The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 January 2018, 05:02 AM   #1
photoguy
"TRF" Member

New guy with a service question

New guy here. I've been reading the forum for a little while and slowly coming up to speed on a few things not the least of which is the jargon! I think I've figured out some, the others will come in time.

Anyway, I bought myself a Submariner in 1988 and save for a few exceptions, it hasn't been off my wrist for more than a couple of days since purchasing.

Last service was 1999, and the receipt shows a cost from the Rolex Service Center of $350. I wish that were still the case. I'm working toward sending it off again as it is losing some time and I assume that the lubricants could stand a refreshing.

My questions if anyone cares to answer...

The bezel on the watch is scratched in the vicinity of the pearl resulting in the top area of the triangle surrounding the pearl has lost it's silver paint. I'm considering replacing the bezel and wonder if anyone might know the cost involved and additionally if the newer ceramic bezel I've been reading about is an option for the replacement on an older watch? (less prone to scratching I assume?)

Is there any cost advantage to sending it directly to the Rolex service center as opposed to dropping it off at my AD (presuming that my interpretation of authorized dealer is correct...ha!). I would send to the NYC facility if it matters at all.

Anyway, nice to meet you all and appreciative of any input you may have.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 06:03 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
You don't need a new bezel, only a new insert. Usually, the cost at service would be ~50 bucks and the cost of a basic service is up to around 600.

Some AD's will send it in for you, others are sketchy and do the work in-house or charge you for shipping. Best to check with them.

The disadvantage of an AD is that the RSC will only contact whoever sends it in. If that is not you, you are at the mercy of others decisions.
Old 15 January 2018, 06:26 AM   #3
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
You cannot exchange for a cerachrom insert unfortunately.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 06:32 AM   #4
photoguy
"TRF" Member

^ Many thanks for the quick reply! So it would seem then that the part to be replaced is simply the black numbered insert. Obviously lots to earn here! That's good news as one of the reasons for having held off on the servicing was the cost, and knowing that the insert is replaceable is very helpful.

The AD that last handled the service simply acted as a middle man. When the watch was returned it was in a Rolex Service Center box with a receipt from Rolex. The store is a long established jewelry store in the area and well respected i.e. trustworthy in that regard. But regardless, maybe I'll try to get in touch with the service center directly to see what they offer for advice in sending it in.
Old 15 January 2018, 06:35 AM   #5
Bigblu10
Banned

Consider sending the watch to RSC yourself. Most here prefer Dallas over NYC due to some horror stories of shoddy workmanship at NYC. The AD will likely send to RSC but they will also most certainly tack on a gratuity for their service and you will be at their mercy. As alternative to RSC, also consider an independent CW21 like Rik at Time Care Inc. in Florida. With him, you will have constant communication by phone or email concerning the servicing of your watch and parts replacement options. Many here are happy with his work. Good Luck!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 12:07 PM   #6
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Sending it in is easy (except for the “no clear tape” rule).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 12:21 PM   #7
2th_doc
"TRF" Member

New guy with a service question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
The disadvantage of an AD is that the RSC will only contact whoever sends it in. If that is not you, you are at the mercy of others decisions.

When I dropped my 16710 off at my local AD it was sent to RSC in Lititz, PA. I called directly to Lititz 2 or 3 times. Each time I gave them the serial number so they could easily identify my watch. They then asked me what AD sent it in. Once I gave them the correct answer they were very helpful and answered my questions. I actually knew my watch was ready before my salesperson that I deal with at the AD.

So true RSC wont contact you directly. But you definitely can contact them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2th_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 02:00 PM   #8
1WatchDawg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610T Sub Date
From what I understand all AD work is sent to Lititz.PA. The cost of service is now $700.00 plus it will probably require a new crown and tube.
1WatchDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 02:03 PM   #9
photoguy
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the added input. I'll be in touch with the service center after the holiday to find out the procedure. That'll give me an opportunity to see what the "clear tape rule'' is ;)

The first link on the strap also has a small dent, I must have caught it on something but don't recall. I expect that they can address this too. This will only be the second time in the 30 years that I've owned it that it has gone in for service. I think I'd prefer that it go to Rolex in place of an independent shop. I'm sure that they'd do a fine job for probably less cost, but I obviously don't do this too often so I might as well go straight to the source.
Old 15 January 2018, 04:18 PM   #10
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WatchDawg View Post
From what I understand all AD work is sent to Lititz.PA. The cost of service is now $700.00 plus it will probably require a new crown and tube.
Hi Frank :-)

I am not very familiar with the details of a service, so I am wondering why you say “it will probably require a new crown and tube.”

Why?

Thanks in advance
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 09:05 PM   #11
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Welcome! I would prefer sending it to the RSC.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 04:09 AM   #12
photoguy
"TRF" Member

I appreciate the welcome..

I too am curious about the crown and tube, though truthfully I don't know the first thing about them, will update when I've learned more.

I've always assumed that there was some kind of financial incentive for the dealers to want to handle the transaction, but it would appear to be some kind of arrangement between Rolex and the dealers as my understand is the cost of service is the same whether it's sent directly or through an AD...but I'm only going what I've gathered in some on-line discussions.

It may be easy to send the watch in directly, but not so easy to find any instructions on the process on-line. I guess I will need to call Rolex directly for instructions.
Thanks again all-