The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 April 2020, 07:40 AM   #31
mfserge
Banned

Watch: YM40 Rhodium
My AD told me that there will be a major release on 4/31 online; 7pm Eastern. Can’t wait for April 31st.
Old 5 April 2020, 07:45 AM   #32
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Well lots of speculations but I don't think anyone has seen a credible source for this yet (at least I haven't for sure), so I'm going to continue watching to see if this is true.
Old 5 April 2020, 07:45 AM   #33
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfserge View Post
My AD told me that there will be a major release on 4/31 online; 7pm Eastern. Can’t wait for April 31st.
Old 5 April 2020, 07:45 AM   #34
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Old 5 April 2020, 07:51 AM   #35
John S
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There's no 31st in April.
Old 5 April 2020, 07:57 AM   #36
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav333hp View Post
Well lots of speculations but I don't think anyone has seen a credible source for this yet (at least I haven't for sure), so I'm going to continue watching to see if this is true.
Yeah, don't forget to watch on April 31st!
Old 5 April 2020, 08:28 AM   #37
mfserge
Banned

Watch: YM40 Rhodium
Quote:
Originally Posted by John S View Post
There's no 31st in April.
But my AD told me.....
Old 5 April 2020, 10:20 AM   #38
dmitrii_
"TRF" Member

Also heard the 29th from my AD.

ig: therolexgram
Old 5 April 2020, 10:26 AM   #39
tgyberg
"TRF" Member

Watch: D-Blue
Quote:
*Marked on my calendar that doesn't exist!
Old 5 April 2020, 01:13 PM   #40
RyanO
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc
In our new world of doom and gloom, something to look forward to. Hope they do release their new models...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 April 2020, 05:07 PM   #41
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSpecial View Post
Like everyone else on here I have no idea how true this may or may not be but I wonder about the optics of a move like this by Rolex if it were true.

Given the dire situation the entire word is finding itself in with this awful pandemic (that hasn’t even peaked yet) would it not appear unbelievably crass for Rolex to choose this date to launch new models of what are essentially luxury baubles? Particularly at a time when people are losing their jobs/homes/businesses and loved ones.

Personally I hope they show a little more class and hold off to a time when the world is in recovery and it can be seen as something to fuel optimism.

JMPO.
Agreed.
Old 5 April 2020, 05:14 PM   #42
westcoastghost
"TRF" Member

By online releases, does that just mean an online introduction to the new models that will be in stores, or does it mean that they can be purchased online?
Old 5 April 2020, 05:23 PM   #43
westcoastghost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Like everyone else on here I have no idea how true this may or may not be but I wonder about the optics of a move like this by Rolex if it were true.

Given the dire situation the entire word is finding itself in with this awful pandemic (that hasn’t even peaked yet) would it not appear unbelievably crass for Rolex to choose this date to launch new models of what are essentially luxury baubles? Particularly at a time when people are losing their jobs/homes/businesses and loved ones.

Personally I hope they show a little more class and hold off to a time when the world is in recovery and it can be seen as something to fuel optimism.

JMPO.
I don't really see the reason for everyone who can afford to spend to completely stop spending as well. That is actually a lot worse for the economy, since consumers are what drive the economy. The lack of consumer spending and confidence is what will prolong a recession/depression and cause higher and more prolonged unemployment and it will effect all economic classes of society. This will trickle down to the employees. Should Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Mercedes, and every other manufacturer of something you deem as luxury stop producing products? I don't really follow the logic.

Nike is still releasing new limited releases through their app, every other business is adjusting their business models to survive, restaurants are implementing non contact delivery and pickup, same with car dealerships, etc. Behind the luxury label, there are numerous ordinary people, they shouldn't just stop doing business, they should adjust how they do business.
Old 5 April 2020, 05:27 PM   #44
jonzm
Banned

Watch: Rolex Yatchmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt03r1 View Post
Apparently Rolex is planning a "partial" release of the new 2020 watches on 04/29. Will be done online.

Any source to look up?
Old 5 April 2020, 06:53 PM   #45
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Can't wait for a pink dialed sub
Old 5 April 2020, 06:58 PM   #46
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastghost View Post
I don't really see the reason for everyone who can afford to spend to completely stop spending as well. That is actually a lot worse for the economy, since consumers are what drive the economy. The lack of consumer spending and confidence is what will prolong a recession/depression and cause higher and more prolonged unemployment and it will effect all economic classes of society. This will trickle down to the employees. Should Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Mercedes, and every other manufacturer of something you deem as luxury stop producing products? I don't really follow the logic.

Nike is still releasing new limited releases through their app, every other business is adjusting their business models to survive, restaurants are implementing non contact delivery and pickup, same with car dealerships, etc. Behind the luxury label, there are numerous ordinary people, they shouldn't just stop doing business, they should adjust how they do business.
+1 and kind of silly to even remotely insinuate they’re ‘lacking class’ by releasing stuff they’ve probably had in the pipeline for years. If anything, new watch models, even if not purchased, ARE something to benefit myself and others in times like these. Always enjoy seeing interesting stuff around Basel!
Old 5 April 2020, 07:18 PM   #47
CaliSpecial
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Missed my point completely. Where did I suggest anyone should stop spending, or that any manufacturer should stop producing? My post was about the optics and how it might be perceived. Nothing more.
Old 5 April 2020, 07:26 PM   #48
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Missed my point completely. Where did I suggest anyone should stop spending, or that any manufacturer should stop producing? My post was about the optics and how it might be perceived. Nothing more.
When they’re possibly discontinuing model (Sub) and replacing with a new one (and would have been planned out years in advance) you have exactly suggested they should stop producing.
Old 5 April 2020, 07:33 PM   #49
Mperry10
"TRF" Member

Given that all ADs are closed and Rolex has temporarily ceased production, it seems pointless to speculate on what may or not be realeased on 29th April. Even if they do release new models, the supply of them will be practically non existent and there will be nowhere to buy them.
Old 5 April 2020, 07:33 PM   #50
CaliSpecial
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
When they’re possibly discontinuing model (Sub) and replacing with a new one (and would have been planned out years in advance) you have exactly suggested they should stop producing.
Really? Show me. Show me exactly where in my post there is any suggestion of halting production.
Old 5 April 2020, 07:34 PM   #51
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
dont think it's true. people are dying, this is the worst time to celebrate the new releases.
Old 5 April 2020, 07:39 PM   #52
Abmatt2002
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126300
IMHO it makes sense to me for them to do some sort of low level launch.

Will build hype on the new releases for when people can actually go out and buy them.
Old 5 April 2020, 07:50 PM   #53
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

JMPO.
The question is, where does one draw the line and who draws it?

Most things we in the affluent world possess are luxury baubles. They only seem essential because we want them and/or they make our lives more convenient.

What can and can't be launched, sold, bought, traded during a pandemic?

Any who personally object to the conduct of an organisation that sells things can boycott them. Everyone else won't mind in the least. Not that it's any of their business.
Old 5 April 2020, 09:17 PM   #54
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Whether or not they release 'em, it's not as if we are gonna get them any time soon
Old 5 April 2020, 09:40 PM   #55
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Last word from my AD (from a Rolex rep visit recently) was the new 70 hour power reserve movement for the sub. I think Rolex is planning a lot of things with the new movement and I think I heard a new manufacturing plant to increase movement output.
Old 6 April 2020, 02:12 AM   #56
timewarped80
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt03r1 View Post
Apparently Rolex is planning a "partial" release of the new 2020 watches on 04/29. Will be done online.
I am sure the AD isn’t lying. And it would make sense that some new releases are introduced. Yes we have a pandemic but it’s temporary and gotta stay engaged with customers and keep fresh mindshare. I am going to wait to see what happens and if nothing new comes out, or nothing interesting at least, I’ll go ahead and pick up a Pelagos. As far as color, no idea!
Old 6 April 2020, 03:48 AM   #57
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
At this rate, It might take years before they hit the ADs though. Maybe Rolex should have focused on producing the models they already have manufactured before adding more unattainable models mostly grey dealers will obtain and price over MSRP.
Old 6 April 2020, 03:54 AM   #58
RyanO
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc
Quote:

I couldn't agree more.
Old 6 April 2020, 04:08 AM   #59
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

There have been moves in other luxury segments to move UP product launches. New products are one of the few ways to drive engagement and consumer excitement in a time when some traditional forms of marketing and branding are much less effective. You don't want your market to forget about you.

Of course, those moves are probably at least partially to drive online sales (which Rolex likely won't do), and no one is going to forget about Rolex any time soon. But it shows that at least some luxury brands aren't too worried about being perceived as tone-deaf. These companies exist, so of course they'll do what they can to remain in the minds of consumers.

Rolex is a master of advertising and branding. I'm not too concerned that their efforts will be in poor taste. I think they'll get it right.
Old 6 April 2020, 04:12 AM   #60
ltmgeller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I'm interested in seeing if this true. I've heard the same thing in my circles.
Closed Thread