The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 July 2021, 10:43 AM   #1
thecrownprince
"TRF" Member

Two Tone Sky Dweller owners please Chime in!

Hey guys, I’m thinking about getting a white dial SkyD two tone. Can anyone with that watch please post some photos / wrist shots? I’d be happy with a black dial version too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
thecrownprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 01:55 PM   #2
S1mplee
"TRF" Member

I have been offered the black version on jubilee and it is a beautiful piece. It however does not fit my lifestyle currently and I already have a stainless black dial on oyster. If it was TT on white dial I would’ve probably said yes.
S1mplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 02:25 PM   #3
thecrownprince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1mplee View Post
I have been offered the black version on jubilee and it is a beautiful piece. It however does not fit my lifestyle currently and I already have a stainless black dial on oyster. If it was TT on white dial I would’ve probably said yes.

I think the two tone on white dial is better as well. That the one I’m considering as the white dial is shimmery and almost a pearl color which I love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
thecrownprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 04:23 PM   #4
Master_Grogu
Banned

I remember trying it in Berlin, and was surprised by two things.

1) Sky-D is big. Looks like you zoomed on a date just.
2) Two Tone was very loud. Definitely on par with 126613LB in terms of visual noise.
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 09:58 PM   #5
SteveD15
2024 Pledge Member

I love the TT SkyD. Not as flashy as you would think. Also love the white dial. Almost like an eggshell finish and contrasts nicely with the GMT ring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4E3A2577 (1).jpeg (48.4 KB, 720 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0115.jpeg (83.6 KB, 717 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0120.jpeg (140.1 KB, 717 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0159.jpeg (105.8 KB, 718 views)
SteveD15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 10:47 PM   #6
ROBERT1183
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX SOON
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD15 View Post
I love the TT SkyD. Not as flashy as you would think. Also love the white dial. Almost like an eggshell finish and contrasts nicely with the GMT ring.
Great shots!! Going off those I would be sold on one lol
ROBERT1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 11:26 PM   #7
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

In early 2019 is decided to get a SS black Sky Dweller. My AD was not able to accommodate me, even by putting me on a list. They expected one black SS a year and as things stood, the list was many years long and they had closed it.

They said they were expecting a black SS and a white SS per year, and two blue SS. This made the blue SS twice as common as the other SS models and plentiful compared to the one TT they got per year, but demand for the blue SS was so high that it gave the appearance of it being the most unobtainable model - whereas it is actually the most common.

They had a TT Champagne model in the vault and I tried it on. This was enough to convince me that I really wanted a Sky Dweller but there was far too much gold for me on this particular model. It's big compared to the average Rolex but it's not a big watch. I opted for a black TT model. My AD expected to get one TT a year and it usually cycled through each dial. They were expecting a white one next and a black one after that. I put my name down for the next TT black and waited.

Fast forward to December 2019 and for the second time in less than 12 months, Rolex were raising their UK prices. This caused me to reappraise my Sky Dweller plan and I concluded that the model I wanted most of all was still the black SS. Since the grey market was likely to increase on the back of the MSRP hike, I decided that now would be a good time to grab one on the grey market. I already had the funds put aside for my TT Black, and these covered the cost of the SS black at prevailing market prices. The SS model went up £1450 in Jan '20, a significant jump. By then I had picked this up for not a huge amount more than the new RRP.

My love for my new watch became a fascination with the Sky Dweller. I was awe struck by what actually came out of the box, in style, quality, functionality, wearing comfort, user friendliness and sheer cleverness. I love that it can fly under the radar and be mistaken for a DJ (or even some some generic Rolex or knock off). And it didn't take me long to start thinking about adding a TT model.

The white dial SS, lovely though it is, doesn't appeal all that much to me because the white gold dial furniture doesn't contrast and stand out enough for me. But make the hands and indices YG or RG and now we're talking. My back brain had already selected the white TT Sky Dweller before my front brain told me to start putting the funds aside. As things stood in 2020, the grey premium on the white TT was marginal and sufferable.

Fast forward to July 2020 and I'm at my AD, by appointment, talking to the Rolex buyer though a screen with a slot in it. My wife's Z-Blue had packed up and I was dropping it off for a warranty repair. I asked, not for the first time, if I could go on their BLRO list. He said they had just had a bumper allocation delivered and he thought he might be able to shake one loose for me. I nearly fainted! What actually appeared was a BLNR and good though it looked (better than I imagined it would from photos) my heart was set on the BLRO. So I passed.

I asked him just how good the allocation had been. He said that many phone calls were being made and there were more than an average number of delighted customers heading in. They had even received two blue SS Sky Dwellers. He'd never seen two in a batch before and two local customers were jumping for joy that day. I told him that if by any chance they had received a TT white one I'd like it, at which point he laughed, vanished and came back with this.

I love it even more than my black SS. It's beautiful. And it's a bit more legible than the black dial. The dial will go through flat white, cream, light grey and a glittering, speckled metallic white which looks like a snow globe, depending on how the light hits it. It is very difficult not to just put it straight on whenever I'm grabbing a watch. And if the white one doesn't get grabbed, the black one usually does. I like to think that I still rotate all my watches, and strictly speaking I do, but some get rotated more than others.

And the journey continues. I visited my AD again last week to confirm that I can order a Jubilee bracelet for my TT Sky Dweller in 2022. As soon as it goes onto the price list I will get the call. I think the TT will look particularly good on a Jubilee, and I can (and probably will) rotate the bracelets.

If you have the funds and the will and the wrist size, mine is 6.5", I earnestly advise you to check one out. It may not sing to you. I bet it will.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 06:38 AM   #8
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Grogu View Post
I remember trying it in Berlin, and was surprised by two things.

1) Sky-D is big. Looks like you zoomed on a date just.
2) Two Tone was very loud. Definitely on par with 126613LB in terms of visual noise.
Sounds great to me.
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 01:36 PM   #9
Alfa2109
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16500LN White Dial
I owned the TT white dial and then sold it to fund another purchase. But I really missed it. So I recently bought it again. No regrets. Love the TT in the SKYD and think the white dial is the most beautiful of the three options. (MHO.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1E4DE7E4-1C77-4FCC-B7F8-AE29D46A5904.jpeg (95.3 KB, 591 views)
File Type: jpeg F108E952-8E08-4EAB-B3FF-0C061C43F821.jpeg (89.9 KB, 595 views)

6329, 6175, 116506, 326934 (blue), 126719BLRO (meteorite), 1803 (coral stella), AP 26860ST (blue)
Alfa2109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 09:00 AM   #10
Kawirider
"TRF" Member

Yay finally a thread I can help out with. Lol. I’ve had both the black 2 tone and now currently the white. The black sunburst dial is more sporty and in my eyes makes the gold pop more. But, there’s a reason I traded for the white. The white is constantly changing colors which makes it fun. I can’t explain it but with the white, it just looks like a classic but clean look.

Either way you can’t go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kawirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 10:49 AM   #11
rrags
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP39, SS Daytona
I have been offered the TT white version on oyster by my AD and will be looking at it soon. I have 6.5" wrists and am curious for those with similar size wrists how it wears and feels?

Thanks
rrags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 11:04 AM   #12
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

It wears good on my 6.5" wrist and feels all day comfortable.

With both my SS and TT Sky Dwellers, a bit of remedial fiddling about was required to make the bracelet fit me just right. I moved a link from 6 to 12 (or possibly the other way round) and had a few goes on the micro adjuster for both watches. They now fit absolutely perfectly.

You'll know when you see it. The white looks big but doesn't wear as big as it looks - on me.
Old 27 January 2022, 11:07 AM   #13
rrags
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
It wears good on my 6.5" wrist and feels all day comfortable.

With both my SS and TT Sky Dwellers, a bit of remedial fiddling about was required to make the bracelet fit me just right. I moved a link from 6 to 12 (or possibly the other way round) and had a few goes on the micro adjuster for both watches. They now fit absolutely perfectly.

You'll know when you see it. The white looks big but doesn't wear as big as it looks - on me.
Thanks for the information. I tried to send you a PM the other day but I'm not sure it went through.
Old 27 January 2022, 11:14 AM   #14
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
In early 2019 is decided to get a SS black Sky Dweller. My AD was not able to accommodate me, even by putting me on a list. They expected one black SS a year and as things stood, the list was many years long and they had closed it.

They said they were expecting a black SS and a white SS per year, and two blue SS. This made the blue SS twice as common as the other SS models and plentiful compared to the one TT they got per year, but demand for the blue SS was so high that it gave the appearance of it being the most unobtainable model - whereas it is actually the most common.

They had a TT Champagne model in the vault and I tried it on. This was enough to convince me that I really wanted a Sky Dweller but there was far too much gold for me on this particular model. It's big compared to the average Rolex but it's not a big watch. I opted for a black TT model. My AD expected to get one TT a year and it usually cycled through each dial. They were expecting a white one next and a black one after that. I put my name down for the next TT black and waited.

Fast forward to December 2019 and for the second time in less than 12 months, Rolex were raising their UK prices. This caused me to reappraise my Sky Dweller plan and I concluded that the model I wanted most of all was still the black SS. Since the grey market was likely to increase on the back of the MSRP hike, I decided that now would be a good time to grab one on the grey market. I already had the funds put aside for my TT Black, and these covered the cost of the SS black at prevailing market prices. The SS model went up £1450 in Jan '20, a significant jump. By then I had picked this up for not a huge amount more than the new RRP.

My love for my new watch became a fascination with the Sky Dweller. I was awe struck by what actually came out of the box, in style, quality, functionality, wearing comfort, user friendliness and sheer cleverness. I love that it can fly under the radar and be mistaken for a DJ (or even some some generic Rolex or knock off). And it didn't take me long to start thinking about adding a TT model.

The white dial SS, lovely though it is, doesn't appeal all that much to me because the white gold dial furniture doesn't contrast and stand out enough for me. But make the hands and indices YG or RG and now we're talking. My back brain had already selected the white TT Sky Dweller before my front brain told me to start putting the funds aside. As things stood in 2020, the grey premium on the white TT was marginal and sufferable.

Fast forward to July 2020 and I'm at my AD, by appointment, talking to the Rolex buyer though a screen with a slot in it. My wife's Z-Blue had packed up and I was dropping it off for a warranty repair. I asked, not for the first time, if I could go on their BLRO list. He said they had just had a bumper allocation delivered and he thought he might be able to shake one loose for me. I nearly fainted! What actually appeared was a BLNR and good though it looked (better than I imagined it would from photos) my heart was set on the BLRO. So I passed.

I asked him just how good the allocation had been. He said that many phone calls were being made and there were more than an average number of delighted customers heading in. They had even received two blue SS Sky Dwellers. He'd never seen two in a batch before and two local customers were jumping for joy that day. I told him that if by any chance they had received a TT white one I'd like it, at which point he laughed, vanished and came back with this.

I love it even more than my black SS. It's beautiful. And it's a bit more legible than the black dial. The dial will go through flat white, cream, light grey and a glittering, speckled metallic white which looks like a snow globe, depending on how the light hits it. It is very difficult not to just put it straight on whenever I'm grabbing a watch. And if the white one doesn't get grabbed, the black one usually does. I like to think that I still rotate all my watches, and strictly speaking I do, but some get rotated more than others.

And the journey continues. I visited my AD again last week to confirm that I can order a Jubilee bracelet for my TT Sky Dweller in 2022. As soon as it goes onto the price list I will get the call. I think the TT will look particularly good on a Jubilee, and I can (and probably will) rotate the bracelets.

If you have the funds and the will and the wrist size, mine is 6.5", I earnestly advise you to check one out. It may not sing to you. I bet it will.
Heads up. I bought an extra bracelet for my TT DJ41, I recommend that you are seated when that call comes in. The price for that bracelet is staggering.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 03:16 PM   #15
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Skydwelli
I got the black dial oyster TT. It’s got huge wrist presence can’t go wrong ������
nosignalbmwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 08:43 PM   #16
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrags View Post
Thanks for the information. I tried to send you a PM the other day but I'm not sure it went through.
I'm pants at reading my PMs. Sorry.
Old 28 January 2022, 08:50 PM   #17
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
Heads up. I bought an extra bracelet for my TT DJ41, I recommend that you are seated when that call comes in. The price for that bracelet is staggering.
Thank you for the warning. I don't think it's going to be inexpensive but TBH I have no idea what the actual price will be.

I was originally going to check in with my AD this month, but my desire to get a TT Jubilee has waned somewhat because I am now on the list for a SS Jubilee blue. It will take a long time to come in, but at least I now have the option of evaluating the Jubilee Sky Dweller without spending extra.

If my AD engages again about the TT bracelet I will resume the quest - while sitting down.
Old 28 January 2022, 10:54 PM   #18
sideswipe
"TRF" Member

Awesome thread, awesome watches, you all have great taste ;)

I've had my eye on the SD for quite some time and finally pulled the trigger this month. My choice? The TT champagne dial on Jubilee.

sideswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2022, 01:01 AM   #19
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
It's one of the best looking watches I've tried on in recent years. Just a beautiful watch. (White dial)

I would've bought it, but sadly, I was there to pick up another watch I'd just bought and didn't want to tack 17k on to the day's purchases...and it was Christmas, lol.

Been kicking myself ever since.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 09:50 AM   #20
rrags
"TRF" Member

I did end up purchasing the TT white model I was offered after I looked at it. It should arrive tomorrow.
Old 1 February 2022, 09:57 AM   #21
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post

I've had my eye on the SD for quite some time and finally pulled the trigger this month. My choice? The TT champagne dial on Jubilee.

Congratulations. That's a wicked good watch if you can pull it off.

This was the first Sky Dweller I met in the metal and it was instant love, but all the YG wore me, not vice versa. Something for everyone.
Old 1 February 2022, 10:00 AM   #22
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrags View Post
I did end up purchasing the TT white model I was offered after I looked at it. It should arrive tomorrow.
My favourite TT, although to be fair, I never met a Sky Dweller I didn't like.

Congratulations. It's going to be even better than you thought once you see that dial under a wide variety of lighting conditions.
Old 1 February 2022, 10:05 AM   #23
rrags
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My favourite TT, although to be fair, I never met a Sky Dweller I didn't like.

Congratulations. It's going to be even better than you thought once you see that dial under a wide variety of lighting conditions.
Thx. Yeah, when I tried it on, I noticed how it changes colors.
Old 1 February 2022, 10:06 AM   #24
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post

Wow!