The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 July 2021, 06:29 PM   #1
AkshayArgade
"TRF" Member

How secure are rolex clasps ?

Hey all.

Just wondering if anyone have had their clasps open up accidentally during swimming in the ocean or any outdoor activities ?

Ive had my datejust jubilee clasp come undone because it caught on something.. i was lucky to notice and not lose the watch.

Anyone of you experienced anything of that sort ?

Ive seen quite a few youtube videos where specially in the ocean the clasps come undone.. some folks are not so lucky and end up losing the watch .

What are your thoughts on the same

Sent from my GM1901 using Tapatalk
AkshayArgade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 06:36 PM   #2
khalifam
"TRF" Member

I've had my Tudor bracelet become lose and fall off my wrist once... But Rolex never.

The Tudor experience has kind of put me off wearing my watch in the sea though....

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
khalifam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 07:18 PM   #3
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Never an issue nor worry in over 30 years with any of my Rolex clasps.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 07:33 PM   #4
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
That's why I prefer sports models with sport clasps and oysterlock. I could splish around and hang out at the pool in a DJ but never deep dive with one even though it could handle a recreational dive
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 08:03 PM   #5
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Never a problem glidelock the best clasp made IMPO.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 08:05 PM   #6
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Never had an issue with any Rolex clasp coming undone in around 30 years of use. Obviously the single clasp functionality of the Oysterclasp on the Classic models is less secure than the Oysterlock on the Professional line if you catch it on something, so unless you're using a Classic model for more than it was intended, then I think it coming undone would be nothing more than just very bad luck at catching it just right.

An Oysterlock would be practically impossible to accidentally open unless something actually broke.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 08:16 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well using my working tool watch 16600 SD for many many years underwater as a real working tool that was well used sometimes abused.But in all those hard working years never had a clasp open,but did have a lug or clasp pin fail.But to be fair they are not designed to have almost 15 stone dangling over the side of a boat by a bracelet good job it failed as I still have my wrist.Watch was lost to Davey Jones locker but replaced by my dive insurance cover.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 10:07 PM   #8
khalifam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well using my working tool watch 16600 SD for many many years underwater as a real working tool that was well used sometimes abused.But in all those hard working years never had a clasp open,but did have a lug or clasp pin fail.But to be fair they are not designed to have almost 15 stone dangling over the side of a boat by a bracelet good job it failed as I still have my wrist.Watch was lost to Davey Jones locker but replaced by my dive insurance cover.
Wow so peak
Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
khalifam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 10:17 PM   #9
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalifam View Post
I've had my Tudor bracelet become lose and fall off my wrist once... But Rolex never.

The Tudor experience has kind of put me off wearing my watch in the sea though....
I have these same visions and this is why I don't wear any of my expensive watches in the ocean. I don't like the idea that if it did come off I wouldn't be able to see/find it.

Now I definitely wear them snorkeling because I can clearly see underwater. But just swimming in the ocean .... I'll wear my G-Shock
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 10:25 PM   #10
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
The older pre 2000 DD clasp are not that secure. New ones are solid
Old 22 July 2021, 11:24 PM   #11
ChiGuy322
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
I wondered this exact thing many times as I have my hand dangling out the car window as I drive on a nice summer day. Only done this with Rolex sport models and have had no issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChiGuy322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 11:32 PM   #12
copperjohn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp
Never an issue with mine during the normal trials and tribulations of life. As well as when worn during yard work, typing, and the occasional occupational altercation.
Old 23 July 2021, 12:32 AM   #13
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Very secure. If I was worried about random things happening, I'd worry more about a loose screw (or worn out locktite) that results in a screw coming out all together then the oops goes the bracelet instead of the clasp.

Very, very rare. But I've had that happen once to me, never a clasp failure.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 12:34 AM   #14
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
Never had an issue with a machined flip lock clasp on any of mine, but my wife's stamped Oyster Perpetual clasp has popped loose a bunch of times, I have to bend the butterflies in the clasp every few months to keep tension on it to keep it on her wrist. Sometimes just turning her wrist will pop it open.
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 01:12 AM   #15
gr33n
"TRF" Member

The clast never opened in 10 years of diving, riding, hiking, running, showering, swimming, sleeping or ******.

Enjoy
Old 23 July 2021, 01:14 AM   #16
zewill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Never had an issue with any Rolex clasp coming undone in around 30 years of use. Obviously the single clasp functionality of the Oysterclasp on the Classic models is less secure than the Oysterlock on the Professional line if you catch it on something, so unless you're using a Classic model for more than it was intended, then I think it coming undone would be nothing more than just very bad luck at catching it just right.

An Oysterlock would be practically impossible to accidentally open unless something actually broke.
Bracelet is as weak as the weakest link. That one being the cheap little pins. If they (actually, one) go, no matter if your bracelet is a marvel of technology, it’ll sink to the bottom of the ocean.
I’d feel safer with a nato, as two pins must fail to lose watch
zewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 01:22 AM   #17
gr33n
"TRF" Member

If you service it every 5 years or so (because you wear it in the ocean and want fresh gaskets periodically), you've got new bracelet pins every 5 years. They, therefore, will never break ;)
Old 23 July 2021, 02:03 PM   #18
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
My first GMT didn't have the fliplock clasp on the bracelet. The bracelet did pop open during a head on collision with a telephone pole. Not sure if it was the impact or the airbag that popped it.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 02:53 PM   #19
Slackergirl
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM Everose
If worried you could always use the wrist band cover Whoop makes for the water. Fits over watches well. It is called a hydrosleeve and costs all of $12
Slackergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 02:59 PM   #20
AkshayArgade
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackergirl View Post
If worried you could always use the wrist band cover Whoop makes for the water. Fits over watches well. It is called a hydrosleeve and costs all of $12
great- will check them out thanks..

thanks everyone for your replies.

have a great weekend everyone.
AkshayArgade is offline   Reply With Quote