned earlier, I managed to get a GMT LN from an AD in London as a tourist last September. My buddy who was with me then asked if they had another. Lo and behold sales guy said yes. He snagged it too!
Nah, GMT LN’s aren’t that hard to find. Along with the DSSD (not the JC) it’s slightly rarer than the ubiquitous AK, various flavours of Milgauss and both Explorers, but I’ve seen a few in the windows of London AD’s.

You won’t see a Sub, date or no date, in the window and they may take weeks-months to source. The real rocking horse shit pieces are LvC, BLNR, JC DSSD and SD43. All long waiting list pieces, months if not longer and all selling for 20% or more over MSRP on the grey market.

As for the D500. The AD will literally laugh in your face.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 03:53 AM   #56
Gman11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haberdashery View Post
Is that for a BLNR or the black one?
Black one
Gman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 04:38 AM   #57
Shaky
"TRF" Member

I have only seen an LVc in the flesh once and that was on a guys wrist. Never actually seen one in an AD, and I have been in a few in the UK.

I am sure that Basel will send buyers into a feeding frenzy with some surprise offering. The let down will be there won’t be any to buy for the mere mortal and we will all be discussing the lastest offering that is 40% more than RRP on a greys website.
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 04:49 AM   #58
jivamukti.jim
"TRF" Member

I am new to posting on this forum, having spent several months passively reading - lots of great info on these pages.
I am now in a position to buy a Rolex (after much saving!) and really like the black face submariner with steel and gold strap - 116613LN.
I am English but am working in the US at the moment and plan to buy one when I visit family in London/SE Engalnd at the beginning of Feb. I have called around a few ADs but they don't have the model I want in stock and were kind of vague about giving me a call if they get one in.
Your advice would be greatly appreciated on whether you think I will be able to get one and if you could PM me any good dealers that would be great!
I can buy one here for $13.6k plus tax but it will be significantly cheaper for me to buy in the UK, so am keen to do so.
Thanks in advance!
jivamukti.jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 04:56 AM   #59
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jivamukti.jim View Post
I am new to posting on this forum, having spent several months passively reading - lots of great info on these pages.
I am now in a position to buy a Rolex (after much saving!) and really like the black face submariner with steel and gold strap - 116613LN.
I am English but am working in the US at the moment and plan to buy one when I visit family in London/SE Engalnd at the beginning of Feb. I have called around a few ADs but they don't have the model I want in stock and were kind of vague about giving me a call if they get one in.
Your advice would be greatly appreciated on whether you think I will be able to get one and if you could PM me any good dealers that would be great!
I can buy one here for $13.6k plus tax but it will be significantly cheaper for me to buy in the UK, so am keen to do so.
Thanks in advance!
That shouldn’t be a hard model to track down at all.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 05:09 AM   #60
Shaky
"TRF" Member

Visit in person would be my advice. That might be hard for you but send a family member in and get your name down on some lists.
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote