The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 January 2018, 01:29 AM   #31
grimps
"TRF" Member

I wear my watches anywhere I feel like it but for me personally it feels uncomfortable when I exercise.
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 01:30 AM   #32
Z3ke
"TRF" Member

I dont wear my timepieces in the gym. I do weightlifting, training exclusively snatch & clean and jerk with other accessory movements. The watch would only get in the way and the rapid movement isnt safe for the watch anyhow. Also cant wear it doing all these stretches and using straps for the heavy pulls from the floor. I used to wear a g shock when i started the out but now id rather not wear anything. Outside the gym ill wear my time pieces hehe
Z3ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 01:34 AM   #33
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
This seems to be a topic that comes up frequently here... I'm def in the no chance I'm wearing mine to the gym side of this argument.

Sweat obviously isn't the issue, to me it is the danger of banging, dropping a weight, etc. etc... I'm not someone who walks around with bubble wrap on my wrist, I know I'm going to scratch my watch here and there, it happens - but I'm not going to do something that I think adds unnecessary high risk to cause physical damage.

Just me, YMMV
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 02:00 AM   #34
NothingToSeeHere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Why anyone would want to wear an expensive time piece when chucking heavy weights around is beyond my comprehension. Aside from the risk of damage, it's plain uncomfortable.

I get that gym lockers are not the safest places in the world but there are measures one can adopt if safety is a concern. Several guys I know in my UK gym carry a small back pack around the gym floor with them, with their drink bottle, phone, gloves, etc. inside so why not have a watch in their too?
People like the attention, but they won't admit it!!!! :D
NothingToSeeHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 02:21 AM   #35
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Just don't see the issue.

I wear mine. Always have. What ever is my watch at the time, gets worn all day long for everything. That's the beauty of Rolex! That was a Massive part of the draw to me

Used to be sub's, then, explorers, , now Daytona.

Gym. Swim. Sauna. And in bed. Dinner out. Or night in. Beach. Or anything

It'll go in my pocket if I feel unsafe or risk of damage
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 02:24 AM   #36
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco21 View Post
Worn every watch I’ve ever had to the gym.Be it benching 500lbs,deadlifting 700 or curling 200.Or doing an hour of cardio.Rolex was built for it.
So this guy walks into the gym wearing a gold Rolex.....

This whole thread feels like it's in need of a punchline to me. And people wonder where the Rolex stereotypes come from.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 02:24 AM   #37
opawlows
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor/Breit
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
not for me but whatever ....

Personally i can’t stand the feeling of anything on my wrists while i workout. Just me i guess
+1
opawlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 02:25 AM   #38
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingToSeeHere View Post
People like the attention, but they won't admit it!!!! :D
Far from it...

Hate it if it gets noticed... Standard reply - "Thailand special mate"
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 02:33 AM   #39
Bigblu10
Banned

IMO a 30K shiny gold watch is so out of place in a gym where t-shirts, shorts, and sneakers and headphones are worn, I would not consider it in a million years. What is the point? You need to know the time? Cellphone playing YouTube music? check. Clock on the wall? check. Every cable news network channel playing on the TV's with time displayed? check. Other than to make an ostentatious statement, makes no logical sense.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 02:36 AM   #40
mtgjr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
IMO a 30K shiny gold watch is so out of place in a gym where t-shirts, shorts, and sneakers and headphones are worn, I would not consider it in a million years. What is the point? You need to know the time? Cellphone playing YouTube music? check. Clock on the wall? check. Every cable news network channel playing on the TV's with time displayed? check. Other than to make an ostentatious statement, makes no logical sense.
Yep
Old 9 January 2018, 03:25 AM   #41
loneju
"TRF" Member

It is possible that he forgot change his watch before going to the gym, and he feels much safer wearing it rather than to leaving in the locker, where locker theft may occur.
loneju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 03:29 AM   #42
duc888
"TRF" Member

I wear my watches all day long and if I am in the gym....then I wear it in the gym. Very simple.
duc888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 03:49 AM   #43
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral View Post
This is nice watch with patina, really look good on you.

Mine is later production exp II but I don’t mind to get one like yours if can find one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! I also had a 2008 EXPII. They’re beautiful watches.

This one is my birth year.

Yours looks fantastic on Jubilee

Andrejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 06:54 AM   #44
MJK737
"TRF" Member

Watch: This, Hold my Beer
Ive been excercising 5/6 days a week since I was in high school, and have been wearing a watch 24/7 since I was around 6 or 7.

I received my first G Shock in the 8th grade and just got used to its durability. I tired of the black plastic look about 15 years ago and got into “nicer watches” but still treated them as a G Shock, I guess that was my draw to Rolex and Omega...

During the last 15 years I’ve worn all my watches except my Speedy to the gym only because I go straight to the hot tub when I’m done, and we all know Speedy don’t surf!

I’ve never had an issue and never gave it a second thought. My main lineup is a 14060M, 16750, an Omega 2254.50, Kobold Polar Surveyor and of course my Speedy. I rotate through them all and if my body is doing it so is my watch. At the end of the day, who cares? To each his own.

As a side note, there’s an old dude at my gym who rocks a gold Day Date all the time. I think its pretty cool.

MJK

Last edited by MJK737; 9 January 2018 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: Fat Fangers
MJK737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 07:03 AM   #45
richard371
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
I don’t like wearing a Watch at the gym. I don’t even wear my Apple Watch lifting weights. There are plenty of clocks on the wall at my gym.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 07:11 AM   #46
Hatch62
"TRF" Member

Watch: S.D. 43, Sub LVc
just say no! at the gym anyway
Hatch62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 08:06 AM   #47
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch62 View Post
just say no! at the gym anyway
The time is all around us at the gym. Sorry, IMO wearing a Rolex at the gym screams look at me. Doesn’t bother me, to each his own. I do know what I think when I see someone strutting around with their Rolex and designer duds at the gym.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 08:12 AM   #48
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

The only time I’m ever wearing my EXPII or SD to the gym is if I head to the gym and forget I have it on my wrist

Andrejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 08:15 AM   #49
genta
"TRF" Member

I prefer a sports watch at the gym, leaving my gold Rolex at home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (96.6 KB, 137 views)
genta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 08:27 AM   #50
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
I wear my watch doing far more hazardous things than lifting weights. But, I don’t wear a watch in the gym as it feels uncomfortable whilst working out.

Wearing a bright YG watch in the gym kind of screams poser to me, but to each his own.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 08:34 AM   #51
mtgjr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
The time is all around us at the gym. Sorry, IMO wearing a Rolex at the gym screams look at me. Doesn’t bother me, to each his own. I do know what I think when I see someone strutting around with their Rolex and designer duds at the gym.
I agree. It's just the sort of thing that gives Rolex a bad rap.....reinforces the negative connotations and unfortunate stereotypes.
Old 9 January 2018, 09:13 AM   #52
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
To me taking an expensive watch to the gym is just foolish. You leave it a locker and take the chance of it being stolen or work out with it and take a chance of smashing or breaking it. IMPO it is just a no win.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 09:43 AM   #53
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
If you go to the gym before or after work do you go home in between to pick up or drop off watch? Do you leave it in the car or a locker to be stolen?

If you’re wearing a gold (or other) watch that day anyway, I’m not sure why you’d do anything other than simply wear it to the gym.

You guys must do different exercises or use different bars, plates, machines than I’m used to. I don’t do anything that would be banging my wrist against metal during a workout.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 09:50 AM   #54
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I was wearing my SkyD when I went to have my SD4KC fitted. After picking up the 4K I decided I'd leave my SkyD in the car while working out and wear the New 4K. I hid the SkyD and worked out. About two weeks later I went to wear my SkyD and could find it nowhere. I thought, I'm certain I had it after working out because I remember checking to make certain it was still where I hid it. I had some things to do so I didn't do an exhaustive search of the house until a few hours later. It was nowhere to be found. Finally I decided to look where I'd hidden it while working out. Sure enough, there is was just as I'd left it. Pretty unsettling having misplaced it; but what a relief when it was found.

All the discussion here makes me paranoid about leaving a watch locked in my locker. I've left an older Omega locked up and forgot to take it with me. Someone just turned it in when they went to use the locker. I've done the same for others. I've never heard of a single break-in or theft at the health club where I go.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 09:57 AM   #55
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
I think most don't care or know.

I prefer my Apple Watch for workouts but in certain situations- i.e. going to the gym on the way home from work or at a hotel gym when out of town, there is no way in hell I am leaving my PM Rolex alone in a car or hotel room.

Better to be thought of as a douche with a gold Rolex than a stand up guy whose gold Rolex got stolen...
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 09:57 AM   #56
MJK737
"TRF" Member

Watch: This, Hold my Beer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjr View Post
I agree. It's just the sort of thing that gives Rolex a bad rap.....reinforces the negative connotations and unfortunate stereotypes.
What do you guys think if you see a guy just focused on working out wearing ratty shorts and a T-shirt with a bunch of military tattoos wearing a Rolex?

I wore my 16750 24/7 for five years straight. It’s been around the world twice, seen the worst and best mankind has to offer and never missed a beat. If it survived all that, a couple of reps at the gym sure isn’t going to hurt it. It’s just a watch gents. It’s really not a big deal.

It’s easy to judge, harder to keep an open mind, I try to remind myself that often. The dudes in the fancy duds? Maybe they are trying to score with the yoga pants ladies. That’s cool by me...

MJK
MJK737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 10:10 AM   #57
Spartan1
"TRF" Member

One of several scenarios:

1) Dude has large bank.
2) Dude has small mind.
3) Dude has a fake.
4) Dude has recently divorced.
5) Dude has a small extension.
6) Dude has #’s 2-6!
Spartan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 10:16 AM   #58
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrejb View Post
Thank you! I also had a 2008 EXPII. They’re beautiful watches.

This one is my birth year.

Yours looks fantastic on Jubilee

Thanks. The jubilee is super comfortable and give it a try if you can. Is yours white or black dial? Love to see your exp 2 too. Cheers

Old 9 January 2018, 10:19 AM   #59
dplawiuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrejb View Post
Lol in my football days. It was more of a joke. Only repping 2 per side now that I’m 40lbs lighter than I used to be :P

I wasn’t going to call bullshit...but I was doing the math.
40lbs lighter? Damn, I’m the opposite. Where’d you play? I was a linebacker at Mac before I wrecked my shoulder.

dplawiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 10:25 AM   #60
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
No judgement here, I've seen it all at gyms/health clubs - especially the Equinox. Women wearing 3-4 Cartier Love bracelets and a boulder of a diamond ring. If a person has the means to wear it, good for them. I find women are on average sporting far higher $$$ jewelry items at the gym.

On this topic, I think for every one argument, there is a counter argument.

From experience, never leave anything you can't replace in a locker.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote