The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 January 2018, 07:10 PM   #31
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
There’s not enough information in your question really OP. It depends on the individual circumstances I guess. Can you tell us the scenario?
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 07:19 PM   #32
lovetherolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
My first instinct response is “so mad and how dare they sell it” but I would have to find out the reason!
Did they need money?
Was my taste not what they liked and wanted some other watch that suits their taste (which technically would still be my money

Other than these two reasons I would be pretty mad!
Agreed, if someone needed the money it's hard to fault them there. If it was a matter of choice, it would have been very good of them to have a conversation about it beforehand.

Was there any conversation?
lovetherolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 07:42 PM   #33
Torque Time
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ 1601
[QUOTE=tamiya;8185933]Once it's given, theirs to do what they wish

Agree! If you have the resources to gift a Rolex, then be grateful you have the means. Share your blessings and the walk away.

A true gift is given without strings...
Torque Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 08:41 PM   #34
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
I'd say you were smart to start out with a Rolex instead of an engagement ring. Lesson learned.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 09:09 PM   #35
SamP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680/8 & '88 16528
The idiom “It’s the thought that counts”, is truely owesome.
One should always give an oppropriate gift. Naturally a WIS might want to give a watch to a loved one. However, is the loved one into watches?
Are they working three jobs just to keep a roof over their heads? If so, a watch would be a thoughtless gift. The money equivalent would be more appropriate.
If one gives a watch to another party, it’s because they want to gift a watch; not because they want the other party to have and keep a watch.
So in essence if a watch is gifted to someone, but they then sell it, the giver should not feel bad that the watch was sold. Perhaps they should feel bad that they had not chosen an appropriate gift that the receiver would keep and treasure!
Just as most of the responses opine, once given - it’s done. Wether they keep or sell it gift, the giver can still be happy in their altruistic nature.
Regards
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 09:17 PM   #36
mitadoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126300
You can only read some suggestions here. The truth is out there. Go and ask the person who sold it.
Rgds
mitadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 09:26 PM   #37
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I think that if you give a gift to someone then it is there's to do with as they want. Most people and responses here believe they have some type of ownership over a gift or at least have some right to know what the person is doing with the gift. In the spirt of giving I believe you should give and remove all strings. Easier said than done for most.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 09:38 PM   #38
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba View Post
First Hand Experience here

in 1993 when I was single I purchased a 16610 , I get married and come home in May 1995 to find my watch has changed into a bicolour 16613 , my new wife had px my 16610 , I sneaked into town and bought the SS model back , Around 2000 I traded my 16613 for a new 16520 zenith daytona I was thrilled after waiting years to obtain one now my Wife was furious beyond words yikes big trouble .

So she could take and trade my SS for a Bi colour , but five years later I traded the 16613 for a 16520 and all hell brakes loose .

I no longer have the 16613 or the 16520 possibly one of my biggest regrets todate.

But I still have my 16610 and it will be 25 yrs in March

I think my experience maybe slightly different to the OP but its still relevant people buying and selling for others
scooba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 10:16 PM   #39
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
I would not be pleased if it was someone dear/close....on the other hand, if they approached me first and discussed why, I'd be just fine.
This

If my wife or someone close has taken the time and effort to chose a gift for me and is excited to give the gift then the that is worth way more to me than the monetary value attaching, and even if it’s something I would not have chosen for myself, that non monetary value would make me never want to sell or exchange it. Not only would I not want to sell it but I consider that it would be extremely disrespectful to do so.

However if the gift was given with a conversation of “I bought this but I’m not at at all sure so please do exchange it for what you’d have chosen” that may be different.

Or as happened the other day when my wife said “I think you should sell that as you don’t need/use it anymore” then that is of course a different matter.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 11:21 PM   #40
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba View Post
First Hand Experience here

in 1993 when I was single I purchased a 16610 , I get married and come home in May 1995 to find my watch has changed into a bicolour 16613 , my new wife had px my 16610 , I sneaked into town and bought the SS model back , Around 2000 I traded my 16613 for a new 16520 zenith daytona I was thrilled after waiting years to obtain one now my Wife was furious beyond words yikes big trouble .

So she could take and trade my SS for a Bi colour , but five years later I traded the 16613 for a 16520 and all hell brakes loose .

I no longer have the 16613 or the 16520 possibly one of my biggest regrets todate.

But I still have my 16610 and it will be 25 yrs in March
So have you traded the wife yet?

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 11:24 PM   #41
Henry F.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega AT 150
Can you give some more background story?
Henry F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 11:25 PM   #42
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
Just out of curiosity. (1) Was the recipient a male or female? (2) What was the nature and/or occasion of gift (e.g. birthday, Christmas, retirement, friendship, engagement etc.)? (3) Your 'connection' to the person receiving the gift watch? (4) And lastly, your perceived strength and/or deepness of that connection?

Maybe the answers (or a plausible explanation) can be found within these parameters.
As usual, BC's nailed it.
The Devil's in the details and inquiring minds want to know more.

If for example it was gifted to a former lover, and the relationship's since gone sour, then it wouldn't seem at all out of sorts.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 12:39 AM   #43
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I bought my wife a 26mm Rolex, she didn't care for it. Ended up selling it and let her pick a new one, 31mm RG DJ.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 12:43 AM   #44
MyMachV
"TRF" Member

To me, it doesn’t matter about the backstory or the circumstances. If I gave a gift to someone, It’s not about me at all. They can do whatever they’d like with it and no hard feelings here.
MyMachV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 12:49 AM   #45
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I would be very annoyed - but the specific circumstances could mitigate that
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 12:55 AM   #46
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I think it depends on many factors, such as if they know you are a WIS or not. If they don't then, like anything, it is fair play for them to sell and get something they really want, but if they know you are a WIS and therefore may have put some thought into it and bought them something you thought they would enjoy, then I think they should at least talk to you first. Sometimes opulent surprise gifts can be quite oppressive, and ofc can be used in passive/aggressive and manipulative ways, so many variables to consider.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 01:04 AM   #47
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egelber View Post
Hey all, not sure if the title is correct, but my meaning behind it is this. How would you feel if you bought a Rolex as a gift to someone, and they sold it?....
Which is one of the reasons I would never do that...outside of my immediate family.

Now, they can do whatever they want, but hopefully I'll be long gone by then.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 01:23 AM   #48
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I'd feel the same way I feel when asked a very general question with no background, details or follow-up...empty and confused.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 01:25 AM   #49
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Theirs to do as they please
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 02:26 AM   #50
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Did you buy it because they wanted it, or because you wanted them to have it?
pickettt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 03:00 AM   #51
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

My first Rolex (my dj) was a wedding gift from my in laws. I would never consider selling it, even if I need money I’ll sell my sub and gmt first.

Last year i bought a super jubilee for the watch and I felt slightly guilty wearing it because I felt like I altered the watch. I can’t imagine selling it.
Old 15 January 2018, 03:29 AM   #52
WhiskyVerb
Banned

Watch: 214270, Speedy Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egelber View Post
Hey all, not sure if the title is correct, but my meaning behind it is this. How would you feel if you bought a Rolex as a gift to someone, and they sold it?....
It sounds like you don't know what type of gift would be important to that person. It's almost as your message is "my money is a proxy for investing the time to know you better so I would know an appropriate gift."

Screw the Golden Rule - it's selfish and narcissistic.

Use the Platinum Rule: Do unto others as they prefer. Who says they want what I want? They might prefer a vacation to a Rolex.
WhiskyVerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 03:32 AM   #53
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Eh depends.
Old 15 January 2018, 03:37 AM   #54
gmstevenson
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, Rolex
Sounds like she is just not that into you.
gmstevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 03:41 AM   #55
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskyVerb View Post
Screw the Golden Rule - it's selfish and narcissistic.
An interesting perspective as I've always questioned 'The Golden Rule' myself. While it sounds OK in principle, "doing unto others as you would like for them to do unto you" is unsound in many instances.

For example. Just because you enjoy eating liver, do you serve it to dinner guests who despise it? Or if you happen to be a masochist, do you take it out on others in a sadistic manner?

In many ways, The Golden Rule can screw-up the universe (or mankind in general).
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 03:52 AM   #56
larsr
"TRF" Member

I would conclude I totally misread the recipients needs/tastes; and, chalk it up to "oh well". And, I would probably be muttering for a few weeks "damn, I could've saved a lot of money".
larsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 03:56 AM   #57
lahainabry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexNorth View Post
That's why you don't buy one for your kids. 99.9% of youngsters these days could care less about the brand, much less even owning a watch.
All 3 of my daughters have been given a Rolex after they graduated college.
None of the watches have been sold.
lahainabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 04:01 AM   #58
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watching
Remember when Homer Simpson bought his wife Marge a bowling ball for Christmas? It had his name engraved on it. I wonder if she sold it...

In all seriousness, though, and having learned the hard way, if you wanted any kind of control after the gift was given, then it wasn't really a gift.
Cloudchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 04:01 AM   #59
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
He/She didn't deserve it.
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 04:07 AM   #60
Xerxes77
Banned

I feel bad if this happened to me!
I think in the future you can get a Fossil preset!!
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote