The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 January 2018, 11:13 PM   #31
Switch
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord91 View Post
No it's not, it' better from a tool watch pov: the blue for the day hours, black for night. Red is associated with temperatures, so not really its place on a GMT. Based on colour scheme alone, that depends on anyone's taste.
While Blue is associated with the day sky, it can be argued that Red is associated with the sun and thus daytime. This would still fit within the theme of the functionality of the bezel. And in a dimly lit cabin or flight deck, the Red is likely functionally more visible than the Blue. We all know how much of a chameleon the BLNR is at night, hence its versatility.

Either way both colour schemes work fine and make for a good watch to have. However I doubt Rolex will have both in production.
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 11:14 PM   #32
Raypep
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / BLNR / Sub
I prefer the color scheme of the BLNR over pepsi, hence the reason I'm picking it up tomorrow. Price does play a role in my book, but I'd still choose BLNR.

-R
Raypep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 11:15 PM   #33
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
The BLNR was the first mixed color ceramic bezel. I thought the issue with the BLRO was that it was so hard/$ to create the bezels, so it is only applied to WG examples.

The blue color has multiple references in the GMT lineage. The GMT line is ripe for a refresh, I wonder if a "Blueberry" platinum or white gold model is released this year.
Yes, the two primary colour bezel difficulty and high wastage cost was given by Rolex as the reason for putting this more expensive bezel insert on the WG model. Makes sense to me as they knew they were going to get a lot of heat for "betraying" SS owners, and they sure did.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 11:15 PM   #34
mangoseed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
The bit in bold doesn't really make sense to me.

I'm sure most people would agree that the BLNR is more in demand than the LN. New variants of the GMT-II would not alter that equation. The BLNR would almost certainly take a hit in the advent of a SS Pepsi or Coke, but so would the LN. So whilst secondary BLNR prices might drop since you'd expect demand might reduce, exactly the same would happen to the LN.

No?
The decrease in demand for the LN would be smaller than the decrease in demand for the BNLR due to the fact that most LN owners are ones who already chose against a two color bezel in the the first place, whereas the opposite is true of the BLNR (which I happen to consider to be the most overhyped Rolex).
mangoseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 11:22 PM   #35
mangoseed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannis View Post
Well, BLNR is a more refined watch than the 5 digit reference (bracelet, ceramics, overall look and feel). I see it as an upgrade not as a substitute let alone a poor one. Of course 16710s are great watches, i am a fan and my first Rolex was a 16710.

Also i do not see how the price of BLNR could drop to a price lower than LN. How did you come up to this conclusion? Is there any reasoning behind it? Can you elaborate?
I am happy to elaborate. My hypothesis was not about the practical comparison of currently available watches, but that most people looking for a two color bezel GMT (regarding new watches) would ideally prefer a Coke or Pepsi, which as we all know is unavailable, so they settle for the BLNR. The LN appeals to a rather different market than the the bi-colored bezel GMT's, looks-wise it is more like a slight variant of the Submariner. So therefore I believe that the BLNR would be much more of a direct competitor to a newly introduced Coke than the LN.
Old 16 January 2018, 11:32 PM   #36
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoseed View Post
The decrease in demand for the LN would be smaller than the decrease in demand for the BNLR due to the fact that most LN owners are ones who already chose against a two color bezel in the the first place, whereas the opposite is true of the BLNR (which I happen to consider to be the most overhyped Rolex).
So with this, and the way you phrased your original question, it just sounds like you are pushing your agenda.

Ok, thats fair. You certainly have the right to your opinion.

But who cares? You dislike it so much that you are trying to discredit it? Thats just weird man. Its just a watch my man.

Besides, your statement about LN owners also does not make a heck of a lot of sense. The LN came out years before the BLNR. So it is very likely that the many thousands of owners of the LN simply loved their watch and did not feel the need to spend the extra money for the new bezel.

It does not imply that they made a choice between the two.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 11:39 PM   #37
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Love my BLNR. Don't like the Coke but really like the Pepsi. I would probably add the Pepsi if they came out with it in Stainless. Also really really like the BLRO and would probably go with this one is I ever went PM to enjoy gold and not draw attention. However its hard to justify the added enrollment fee of the white gold.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 11:49 PM   #38
mangoseed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
So with this, and the way you phrased your original question, it just sounds like you are pushing your agenda.

Ok, thats fair. You certainly have the right to your opinion.

But who cares? You dislike it so much that you are trying to discredit it? Thats just weird man. Its just a watch my man.

Besides, your statement about LN owners also does not make a heck of a lot of sense. The LN came out years before the BLNR. So it is very likely that the many thousands of owners of the LN simply loved their watch and did not feel the need to spend the extra money for the new bezel.

It does not imply that they made a choice between the two.
I certainly have no agenda, it was just a thought I happened pondering over earlier. I don't personally dislike the watch, I saw it in person side by side the black bezel and it just didn't appeal to me. Although I do believe it is rather overhyped as the only difference is the bezel.
Old 16 January 2018, 11:51 PM   #39
MJ8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Not at all...... I prefer the BLNR over the Pepsi and Coke
MJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 11:55 PM   #40
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I certainly have no agenda, it was just a thought I happened pondering over earlier. I don't personally dislike the watch, I saw it in person side by side the black bezel and it just didn't appeal to me. Although I do believe it is rather overhyped as the only difference is the bezel.
Very true. It is the only difference. Except the 24 hour hand is different too.

Which can be said for the LVC as well, but swap dial for 24 hour hand. Or maybe the only difference being the dial changes in the YM line. Or the only two differences in the new Daytona are the bezel and the dial. Everything else is exactly the same. Clearly though they are commanding a huge premium and crazy hype.

Personally, I like both the BLNR and LN.

Old 17 January 2018, 12:02 AM   #41
mangoseed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Very true. It is the only difference. Except the 24 hour hand is different too.

Which can be said for the LVC as well, but swap dial for 24 hour hand. Or maybe the only difference being the dial changes in the YM line. Or the only two differences in the new Daytona are the bezel and the dial. Everything else is exactly the same. Clearly though they are commanding a huge premium and crazy hype.

Personally, I like both the BLNR and LN.
Yes, I suppose that I just find it rather strange for minor aesthetic differences to cause huge premiums, I just assumed that in the case of the BLNR it was due to its closer resemblance to past GMT models.
Old 17 January 2018, 12:09 AM   #42
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes, I suppose that I just find it rather strange for minor aesthetic differences to cause huge premiums, I just assumed that in the case of the BLNR it was due to its closer resemblance to past GMT models.
I cant debate that logic. It does seem strange that such small changes create big jumps in pricing.

I suppose it is to cover R&D costs.

Old 17 January 2018, 12:36 AM   #43
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Quote:
I am happy to elaborate. My hypothesis was not about the practical comparison of currently available watches, but that most people looking for a two color bezel GMT (regarding new watches) would ideally prefer a Coke or Pepsi, which as we all know is unavailable, so they settle for the BLNR. The LN appeals to a rather different market than the the bi-colored bezel GMT's, looks-wise it is more like a slight variant of the Submariner. So therefore I believe that the BLNR would be much more of a direct competitor to a newly introduced Coke than the LN.
Thanks for the response!

I believe that even if a "Coke" came out (what a lovely addition to the stable would that be) the BLNR would still be more desirable than the LN.

Yet, i agree that BLNR and RONR (or black red in case my term is incorrect) would be in direct competition with one another as two special, scarce, harder to get GMTs. As a newer addition the red black combo would most probably be more popular than the BLNR at least at the beginning.

There can be endless opinions and debate but market will ultimately determine which is going to be the most popular.

One has to take into account that BLNR is by default a scarce, special watch to get, so Rolex is unlikely to let them congest on AD's shelves.

They are very good at controlling supply and it seems that as of last year they are getting better.

Another scenario is that they may end the BLNR production making it even more desirable than before. Who knows?

Still the BLNR is by no means an alternative (let alone a poor one) to any watch rolex has made (actually it is one of the most stunning ones) and i do not see how the LN would become more popular than the BLNR.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 12:40 AM   #44
encarter13
"TRF" Member

OP, you need to remember that the TRF family is a small group of WIS. Most people want a watch because it looks "cool" or buy the brand. While the TRF family might love a Pepsi or Coke because it reminds us of vintage models, the non-WIS will still buy based on how "cool" the watch is perceived. With the BLNR's "Batman" moniker growing more and more popular, the demand will only increase.

In short, a Pepsi or Coke will mainly appeal to the WIS and we make up a small % of the Rolex market share.
Old 17 January 2018, 12:42 AM   #45
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
What a bizarre thread. Guy doesn't like the BLNR so starts a strange analogy of why and what ifs.
I bought mine precisely because I find the color combination beautiful, I'd never considered any GMT before in my 30+ years of Rolex ownership.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 12:53 AM   #46
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
I don't really think the BLNR is a substitute for anything.

Truth is (from what has been shared with me from several an AD - and friend) is that prior to them being discontinued- they couldn't hardly give away the 5 digit 'Pepsi' and 'Coke' GMTs. If one chooses to subscribe to that logic- it would make sense why (1), the BLNR was released in two super popular Rolex colors, blue and black...and (2) why the new 'Pepsi' (BLRO) was released in PM.

Will they release a new 'Coke' GMT? Who knows -- my speculation is that this one sets the stage almost PERFECTLY for a Platinum GMT reference as there's really no point in discontinuing the BLNR--- as it is super popular....

Just my .02
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 12:55 AM   #47
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Hardly.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 12:57 AM   #48
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

If a Pepsi or coke SS gmt is released (big IF), I think Rolex will retire the BLNR and keep supply the same .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 01:08 AM   #49
Raypep
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / BLNR / Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
What a bizarre thread. Guy doesn't like the BLNR so starts a strange analogy of why and what ifs.
I bought mine precisely because I find the color combination beautiful, I'd never considered any GMT before in my 30+ years of Rolex ownership.

Except not 30 years for me, more like 8.

-R
Raypep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 02:08 AM   #50
kwingy
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't call it a poor substitute - it certainly has its admirers especially with the younger Rolex wearers as well. But I do think it lacks a certain nostalgic charm of the 16710 coke and Pepsi’s. Those watches have iconic status and I don't think the BLNR is quite there yet although it could be in a few years. I also think the BLNR is just a completely different watch DNA wise to its 5-digit counterpart. It probably explains why I have had 3 BLNR's and let them all go each time without any regret.
kwingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 02:09 AM   #51
worldfamoussam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date II
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
The BLNR is a great variation on the bi-color theme of the GMT. Looked at another way, it's a half-Blueberry.
I totally read that as "half Burberry" and spent at least a minute trying to figure out what you meant. Wow ...
Old 17 January 2018, 02:12 AM   #52
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Surely if we've learned anything about the Rolex market, it's that if something "new" comes along, the "old" prices and demand go through the roof.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 02:23 AM   #53
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

The Pepsi and Coke bezel GMT-Masters are sought after because they came first. End of story. They have been around for a long time and have become iconic. If the original GMT-Master had a blue and black bezel, it would be a model more sought after. I think the red/blue Pepsi bezel is bold and that in of itself has made the model more interesting, but from a functional standpoint, the blue/black bezel makes more sense. If the notion is that the bi-color bezel is to differentiate day from night, the blue and black make the most sense intuitively.

If we are talking about functionality, the modern GMT bezel is far superior with 24 clicks and less issues with bi-directionality. I have no hate for the older GMT-Masters. They are just less evolved, but with that comes an obvious charm. Nostalgia will always play a role when it comes to color schemes, cases, etc, but I don't think any of those things change the notion that the BLNR is functionally superior (casting aside the ceramic/aluminum debate).
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 02:38 AM   #54
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
Is the BLNR really just a poor substitute for a Pepsi or Coke?

BLNR is beautiful but not as nice as the WG BLRO. Personally I don’t like the green on the GMT LN.

Here’s my BLRO:

GolfPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 02:38 AM   #55
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
I dont think the BLNR is a poor substitute for any watch.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 02:40 AM   #56
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Boaters

I misread it ...my apologies.

Last edited by GolfPunk; 17 January 2018 at 02:55 AM.. Reason: My error
Old 17 January 2018, 02:50 AM   #57
kwingy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfPunk View Post
Is it necessary to post derogatory comments? You will cause offence to many BLNR owners.
I didn't think he did? He said I dont think the BLNR is a poor substitute for any watch
kwingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 02:54 AM   #58
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwingy View Post
I didn't think he did? He said I dont think the BLNR is a poor substitute for any watch
My apologies I read that way too quick ... sorry. I’ll dekete my comment
Old 17 January 2018, 03:18 AM   #59
Duende01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwingy View Post
I wouldn't call it a poor substitute - it certainly has its admirers especially with the younger Rolex wearers as well. But I do think it lacks a certain nostalgic charm of the 16710 coke and Pepsi’s. Those watches have iconic status and I don't think the BLNR is quite there yet although it could be in a few years. I also think the BLNR is just a completely different watch DNA wise to its 5-digit counterpart. It probably explains why I have had 3 BLNR's and let them all go each time without any regret.
You can try to convince yourself about your statement, however, any time one gets something more than once, there is a certain level of regret and thus the reason why it is re-aquired. Being that you have had three BLNRs, this strongly proves that you have regretted your decision at least twice, whether you want to admit it or not.
Duende01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 03:41 AM   #60
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

No not a substitute! I'd like SS Pepsi ceramic and hope that one will come out soon.

If you want a Pepsi that looks beautiful in its very own style for $300, rich with history, automatic, check out the Seiko turtle PADI.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote