The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 July 2021, 05:47 AM   #1
Deepseadog
Banned

Watch: 126660 279160
Planet Ocean 600m Chronograph

Hello all, potentially making the jump from Rolex to Omega. Currently have a Deepsea 126660, but looking for something a bit more robust like a 215.30.46.51.01.001. Would love to see some comparison shots. The Deepsea feels & looks a bit undersized at times and the bracelet appears thin in comparison to the case. Curious to see a PO bracelet in comparison.
Deepseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 01:30 PM   #2
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Here are two shots I took some time ago. Switched positions to account for optics and optical illusion PO obviously wears quite a bit bigger, and if I had to choose I’d probably keep the PO. I like them both a lot though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 99B62A73-CF68-4BF0-B7EF-E92D74F6D0DE.jpeg (248.6 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpeg DBC0037C-FF30-4607-82B9-368193CA5B72.jpeg (243.6 KB, 209 views)

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 09:08 PM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Both are cool watches and it would be nice to have both in a collection. I would find it difficult to give up the DSSD though if you were only going to have one.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 09:28 PM   #4
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amochosto View Post
Here are two shots I took some time ago. Switched positions to account for optics and optical illusion
How? I'm amazed to be honest.

I've never seen this like this before in all these years.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 03:52 AM   #5
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Excellent comparison shots! What a dream duo, luckily I own the Blue version of the Planet Ocean Chronograph. Would love that Deepsea as well!
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 07:00 AM   #6
Deepseadog
Banned

Watch: 126660 279160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amochosto View Post
Here are two shots I took some time ago. Switched positions to account for optics and optical illusion PO obviously wears quite a bit bigger, and if I had to choose I’d probably keep the PO. I like them both a lot though.
Thank you for the side-by-sides

Since you have both, any thoughts on the bracelet? Is the PO bracelet thicker than the DSSD bracelet? And even though the PO is 45.5 and the DSSD 44, do you feel it wears similarly or quite a bit larger?
Deepseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 02:01 PM   #7
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepseadog View Post
Thank you for the side-by-sides

Since you have both, any thoughts on the bracelet? Is the PO bracelet thicker than the DSSD bracelet? And even though the PO is 45.5 and the DSSD 44, do you feel it wears similarly or quite a bit larger?
Honestly the Rolex DSSD clasp is the best one I’ve ever seen adjusting it without opening the clasp is living the dream! The Omega clasp is fine, arguably better than the normal Rolex Glidelock. I prefer the Rolex way of opening the clasp by pulling up on the end,rather than pressing buttons on the side.

I find the DSSD is always banging into things that my other watches miss. I must move around the world with reasonably fine tolerances because the DSSD is only a couple of mm thicker than a few of my other watches that don’t take such a beating at all. The PO is 1.5 mm thicker than the DSSD! So yeah it does wear bigger, but the diameter is less of a difference than the height. Honestly it is not that significant though both are big, but almost elegantly so. There are other watches that look and feel more absurdly big even though their measurements may not be any bigger than these.

I suspect the PO’s bracelet is heavier and less tapered than the DSSD, but both watches wear comfortably on my wrist. Both watches can easily be expanded to fit over a wetsuit if you need to.

All in all to me the PO does it all. It has a depth rating deep enough that no one has ever survived outside of a submarine, it has a chronograph you can start stop and reset underwater. The chronograph also has an hour and a 60 minute hand, so you can use it as a second time zone as if it was a GMT watch, and the large hour hand can move in hour increments with the watch still running so you can easily set the time during travel or daylight savings without needing to re set the whole watch. And in my experience with three METAS Omega watches, and quite a few late model Rolexes. The METAS Omegas will on average be more accurate in their timekeeping.

The dial is a shiny ceramic with silver painted indices that are easy to read and beautifully shiny.

The DSSD has a better bracelet and clasp I perceive the lume to be better, and since mine’s the James Cameron, it also has a unique and awesome dial. I also really like the look of the ring-lock in person, having hated it in photos, and it has that classic Rolex all around look, but it is somewhat less functionally versatile than the PO.

I think both are keepers.

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 10:53 PM   #8
realmiti
"TRF" Member

You know, you can use its functionality as GMT too.
realmiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 11:26 AM   #9
tvandevelde
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
The PO doesn't wear nearly as large as the DSSD in my opinion. Love the chrono in titanium on a strap.
tvandevelde is offline   Reply With Quote