The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 April 2021, 03:00 AM   #1
BespokebyBMO
Banned

Your Collecting Thought Processes

Wondering what some of your thought processes are when buying new Rolexes. Are there any details that you look for, milestones you celebrate with a purchase or watch specific characteristics that make you pull the trigger?

I currently have two Rolexes (have had a few prior), the first was to celebrate a promotion (OP 41) and the second was coming across a blue dial DJ 41 that had the warranty card dated on my oldest son’s birthday. I probably wouldn’t have pulled the trigger on the DJ 41 when I did, but I plan to some day give my son that watch so I didn’t want to miss that chance. Maybe naive or stupid, but I always look for warranty cards dated on my kids birthdays. Not that I wouldn’t add pieces that don’t meet that criteria, but something I keep my eye on.
BespokebyBMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2021, 03:03 AM   #2
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
If I like it I buy it if I don’t I sell pretty simple process for me :)
JSolution is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2021, 03:06 AM   #3
bp1000
"TRF" Member

No specific reasons for me really. I know weddings, anniversaries, births, milestones are popular reasons.

For me, I just buy what I love, I have a theme, mainly chronographs, mostly interesting dials or design, generally 40mm and under.

So whenever something with a bit of character comes a long, I try it on and when you know you know, it gets added.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2021, 03:06 AM   #4
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I buy what I like when I see it
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2021, 03:20 AM   #5
The Kermit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub16610LV /OP/GMT
If I like a watch I would buy it
Old 4 April 2021, 04:26 AM   #6
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

For big milestones I do enjoy looking for a nice treat as a tangible reminder. Doesn’t have to be a watch. If it is, then fine. If not, many other things besides Rolex that I enjoy.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2021, 04:43 AM   #7
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

I don't buy watches to celebrate a specific thing. I gain huge satisfaction by working hard and diligently saving the money to buy one watch a year.
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 02:28 AM   #8
EdwardNorton1963
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BespokebyBMO View Post
Wondering what some of your thought processes are when buying new Rolexes. Are there any details that you look for, milestones you celebrate with a purchase or watch specific characteristics that make you pull the trigger?

I currently have two Rolexes (have had a few prior), the first was to celebrate a promotion (OP 41) and the second was coming across a blue dial DJ 41 that had the warranty card dated on my oldest son’s birthday. I probably wouldn’t have pulled the trigger on the DJ 41 when I did, but I plan to some day give my son that watch so I didn’t want to miss that chance. Maybe naive or stupid, but I always look for warranty cards dated on my kids birthdays. Not that I wouldn’t add pieces that don’t meet that criteria, but something I keep my eye on.
Im currently looking to add another Rolex to my collection, and I defintley feel the struggle you are experienceing. When I was looking for my Air-King 114234 I had to do some research because it needs to meet more than just my criteria. "One of the most attractive (and certainly underrated) features of the reference 114234 Air-King was its occasional use of lilac and pink Super-LumiNova batons." https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...ing-guide.html
I honestly think with every Rolex I have there is a weird aspect about it that I just love, and during the research I found out the last reason I would need to pick this beauty up. Other than something random, I do enjoy the regular things such as production year in relation to my birth year. I hope you find that perfect watch!
EdwardNorton1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 02:39 AM   #9
Brew
"TRF" Member

If I'm obsessed about a watch and decide to buy, I then wait a month to make sure. Buyer's remorse is an expensive luxury I can't afford to let ruin my purchases.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 02:49 AM   #10
RayRay89
"TRF" Member

If I like it and it holds value...ring it up!
RayRay89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 03:03 AM   #11
Master_Grogu
Banned

I just buy the shiny thing that catches my attention. If I get bored with it I sell it, otherwise if I love it it goes to my wrist.

For the rarer ones, that aren’t produced in the thousands, I keep them secure and will probably either sell them via Phillips in 20-30 years.
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 03:09 AM   #12
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

It has to be good enough to get wrist time compared too the other watches, so the bar keeps getting higher.

Ideally it looks completely different. So e.g. price considerations aside, I would prefer a Royal Oak rather than a second Day Date or Date Just.

And of course, no thread beats the epic jorgeccw thread in the patek subforum following the collection revamps.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 03:41 AM   #13
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
If I'm obsessed about a watch and decide to buy, I then wait a month to make sure. Buyer's remorse is an expensive luxury I can't afford to let ruin my purchases.
well said! I do the same...I always do my research and never by a watch on a whim...
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote