The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 10 January 2018, 11:31 AM   #1
smokd
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, 5513 Sub
Minute and Second Hands Dislodged After Service on a 1675

Hello my fellow Rolex Fans,

I recently had my watch serviced by LAWW (movement and full case refinish) and was very impressed with the quality of their work. In fact, I even posted the after pictures of the watch on this forum a little while back.

Today, however, I woke up (I sleep with my watch on) to find the minute and second hands had come dislodged and were floating around inside the watch. Panicked that the floating hands would somehow find a way to scratch the dial, I urgently found a local watchmaker here in NYC to safely remove the floating minute and second hands.

I’m wondering what could have caused this. I should add that about a week ago the crown had unscrewed itself while I was wearing the watch. I’m fairly certain that there was no friction applied to the crown that could cause it to unscrew so I chalked it up to a freak occurrence. I’m now wondering if the two events are related and there is something going on inside the movement. One other thing I noticed was that when setting the time, the crown action was somewhat finicky. Meaning, I would have trouble pushing the crown back in after I had set the time. Once again, I chalked it up to being an older watch (although I’ve never experienced that with my 5513).

I know this wonderful community is full of information but I couldn’t find any posts of a situation as unique as this and I’m wondering if anybody has any insight as to what the issue could be.

In any case, thanks for reading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMT Master Hands Out.jpg (230.1 KB, 342 views)
smokd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 11:39 AM   #2
Autavian
"TRF" Member

This is not toooooo unusual. how long ago was it since you got the watch back?

I see that your in NYC (crazy cold weather there lately), increased pressure change (from LA to NYC) can be a main factor and would cause the hands to pop off, which I have seen before after shipping or recieiving a watch from air plane cabin pressure.

Have your watchmaker align the hands and secure them on to the cannon pinion. You should be ok after that and is a relatively quick fix. But if it happen again, contact LAWW, I am sure they will resolve the issue. I would even contact them now and let them know , so that if you are charged from the watch maker (which you might be) re-securing and aligning the hands and charges you, they may reimburse the cost. Best of luck, but don't freak out, all will be well :)

Email:Autaviano@gmail.com
Autavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 11:39 AM   #3
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
I would suggest calling Edvi at LAWW, explain everything to him and send it back. He should rectify any issue promptly. The issue with the stem/crown would trouble me greater than the hands. Post the results, because the forum provides many recommendations their way.

Old 10 January 2018, 11:42 AM   #4
smokd
"TRF" Member

I've already contacted Edvi and will be shipping the watch to them promptly. But I'm just wondering what could have caused this. It's just super disconcerting, especially right after a service. I got the watch back at the end of September.
Old 10 January 2018, 12:16 PM   #5
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

I have seen sometimes if two hands contact eachother, it may dislodge one or the other or both. Both is rare but it can happen.

Potentially the reinstalling of the seconds and minute hand weren't 100% and they hit eachother.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 01:29 PM   #6
smokd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
I have seen sometimes if two hands contact eachother, it may dislodge one or the other or both. Both is rare but it can happen.

Potentially the reinstalling of the seconds and minute hand weren't 100% and they hit eachother.

I wonder if that’s what could have happened. Would be a freak occurrence. I still wonder if there’s any correlation with the crown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 February 2018, 06:28 AM   #7
smokd
"TRF" Member

Hey guys — felt like I owed the community an update.

Contacted Edvi at LAWW, sent the watch over and they had everything fixed within a week. Edvi mentioned that it must’ve occurred after an inadvertent impact. In any case, got the watch back and all is well.

LAWW was quick to accommodate and I’m still happy to recommend them to anybody seeking quality service.

Old 1 February 2018, 06:51 AM   #8
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

great guys over there

------
Instagram: @mattedialdoc
mattedialdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 04:14 PM   #9
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokd View Post
Edvi mentioned that it must’ve occurred after an inadvertent impact.
An impact hard enough to dislodge the hands? I’d be worried about what else may go wrong with the watch
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 11:02 AM   #10
smokd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
An impact hard enough to dislodge the hands? I’d be worried about what else may go wrong with the watch

I know it seems wild. I learned that the hands are actually only a friction fit so an impact could potentially cause them to dislodge.