The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 January 2018, 01:28 AM   #1
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Hawaii members- and how was your morning?

Breathing a huge sigh of relief.
Please, no political commentary or it's just going to be "IBTL".

Curious to hear any first hand accounts from folks in Hawaii.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile....ssile.amp.html.

God bless all of us that this was just operator error.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 01:45 AM   #2
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Lots of friends there and the Honolulu Police Department Chief Of Police Susan Ballard who has been quoted a lot in the news media sat next to me in the police academy 32 years ago. Nicely done with your handling of the situation Sue.

Had to be a come to Jesus moment for a lot of people.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 02:04 AM   #3
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Can't believe they let that happen. Sort of a cry wolf scenario as well which is unfortunate.
Old 16 January 2018, 02:13 AM   #4
BristolCavendish
Banned

According to the article: “Someone clicked the wrong thing on the computer,”

Following a thorough investigation, that particular individual should be fired.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 02:22 AM   #5
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
What a mess. At least some vacationers will have interesting stories to tell upon their return.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 02:26 AM   #6
MonBK
Banned

MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 02:28 AM   #7
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
Oh boy......

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 02:29 AM   #8
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

If you want my opinion, it wasn't user error. They were hacked.
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 02:30 AM   #9
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologyK View Post
If you want my opinion, it wasn't user error. They were hacked.
By the Russians or the democrats.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 02:32 AM   #10
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post

and thats how the next world war will start. Seriously it will.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 02:43 AM   #11
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
There's no excuse for the button comment and I'm quite surprised this person wasn't fired the hour afterwards.

But, I've been in a war zone, and I'd still take a false warning over no warning.

in 9 months there's gonna be a lot of kids born named after Hawaiian cocktails.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 02:51 AM   #12
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post

Apparently he's already receiving death threats and has been "reassigned".
Old 16 January 2018, 02:54 AM   #13
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
and thats how the next world war will start. Seriously it will.
Hope not, but this is a very scary and real scenario and still can't believe there wasn't a better failsafe in place to prevent this from happening.

When you make things idiot proof the world just gives you a better idiot.
Old 16 January 2018, 02:57 AM   #14
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
What a mess. At least some vacationers will have interesting stories to tell upon their return.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agree. Would love to hear any first hand accounts. Can't imagine what was going thru their minds for those 38 minutes.

For many I'm sure it was a second chance at life.
Old 16 January 2018, 03:02 AM   #15
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
Lots of friends there and the Honolulu Police Department Chief Of Police Susan Ballard who has been quoted a lot in the news media sat next to me in the police academy 32 years ago. Nicely done with your handling of the situation Sue.

Had to be a come to Jesus moment for a lot of people.
Must have been hell for these guys trying to maintain calm and stability within the community while dealing with their own families and emotions.

A lot of credit and respect to these guys.

Old 16 January 2018, 03:06 AM   #16
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
in 9 months there's gonna be a lot of kids born named after Hawaiian cocktails.
I don't know how you operate but zero chance I can perform under those circumstances
Old 16 January 2018, 03:12 AM   #17
littleolemoi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I don't know how you operate but zero chance I can perform under those circumstances
Dude don't under estimate yourself .......... knowing there's a few minutes left one would be surprised of how well one would " perform " and step up to the plate!!!

Not sure what other's would do in those last few moments but I guess it depends on who you're with and where you are?!

I'd probably be preggo if I was there this weekend within that short time haaaaa!!??

Thank God it was an error and like someone said earlier ........ it's really like having a 2nd chance in life after thinking that the end was near!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
littleolemoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 03:12 AM   #18
Hooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
At the end of the day Sh*t happens and people make mistakes! If it happened the was they reported it, it will ensure a fix to a problem that obviously was needed in the first place. If it's that easy to send such a signal then maybe they need to kaizen their procedure! Maybe a 2 person or a multiple step initiation as the have when launching nuclear ordinances!
Old 16 January 2018, 03:25 AM   #19
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
You'd think it would take more than 1 person to issue a warning like this. Maybe 1 person pushes a button, someone else pushes another one to confirm, and then a higher ranking person with a key issues the final confirmation before the warning goes out to the public.
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 03:27 AM   #20
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

We’re on the Big Island at Hilton Hawaiian Village and it was a little surreal. We walk a few miles in the morning and were heading down to the beach to walk over to the Marriott and we saw a bunch of people running up towards us obviously in a panic.

They said they got an alert on their phones and to get inside. My wife and I didn’t believe it was real and just continued on down the beach for a couple of reasons. One is that the tsunami sirens weren’t going off and the other is that it didn’t make sense anyway. And besides what were we supposed to do Duck and Cover. Fool us once....(back in the 50s)

There were a number of people we saw walking that didn’t seem all that concerned as well and about half an hour later we met some people who said it was a mistake.

There was a lot of chatter at the hotels and bars during the day but that’s expected but the next day in the Hawai’i papers we were surprised at how there was a panic in some areas. Apparently the sirens did go off in Honolulu which would have been unnerving.

The bottom line seemed to be that people with kids were more freaked out than people without (which is our case). The people without seemed more like “whatever”, walking on the beach in Hawaii is an ok way to go.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 03:42 AM   #21
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
My wife and I watch the Hawaii 5-0 series reboot faithfully. This event seemed like it was an episode from that series.

That we've come to this point where fantasy and reality are indistinguishable is ludicrous.

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 04:04 AM   #22
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Tip View Post
You'd think it would take more than 1 person to issue a warning like this. Maybe 1 person pushes a button, someone else pushes another one to confirm, and then a higher ranking person with a key issues the final confirmation before the warning goes out to the public.
With that many approvals, by the time the bureacracy determined it was OK to send the alert, we’d be on our third nuclear exchange already.

Maybe all it needs is a window to pop up and say “Are you certain it is the end of the world?”
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 04:14 AM   #23
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
With that many approvals, by the time the bureacracy determined it was OK to send the alert, we’d be on our third nuclear exchange already.

Maybe all it needs is a window to pop up and say “Are you certain it is the end of the world?”
Well hopefully Hawaii is just an aberration and they already have it worked out elsewhere. Actually I think Hawaii to a degree is due to other unique occuramces such tsunamis and such that they initiate these type of warnings locally. However one would think when it comes to incoming missiles they should fall under a federal system.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 04:21 AM   #24
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Well hopefully Hawaii is just an aberration and they already have it worked out elsewhere. Actually I think Hawaii to a degree is due to other unique occuramces such tsunamis and such that they initiate these type of warnings locally. However one would think when it comes to incoming missiles they should fall under a federal system.
Public service and first responders need to know quickly to implement plans, but I’m not sure what a nuclear alert sent to the general public actually accomplishes. There’s not enough time to do much more than duck and cover, and residential construction is far from safe in the face of a few hundred kt’s. The people not consumed in the fireball will know all they need to know when they see the flash.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 04:35 AM   #25
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Public service and first responders need to know quickly to implement plans, but I’m not sure what a nuclear alert sent to the general public actually accomplishes. There’s not enough time to do much more than duck and cover, and residential construction is far from safe in the face of a few hundred kt’s. The people not consumed in the fireball will know all they need to know when they see the flash.
Yeah, I get that. In fact those were my thoughts initially. It’s not like hugging a tub is going to save you.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 06:02 AM   #26
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleolemoi View Post
Dude don't under estimate yourself .......... knowing there's a few minutes left one would be surprised of how well one would " perform " and step up to the plate!!!

Not sure what other's would do in those last few moments but I guess it depends on who you're with and where you are?!

I'd probably be preggo if I was there this weekend within that short time haaaaa!!??

Thank God it was an error and like someone said earlier ........ it's really like having a 2nd chance in life after thinking that the end was near!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I wonder if anyone cheated on their spouses? It’s like an episode of curb your enthusiasm.

“But there was an alert!”
Old 16 January 2018, 06:14 AM   #27
The Joker
"TRF" Member

The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 07:13 AM   #28
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Oh man, that had to be so scary! Would be nice to hear some more of the experiences from folks that were there when this happened.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 08:52 AM   #29
Canefan1
Banned

Not enough time when the real deal happens even on the entire mainland IMO. Its all about shooting whatever’s shot at us down nd having faith that our shits smarter than theirs. You might be able to get a few calls in to Loved ones but that’s about it.
Canefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 03:07 PM   #30
chieftd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sub, YM16623
I woke up to my cell phone going crazy. I read the message and the part that said "This is not a Drill" I jumped put of bed and screamed at the wife "that crazy little f$%&er launched a missile at us." Then it was call the kids and talk to them and tell them to stay where they were and seek shelter. Then the wife and I just sat together and waited. After 15 minutes I knew nothing was going to happen and it was just a matter of time for the follow on messages. They came in a flurry over the next 30 minutes. Truly, I was not scared there just wasn't time to contemplate anything, we just tried to prepare where we would sit in the house and wait. Helpless feeling of sorts. Local news says the guy that made the error has been reassigned during the investigation. He will probably get promoted. :)
chieftd is offline   Reply With Quote