The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 10 July 2021, 06:10 AM   #1
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Seiko service disappointment, am I expecting too much?

So, I got my 7549 back from service. Yes, I know this is a second thread on it but I would really like people to comment on this particular issue. The watch looks great, being a quartz it looks to be spot on timing as well. BUT, here is the issue I discovered last night.

The dial lume is completely non functional.

This is not unusual for a 35 year old watch, that stuff loses it’s function in time. But, shouldn’t the complete service have the dial re-lumed? Is this too much to ask? I had an older Seiko before with the same issue, I took it to a watchmaker that simply painted the indices and hands with a fresh coat for me and it looked fine, more importantly worked great. Couldn’t that have been done at the Service center? If I can somehow take a picture I will, but trust me it is absolutely dead. When I discovered the issue, I thought maybe the lume just didn’t get enough “charge” during the day so conducted an experiment. I put it under a bright light for about 20 minutes, then took it in a dark room. Even after waiting for my eyes to adjust to the dark, the dial had the most dim of a barely visible glow. I couldn’t begin to discern the time. I travel quite a bit and the lume is important to me, being able to just look at my watch in the middle of the night in a hotel room, instead of fumbling for the desk clock. I mistakenly assumed the Service center would either re-lume the dial, or give me the option of paying for a new dial; I would have been glad to do that.

Was I expecting too much?

PS, if any of you Seiko experts can re-lume my dial please send me a PM, I will be looking for some kind of solution. I guess I might have to just take it to a watchmaker and have it done.

TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 05:13 PM   #2
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
...snip... But, shouldn’t the complete service have the dial re-lumed? Is this too much to ask?

well, did you ask ? If you were aware of the lack of lume and iit's important to you, why not enquire about the option for replacing the dial when you sent it in ?
Should a tech at Seiko have spotted it, I don't know- maybe, but in any event I doubt the Seiko service center has watchmakers skilled with pots of lume and small paintbrushes. A dial replacement is likely the option, and I'd imagine experience has taught them a lot of collectors would prefer to keep their Tunas original.

After reading multiple horror stories about replaced dials and over polished cases anytime I send a watch in, it goes with a list of my concerns, what i'd like done and what I don't want done. If they can't oblige I usually get a call or an email that lets me know and asks how to proceed.
Old 10 July 2021, 05:18 PM   #3
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
What did the Seiko Service Centre say when you asked them?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 10:33 PM   #4
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would think they they would have either re-lumed the dial or replaced it with a complete overhaul. In the least they could have contacted you and given you an option.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 11:09 PM   #5
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
A high end luxury watch, I would have expected it. That watch, I wouldn’t expect it to be included in the service. Perhaps it should’ve been offered as a cost extra.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 02:09 AM   #6
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I would’ve expected it to at least be an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 02:11 AM   #7
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Did Seiko renew or refurbish the case, bezel and strap as part of the complete service?

I'm not sure you can require the techs at the service center to guess your expectations-

Always include a list of concerns- At least then you have some grounds to be disappointed if they don't follow it- I'd imagine the volume of watches passing through doesn't always allow them time to make judgment calls on what a customer may or may not want.

In re-reading your post, you only just discovered that the lume is dead, so I'm guessing that it hasn't been an essential feature on this particular watch of yours for many years, or that you gave it much of a once-over before sending it in.

Edit again- ok, so per your other post it's a SKX7548 not a 7549 Tuna...
Old 11 July 2021, 02:42 AM   #8
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Yes, I asked, and since I heard nothing while the watch was in service I assumed everything was fine. I also asked for a new bezel as the old one was chipped, and they did replace that, but said nothing about the lume. I inquired after receiving the watch and was told they will not paint over old Lume, and that dial is no longer available. It’s a nice beater watch but if they had told me that upfront I might have forgone the service cost and bought a new one.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 03:26 PM   #9
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Fair enough then, if you asked them and nothing was done or communicated at the time, I'd be a bit ticked-they could have let you know the options.
On the bright side, it looks great from the pics in your other post.
Old 12 July 2021, 03:55 AM   #10
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
A high end luxury watch, I would have expected it. That watch, I wouldn’t expect it to be included in the service. Perhaps it should’ve been offered as a cost extra.
Not really, a touched up or relumed dial kill’s the value of a high end watch.
Old 12 July 2021, 04:53 AM   #11
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Not really, a touched up or relumed dial kill’s the value of a high end watch.
I agree, if you're in the business of buying and selling watches. If it's a watch that I'm wearing, I'd want it glowing.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 04:57 AM   #12
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Do they even re-lume the dial or do they replaceit like Rolex etc. does? Truly can't imagine them re-luming it.

Plus why would you want them to work and possibly ruin an old dial. Keep it original.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 07:07 AM   #13
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Yes, you're asking too much ... way too much.

I've never heard of a modern factory service by any brand including a relume. I think Rolex back in the '60s might have offered it as an option at some point, but never nowadays.

Replacing the dial at additional cost should possibly be an option. But an automatic relume? No way.
swish77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 11:40 AM   #14
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
If it is a 35 yo watch, isn’t the lume tritium? That’s long dead and I’m not sure anyone is reluming that. So what you want is a replacement dial?
That would be an add on, if they even have one.
So, yes, unrealistic expectations.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote