The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 April 2020, 03:39 AM   #31
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
Of course it’s nice to know that you can sell your watches for more

But... I have bought all my watches with a watch budget that has zero impact on my lifestyle. It is with cash not credit. So it doesn’t really matter to me that watch value is tanking. Obviously not tanking is better but this is the life we live in for the moment

I bought my watches because I love wearing them. I’ve never bought a watch to flip.

But to answer your question there is no watch crisis, at least for me
+1

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 03:50 AM   #32
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Its very funny actually how quickly the tide has turned on TRF.

We all used to complain about how many threads there are about ppl posting things like "How much money will I make?" Or "How much can I flip my Hulk or BLRO for?"

Now all the threads are about selling and taking losses and worried flippers scrambling trying to liquidate.
Exactly. People asked here for an investment subforum many times. Now we need a run for the hills subforum. Things have changed quickly.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 03:56 AM   #33
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
I hope they plummet to be honest. All overinflated hype driven by social media. They are a watch, a nice watch for sure and i do love the ones i have. Prices are ridiculous IMHO.

I bought them at different periods in my life, as i needed a watch to perform a function. Not so i looked cool at the bar or thinking i might make a few quid selling them.

Fire retardant suit being donned haha.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 03:56 AM   #34
garbanzo
"TRF" Member

There will be distressed sellers - a lot of them. We have not seen anything yet.
For a watch enthusiast, candy store time.
Old 5 April 2020, 04:01 AM   #35
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Give it about 1 month to see the real drop. That's when people are going to be feeling the real crunch of unemployment while at the same time Rolex ships out new stock.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 04:04 AM   #36
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree myself would count watches very far down the list of importance in today's present health crises world wide.Some should remember the most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Well said Padi
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 04:09 AM   #37
Rolexforthewin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlykane View Post
hi
there is a friend of mine saying that my hulk and my sky dweller complications , are going down for this period , and rolex watches too btw..
i don't think it's true , because when i see the websites that are selling rolex , don't see any differences so far

is there something true in this?
I couldn't care less! I purchase all my watches via my local AD's at MSRP and have no intention on selling them. I purchase and wear my watches for my simple pleasure. It's the grey market and flippers that are frantic, not us true watch enthusiasts!
Rolexforthewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 04:23 AM   #38
Anton911
Banned

Watch: Daytona,hulk
It’s the same old nay slayers posting these threads.People who are desperately hoping Rolex will drop like a stone so they can afford to buy.
This forum is full of these sad threads and sad people.
Anton911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 04:29 AM   #39
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton911 View Post
It’s the same old nay slayers posting these threads.People who are desperately hoping Rolex will drop like a stone so they can afford to buy.
I think we're just kind of casually chatting actually. You'd be surprised how many of us actually own a Rolex, so the rude comment about not being able to afford doesn't make much sense here.
Old 5 April 2020, 04:40 AM   #40
FoolioABC
"TRF" Member

Honestly, I think it's more of a silver lining in this mess. People who want a particular model now have the opportunity to obtain one, and luckily covid-19 does not infect watches so my BLNR is still looking beautiful on my wrist. This is only a "crisis" for people who buy these with the intention of flipping for a profit. Rolex people are kind of spoiled in this regard - watch enthusiasts understand that most other watches you sell at a loss when you decide to move it on - that's the price you pay for having to gotten to enjoy it for as long as you did. Only Rolex and Patek people feel entitled to lose no money and, indeed, expect to GAIN money in watch purchases.
FoolioABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 04:43 AM   #41
Drpepper
"TRF" Member

There only losing value to me cause I’d rather take the money and invest in the market or for some real estate in the future than put more into a watch
Drpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 04:44 AM   #42
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
hi
there is a friend of mine saying that my hulk and my sky dweller complications , are going down for this period , and rolex watches too btw..
i don't think it's true , because when i see the websites that are selling rolex , don't see any differences so far

is there something true in this?
Crisis?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 04:48 AM   #43
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
in fact i bought them because i can't keep my money , i'm like women , always spending money , so i had some money to spend and people around me said that these watches could rise up in terms of value , so i believed them , and in fact these watches was some kind of safe , so that i couldn't spend this money..
if i knew that gold is sooo rising up today , well , that's always the same problem , ..
OP responded. I can’t tell if they are being facetious but I’ll take your response at face value.

If you purchased your watches from the grey market and paid a premium, then the watches will lose value in the short term. I hope you have enough free cash flow that you don’t have to sell your watches during this time.

In the future, I would suggest not listening to people who tell you to buy watches for investments. They are not.

Good luck and stay inside.
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 05:40 AM   #44
gejay99
"TRF" Member

As long as you got MSRP, don’t worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 April 2020, 05:46 AM   #45
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Most forum members are very able and good with buying at retail for MSRP. Its the unavailability of the desired pieces at MSRP which has caused most of the discussion in recent months. How the unfolding crisis affects availability at retail is a fair topic.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 05:58 AM   #46
3sheets86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Most forum members are very able and good with buying at retail for MSRP. Its the unavailability of the desired pieces at MSRP which has caused most of the discussion in recent months. How the unfolding crisis affects availability at retail is a fair topic.
I agree. I think it's just a matter of a number of genuine enthusiasts that would like to be able to purchase a watch that in theory they can afford if offered at the retail price. I'm no high flyer, just an average job but have always been a saver and at 33 years old I've managed to pay off my mortgage in full but I'm not loaded by any means. However, if Mappin & Webb called with a SS Daytona I could afford it but what I can't afford is the amount that they require to get to the stage of being offered one. Does that mean I shouldn't have one?
3sheets86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 06:01 AM   #47
myc ritz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Speedy, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
Give it about 1 month to see the real drop. That's when people are going to be feeling the real crunch of unemployment while at the same time Rolex ships out new stock.
If you think Rolex is shipping new stock in one month, you are 100% crazy.
myc ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 06:03 AM   #48
myc ritz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
This. There are some very, very thirsty "collectors" on these forums lately. Miss the good old days when the topics were based on the actual watches.
Old 5 April 2020, 06:15 AM   #49
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

There is no crisis for my watches. I buy them for enjoyment of ownership, aesthetic appeal, wearing comfort and above all, to wear the hell out of them.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 06:21 AM   #50
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

These types of threads crack me up. I can only think these Rolex sky is falling threads are a diversion. A diversion from having to reflect on the reality that homes, luxury and classic cars, collectables, investment portfolios for the vast majority of people are going to implode as most superfluous things do in times of world crisis. So thank you all you Captain Obvious types for letting me know my watches are going to be worth less money in the future. I still enjoy wearing them, anything that can make me feel better in times like this is priceless to me. The grand kids will cherish them one day and that is the real investment value.
cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 06:23 AM   #51
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myc ritz View Post
If you think Rolex is shipping new stock in one month, you are 100% crazy.
They just recently shipped new stock, while closed! Who's crazy now?
Old 5 April 2020, 07:25 AM   #52
myc ritz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
They just recently shipped new stock, while closed! Who's crazy now?
No stock is coming in a month. Regardless, I am thankful that:

a. I've been in this hobby long enough have excellent AD relationships.
b. Due to those relationships, own every modern piece that I like...like most do who have been around awhile.
c. Only care about value in comparison to other watches, so in the case I wanted to trade or make room for another piece the value ratio is still the same.

This is a hobby I enjoy. I like most AD's and I like most grey dealers. Grey dealers are the best source for vintage pieces and BEFORE people entered this hobby thinking watches were an investment, grey dealers were the best source for modern pieces at a nice discount.

For those concerned about money, there are much bigger fish to fry...especially for the next several months.

BTW, this thread needs photos!

Old 5 April 2020, 07:55 AM   #53
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
is there a crisis for our watches???

Quote:
in fact i bought them because i can't keep my money , i'm like women , always spending money , so i had some money to spend and people around me said that these watches could rise up in terms of value , so i believed them , and in fact these watches was some kind of safe , so that i couldn't spend this money..
if i knew that gold is sooo rising up today , well , that's always the same problem , ..

These watches are luxury items. Luxury items are not investments. Stocks, mutual funds, real estate; those are investments. Enjoy your watches. When the value bounces back, sell them if you don’t love them, and put your money in a real investment.

If you buy watches based on “what other people tell you”, you are at risk, in my opinion. Luxury items are the first thing that gets cut in a crunch. Tour le meilleur.
Old 5 April 2020, 08:06 AM   #54
GovernorsGovernor
"TRF" Member

Sorry, but your watches will tank in value... Matter of fact, I think we'll be going back to the days of well-below retail. 2015 is coming back.
GovernorsGovernor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 08:14 AM   #55
easterbunny
"TRF" Member

Quote:

b. Due to those relationships, own every modern piece that I like...like most do who have been around awhile.
c. Only care about value in comparison to other watches, so in the case I wanted to trade or make room for another piece the value ratio is still the same.

This is a hobby I enjoy. I like most AD's and I like most grey dealers. Grey dealers are the best source for vintage pieces and BEFORE people entered this hobby thinking watches were an investment, grey dealers were the best source for modern pieces at a nice discount.

For those concerned about money, there are much bigger fish to fry...especially for the next several months.

perfect 3 piece hunger buster
easterbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 08:18 AM   #56
exador
Banned

Quote:
BTW, how are 911 prices holding up?
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 08:21 AM   #57
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:

Ahhh now we see why you're not too excited for the upcoming price drop, you're holding the hot potatoes!
Old 5 April 2020, 08:25 AM   #58
sdwtchlvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
These same conversations were had about 12 years ago. I appreciate the discussion but seems silly considering. However the forum has grown in members considerably since those days so many don't recall.
sdwtchlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 08:48 AM   #59
myc ritz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Ahhh now we see why you're not too excited for the upcoming price drop, you're holding the hot potatoes!
Seems like you really, really like witnessing the fallout of a health crisis. If it takes a global pandemic for you to be able to acquire/afford watches, maybe you should find a new hobby big guy.
Old 5 April 2020, 09:05 AM   #60
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
like the OP i have a problem spending money and so in around jan of 2019 i decided to spend it all on watches. i figured even if i "lost" a little on the watches still better than blowing on god knows what plus i love watches and so alot of pleasure.

i bought a 116619lb, ap 15400st (white). 116660 (dssd), IWC big pilot and i already had a hulk at that time.

i sold out of them in september 2019 as i had a cash flow problem. prices had gone up alot however the actual sell price (selling to a second hand shop) was alot lower than one might envisage reading chrono24.

so it was a pretty neutral exercise for me in the end money wise.

the big lesson i learned was that chrono24 prices do not have a good relationship with reality. chrono24 tells you that your hulk is worth alot of $, but when you got the market it is very difficult to get those $. maybe this is especially the case in places like sydney where am i versus say a more dynamic market in the States.

anyway i still have that list of watches on chrono24 and today chrono24 tells me i haven't lost a cent. the truth is however that if i tried to sell i would be in dire straits.

OP - watches will soon be worth close to nothing. act accordingly!
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote