The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 11 April 2021, 11:47 AM   #1
BDII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126710 BLRO
Speedmaster Scam

Hey guys, I've been at this for a few years now, and the scammers finally got me. The worst part is, the watch wasn't for me, but was helping my older buddy with it. I ran all the references and everything checked out, but the guy only took bank wire. I told my friend I don't send unsecured money unless I know them or they are a well known seller, but he decided he was comfortable with it... Sent the money and seller disappeared.

I'm obviously ticked, but also impressed at how good these guys have gotten. He had multiple TRF accounts, so he could provide references for himself, and the outside reference he gave me was to some manager of a tire dealer. You could see his name and email right there on the website.

He also actually has the Speedmaster. He'll send you timestamps with his and your username with the watch, but just won't ship it.

The account was rc1305us (which mods banned) and WatchGuy428. As I've rea

Be careful out there if you are buying a previous generation big box speedy.
BDII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 11:15 PM   #2
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Sadly another person scammed bc they sent a box of 100 dollar bills to a seller and now have no recourse . Once again even if you have to pay fees as a buyer use a CC. How simple is that ?? If seller says no , fine, you are the one w the money! just go to the next seller. OP sorry to hear about your friend. - hope this might a lesson to others.james in San Antonio Tx
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 11:33 PM   #3
pandrew6l
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

But you failed to stop your old buddy !!
pandrew6l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 04:55 AM   #4
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
WIRE is a four-letter word as far as I am concerned.
We see this scam here over and over.
Unfortunately it is a very easy-to-perpetrate one.
Being careful can still bite one. Just as BDII stated, precautions were even taken up front.
Too bad your buddy got scammed. That has got to hurt.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 09:32 PM   #5
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Yea I was talking to a guy about a watch and one of references is a guy on here with 1 post... I’m out game over.....
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 11:49 PM   #6
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Was the bank notified of the fraudulent wire transfer? If, for some reason he used his actual bank account it will be an easy investigation for law enforcement. You can also file a civil suit if they’re in the US. I wouldn’t just take it without fighting back
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 05:03 AM   #7
pranavthandu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116613
Hi I wanted to revive this thread since I almost fell prey to the same scam! The main thing that stopped me from going through with the deal was finding this thread by accident.

I saw several similarities between the OP's experience and my own. The new username that the scammer is using is autojewels.

If anyone knows how to alert moderators about potential scammers please let me know as I'm new to the forum and don't quite know my way around yet.
pranavthandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 06:44 AM   #8
LeDandy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cellini 5115
Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
…. Once again even if you have to pay fees as a buyer use a CC. How simple is that ??
Absolutely!!! Wiring, on the buyer’s end, is simply foolish. But some people never learn.
LeDandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 06:57 AM   #9
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavthandu View Post
Hi I wanted to revive this thread since I almost fell prey to the same scam! The main thing that stopped me from going through with the deal was finding this thread by accident.

I saw several similarities between the OP's experience and my own. The new username that the scammer is using is autojewels.

If anyone knows how to alert moderators about potential scammers please let me know as I'm new to the forum and don't quite know my way around yet.
Use the red triangle icon in the lower left hand corner of the message/post.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 07:00 AM   #10
pranavthandu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116613
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
Use the red triangle icon in the lower left hand corner of the message/post.

He deleted the post a day after he posted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pranavthandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 01:53 PM   #11
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
I still don’t get why people use bank wire. Cc or PayPal for me. Any extra payment of fees is worth it for me to have that peace on mind. I once used Apple Cash to buy a pair of sneakers and it was a scam so I’m out $200 but now a lot wiser for a minor hit. Lesson learned and never again using a payment method that doesn’t have solid recourse.
zaydans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2021, 03:18 PM   #12
havingagoodtime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 / 16570
I appreciate the detailed account of how this scam went down. We all need to be vigilant and do more due diligence than ever before. The crooks are getting better and better. I got taken for $450 last summer in a FB group from a seller in the UK. Just when I thought I knew better.... Every day is a learning experience. Be safe!!
havingagoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 07:12 AM   #13
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Interesting to me - if you don’t want to get scammed as a buyer - simple! Just use AMX or CC for payment- every other solution is just noise. If you want a sure protection, just do this - if you want proof just - show me one situation with someone scammed on this forum that couldn’t have been prevented if buyer used CC - show me one. Of course I would check out seller to the best of my ability ( common sense) then pay ONLY by CC ( common sense) . Just hope this might save one person from making a very expensive mistake.
Old 23 August 2021, 02:24 PM   #14
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
OP, thanks for sharing. How about report all the fake accounts so they can be banned as well.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2021, 11:26 PM   #15
Progress8
"TRF" Member

I was scammed by someone purporting to sell a Speedmaster with a warranty card from 2019. I also was provided an excellent reference from a TRF member for this scammer. Has anyone received a reference from a TRF member via PM?

I believe this "seller" is phishing user information of longtime time members and then using their accounts for the scam.

ETA: Also, I reported the PM to admins but haven't received any response. Does anyone else know how I can stop this user from doing this again? I believe this user is complicit with the ploy.
Progress8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2021, 12:52 AM   #16
Chris
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progress8 View Post
I was scammed by someone purporting to sell a Speedmaster with a warranty card from 2019. I also was provided an excellent reference from a TRF member for this scammer. Has anyone received a reference from a TRF member via PM?

I believe this "seller" is phishing user information of longtime time members and then using their accounts for the scam.

ETA: Also, I reported the PM to admins but haven't received any response. Does anyone else know how I can stop this user from doing this again? I believe this user is complicit with the ploy.
You must be really unfortunate, 1 month in you've been scammed, and only 1 post to your credit.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2021, 05:38 AM   #17
Progress8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You must be really unfortunate, 1 month in you've been scammed, and only 1 post to your credit.
The listing was on WatchNet but the reference, I was told, was to come via TRF, hence why I joined the forum. The reference came from a member with a join date in 2008.
Old 26 August 2021, 08:34 AM   #18
tike71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progress8 View Post
The listing was on WatchNet but the reference, I was told, was to come via TRF, hence why I joined the forum. The reference came from a member with a join date in 2008.
Did you wire the funds? You should post who you wired to so people doing their due diligence can get results from google.
Old 26 August 2021, 12:16 PM   #19
Progress8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tike71 View Post
Did you wire the funds? You should post who you wired to so people doing their due diligence can get results from google.
No, Zelle. Comedy of errors on my part.
Old 27 August 2021, 12:09 AM   #20
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Zelle is same as wire - no protection:-(