The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 19 May 2020, 03:32 AM   #1
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Question for GS owners comparing SS and titanium:

I’m seriously considering a grand Seiko but will first need to try on the various models I’m contemplating. Would love feedback on any of these:
SBGA413 and 415
SBGA211 and 259
SBGA387

Four of the five are titanium, but I’m very much open to the limited edition 387, depending on how heavy it wears.

My criteria:
1. Lightweight (hence Ti)
2. Tough, accurate, reliable movement with a good power reserve, and nothing out there beats the spring drive. I don’t care that it’s a hybrid movement that some feel isn’t worthy of spending that kind of money on. I disagree with those people.
3. Anti magnetic properties for when I have to travel for my job frequently.
4. Bracelet or rubber strap because I don’t want canvas or leather with Covid. Watch will need to be washed daily given what I do.
5. Dial legibility.

I’ve read some reviews where people say GS titanium scratches less easily their SS. I’ve also read the exact opposite — where one owner opines that he doesn’t wear his snowflake because it scratches too easily compared to SS.

Another factor: the case on the 211 and 259 seems to wear bigger than the 413 and 415, as well as 387.
Is that true ? My wrist is 6.5” so that’s a consideration.
I like the bracelets in pics but am disappointed that GS hasn’t developed a micro adjustment for them. I’m a bit spoiled with that with my hulk and Pepsi.

Looking forward to the feedback from owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 05:05 AM   #2
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I think you will find the movement definitely robust enough to handle most situations. I’m not very versed in its antimagnetic properties though. They make a watch which withstands something like 50000 gauss, but I’m not sure it comes in titanium. Gs scratches no matter what, but in my experience my titanium watches held up better. If you have a flat 6.5 inch wrist, than any of those cases would work great.
Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 10:54 AM   #3
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
It’s a matter of personal preference. I’m not personally crazy about the lightweight feel of. Titanium.

Some love it. It’s just not for me.

NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 12:12 PM   #4
Hosum
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS SBGA387
I have a 6.5" wrist and have worn the SBGA413, SBGA211 (SBGA011), and SBGA387. They all fit quite nicely. SBGA387's weight is similar to, if not slightly less, compared to my DJ41. Like Txkill mentioned above, I personally think any of those cases will do fine on your wrist assuming its pretty flat.

My collection has since shifted, but these are photos of how they wore on my wrist at certain points in time:

Hosum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 01:17 PM   #5
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I prefer their SS tbh. The snowflake didn’t stick with me. I like timeless and now boutique only gmt
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 06:37 PM   #6
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
I own the SBGA413 and if you see the lightness of titanium as an asset (some here equal weight with luxury), there could be hardly a better watch for you.

The only negative that I‘ve found is the lack of any luminous material on dial and hands
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 11:43 PM   #7
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosum View Post
I have a 6.5" wrist and have worn the SBGA413, SBGA211 (SBGA011), and SBGA387. They all fit quite nicely. SBGA387's weight is similar to, if not slightly less, compared to my DJ41. Like Txkill mentioned above, I personally think any of those cases will do fine on your wrist assuming its pretty flat.

My collection has since shifted, but these are photos of how they wore on my wrist at certain points in time:

Nice pics thanks. The snowflake appears to wear the largest of the 3 (just slightly). Both the 44GS of the 387 and the 62gs of the 413 seem to wear pretty well on you.
Regarding weight, I want light weight. I don’t want this watch to wear/feel like my hulk. I want it to be pretty much the opposite.

Old 19 May 2020, 11:45 PM   #8
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
I own the SBGA413 and if you see the lightness of titanium as an asset (some here equal weight with luxury), there could be hardly a better watch for you.

The only negative that I‘ve found is the lack of any luminous material on dial and hands

I absolutely see it as an asset.
Regarding the Lume — that concerns me only if the watch if hard to read in lower light conditions. I watched a video where it said the 211 and 387 were pretty easy to read in all types of lighting, despite the lack of lume. Is that the case for the 413?

Old 19 May 2020, 11:46 PM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaSubowner View Post
It’s a matter of personal preference. I’m not personally crazy about the lightweight feel of. Titanium.

I’m sort of the same
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 12:00 AM   #10
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:

A LOT of people associate light with cheap. Not everyone, but that's the psychology of it. Now, if you pick up a titanium Grand Seiko and the first thing that comes to mind is "cheap", I don't know what to tell you. That being said, I've got no problem with the weight of SS watches, and if I ever have the good fortune, I'll bag a PM one too.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 12:08 AM   #11
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
I absolutely see it as an asset.
Regarding the Lume — that concerns me only if the watch if hard to read in lower light conditions. I watched a video where it said the 211 and 387 were pretty easy to read in all types of lighting, despite the lack of lume. Is that the case for the 413?

I‘ve never had any issue reading the time under bad light conditions.

When I take my GS and feel how light it is, I am amazed how this can be possible.
Others have commented other sentiments above.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 01:09 AM   #12
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
I‘ve never had any issue reading the time under bad light conditions.

When I take my GS and feel how light it is, I am amazed how this can be possible.
Others have commented other sentiments above.

Thanks —that’s good to know. It must be the finishing of the hands that allows the watch to still have such good legibility without the need for much lume.
Also, it seems that the 62gs case of the 413 wears a bit slimmer for smaller wrists than the 44GS case

Old 20 May 2020, 02:09 AM   #13
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

For me, the difference in weight is negligible. These aren’t super massive 47 mm divers.... But, I do prefer SS for the brighter color and shine.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 09:49 AM   #14
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
A LOT of people associate light with cheap. Not everyone, but that's the psychology of it. Now, if you pick up a titanium Grand Seiko and the first thing that comes to mind is "cheap", I don't know what to tell you. That being said, I've got no problem with the weight of SS watches, and if I ever have the good fortune, I'll bag a PM one too.

Pickett. Don’t get me wrong. I never equated light with cheap in that statement. On the contrary the GS winter model mesmerized me. I just honestly prefer a little more heft on my wrist.

GS Titanium finish is beautiful and I’ve never seen a major brand bring the material to a kind of shine the way GS does. It’s just not for me. But that’s the beauty of this hobby. You still decide something isn’t to your liking but still appreciate the craftsmanship.

To the OP. I would think seriously about a 62GS case as it wears a little smaller then spec. To me the 44gs, and I wanted to love it because it is more iconic, wore too large.

But as I said. It’s all up to the wearers preference.

NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 11:55 AM   #15
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I tried on the snow flake. Beautiful dial but the light weight was a deal breaker for me!
I went to the sbga378 and can’t be happier!
Some people though like the light eight but it’s not for me!
Old 21 May 2020, 01:06 PM   #16
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
The SBGA413 is a fantastic watch that wears incredibly comfortably in the wrist. It’s lightweight, in a good way.

The legibility is excellent in pretty much all non-pitch-black settings. The hands are so finely finished that even the slightest bit of light allows the hands to reveal themselves to let you see the time.

The case size, to me, is perfect. I didn’t bond with the larger GS cases with broader lugs, (side note, the 44mm SBGE245 is a joy to wear as well).

But for the non-diver GS watches, while many of the 44 Gs case watches are great, I find the case on the Seasons watches to be a perfect balance of size and elegance, presence and refinement. Similar to a 5 digit Rolex case.

I highly recommend this watch.

Old 22 May 2020, 06:38 AM   #17
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Pickett. Don’t get me wrong. I never equated light with cheap in that statement. On the contrary the GS winter model mesmerized me. I just honestly prefer a little more heft on my wrist.

GS Titanium finish is beautiful and I’ve never seen a major brand bring the material to a kind of shine the way GS does. It’s just not for me. But that’s the beauty of this hobby. You still decide something isn’t to your liking but still appreciate the craftsmanship.

To the OP. I would think seriously about a 62GS case as it wears a little smaller then spec. To me the 44gs, and I wanted to love it because it is more iconic, wore too large.

But as I said. It’s all up to the wearers preference.

That’s helpful thanks. Looking forward to trying them on but if what you’re saying holds true for me, it will mean my options are the SBGA 413 and 415

Old 22 May 2020, 06:40 AM   #18
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Looks amazing in that pic. And I hear the 413 looks even better in person. Did you consider the 415?

Old 22 May 2020, 11:30 AM   #19
kevn00
"TRF" Member

the 413 case is really nice. i really like the proportions vs the sbgh269 i tried on. The lugs felt nicer than the longer lugs. I never went for the snowflake because of the larger case. I do wish they made a bracelet with microadjustments but i like to wear my watches loosely. All of my watches scratch, no matter the material.

Sometimes i do have a tough time reading the 413 because its so shiny and the pink dial and hands do blend together. I was torn between the 415 and 413 but they didnt even have the winter dial when i went to buy. The pink dial looks very different on lighting and angling.

the weight difference is very very noticeable but some days i prefer the titanium weight and some days i prefer ss.

have you considered how the date change will affect your decision
kevn00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2020, 02:20 PM   #20
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevn00 View Post
the 413 case is really nice. i really like the proportions vs the sbgh269 i tried on. The lugs felt nicer than the longer lugs. I never went for the snowflake because of the larger case. I do wish they made a bracelet with microadjustments but i like to wear my watches loosely. All of my watches scratch, no matter the material.

Sometimes i do have a tough time reading the 413 because its so shiny and the pink dial and hands do blend together. I was torn between the 415 and 413 but they didnt even have the winter dial when i went to buy. The pink dial looks very different on lighting and angling.

the weight difference is very very noticeable but some days i prefer the titanium weight and some days i prefer ss.

have you considered how the date change will affect your decision
How the date change will affect my decision? I'm confused....... are they changing the date placement?
I am a little concerned about dial legibility on the 413 or 415. The 211 seems to be better in that regard, but I'm not crazy about the case, for the reasons you mentioned.

And finally, yeah the lack of micro adjustment is an irritation, to be honest. I've read reviews by individuals who said they just couldn't get a good fit with the bracelet and the lack of an adjustment drove them crazy.
Not sure that's a deal breaker though. Need to try them all on
Old 22 May 2020, 11:26 PM   #21
kevn00
"TRF" Member

i wouldve preferred to have the date change immediately instead of the slow gradual change.

There are times where i do second guess not getting the snowflake. if they ever make a snowflake in a smaller case like the 413/415, i just might have to swap. the legibility of the white dial and blue seconds hands is superb.

but with all that said i love my 413. im glad i went for it.
kevn00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 01:49 AM   #22
Legacy
"TRF" Member

I prefer the light weight of titanium and enjoy not having the weight of the watch twisting on my wrist. Both seem to scratch about the same.
Keep in mind that titanium is more gray while stainless steel is brighter silver. You should see both in person before making a decision.
Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 05:54 AM   #23
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
I prefer the light weight of titanium and enjoy not having the weight of the watch twisting on my wrist. Both seem to scratch about the same.
Keep in mind that titanium is more gray while stainless steel is brighter silver. You should see both in person before making a decision.
the greyer hue of titanium doesn't bother me at all. I think it's a nice contrast to the dials.
I love lightweight and have 2 SS Rolex's so I want something different that can be an under the radar watch for travel and daily use and resistant to magnetic fields (spring drive)
Old 29 May 2020, 05:04 AM   #24
wcl884
"TRF" Member

I"m shopping for SBGA413 as well - can anyone share the weight with bracelet and head-only?

TIA.
wcl884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 01:33 AM   #25
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I absolutely adore my SBGA281, a titanium springdrive. It is merely 86g and it is so comfortable on the wrist. When I'm having a bad day, I tend to look at the dial and the sharp dauphine hands for some moment of zen (the spring drive sweep works for me!).
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 04:56 AM   #26
wcl884
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I absolutely adore my SBGA281, a titanium springdrive. It is merely 86g and it is so comfortable on the wrist. When I'm having a bad day, I tend to look at the dial and the sharp dauphine hands for some moment of zen (the spring drive sweep works for me!).
Thank You for the weight spec on TI. This should be my lightest watch on bracelet yet - currently the Omega Seamaster Aluminum is 94 grams, and Hamilton Aviation Pioneer Aluminum is 62 grams on Nato.

My intention is the same with the SBGA413 dial - should cheer me up when I have a stressful day. Or at least the sweeping second will allow me to zone out a bit.
wcl884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 11:25 PM   #27
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My criteria:

I’ve read some reviews where people say GS titanium scratches less easily their SS. I’ve also read the exact opposite — where one owner opines that he doesn’t wear his snowflake because it scratches too easily compared to SS.

Another factor: the case on the 211 and 259 seems to wear bigger than the 413 and 415, as well as 387.
Is that true ? My wrist is 6.5” so that’s a consideration.
I like the bracelets in pics but am disappointed that GS hasn’t developed a micro adjustment for them. I’m a bit spoiled with that with my hulk and Pepsi.

Looking forward to the feedback from owners.

Not trying to be negative, but GS sounds like it is not for you!

Lightweight and accurate... absolutely. However, the bracelet is awful, you are right about that. The finishing, polishing and refinements of these watches really make them so great. If you will be wearing the watch in the circumstances you mentioned, those features will tarnish VERY quickly and you will never get them back. The Ti scratches VERY easily. I owned a ln sbga011 and an sbgh205. The 205 had WAY to much polishing on the case (mainly on the lugs). Was terrified to wear it. It was also top heavy and without micro adjustments, just never had a good fit.

The sbga011 was amazing. It was a tad too big on the wrist (looked great, but slightly off). As special as it was, I didn’t love wearing it. If I had the means to keep watches just to keep them, it would have stayed. However, I own watches I wear, and the snowflake helped fund other pieces.

If they introduce 39mm Ti Spring Drive releases in the future, I would definitely be interested (I think there are a few LE models currently, not sure). Until then, I will wait.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 01:48 AM   #28
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brny11 View Post
Not trying to be negative, but GS sounds like it is not for you!

Lightweight and accurate... absolutely. However, the bracelet is awful, you are right about that. The finishing, polishing and refinements of these watches really make them so great. If you will be wearing the watch in the circumstances you mentioned, those features will tarnish VERY quickly and you will never get them back. The Ti scratches VERY easily. I owned a ln sbga011 and an sbgh205. The 205 had WAY to much polishing on the case (mainly on the lugs). Was terrified to wear it. It was also top heavy and without micro adjustments, just never had a good fit.

The sbga011 was amazing. It was a tad too big on the wrist (looked great, but slightly off). As special as it was, I didn’t love wearing it. If I had the means to keep watches just to keep them, it would have stayed. However, I own watches I wear, and the snowflake helped fund other pieces.

If they introduce 39mm Ti Spring Drive releases in the future, I would definitely be interested (I think there are a few LE models currently, not sure). Until then, I will wait.
Interesting post Brian. thanks for the feedback.
It's curious to me how some say the Ti scratches less or about the same as SS, while others (including you) seem to think it's actually a bigger scratch magnet.

I really want a white dial watch whose dial isn't boring (hence the SBGA211 or 259), wears light, and is incredibly accurate. The snowflake is the only watch that fits that bill.

But, if I hear you right, you don't think it will NOT be a good daily for me b/c:
1. Poor bracelet fit given the lack of micro adjustment
2. It's a scratch magnet, therefore not suitable for daily use
3. Being Ti, it will make polishing it more difficult when it's time to do so
4. Fit for a smaller wrist-- hence better to wait for a 39mm watch (assuming that ever happens)
Old 3 June 2020, 09:43 PM   #29
bleighs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711 CHNR
I've had the sbga011 for about 4 years and it's super light, it will definitely feel different and I think in a good way. I have a 6.5 wrist also and it's a liiiittle bit big but nobody will notice it. The spring drive movement ticks your boxes for antimagnetism.
As for scratches, I think it's about the same as SS. I wore mine very carefully and don't wear it while typing, but after 4 years there are still many micro scratches on it. I would not say it's better than SS.
bleighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 09:49 PM   #30
bleighs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711 CHNR
Quote:
How the date change will affect my decision? I'm confused....... are they changing the date placement?
The date changes gradually after 11pm until midnight. Rolex owners have been spoiled with the quick change datejust system. You will notice it maybe twice a month, since you're not always looking at your watch between 11pm to midnight, but it is something to know.
bleighs is offline   Reply With Quote