The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 April 2020, 11:49 AM   #61
samsmart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Tint
Love my DSSD. I have a large collection, but my Deep Sea sees a ton of wrist time. I have a 7.5" wrist. Seems perfect for my wrist.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
samsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2020, 11:49 AM   #62
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by antbkny View Post
I think it sits better on smaller wrists. For larger wrists, the original design is perfect.
Yes. I am inclined to agree

For the OP, the 116660 would certainly be sufficient especially since he acknowledges the legitimacy of the 3135 movement.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2020, 11:53 AM   #63
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
Love my DSSD. I have a large collection, but my Deep Sea sees a ton of wrist time. I have a 7.5" wrist. Seems perfect for my wrist.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Marvelous and a joy to behold
The original and very best(MK II) of the dials
Mine says hello as i tap
Old 18 April 2020, 11:22 PM   #64
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Your wrist looks like a good candidate for that size but know it looks insanely large in person. Most notable issue is thickness. It is obnoxious IMO. I’d def wait to see one before buying.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2020, 11:44 PM   #65
Kestrel
"TRF" Member

The DSSD is a special piece. It feels so much different than the others. It is thick but not overly so when compared to other big watches out there. The 40mm is the safe bet and that is great (I own the ceramic version), but I enjoy wearing the DSSD more.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 12:06 AM   #66
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by antbkny View Post
I think it sits better on smaller wrists. For larger wrists, the original design is perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Yes. I am inclined to agree

For the OP, the 116660 would certainly be sufficient especially since he acknowledges the legitimacy of the 3135 movement.
And the original is the bigger wearing watch on the wrist end link to end link

116660: lug to lug 52 mm, end link to end link 55.6 mm

126660: lug to lug 51.8 mm end link to end link 53.3 mm
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 12:12 AM   #67
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I would go pre C Sea Dweller.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 01:05 AM   #68
Nipson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
I got the JC 126660 first and fell in love with it, mostly cause of the dial. My first Rolex.
But then i got the 116600 (SD4k)... and the JC stayed in my watchbox almost for good.

The 44mm is really not an issue (I have a 7'' wrist), but daaaamn that thickness!

Once i started wearing the SD4k, which is thinner and much more balanced in terms of proportions, i couldn't remove from my head that the Deepsea looks like a massive block of steel, disproportionate compared to its dial diameter. And i started to be really bugged by that "ring lock system" ring.

Didn't sell it yet, cause i'm still stunned everytime i look at the dial.
But everytime i open the watchbox that's the SD4k i choose. Perfect watch.
Nipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 01:27 AM   #69
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
If you like it, buy it. Your money, your choice. However, I would advise against trying out the maximum depth rating. It's really cold and dark.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 01:31 AM   #70
WCHROLX
Banned

Just wear it and stop contemplating...
WCHROLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 02:23 AM   #71
Arden425
"TRF" Member

I have the jc 126660 (22mm). My wrist is 7.25 and it wears great!
Arden425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 07:07 AM   #72
Albatross
"TRF" Member

Thanks to all who posted on this and for all the great pics. Beautiful watches...every one of them. Based on the feedback, I think it’s prudent to find some way to try on the beast before I commit. I’ll find one somewhere. My AD may even have one in the safe. Probably spoken for, but he would probably let me at least hold it in my hand if not on the wrist.

I truly appreciate all the thoughts that you shared with me on this. I long for the days when you could just walk into a dealer and try on some watches. Instead, the best I can do is get opinions from guys like you who have owned them and wear them and it’s truly a blessing how unselfish you all are with sharing your experiences. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 09:25 AM   #73
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
It's a big watch and it's supposed to wear large.

It may or may not be for you, and as you can see from the posts here ... it varies greatly based on your wearing preference NOT wrist size IMHO

That said, I owned the 116660 dblue for about 18 months. Loved it but ultimately sold it as I felt I couldn't justify owning it and the SD43. Somedays I'm still kicking myself, but everything for a reason I say.

What I can say, is that you won't wear a better dial in the catalogue. Damn, that watch made me smile.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Looks Great Brian
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 09:27 AM   #74
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
Thanks to all who posted on this and for all the great pics. Beautiful watches...every one of them. Based on the feedback, I think it’s prudent to find some way to try on the beast before I commit. I’ll find one somewhere. My AD may even have one in the safe. Probably spoken for, but he would probably let me at least hold it in my hand if not on the wrist.

I truly appreciate all the thoughts that you shared with me on this. I long for the days when you could just walk into a dealer and try on some watches. Instead, the best I can do is get opinions from guys like you who have owned them and wear them and it’s truly a blessing how unselfish you all are with sharing your experiences. Thank you.

If you can’t find a DSSD at an AD, you might consider trying on a Planet Ocean Chronograph at an Omega dealer, easy to find, and it’s actually about 1.5mm thicker than a DSSD. If you can just about live with the POC you can live with the DSSD.

As for choosing between an 116660 or a 16600, I don’t know the answer, I have an 116600, and a 126660, and it would be hard to chose between them.

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 09:45 AM   #75
Ntoz
Banned

It's better if you have big wrist, but it is still nice watch
Ntoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 09:57 AM   #76
Dahh
Banned

I think Deepsea if for those with big wrist
Dahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 10:20 AM   #77
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
My wrist is 6.5. I can pull of my SD43 without a problem however when I tried on the deepsea I could not take it off soon enough. Too top heavy for me.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 10:47 AM   #78
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
I will say this. When they say "wrist presence" they are not kidding. I saw my first one in the wild 2 weeks ago. I was walking by a guy sitting on a bench and from 10 feet away I knew what it was. I walked over a bit closer (social distancing and all...) and asked and sure enough. I guess from a design issue it's that the sides are unrelieved by any breaks or curves. It is a thick chunk of steel and supposed to look that way. Top down views don't really communicate how it looks.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 10:58 AM   #79
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I love my DSSD. For years I tried it on, I was a little nervous, and last year I was lucky and got the call for a new JC. I went for it and could not be happier.

I spent a little time in Miami Beach earlier this year. The clasp, fit and style was perfect for me. I felt the DSSD was at home whether I was in the water, at the bar, or at dinner.

Try it on, if it fits, go for it.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 10:59 AM   #80
eonflux
"TRF" Member

You're not going to know if it's too thick and top-heavy for you until you actually live with it for a while. All of us here can describe our experiences, preferences, biases, etc, but you'll just have to try it.
And it really sounds like an itch you'll need to scratch.

I have a DSSD and a Sub and GMT.
I've gotten used to being careful with other thick watches (AP 44 ROO, PAM 275 and 317, IWC Timezoner, etc), to not strike things, but do have to be more wary. That may end up something you can or cannot deal with.
Same with the top heaviness.

But I enjoy wearing the DSSD much more than the Sub and GMT, the DSSD makes those 2 kinda boring to wear.

The DSSD Glidelock is far superior to the GL on the Sub and the EasyLink on the GMT.
And I love my D-Blue dial.

For me, another key difference between the DSSD and the other SD's: the release valve on the DSSD is polished and the same color as the rest of the case. On the other SD's, the valve surface is darker and roughly finished. That bugs me, and were deal killers.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 11:50 AM   #81
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Kind of scared of the Deepsea. Should I be?

Quote:

Good advice in the thread. I tried on the DBlue at my AD. They allowed me to do that. I thought about it. I told them I was a buyer if they received one that had no home. I tried it again at a TS shop. Still kind of concerned about the size. Decided to let the itch lay... I figured I’d never get the call. Then the AD called and said they had one, in less than 90 days.

Now, by that time (across 2018-2019) I had cycled through the SD43 twice, trying to convince myself it did not hurt me... The small case back on the SD43 was intolerable for me. Otherwise it was perfect! But after a week of wear, the SD43 absoutely hurt. I read a lot about the 126660 DSSD having a “cushion case”. More comfortable on some members than the SD43.

So, when the AD called I bought the 126660 DBlue and will never have any regrets. Although a little larger, its perfectly comfortable on me. You can see my threads on the DSSD experience. 7.25 flat wrist.

Would be best if you try one. But even then, you may not know until you wear it a few weeks.
Old 19 April 2020, 12:30 PM   #82
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
you are absolute fine, the deep sea would suit you perfectly.

jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 01:03 PM   #83
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
Kind of scared of the Deepsea. Should I be?

I have the JC and the SD43. Some people are very sensitive to “tall” watches. I’m not. Plus I’m a very big guy, 6’8, size 17 feet with huge hands/wrists, in fact the only thing not huge on......you know what, let’s move on. :) I’ll admit wearing the SD43 does draw my attention to how thick the Deepsea is, but, it’s like being mad at a tank because it’s heavy. The Deepsea is an engineering marvel and is no thicker than it must be. And in fact thinner than it could have been.

If I had to choose one as a daily wearer, well, I don’t. :). I honestly would have to really think about it. The SD43 is definitely lighter and thinner. But the Deepsea is an unapologetic beast, which is a big part of its charm.

As you can see, the SD43 looks like a 40mm sub on me. So I’m not the best indicator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 01:58 PM   #84
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalobyte View Post
I have the JC and the SD43. Some people are very sensitive to “tall” watches. I’m not. Plus I’m a very big guy, 6’8, size 17 feet with huge hands/wrists, in fact the only thing not huge on......you know what, let’s move on. :) I’ll admit wearing the SD43 does draw my attention to how thick the Deepsea is, but, it’s like being mad at a tank because it’s heavy. The Deepsea is an engineering marvel and is no thicker than it must be. And in fact thinner than it could have been.

If I had to choose one as a daily wearer, well, I don’t. :). I honestly would have to really think about it. The SD43 is definitely lighter and thinner. But the Deepsea is an unapologetic beast, which is a big part of its charm.

As you can see, the SD43 looks like a 40mm sub on me. So I’m not the best indicator.

Sensational pics
Old 20 April 2020, 04:06 AM   #85
CaptT
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Yes, the DSSD is big, but the new version is quite balanced. I have both black and D-Blue 126660 - really like the overall feel and domed crystal. Also have an Exp2, which is fantastic - and my guess is if you wear your Exp2 you’ll be ok with the DSSD.
CaptT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 04:12 AM   #86
aczaja10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks guys. All great answers and insight. For me, probably the 16600 is the safe move. I think I would need to really try on a Deepsea before I could bring myself to pull the trigger. It just looks so darn thick in the pics that Anthony and Travis posted that I don’t know that I could be comfortable with that.

I have a Tudor Black Bay (the original with ETA) which is about 15mm thick and I even find that watch to be kind of thick. So at almost 18mm I may be pushing the envelope here a little out of my comfort zone.

The watch looks great on you, Pat. But you also have arms like tree trunks and even you admit it’s kind of top heavy. That’s a telling observation coming from a guy with your build. I am 6 ft and 250 lbs so I could probably pull it off. But I am going to need to try it on first.

The funny thing is that Tiger Woods seems to wear this watch well and he is really not all that big a guy. I’ve been right next to him at tour events. He’s remarkably strong for his size and well built and you can tell he spends time in the weight room, but at the end of the day he’s like 6’1” and 185. But he looks good wearing this piece so I guess you just never know until you try it on.

Knowing how things work around here, I’ll probably end up with both. Thanks for your help. Here’s Tiger with his Deeepsea:

This.

My close friend has one and he is about 5’7” and super rail thin skinny. He has a wonderful Rolex collection and he tells me all the time that this is his favorite Rolex. It doesn’t look too big on him nor will it on you. It may take a moment to get used to but it is a gorgeous watch.
aczaja10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 04:42 AM   #87
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
It's a big watch and it's supposed to wear large.

It may or may not be for you, and as you can see from the posts here ... it varies greatly based on your wearing preference NOT wrist size IMHO

That said, I owned the 116660 dblue for about 18 months. Loved it but ultimately sold it as I felt I couldn't justify owning it and the SD43. Somedays I'm still kicking myself, but everything for a reason I say.

What I can say, is that you won't wear a better dial in the catalogue. Damn, that watch made me smile.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Damn Brian, that pic is making ME smile! lol

Captured that DBlue dial perfect

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 04:53 AM   #88
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
Damn Brian, that pic is making ME smile! lol

Captured that DBlue dial perfect

Thanks my friend As you know, it’s a love hate relationship.

We are thinking of getting back together
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 04:53 AM   #89
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
The JC is stunning, nothing to be afraid of
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 05:01 AM   #90
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
I had the first Deepsea in 2009, I sell it one year later, under my opinion is not for everyday.
After that I bought the SD4K, with the 16600 you will be fine, with the SD4K you’ll get the best of both world’s.

nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote