The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 November 2018, 10:18 AM   #31
Rilz
"TRF" Member

It is a beautiful watch you shouldn't think too hard about it.
Rilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 10:28 AM   #32
HONDABBQ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
A sleek, refined and sophisticated sports watch.

It was the very first Rolex model to introduce the maxi dial, then shamelessly "copied" by the Submariner 16610LV Kermit (stolen, rather).

Portrayed by Rolex as a tool watch for regattas, perhaps it should have been called Yacht-Racer. Naming it after a licence to drive yachts make it a tad formal and pompous, if not giving it a somewhat richie rich image. Its handy bidirectional bezel was designed to track elapsed time between buoys. This is a slick butter smooth bezel action compared to the notchy Submariner rotation and rightfully so as it serves a totally different purpose. However, it never quite made it as the tool of choice among sailors favoring dedicated electronic alternatives. Basically, a similar story to the Daytona, Submariner and other so-called professional models not actually used by professionals. They've become aspiration statements for most wearers, myself included.

The mirror polished case with curvy and tapered lugs make it a dressy alternative to the more rugged and purposeful looking Submariner and its characteristic flat case profile and square lugs (six digits).

In the Rolesium version (steel and platinum), the solid platinum bezel (insert and ring) with distinctive polished raised numerals sets it apart from other Rolex models. The latest platinum dial iteration (116622-002) used to cost as much as a steel Daytona (latest MSRP €11.450 in 2016 where I live, before being discontinued). Also, it's technically less capable than the Submariner (100m WR vs. 300m, although both with Triplock crown). As a result, being the logical beings that we are and trying to rationalize our behaviours, the YM is often perceived as offering less value, if that's of any relevance in the luxury watch world.

For what it's worth, the 16622 was seen on the wrist of a few Hollywood celebrities in the mid-2000s (here's name dropping Charlie Sheen, Bruce Willis, Brad Pitt and Russel Crowe whom notoriously sold his 16622 in his latest auction, shame on him).

SLRdude did a great photo comparison between the 16622 and 116622 both with platinum dials. The former was produced during 14 years (1997-2011), the latter had a 4 years production run only (2012-2016). I've borrowed two of his shots to illustrate the beauty of the curvy and sexy case from an angle generally considered rather boring in most watches.

His detailed side by side analysis can be found at the link below:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=357602

Never mind the dial colour. You might have guessed this is a total winner in my book, possibly a future classic even if almost 40 years younger than the Sub (the first YM 16628 was introduced in 1992).

Very eloquently put sir.
HONDABBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 10:49 AM   #33
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDABBQ View Post
Very eloquently put sir.
Agreed. Excellent post.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 10:59 AM   #34
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I think it’s a beautiful watch and if you like it, you should buy it regardless of popularity. Looking at it compared to other SS professionals there are a few things that go against it in the minds of consumers, IMO:

-It was never worn by James Bond, Hilary (yeah I know he didn’t actually wear the Explorer), Chuck Yeager, Jean Troillet, James Cameron, Paul Newman...So there’s not the rich background other professional models have.

-It’s a little blingy.

-The name.
Pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 11:25 AM   #35
avalvo
"TRF" Member

Got one this year and never looked back. It's a stunning piece.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
avalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 04:00 PM   #36
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDABBQ View Post
Very eloquently put sir.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Agreed. Excellent post.
Cheers, gentlemen ;-)
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 05:35 PM   #37
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Blue Dial Yachtmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstF80InSpace View Post
An interesting thing my AD mentioned last week is that even the YM blue dial was becoming hard to find. They had a few people on a waitlist for it. She mentioned that pretty much any SS sports model under $20k was hard to find as people just want to buy something, even if it's not originally what they wanted.

Having said that. I did try on a WG Daytona and an Explorer II (surprised they had one) for fun. And I'll throw in a pic of my YM as well, because what's a thread without pics.

Of the 3 watches pictured on your wrist above, the YM blue dial absolutely fits the wearer best and looks better (by miles) IMO to the EXP2 and PMWG Daytona.

I have never considered the YM blue, but perhaps I should.

Yes, the YM has a waterproof rating 1/3 of the Submariner, but only 1% of the wearers dive past 10 feet deep and the YM contains platinum so the premium seems justified to me just like a TT comes at a premium (although I don’t like TT other than RG rootbeer).

As an aside, not sure if I have ever seen a less desirable looking Daytona than that WG blue dial ... really not good at all. Easily mistaken for cheap Michael Kors watch you might pick up at Nordstrom Rack for $49.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 08:48 PM   #38
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I love the color contrast with the platinum bezel!
This goes to prove that a lot of what drives “scarcity” is hype not the watch itself
Old 14 November 2018, 09:03 PM   #39
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
I recently had a very major birthday. My wife told me to buy a very special watch...no price limit. The AD had a nice selection including some hard to get watches.

I came home with the blue dial platinum Yachtmaster. The watch makes me smile every time I look at it. It’s stunning. It wears like a 36 mm but has the presence of a 40mm without looking blingish.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 09:12 PM   #40
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
I've always had a thing for the blue dial YM ... just something about it. Dont see many of them for a start.
Old 15 November 2018, 12:31 AM   #41
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
What's not to love!?!?
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote