The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 January 2018, 01:49 AM   #1
William.L.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 & 16013
PVC/DLC coating recommendations?

I have a friend who's looking to have a 116710 done in all matte black. Watch head and bracelet. I'm out of the loop on having watches coated, and done a few google searches and haven't come up with anything solid. Any recommendations and or pictures of finished products?

I'd like to find a company with a long history and strong reputation, not a fly by night new start, as I think I'm gonna have this done for him for his birthday.

With time as a consideration, what's the average turn around time on something like this? Thanks William.
Tudor GMT
Serti GMT
William.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 04:01 AM   #2
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Think you are on the wrong site, as here any modifications will be death by a thousand cuts.
Old 16 January 2018, 04:07 AM   #3
William.L.
"TRF" Member

They need to bring that back btw.

There are plenty of members here who have modified Rolexes. I look at it like this, if you don't like it, don't do it to yours, but that's what he wants.

It's not like its a limited edition watch or anything. Its a modern gmt that's on its 2nd owner, and didn't come with box or papers. To him its a watch, and that's all. He just happens to want it to be matte black.
Tudor GMT
Serti GMT
Old 16 January 2018, 05:06 AM   #4
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by William.L. View Post
They need to bring that back btw.

There are plenty of members here who have modified Rolexes. I look at it like this, if you don't like it, don't do it to yours, but that's what he wants.

It's not like its a limited edition watch or anything. Its a modern gmt that's on its 2nd owner, and didn't come with box or papers. To him its a watch, and that's all. He just happens to want it to be matte black.
I agree, just don't think there will be a lot of love here.
Old 16 January 2018, 05:08 AM   #5
mangoseed
Banned

Someone with that level of disrespect probably shouldn't own the watch in the first place. Not to mention the destruction of any possible retail value.
mangoseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 05:50 AM   #6
William.L.
"TRF" Member

lol level of disrespect to what? To an image you have in your head of how things should be? Respectfully, he bought it with his own money so I'm pretty sure he can do with it what he wants.

See the thing was I asked for a recommendation on a company to do it. Not for your opinion on how something should be, and I'd ask that for responses relevant to the question I asked. If anyone could recommend a company to do it. If it's not your thing, thats fine... its not mine either. He's active duty and uses the watch when deployed. I'm just looking for a recommendation.
Tudor GMT
Serti GMT
Old 16 January 2018, 06:01 AM   #7
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoseed View Post
Someone with that level of disrespect probably shouldn't own the watch in the first place. Not to mention the destruction of any possible retail value.
I think any disrespect is coming from you. All we have here is a long time member asking a question trying to help a friend.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 06:17 AM   #8
mangoseed
Banned

Quote:
lol level of disrespect to what? To an image you have in your head of how things should be? Respectfully, he bought it with his own money so I'm pretty sure he can do with it what he wants.

See the thing was I asked for a recommendation on a company to do it. Not for your opinion on how something should be, and I'd ask that for responses relevant to the question I asked. If anyone could recommend a company to do it. If it's not your thing, thats fine... its not mine either. He's active duty and uses the watch when deployed. I'm just looking for a recommendation.
Disrespect in the same way as altering a timeless painting. There are many ceramic case watches from decent manufacturers such as IWC, I suggest he look at them, ceramic is a lot more durable than PVC anyway, probably a lot better if he is intending to wear the watch in tough situations.
Old 16 January 2018, 06:18 AM   #9
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
What???

Thats crazy.

Personally, I love the idea.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 06:20 AM   #10
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Disrespect in the same way as altering a timeless painting. There are many ceramic case watches from decent manufacturers such as IWC, I suggest he look at them, ceramic is a lot more durable than PVC anyway, probably a lot better if he is intending to wear the watch in tough situations.
comparing a timeless one of a kind work on art to a mass produced mechanical device is like comparing monkeys to Toyotas.

Old 16 January 2018, 07:26 AM   #11
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:
Timeless painting? It’s a Rolex! A nice but mass-produced watch brand that cannot be compared to a ‘timeless painting.’

You make the Rolex in question seem like it is a Vacheron Constantin Ref. 57260, when most Rolexes are just rugged tool watch that just happen to look good. They are not timeless paintings, and an owner doing what he/she wants with his/her property is not disrespect.
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 07:39 AM   #12
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Jack at IWW has always came up as the top dog in this field.

http://internationalwatchworks.com
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 07:46 AM   #13
William.L.
"TRF" Member

Quote:

There is nothing timeless about a modern ceramic rolex. He bought the watch with no warranty card, no box, with the sole purpose of wearing it when deployed.... last time I forgot these were tool watches.

While I respect your opinion, you've done nothing to help further this thread, or help me achieve my goal for coating a watch for a very close friend of mine, who's going to use the watch as a tool to help achieve his goal/job when he's in other parts of the world. He doesn't want PCL on his watch when he's in that area.

Unless you have a recommendation, I'm not interested in anything else you have to say.
Tudor GMT
Serti GMT
Old 16 January 2018, 07:51 AM   #14
William.L.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Jack at IWW has always came up as the top dog in this field.

http://internationalwatchworks.com
Great thank you.
Tudor GMT
Serti GMT
Old 16 January 2018, 07:55 AM   #15
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Great thank you.
Search on here I’m sure you’ll find some of his work.

Look through the modified Rolex thread here

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ghlight=Custom
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 07:58 AM   #16
mangoseed
Banned

Quote:
There is nothing timeless about a modern ceramic rolex. He bought the watch with no warranty card, no box, with the sole purpose of wearing it when deployed.... last time I forgot these were tool watches.

While I respect your opinion, you've done nothing to help further this thread, or help me achieve my goal for coating a watch for a very close friend of mine, who's going to use the watch as a tool to help achieve his goal/job when he's in other parts of the world. He doesn't want PCL on his watch when he's in that area.

Unless you have a recommendation, I'm not interested in anything else you have to say.
If he isn't going to use his watch in that area then why on Earth did you mention him being in active duty?
Old 16 January 2018, 08:01 AM   #17
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
comparing a timeless one of a kind work on art to a mass produced mechanical device is like comparing monkeys to Toyotas.
I LITERALLY laughed out loud. My wife asked me what the heck i was laughing at. good one Seth
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 08:11 AM   #18
William.L.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If he isn't going to use his watch in that area then why on Earth did you mention him being in active duty?
I’ll spell it out for you slowly so you understand. He wants the watch matte black so it’s non reflective so he doesn’t get shot at wearing it or to give away his position . He’s wore it on a Nato strap on his last deployment, and took it off half the time cause he didn’t like how heavy the watch head was and was concerned about the spring bars and keeping it secure vs how comfortable it felt with the bracelet vs the nato.

Again do you have anything else to add to help?
Tudor GMT
Serti GMT
Old 16 January 2018, 08:21 AM   #19
mangoseed
Banned

Quote:
I’ll spell it out for you slowly so you understand. He wants the watch matte black so it’s non reflective so he doesn’t get shot at wearing it or to give away his position . He’s wore it on a Nato strap on his last deployment, and took it off half the time cause he didn’t like how heavy the watch head was and was concerned about the spring bars and keeping it secure vs how comfortable it felt with the bracelet vs the nato.

Again do you have anything else to add to help?
If he wants the watch to be non-reflective then he should also find someone to apply anti-reflective coating to the sapphire. Also, spring bars will always be a concern whilst keeping the watch on a bracelet. But you seem to contradict on whether he intend to wear the watch while on duty or not.
Old 16 January 2018, 08:42 AM   #20
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
Google Blaken
They produce some incredible finishes. I've never had anything done but I have spoken with their rep in Sydney. They appear to be very professional and like I said, the pieces they produce look amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 09:05 AM   #21
farscott
"TRF" Member

Try IonBond at http://www.ionbond.com/coating-services/decorative/

I have used the finish, though not on watches, and it is quite nice. The watch will need to be disassembled and the components that need to be finished are the only ones that should be shipped.
farscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 09:10 AM   #22
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
I LITERALLY laughed out loud. My wife asked me what the heck i was laughing at. good one Seth

Glad I could make you laugh. That always makes my day.

Old 16 January 2018, 09:20 AM   #23
erhein
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
This is very true. I blacked out the grill on my Toyota and I blacked out the teeth on my pet monkey. Now I have trouble telling them apart.
erhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 09:40 AM   #24
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Quote:
If he wants the watch to be non-reflective then he should also find someone to apply anti-reflective coating to the sapphire. Also, spring bars will always be a concern whilst keeping the watch on a bracelet. But you seem to contradict on whether he intend to wear the watch while on duty or not.
OP never once contradicted himself about whether his friend was going to wear the watch while on duty...he clearly states it several times.

To the op, cool idea, I’ve seen them before. Tell your buddy thanks and to stay safe.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 09:43 AM   #25
Nunez. Jacob
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by william.l. View Post
i have a friend who's looking to have a 116710 done in all matte black. Watch head and bracelet. I'm out of the loop on having watches coated, and done a few google searches and haven't come up with anything solid. Any recommendations and or pictures of finished products?

I'd like to find a company with a long history and strong reputation, not a fly by night new start, as i think i'm gonna have this done for him for his birthday.

With time as a consideration, what's the average turn around time on something like this? Thanks william.
bamford
Nunez. Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 10:09 AM   #26
tamiya
"TRF" Member

I hear a bit about IWW from tover at the mod crowd too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhein View Post
This is very true. I blacked out the grill on my Toyota and I blacked out the teeth on my pet monkey. Now I have trouble telling them apart.
One leaves leaks all over your driveway.

It ain't the Toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunez. Jacob View Post
bamford
Thought they only sold modded watches new, didn't think they did custom jobs on already owned units.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 10:17 AM   #27
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have a friend who's looking to have a 116710 done in all matte black. Watch head and bracelet. I'm out of the loop on having watches coated, and done a few google searches and haven't come up with anything solid. Any recommendations and or pictures of finished products?
Can't find a pic of PVD'd PCL right now but from what I've come across in the past PVD alone isn't thick enough to give a matte finish on a shiny original surface, it's more like rechroming and the end result isn't too different from the original surface texture. Ask if it's better to get the shiny bits brushed first.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 10:27 AM   #28
WJGESQ
Banned

Just say no.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 10:41 AM   #29
rexG
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I’m all for anyone modifying their watch they way they want! Hell, people modify classic cars. To some it’s sacrilege.....to others, if it’s done right...it’s a nice enhancement. I, personally, like them the way they were made.....To each his own. I can’t help you with any recommendations however.
116619LB SMURF
rexG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 12:16 PM   #30
bradyb
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
HK has an abundance of DLC and PVD Rolex, so you should just buy one from these guys:
http://www.9maiali.com/product-category-rolex/

Easy and done.
bradyb is offline   Reply With Quote