The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 January 2018, 08:03 AM   #1
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Need advice on a possible trade

I have been offered to trade my 2017 26401.002 RG44 novelty black subdials +8K for a 26331.OR blue dial full bracelet that can be found below.

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wa....OO.1220OR.01/

I've been longing for a RO PM bracelet but I am not sure if trading my piece would be the best move. It is something that is obtainable but I feel that I may be blinded by the strong desire I currently have for the bracelet. Anybody can chime in and either talk me in or out of this madness?

Honest thought are appreciated. Thanks.
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 08:33 AM   #2
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

To be honest, I have that model on the leather strap and it just looks so much better that way. I get that you want a PM bracelet, but there are so many that look better than that model.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 08:38 AM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Tough one, I get the allure of the RO bracelet but I am sticking with my ROO as I prefer all its other elements.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 09:06 AM   #4
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
To be honest, I have that model on the leather strap and it just looks so much better that way. I get that you want a PM bracelet, but there are so many that look better than that model.
What other models are you referring to?
Old 14 January 2018, 09:09 AM   #5
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Tough one, I get the allure of the RO bracelet but I am sticking with my ROO as I prefer all its other elements.
I agree on certain 44 elements that are irreplaceable like the pushers and the (not limited to 44) CE bezel.
Old 14 January 2018, 09:12 AM   #6
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Forgot to mention, my RG44 is mint condition and the 26331 and piece in question are both brand new with stickers.

Also for trade is my RG44 for the ROO RG42 mustard dial with full bracelet for same deal. However, I think right now the RO bracelet is fully on my mind. Although MSRP is much higher on the ROO 42, I think I may prefer the ROC to it.
Old 14 January 2018, 09:32 AM   #7
s14roller
"TRF" Member

For bracelet, definitely go for a RO. My personal taste, but on a ROO I've only liked it on strap. 44RG or all RG ROC, tough one...
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 09:44 AM   #8
Spencer
"TRF" Member

Keep the ROO, buy the RO when you can afford/makes sense.

Resident Audemars Piguet Fanatic
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 09:48 AM   #9
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
Keep the ROO, buy the RO when you can afford/makes sense.
That does seem to be a rational choice. A big reason that I am contemplating this trade is that an ROC seems more suitable x years down the line to me. I'm not saying that it is not suitable after a certain age but rather my preference after those years are more than likely to sway and by then value may drop substantially if i decide to sell or trade later.

PS. there is nothing that I don't like about my RG44 right now
Old 14 January 2018, 09:50 AM   #10
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

The AP skeleton is also an option at $55K brand new with a 3 month wait but I would have lose the RG essence which I'm not sure if I'm ready or not for that. As it is a rare piece and the movement is beautiful, it is also something I am entertaining.

My mind is in a jumble right now
Old 14 January 2018, 09:55 AM   #11
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Take your time!
Old 14 January 2018, 10:19 AM   #12
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Take your time!
Can't argue with that
Old 14 January 2018, 10:27 AM   #13
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
The RG Skeleton will be a better trade. Trading a gold ROO for a gold ROC sounds like a lateral flip, esp you still have to top up $$$.
Old 14 January 2018, 10:32 AM   #14
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Get the skeleton for sure. With all gold I’d prefer the mustard dial 42 or the white or black dial Chronos. It’s not that they’re necessarily better in a vacuum, it’s just that the leather works so much better to pop the blue
Old 14 January 2018, 10:50 AM   #15
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
Get the skeleton for sure. With all gold I’d prefer the mustard dial 42 or the white or black dial Chronos. It’s not that they’re necessarily better in a vacuum, it’s just that the leather works so much better to pop the blue
Well the plus side if I make the trade for the ROC, I will be able to add the leather without it being a pain later on. The mustard 42 is an option as well. On the secondary market, I see both the ROC and mustard 42 on bracelets for similar prices about a $5K USD difference
Old 14 January 2018, 10:51 AM   #16
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
The RG Skeleton will be a better trade. Trading a gold ROO for a gold ROC sounds like a lateral flip, esp you still have to top up $$$.
The RG skeleton is slightly out of my budget at the moment so it would have to be the SS which is available to me with a couple months wait. Not sure with the $5-8K premium if it is worth it or not.
Old 14 January 2018, 11:14 AM   #17
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

ha, I've been coveting the previous gen 26320 in yellow gold full bracelet non-panda blue dial.

ur statement about the ROC being more suitable down the line is certainly applicable in my case.
i recently purged my collection of all 'big' watches... basically anything 42mm or greater. ROO 42 was one of them, full bracelet.

but can't lie, i do miss it.
it had long been my grail, and once i finally got it i let it go well within a year's time.

the ROC was always the fair compromise.
plus I've been hit by the gold bug recently.
whilst the RO is fantastic, i do prefer the more classic yellow.
and in full bracelet with that amazing blue dial, the combo is unbeatable, imo.

i think if you've been contemplating it this much already, it means that u need to be convinced NOT to go thru with it.
to which i say GO FOR IT!

the ROC in full bracelet can go sporty, casual, or full formal suit. plus u can later swap in gator or rubber straps.

the 44 (and even the 42 RO full bracelet u have option for) simply does not have that level of flexibility.
don't get me wrong, the ROO is amazing.
but even in my 42 SS full bracelet, as much as i wanted to pull it off in full suit/tie, it just wasn't appropriate matchup.

the versatility of the ROC is impeccable.
and you'll still have the heft of knowing it's on the wrist.
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 11:14 AM   #18
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

The ss openwork 5k over retail is a steal. Good point of course on swapping straps. I’d say go for it then.
Old 14 January 2018, 12:21 PM   #19
Amiroo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak Chrono
Bro! Life is way too short to get advice on a forum from strangers. Get what you love and enjoy it. What do you love??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex GMT-Master II BLNR 116710
Amiroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 01:31 PM   #20
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
The ROC on gold bracelet is awesome. I’d do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 07:16 PM   #21
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupbklyn View Post
ha, I've been coveting the previous gen 26320 in yellow gold full bracelet non-panda blue dial.

ur statement about the ROC being more suitable down the line is certainly applicable in my case.
i recently purged my collection of all 'big' watches... basically anything 42mm or greater. ROO 42 was one of them, full bracelet.

but can't lie, i do miss it.
it had long been my grail, and once i finally got it i let it go well within a year's time.

the ROC was always the fair compromise.
plus I've been hit by the gold bug recently.
whilst the RO is fantastic, i do prefer the more classic yellow.
and in full bracelet with that amazing blue dial, the combo is unbeatable, imo.

i think if you've been contemplating it this much already, it means that u need to be convinced NOT to go thru with it.
to which i say GO FOR IT!

the ROC in full bracelet can go sporty, casual, or full formal suit. plus u can later swap in gator or rubber straps.

the 44 (and even the 42 RO full bracelet u have option for) simply does not have that level of flexibility.
don't get me wrong, the ROO is amazing.
but even in my 42 SS full bracelet, as much as i wanted to pull it off in full suit/tie, it just wasn't appropriate matchup.

the versatility of the ROC is impeccable.
and you'll still have the heft of knowing it's on the wrist.
Very well put about the versatility issue. I think this is a big reason for the contemplation. With the ROO, it is predominantly more sporty and I can wear it dressed up, but it wouldn't look as good to me as with a more suitable watch. A few of my concerns are the ease of scratching it, if value will drop a lot quicker on the RG ROC, and whether I am going to regret it or not. I think ultimately it is a great addition for someone with a collection of watches but as someone with a very small collection of watches, I often find myself peeking over at full bracelet PM's along with an "all round occasion" watch
Old 14 January 2018, 07:21 PM   #22
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFLARE View Post
Forgot to mention, my RG44 is mint condition and the 26331 and piece in question are both brand new with stickers.

Also for trade is my RG44 for the ROO RG42 mustard dial with full bracelet for same deal. However, I think right now the RO bracelet is fully on my mind. Although MSRP is much higher on the ROO 42, I think I may prefer the ROC to it.
RO bracelet > ROO bracelet no question. Forget the mustard. As to the original deal, i would probably do it if i really wanted a bracelet.

Think of it this way. If you sold your RG 44 you would lose more than 8k probably and then have to buy the RG ROC and lose even more. Its a good trade considering the ROC retails for way more (12k USD more in the UK). Thats a 4k in your favor with zero depreciation on your watch.

If it was me id flip it for a Patek 5990
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 07:49 PM   #23
Xerxes77
Banned

Quote:
The AP skeleton is also an option at $55K brand new with a 3 month wait but I would have lose the RG essence which I'm not sure if I'm ready or not for that. As it is a rare piece and the movement is beautiful, it is also something I am entertaining.

My mind is in a jumble right now
If you like AP PM then my advice is to buy a PM piece.
Even skeleton it’s very rare you would miss your PM watch and sooner or later you will buy again PM!
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 08:38 PM   #24
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiroo View Post
Bro! Life is way too short to get advice on a forum from strangers. Get what you love and enjoy it. What do you love??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I completely agree with you! Just needed to make sure I don't make some irrational decision before consulting with the experts. There are too many angles on this forum to miss out on.

I have no complaints about my RG44 but I can't help but feel like I am missing out on one of the best bracelets in the industry. I only got to see a RG bracelet the first time in person after getting my RG44 and it had a strong attraction. I do prefer much of the 44 attractions, but it almost feels like I need to fill a void.
Old 14 January 2018, 08:41 PM   #25
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I completely agree with you! Just needed to make sure I don't make some irrational decision before consulting with the experts. There are too many angles on this forum to miss out on.

I have no complaints about my RG44 but I can't help but feel like I am missing out on one of the best bracelets in the industry. I only got to see a RG bracelet the first time in person after getting my RG44 and it had a strong attraction. I do prefer much of the 44 attractions, but it almost feels like I need to fill a void.
maybe consider adding a SS RO on a bracelet. 15400 or preferably 15202. Since you like the 44, the 15400 size might be the best option for you and its much more cost effective than the 202. One PM and one SS, plus the RO is at its best in SS anyway.
Old 14 January 2018, 08:43 PM   #26
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
RO bracelet > ROO bracelet no question. Forget the mustard. As to the original deal, i would probably do it if i really wanted a bracelet.

Think of it this way. If you sold your RG 44 you would lose more than 8k probably and then have to buy the RG ROC and lose even more. Its a good trade considering the ROC retails for way more (12k USD more in the UK). Thats a 4k in your favor with zero depreciation on your watch.

If it was me id flip it for a Patek 5990
I tried tossing the bait for a PP already. Must be an AP watch as connections lay within.
Old 14 January 2018, 08:44 PM   #27
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes77 View Post
If you like AP PM then my advice is to buy a PM piece.
Even skeleton it’s very rare you would miss your PM watch and sooner or later you will buy again PM!
My thoughts too. I think scratching the PM itch now may be important for my future later. Either that or it is going to ruin my tastebuds later
Old 14 January 2018, 08:46 PM   #28
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
maybe consider adding a SS RO on a bracelet. 15400 or preferably 15202. Since you like the 44, the 15400 might be the best option for you and its much more cost effective than the 202.
I had considered this too. I originally had funds set aside for the PP model that I am chasing in case AD calls out of no where so I'm not sure if I want to allocate those to the 15400. I thought I would be able to take advantage of this situation and kill the PM and bracelet bird with one stone(or watch, in this case).
Old 14 January 2018, 09:04 PM   #29
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
maybe consider adding a SS RO on a bracelet. 15400 or preferably 15202. Since you like the 44, the 15400 size might be the best option for you and its much more cost effective than the 202. One PM and one SS, plus the RO is at its best in SS anyway.
Does either the RG44 or ROC RG blue dial depreciate quicker than the other all else constant? Data seems to be meek with the blue dial. I cant be sure if I would regret this trade or not but the value does seem to make it a good deal
Old 14 January 2018, 09:07 PM   #30
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Does either the RG44 or ROC RG blue dial depreciate quicker than the other all else constant? Data seems to be meek with the blue dial. I cant be sure if I would regret this trade or not but the value does seem to make it a good deal
My guess is the ROO will. I know I took a big hit selling mine (haven't flipped a ROC so no first hand knowledge). The ROC is full PM though and a higher RRP, but i still think the appeal of a smaller RO vs a larger ROO will help long term.