The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 April 2020, 12:13 PM   #1
bin31z
"TRF" Member

Anyone wishing for a smaller Pelagos?

I think the pelagos is one of the most interesting designs to come out of the Tudor/Rolex brands for a long time. It retains some historic elements without being basically an homage like the black bay 58, but is at the same time utilitarian and modern with a huge power reserve and titanium to boot. Only problem for me is that the watch wears huge! Anyone else wishing for a black bay 58 treatment for the pelagos? Maybe 39mm, 11mm thick and 48 lug to lug? Anything like this on the horizon?
bin31z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 12:20 PM   #2
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
That would be cool. I understand what you mean by saying that it’s not a throwback or a homage or whatever

In the mean time tho, if you want a cool smaller diver, I recommend a Seiko skx013!
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 12:29 PM   #3
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I don’t. The Pelagos is intended to be a technical diver. The added thickness contributes to the water resistance and the wider diameter improves legibility.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 12:36 PM   #4
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
I don’t. The Pelagos is intended to be a technical diver. The added thickness contributes to the water resistance and the wider diameter improves legibility.
Agree with this. Pelagos is actually thinner than the BB. Which is ridiculous. Pelagos' thickness is reasonable for what it is, BB's thickness isn't reasonable for what it is. So while I appreciate thinner watches and feel like all BB should become as thin as BB58 is, including the GMT, I feel like Pelagos has an excuse, due to it being certified to larger depths and having a helium escape valve, for being as thick as it is.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 01:09 PM   #5
bin31z
"TRF" Member

I mean...helium escape valve..come on boys, we are not using that. Just letting anyone that doesn't dive know, 100 meters is almost like the ends of the earth for a recreational diver, deep open water certification is for up to 40 meters.

Don't forget 5513's were probably more realistic tool watches than a ceramic sub and those were tiny by modern standards.

So we aren't talking about the watch NEEDING to be bigger but NEEDING to look the part of a tough macho watch. I don't think those two things are the same.
Old 5 April 2020, 01:10 PM   #6
bin31z
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
That would be cool. I understand what you mean by saying that it’s not a throwback or a homage or whatever

In the mean time tho, if you want a cool smaller diver, I recommend a Seiko skx013!
Yeah that's a fav of mine. Now if only grand seiko would put a 9s into that bad boy.
Old 5 April 2020, 01:12 PM   #7
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by bin31z View Post
I think the pelagos is one of the most interesting designs to come out of the Tudor/Rolex brands for a long time. It retains some historic elements without being basically an homage like the black bay 58, but is at the same time utilitarian and modern with a huge power reserve and titanium to boot. Only problem for me is that the watch wears huge! Anyone else wishing for a black bay 58 treatment for the pelagos? Maybe 39mm, 11mm thick and 48 lug to lug? Anything like this on the horizon?

Count me in!!’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 01:44 PM   #8
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I mean...helium escape valve..come on boys, we are not using that.
Just because we don't need one, doesn't mean it wasn't needed to do what the Pelagos is supposed to be capable of. A supercar is also made for driving it fast around the race track or around country roads. Yet most of them end up just being parked in a garage or cruising barely doing 50KMH (30MPH for those using imperial) around some city where the owner shows his car off. It's not about whether they will be driven that way, it's about whether they can be driven that way.

Most people buying Pelagos wouldn't care whether its water resistance was 500m or 50m. But it, as a model, is made to be capable of doing a certain thing. Similarly DSSD is made to be able to withstand 3900m. I bet most haven't been below 10m, if that, but that doesn't matter. It's not about whether you will take it to that depth, it's about whether you can.

Quote:
Don't forget 5513's were probably more realistic tool watches than a ceramic sub and those were tiny by modern standards.
Why is it exactly that 5513 is a more realistic tool watch that a modern ceramic Sub? I'm willing to bet that the modern Sub is at least as good at being a diver than a 5513 if not way better. Just because most people will never use a SubC like one doesn't mean that it isn't a tool watch.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 01:51 PM   #9
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
The Pelagos size and thickness are perfect as is. But it's all subjective to the wearer.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 01:57 PM   #10
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So you want a 5 digit sub?
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 02:06 PM   #11
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Yeah that's a fav of mine. Now if only grand seiko would put a 9s into that bad boy.

I bought one recently and really like how it looks and how it wears

Yeah!

I’ve seen a mod where they swap a NH35 I think?

Anyway, they swap a hacking and hand winding movement into skx watches

That would be super cool
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 02:07 PM   #12
bin31z
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
Just because we don't need one, doesn't mean it wasn't needed to do what the Pelagos is supposed to be capable of. A supercar is also made for driving it fast around the race track or around country roads. Yet most of them end up just being parked in a garage or cruising barely doing 50KMH (30MPH for those using imperial) around some city where the owner shows his car off. It's not about whether they will be driven that way, it's about whether they can be driven that way.

Most people buying Pelagos wouldn't care whether its water resistance was 500m or 50m. But it, as a model, is made to be capable of doing a certain thing. Similarly DSSD is made to be able to withstand 3900m. I bet most haven't been below 10m, if that, but that doesn't matter. It's not about whether you will take it to that depth, it's about whether you can.

Why is it exactly that 5513 is a more realistic tool watch that a modern ceramic Sub? I'm willing to bet that the modern Sub is at least as good at being a diver than a 5513 if not way better. Just because most people will never use a SubC like one doesn't mean that it isn't a tool watch.
I'm saying more 5513's were probably actually used as a real diving watch vs the sub-c. Anyways, look at the 38mm titanium seamaster planet ocean. It can still go to 600 meters with a helium valve.

If you take the caseback off a pelagos, you can see much extra room there is inside the case. I just like it when form follows function, ie the case size dictated by the needs of the diving depth and size of movement.
Old 5 April 2020, 02:08 PM   #13
bin31z
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
So you want a 5 digit sub?
Yeah basically but in titanium, blue dial, an updated movement at half the price with a warranty
Old 5 April 2020, 02:11 PM   #14
bin31z
"TRF" Member

I mean...look at the gap between the movement and case!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16594137093_73f4def8b0_c.jpg (173.1 KB, 922 views)
Old 5 April 2020, 03:36 PM   #15
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Anyone wishing for a smaller Pelagos?

Quote:
I mean...helium escape valve..come on boys, we are not using that. Just letting anyone that doesn't dive know, 100 meters is almost like the ends of the earth for a recreational diver, deep open water certification is for up to 40 meters.

So we aren't talking about the watch NEEDING to be bigger but NEEDING to look the part of a tough macho watch. I don't think those two things are the same.

As I already stated. It’s a technical diver. It’s intended use surpasses recreational diving. A helium escape valve allows helium to escape the inside of a watch case during decompression. Helium enters a watch case when a saturation diver enters the chamber (underwater living quarters). Since gas expands during decompression, the lack of a helium escape valve will likely result in the crystal popping off.

You’re right. We don’t need a helium escape valve because even among avid divers, less than 1% of us will have a use for it. Using that same argument, people do not need mechanical watches in general. There are apple watches, garmins, and suuntos that are superior timing devices and tool watches in every regard to any mechanical watch.

With regard to size. The planet ocean is also a full mm thicker than the Pelagos. I don’t know about you but if my watch is already oversized to begin with, I would rather it be proportionally so.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 04:04 PM   #16
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Current size of my LHD is perfect for me, and I have a small 6.5" [flattish] arm bone.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 08:20 PM   #17
Ksporty
"TRF" Member

Looks good the way it is for me. It works proportionally with my wrist size, and has nice presence without crossing the line.
Ksporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 11:32 PM   #18
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
I love it and think it’s perfect, but realize that not everyone wants a 42-43mm watch. So yes, I wish they offered a smaller one as well. They won’t in the near term, as I’m sure Tudor would just point you to the Black Bay, but I believe the Pelagos to be the superior watch and part of me wishes they made a version for everyone.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 11:35 PM   #19
jason042779
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 18038
Dunno if the switch from ETA to in-house movement caused the extra space in the case (the ETA was slightly thinner wasn't it?) but anyway I think the proportions are perfect. I used to have a Seiko MM300 and I just couldn't do it, it was a bit too tall. Switched to the Pelagos and it's perfect, it will still fit under a shirt cuff. 500m diver with HEV, chronometer, and no cyclops - who needs a Sea Dweller?
jason042779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 11:36 PM   #20
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
I think a 39mm case (40mm bezel) with the same size indices would look amazingly well-proportioned!
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 11:55 PM   #21
neilm92
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedy
Couldn't agree more. I'm really tempted by one but don't know how silly it would look on my c.15cm wrist. 39-40mm would be ideal.
neilm92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 01:46 AM   #22
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
Quote:
I think the pelagos is one of the most interesting designs to come out of the Tudor/Rolex brands for a long time. It retains some historic elements without being basically an homage like the black bay 58, but is at the same time utilitarian and modern with a huge power reserve and titanium to boot.
Exactly. I like to think if a Rolex designer sat down today to make a clean sheet Submariner with modern tooling, materials and technology, no lineage to worry about, that watch would be Pelagos with a Crown logo on it. It has some of the DNA, but it's a whole new idea. That always gets people riled up over here It would be an awesome watch at 10,000. It's a really awesome watch at 4500 or so.

As far as the size, I wouldn't mind if Tudor put out a 'Pelagos 58' of sorts so more people could enjoy this watch, but it wouldn't interest me. I've sold every watch I have bought below 42mm within 6 months of purchase, even the chunky SubC looked too small to my eyes after a few months, so I am perfectly happy with the current size. At actually feels like switching from steel toe works boots to flip flops when I exchange the DSSD for the ultra light (for it's size) Pelagos. It's all relative.
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 02:07 AM   #23
timewarped80
"TRF" Member

YES YES YES. A smaller pelagos would essentially be a done deal for me personally. I’d buy that over a Rolex any day. Old Rolex proportions but new technology and titanium. I’m literally dreaming and praying.
timewarped80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 02:25 AM   #24
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
If Tudor expanded the 58 line it would be a crushing blow to the watch market.
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 03:09 AM   #25
Heathen23
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711
Quote:
Originally Posted by timewarped80 View Post
YES YES YES. A smaller pelagos would essentially be a done deal for me personally. I’d buy that over a Rolex any day. Old Rolex proportions but new technology and titanium. I’m literally dreaming and praying.
Entirely agree. Sadly we so often want what we can’t have
Heathen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 05:05 AM   #26
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I agree; size is the biggest reason I've never owned a Pelagos. 40mm would be perfect imho.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 07:48 AM   #27
yosakamoto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I mean...look at the gap between the movement and case!!!
This is the ETA Pelagos. The MT5612 fits the case perfectly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5793637A-AEBE-4FBD-ADA6-790B0BA68498.jpeg (106.3 KB, 670 views)
yosakamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 08:37 AM   #28
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
yes! 40 mm with thinner case!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 08:50 AM   #29
MikeyV
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41 TT
Only think about the Pelagos for me is the thickness. But after you wear it for a while, you don't notice it too much, unless you look at it from the side.

I think the dial/bezel size is perfect for my wrist. 7" or 7.25"?

I usually wear a DJ41, and switching to the Pelagos it seems really think, but that fades, like I said.

But yea, a svelter Pelagos, maybe with different colors available, maybe in SS would be cool.
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 09:50 AM   #30
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I must say...most all Modern Tudor Diver - with the exception of the 39mm BlackBay - leave me cold.

The 42mm felt too big...but if I found a nice LHD model used, I could be swayed.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote