The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 9 January 2018, 07:01 PM   #1
Sporkmaker
"TRF" Member

Watch: peripherally
Royal Oak Winding Question

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice on my first AP, a 15400. I've had the watch for a few weeks now and although I wear it daily, it has stopped running on two occasions already. The manual states that when manually winding it the crown should be turned "At least 30 times" and the selfwinding movement should take it from there. I had wound it with exactly 30 full turns of the crown and then worn it normally except when I was at work so each day the watch sits still from eight to twelve hours before I get home and put it on again. This routine has always worked fine when my daily wearer was a Rolex but not with the AP.

Most recently I returned home from work, put the watch on (still running, time correct) and wore it for a couple hours, then after falling asleep on the couch I found that it had stopped when I woke up. Kind of frustrating. Is it possible that I need to give the crown more revolutions when manually winding to get the full power reserve or did I just end up with a lemon?
Sporkmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 07:26 PM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

what is the history on the watch? It is new or new to you? Either way it could be an issue, warranty issue or time for a service if its older.

However if the watch sits when you are at work "eight to twelve hours before you get home" AND then you sleep so thats another 8 roughly so the watch could be getting worn as little as 4 hours a day. Probably not enough to keep it fully wound and eventually it will stop as its eating into the power reserve each day its not being fully topped up. Try wearing it all day and putting it down at bed time. That is probably the issue.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 08:56 PM   #3
punta del este
"TRF" Member

Considering that your watch is not being moved for more than 8 hours during the day and then is static during the night I suggest that you either wind it or wear it to get the full power reserve and then go back to your usual schedule.

Would not worry too much about winding beyond 30 times as they are meant to be worn and will naturally be wound constantly while its moving.
punta del este is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 10:09 PM   #4
PJ S
Banned

Check the power reserve is at or above the spec – 60 hours.
60 full winds should have the mainspring fully wound, but don't fret if you give it some more, just to be sure – you can't over wind it.
Set the correct date, and time to 12 midnight, so as it's easier to work out when it should stop.
If it stops anything over 2-3 hours before it's expected to, then it may suggest the movement has higher friction than normal, which the reduced torque as it winds down, can't overcome.
If you have a local independent watch repairer, you could ask them to put it on their timegrapher and check the amplitude.
Both of those will give you an idea of the movement's state of health.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 11:04 PM   #5
Ziperian
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Check the power reserve is at or above the spec – 60 hours.
60 full winds should have the mainspring fully wound, but don't fret if you give it some more, just to be sure – you can't over wind it.
Set the correct date, and time to 12 midnight, so as it's easier to work out when it should stop.
If it stops anything over 2-3 hours before it's expected to, then it may suggest the movement has higher friction than normal, which the reduced torque as it winds down, can't overcome.
If you have a local independent watch repairer, you could ask them to put it on their timegrapher and check the amplitude.
Both of those will give you an idea of the movement's state of health.
That is smart advice.
Old 10 January 2018, 12:14 AM   #6
Sporkmaker
"TRF" Member

Thanks to everyone for the advice, I'll try checking the actual power reserve. It's brand new but from an online gray dealer so I assumed I wouldn't be getting a real warranty, but to my surprise inside the box was a plastic factory warranty card. I entered the registration information on the AP site and it accepted it without a problem and told me it was covered until December 2022.
Old 10 January 2018, 02:30 PM   #7
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

I usually wind 10x before wearing and is still running for 2 days after taking the watch off. No issues there.

Only had problems with 44 ROO where it stopped just few hours after a full wind.
ezinhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 05:58 PM   #8
bongtris
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520 15400
We might habe the same issue

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?p=8186104

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
bongtris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 08:25 PM   #9
Sporkmaker
"TRF" Member

While I haven't let mine sit after manually winding it to check if it has a full power reserve, I did give it a 60-turn wind on the 9th and have worn it as usual since then - so far so good. It seems that the guy who started the other thread wasn't aware you had to wind an automatic watch at all.