The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 January 2018, 10:51 AM   #61
Kostas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @ kostastimepieces
Toughen the hell up

Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 10:53 AM   #62
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I wear my watch doing far more hazardous things than lifting weights. But, I don’t wear a watch in the gym as it feels uncomfortable whilst working out.

Wearing a bright YG watch in the gym kind of screams poser to me, but to each his own.
Posers at the gym? You mean there are adult males who are so vain they spend inordinate amounts of time looking at themselves in wall mirrors? Take muscle selfies in the hopes of being admired on social media the way duckface teenage girls do? Grunt and groan more loudly than a woman giving birth on a sidewalk in a manner that might have one believe they're passing an undigested grapefruit simply to draw attention? Are you suggesting that there are men who would wear expensive watch-jewelry to the gym in the hopes it, and therefore them, will be noticed?

Say it ain't so!
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 11:04 AM   #63
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
I see gold rolexes all the time at the gym

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 11:51 AM   #64
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK737 View Post
What do you guys think if you see a guy just focused on working out wearing ratty shorts and a T-shirt with a bunch of military tattoos wearing a Rolex?

I wore my 16750 24/7 for five years straight. It’s been around the world twice, seen the worst and best mankind has to offer and never missed a beat. If it survived all that, a couple of reps at the gym sure isn’t going to hurt it. It’s just a watch gents. It’s really not a big deal.

It’s easy to judge, harder to keep an open mind, I try to remind myself that often. The dudes in the fancy duds? Maybe they are trying to score with the yoga pants ladies. That’s cool by me...
I thought we were talking about gold Rolexes. Your 16750 sounds awesome. Would love to see a pic.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 12:13 PM   #65
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
No judgement here, I've seen it all at gyms/health clubs - especially the Equinox. Women wearing 3-4 Cartier Love bracelets and a boulder of a diamond ring. If a person has the means to wear it, good for them. I find women are on average sporting far higher $$$ jewelry items at the gym.

On this topic, I think for every one argument, there is a counter argument.
Women generally wear more jewelry than men in all walks of life doing anything so women wearing gold/diamond jewelry at the gym vs men wearing gold/diamond jewelry at the gym isn't a very good comparison.

If one must bring comparisons to women into it, it's more valid to argue that a man wearing gold-watch jewelry to the gym to work out is akin to a woman wearing high heels with their swimsuit at the swimming pool. Killing time at resorts/hotels around world I've seen it often enough but does anyone believe that women who wear high heels at the pool do so merely because it's their day-to-day attire with no conscious thought given to attention-getting?
Old 9 January 2018, 12:21 PM   #66
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Women generally wear more jewelry than men in all walks of life doing anything so women wearing gold/diamond jewelry at the gym vs men wearing gold/diamond jewelry at the gym isn't a very good comparison.

If one must bring comparisons to women into it, it's more valid argue that a man wearing gold-watch jewelry to the gym to work out is akin to a woman wearing high heels with their swimsuit at the swimming pool. I mean, does anyone believe that they wear high heels at the pool because high heels are what they happen wear in daily life?
Personally speaking, I belong to my neighborhood Planet Fitness gym. So far, no gold Rolex watches, no baller huge gold chains and no diamond necklaces or tiaras on any of the women there. Thank Goodness!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 12:41 PM   #67
aquatimerfla
Banned

I always get a kick out of the guy wearing 'jeans' at the gym

In all fairness wear what you must. Better a gold rolex than a $100 'gold' mall watch.
aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 12:49 PM   #68
masterdinh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610-LV
Your a douche bag if you have to wear a 25k+ watch to the gym. Seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
116710 BLNR, 326934 Black
PAM 24
masterdinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 12:58 PM   #69
G'ed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdinh View Post
Your a douche bag if you have to wear a 25k+ watch to the gym. Seriously.

Nadal must be the biggest douche since he’s wearing million dollar RM while playing tennis? I guess not.
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 12:59 PM   #70
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
as a real deal lifter, can't imagine wearing a watch or anything on my wrists let alone one of my fine watches... nah
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 01:02 PM   #71
MJK737
"TRF" Member

Watch: This, Hold my Beer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjr View Post
I thought we were talking about gold Rolexes. Your 16750 sounds awesome. Would love to see a pic.
I posted a pic on page one of “Your First Rolex, Lets See Them”.

MJK
MJK737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 01:07 PM   #72
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dplawiuk View Post
I wasn’t going to call bullshit...but I was doing the math.
40lbs lighter? Damn, I’m the opposite. Where’d you play? I was a linebacker at Mac before I wrecked my shoulder.

Linebacker western. One pre season and busted back lol.

Also played team Ontario for 3 years. I sit at 190 now. Was 230-235 when I played

Andrejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 01:27 PM   #73
masterdinh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610-LV
Being sponsored and paid MILLIONS is a complete different story, then being a douche bag at the gym trying to show off your watch.

Terrible comparison.

That’s Nadals job and he gets paid to wear it.

So yes, still a douche bag.

116710 BLNR, 326934 Black
PAM 24
masterdinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 01:40 PM   #74
Romeojk

Watch: Submariner 114060
Definitely wear it to the gym. Locker or car is no good. I wear a watch sometimes. Not if I’m taking a class and there’s a chance of using kettle bells cause they will hit it. I definitely don’t wear it playing racquetball, I don’t want to hurt another player with it or bang it against the wall too hard, same as basketball. Yes, all my sports are contact sports, I can’t stop once momentum gets a hold of me. If I wear it by mistake I’ll put it in my bag that stays in my vision.

The gym should be a no judgement zone. Fly your freakish self however you see fit, it’s your time at the gym and your watch.

Romeojk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 02:01 PM   #75
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeojk View Post
Definitely wear it to the gym. Locker or car is no good. I wear a watch sometimes. Not if I’m taking a class and there’s a chance of using kettle bells cause they will hit it. I definitely don’t wear it playing racquetball, I don’t want to hurt another player with it or bang it against the wall too hard, same as basketball. Yes, all my sports are contact sports, I can’t stop once momentum gets a hold of me. If I wear it by mistake I’ll put it in my bag that stays in my vision.

The gym should be a no judgement zone. Fly your freakish self however you see fit, it’s your time at the gym and your watch.

What do you do when some 300 LB. lunk notices your 30K gold Rolex and he decides to follow you out to your vehicle in the parking lot and confront you? Don't say it can't happen.
Old 9 January 2018, 02:06 PM   #76
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I definitely don’t wear it playing racquetball, I don’t want to hurt another player with it or bang it against the wall too hard, same as basketball. Yes, all my sports are contact sports, I can’t stop once momentum gets a hold of me.
Is hockey one of your contact sports? Because if it is and you are indeed, as you say, physically incapable of stopping your momentum I want to go to the rink and see.
Old 9 January 2018, 02:08 PM   #77
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
What do you do when some 300 LB. lunk notices your 30K gold Rolex and he decides to follow you out to your vehicle in the parking lot and confront you? Don't say it can't happen.
To confront you and compliment your watch!? lol.

You think cause it's a place wear people exercise they're more likely to be threatening criminals?

Someone could target you at a coffee shop, train station or any other places you frequent. I guess you're supposed to not wear your watch anywhere for the fear someone will Rob you.

Could it happen (anywhere)? Sure. I don't let it stop me from enjoying my watches. Lastly, this is what insurance is for.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 02:12 PM   #78
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
To confront you and compliment your watch!? lol.

You think cause it's a place wear people exercise they're more likely to be threatening criminals?

Someone could target you at a coffee shop, train station or any other places you frequent. I guess you're supposed to not wear your watch anywhere for the fear someone will Rob you.

Could it happen (anywhere)? Sure. I don't let it stop me from enjoying my watches. Lastly, this is what insurance is for.
I am just saying a 30K gold Rolex is not appropriate for being in the gym. And insurance on your watch won't bring you back from the dead. But hey, to each their own. We are all adults here.
Old 9 January 2018, 02:13 PM   #79
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What do you do when some 300 LB. lunk notices your 30K gold Rolex and he decides to follow you out to your vehicle in the parking lot and confront you?
Um...a Pose-off ensues?
Old 9 January 2018, 02:17 PM   #80
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Um...a Pose-off ensues?
haha maybe a dance fight?
Old 9 January 2018, 02:19 PM   #81
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I am just saying a 30K gold Rolex is not appropriate for being in the gym. And insurance on your watch won't bring you back from the dead. But hey, to each their own. We are all adults here.
again, for some reason you think a club where people pay to exercise is more likely to have violent criminals, than any other place we frequent?

With your mentality I'd be afraid to go anywhere.
Old 9 January 2018, 02:22 PM   #82
G'ed
"TRF" Member

G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 02:54 PM   #83
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I've lifted weights since college and been in various athletics since I was a child. I don't particularly see anything wrong wearing jewellery while working out...but certainly completely unnecessary and serves no purpose. When I go to the gym, play sports, or hit the mats....the last thing I'm worrying about is what's on my wrist...so it stays home or in my office pending where I am.

Personally I'd rather see guys wear nice watches in the gym (though I see no purpose for myself personally) though versus having the new year resolution gang delaying all the stations along with poor gym etiquette
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 03:02 PM   #84
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
I've lifted weights since college and been in various athletics since I was a child. I don't particularly see anything wrong wearing jewellery while working out...but certainly completely unnecessary and serves no purpose. When I go to the gym, play sports, or hit the mats....the last thing I'm worrying about is what's on my wrist...so it stays home or in my office pending where I am.

Personally I'd rather see guys wear nice watches in the gym (though I see no purpose for myself personally) though versus having the new year resolution gang delaying all the stations along with poor gym etiquette
Fortunately the new years resolution crowd only lasts a few months then they fade away.
Old 9 January 2018, 03:58 PM   #85
Romeojk

Quote:

Haha. That is ridiculously funny. I certainly am not in fear of getting followed and mugged at my gym. I would not leave valuables around nor do I trust them but come on, it hasn’t gotten that bad...has it?

Old 9 January 2018, 04:04 PM   #86
Romeojk

Quote:
Is hockey one of your contact sports? Because if it is and you are indeed, as you say, physically incapable of stopping your momentum I want to go to the rink and see.

Haha. No real hockey here, just the pond kind as a yewd (Boston accent youth).

Old 9 January 2018, 04:12 PM   #87
Romeojk

Quote:

You had me at hello...or really, you had me until you mentioned the NY resolution gang. That gang keeps the lights on, plus they’re trying, it’s better than giving up altogether.

Old 9 January 2018, 04:17 PM   #88
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You had me at hello...or really, you had me until you mentioned the NY resolution gang. That gang keeps the lights on, plus they’re trying, it’s better than giving up altogether.

True to some extent..but often the bad gym etiquette and delay they cause in everyone's workouts annoys not only me. Respect is always earned, I'm all about people dedicating to fitness...just not needing an excuse like a new year resolution to make a change and giving in after a month or two.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 04:44 PM   #89
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
All the discussion here makes me paranoid about leaving a watch locked in my locker. I've left an older Omega locked up and forgot to take it with me. Someone just turned it in when they went to use the locker. I've done the same for others. I've never heard of a single break-in or theft at the health club where I go.
You're lucky to have such a place, my friend.

When I lift in my gym back in the UK, I jog on the spot at the same time so no-one steals my shoe laces. Here in Singapore, it's the exact opposite. I leave my watch in the gym locker and don't pause for thought. No one would dare break in and steal it here, you'd get executed for that!

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 04:57 PM   #90
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
True to some extent..but often the bad gym etiquette and delay they cause in everyone's workouts annoys not only me. Respect is always earned, I'm all about people dedicating to fitness...just not needing an excuse like a new year resolution to make a change and giving in after a month or two.
I'm with you all the way on this, John. The NY Resolution Gang are a PITA. If you're going to sort yourself out, why wait until 1st January? JFDI!

I look on the bright side though, 99% of them will have given up by the end of the month.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote