The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 April 2020, 11:03 AM   #1
IR201
"TRF" Member

5 digit subs

Okay love the look of the 5 digit sub, had a 14060M and 16610, traded them on for the new pepsi. I love the new pepsi and wouldn't trade back, but still miss the two I traded for it. If that makes sense. But then I remember why I parted with the 5 digits. To me they felt like they were not worth the price tag. Not like the newer pieces are per se, but the feeling in the hand of the newer pieces is more luxury if you will. The materials, the bracelet, clasp etc. feel more in line with a higher price tag - even though i know some or all is quite inflated relative to materials anyway. Question is, how do I scratch the 5 digit itch? How do I overcome the feeling it is "not worth it" to add back to my collection? Anyone out there who has similar thoughts about the 5 digit prices nowadays and gotten over it?
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 11:08 AM   #2
Jster
2024 Pledge Member

I have very similar feelings about the 5 digit subs. To me, it comes down to the bracelet. Put a modern oyster on a 5 digit sub and I’m all over it.
Jster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 11:19 AM   #3
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Get a Tudor BB58. 5-digit vibe at a nice entry price point.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 11:23 AM   #4
Andad

Watch: A few.
I enjoy wearing both the 5 and 6 digit models.

They all have their own features.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 11:27 AM   #5
fania123
"TRF" Member

I actually traded all 6 digits to 5 and couldn’t be happier! The 5 digit Rolex’s feel like tool watches not like jewelry.
fania123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 11:28 AM   #6
spoon-turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
I may have expressed this too many times in the forum, but the 5 digits have this certain charm, they look great under the cuffs. On casual attire, it looks really dated.

6 digits look more fresh when on casual attire.
spoon-turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 11:35 AM   #7
rdigate
"TRF" Member

Check out the Yachtmaster. The case is much more like the 5 digit. It can be dressed up or down and has the modern amenities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
rdigate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 01:15 PM   #8
Jak77
"TRF" Member

I'm where you were at. Have a 16610 and looking to get into a 116610. Mainly for the bracelet.
Jak77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 01:19 PM   #9
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Mine was from 1978 or 9 and didn't seem to have many digits. Wish I had kept it!
Old 4 April 2020, 03:06 PM   #10
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fania123 View Post
I actually traded all 6 digits to 5 and couldn’t be happier! The 5 digit Rolex’s feel like tool watches not like jewelry.

I like the tool watch element also. This is kinda what I’m saying. The high price tag seems more fitting for luxury jewelry than it does a tool watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 05:46 PM   #11
Ihatecheese
Banned

I enjoy my 14060m
I felt at the time it was worth what I paid for it 4 yrs ago, for a 2001, 2 line. Back then they were substantially cheaper than new and used 6 digit. I think they retailed back in day for about 2ish k. I bought at just over 4.
I don't think it's worth much over that if I compare it to other watches. The finish, the bracelet. Is representative of its original MSRP. It's nowhere as big and shiny as the 6 digits. Bracelet v average, indeed mine on rubber straps most of the time but it only really goes on holiday now.
But it is a beautiful watch in its shape and togetherness. I can appreciate even the dial for many moments.
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 05:46 PM   #12
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jster View Post
I have very similar feelings about the 5 digit subs. To me, it comes down to the bracelet. Put a modern oyster on a 5 digit sub and I’m all over it.
Exactly this. Get a 5 digit Sub that can take a 97200 glidelock bracelet and you have the best of both worlds.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 05:50 PM   #13
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
They both have there places love my 5 digit 16710 but the heft on the maxi case is nice to IMPO.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 10:15 PM   #14
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
Get a Tudor BB58. 5-digit vibe at a nice entry price point.
Quote:
did the same, could never get over the lugs on the 6 digit. 5 digits are the last of the real tool vibe feel. I love my 58, highly recommend, wasn't willing to pay 7k for a 14060 when I can get a 58 for half the price.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 10:25 PM   #15
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Glad to hear I’m not the only one. Really want a 5 digit but I just can’t justify paying their current asking prices

The 6 digit is way too blingy “look at me” over the top IMO
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 10:50 PM   #16
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Totally feel the same. I went to try on a load of 5 and 6 digit pieces a few months back. I tried a 5 digit Pepsi and a Kermit. Both felt absolutely perfect on the wrist. But, I then tried a ceramic sub and could get beyond the quality of the bracelet.

So I kinda have the same issue. I don’t think 5 digits are worth the current prices and the bracelets don’t compare to the 6 digits. But, they do wear so much better and look better to my eye.

Tough one. I think the 6 digits are a better buy on a like for like price basis.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 11:22 PM   #17
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Question is, how do I scratch the 5 digit itch?
Wait a month or two and get a 5 digit back.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 11:30 PM   #18
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Okay love the look of the 5 digit sub, had a 14060M and 16610, traded them on for the new pepsi. I love the new pepsi and wouldn't trade back, but still miss the two I traded for it. If that makes sense. But then I remember why I parted with the 5 digits. To me they felt like they were not worth the price tag. Not like the newer pieces are per se, but the feeling in the hand of the newer pieces is more luxury if you will. The materials, the bracelet, clasp etc. feel more in line with a higher price tag - even though i know some or all is quite inflated relative to materials anyway. Question is, how do I scratch the 5 digit itch? How do I overcome the feeling it is "not worth it" to add back to my collection? Anyone out there who has similar thoughts about the 5 digit prices nowadays and gotten over it?

You don’t. See there was a reason for the bracelet. The new bracelets are not stronger, they simply feel that way. There are 4 fine adjustments to make on the old bracelets, and they were lighter-why, because lighter has functional utility. See it’s marketing gimmick, the bracelets are held by the same pins. Wider lugs are not an upgrade rather give it more wrist presence. Ceramics- 40 year old technology and more like to fail-not to mention they still have not perfected the colors. Seiko puts them on $600 watches (no slam on seiko I own them myself). Now mine was a gift and believe my mother spent $3250 in my 16610.

Rolex these so called improvements to continue to raise prices they had to make watches that give the illusion of better. Because they are no longer tools, most of their efforts are in building wrist presence, because they know that when you blow 10k for a watch now a significant portion of their buyers wants recognition for owning a Rolex. While Rolex is still very capable, it’s now form first and function second. The movement in the new GMT’s are indeed better. Calling the sub’s at like what now 9k, better is debatable at best.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 11:38 PM   #19
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
You don’t. See there was a reason for the bracelet. The new bracelets are not stronger, they simply feel that way. There are 4 fine adjustments to make on the old bracelets, and they were lighter-why, because lighter has functional utility. See it’s marketing gimmick, the bracelets are held by the same pins.
Having held both side by side, the 6 digit feels way more solid and much heavier.

The pins, as far as I knew, are now ceramic sleeved in the 6 digit so you don’t get that rattle anymore. The clasps are also way way better than the tuna can clasps.

I don’t believe it’s marketing gimmick. They feel significantly more different.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 12:00 AM   #20
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
Having held both side by side, the 6 digit feels way more solid and much heavier.

The pins, as far as I knew, are now ceramic sleeved in the 6 digit so you don’t get that rattle anymore. The clasps are also way way better than the tuna can clasps.

I don’t believe it’s marketing gimmick. They feel significantly more different.

I agree. But the term is “feels” more substantial. It’s not functionally better only heavier. The clasps are not better-it’s the same design, again only “feel” better. If they both fail, it will be at the pin level. The most substantial bracelet is a nato, because if one pin fails the watch will not come off. You made my point for me. I am function over form all day long. Same reason I gave my Daytona to my wife, damm elapsed minutes could not be read accurately and so now use my speedy pro.

Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 12:01 AM   #21
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
5-digit is the largest watch I will wear.

The 6-digit sports models are all too meaty for me.
haven_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 12:15 AM   #22
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Gary: congratulations! You just hit 1000 posts!

Mark

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 02:27 AM   #23
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
I like the tool watch element also. This is kinda what I’m saying. The high price tag seems more fitting for luxury jewelry than it does a tool watch.

Rolex has not been a tool watch in the true sense of the word for 40 years. They were until the quartz revolution of the 70's, then in order to survive rebranded themselves as a "luxury timepiece".
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 02:51 AM   #24
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Rolex has not been a tool watch in the true sense of the word for 40 years. They were until the quartz revolution of the 70's, then in order to survive rebranded themselves as a "luxury timepiece".
Probably true. I started scuba diving over 30 years ago and while this might seem like a long time to some forum members, no one I knew even thought of using a watch for diving then. Dive computers were well established technology and most gauges contained a digital dive timer and depth gauge that worked better than a watch. And were way cheaper than any decent dive watch especially a Rolex.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 05:38 AM   #25
illiguy

Are 5-digit Subs having a moment right now? Seeing lots of threads on them of late.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 05:40 AM   #26
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
That’s precisely why they are prized. No one made tool watches better than Rolex. Not fussy and unpretentious they just oozed class and functionality. If you wanted bling you got a DJ. I love the modern Rolex sports models but I honestly do miss not having a 5 series in my collection. My Explorer 214270 is a nice compromise and feels more tool watch.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 02:50 PM   #27
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
i went from 6 digit to 5 digit subs because i think they are a little less bulky and the bracelets feel more comfortable i find. that said i loved my time with 6 digit and i am sure there are threads here where i wax lyrical about the glidelock.

weirdly i haven't missed it at all.

the 6 digit bracelet was initially a major part of my enthusiasm for 6 digit. i held a 16710 and thought it seemed like tin foil in comparison to my hulk.

eventually though the appeal of a lighter thinner smaller watch grew and now here i am in 5 digit heaven.
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 06:10 PM   #28
Alexexec
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdigate View Post
Check out the Yachtmaster. The case is much more like the 5 digit. It can be dressed up or down and has the modern amenities.
Was going to mention this, Yachtmaster40
Alexexec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 06:18 PM   #29
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
I enjoy wearing both the 5 and 6 digit models.

They all have their own features.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 07:49 PM   #30
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Wait a month or two and get a 5 digit back.
I’m 100% picking up an 16600 if we get back to 2015 pricing.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote