The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 April 2020, 05:03 AM   #91
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 01:00 PM   #92
za_eti
"TRF" Member

Got mine late last year, all my other watch on quarantine
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Dblue_amg.jpeg (283.6 KB, 396 views)
za_eti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 03:59 PM   #93
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Thanks my friend As you know, it’s a love hate relationship.

We are thinking of getting back together

Hi Brian

I have seen your previous comments on how much you loved the ‘look’ of the watch but couldn’t quite get on with how it felt a little top heavy when worn.

Do you think the newer version 126660 would be a better fit?

I’ve read a lot of members say the slightly wider bracelet makes a massive difference to how it wears.

I know it’s difficult as these things aren’t exactly sitting around in dealers waiting to be tried on lol!

Would be interesting to get your thoughts on this.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 04:19 PM   #94
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Gorgeous watch... but I see the tough choice you have to make!
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 06:01 PM   #95
scurfa
"TRF" Member

If you don’t mind hitting walls, tables, cars and small children you will be fine!
Old 20 April 2020, 08:43 PM   #96
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Get the DSSD, it is truly the king of Rolex dive watches and an unbelievable bargain! I have many choices, and frequently go to it as a daily watch
Old 20 April 2020, 08:49 PM   #97
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
You have big wrists you can pull it off. Just beware of the weight

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 09:02 PM   #98
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
Hi Brian

I have seen your previous comments on how much you loved the ‘look’ of the watch but couldn’t quite get on with how it felt a little top heavy when worn.

Do you think the newer version 126660 would be a better fit?

I’ve read a lot of members say the slightly wider bracelet makes a massive difference to how it wears.

I know it’s difficult as these things aren’t exactly sitting around in dealers waiting to be tried on lol!

Would be interesting to get your thoughts on this.

Cheers

I’ve often wondered whether the 126660 is a better wearing watch, and I’ve heard contradictory stories here to be honest.

I was able to try one on at my AD shortly after it’s release but without being able to properly size it, it wasn’t apparent to me that it would wear much differently. I feel the bracelet does look better though

What’s interesting to me is that the End link to end link dimensions of the newer model actually make it wear smaller across the wrist than the previous version and even smaller than the SD43 ... this makes me wonder how much less top heavy it might actually feel. Does the wider bracelet counter act the smaller end link to end link measurement? Am I just overthinking it ...?

The other thing I never entirely got used to was the weight. It’s such a tank. Some days it didn’t bother me but other times it’s all I could feel. I tried wearing it snug, loose and all points in between. If I’m honest, the SD43 gives me similar problems but to a lesser degree which makes it more wearable.

Last, I like big watches, but I’m finding lately that 40mm Rolex seem to work better for me. They are lighter wearing, and the dial real estate is the same as these larger divers.

I’m interested in seeing if they bring out a new Explorer2 as I feel that’s a larger Rolex that wears beautifully ... I just don’t care for the engraved bezel.

Those are my thoughts my friend

Sorry for the post high Jack OP.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 12:56 AM   #99
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Good luck with that
You make it sound like it's as easy as going down to the local Harley dealer to pick up some chrome accessories

Was my AD mistaken when telling me I can order a part for a watch I already own? I asked if I could order a spare clasp when I get a RubberB band so I don't have to swap back and forth. Their answer: "No Problem". Haven't done it yet because RubberB hasn't released a solid black strap for the 126660 yet, just a black/blue.

I asked this when picking up some bracelet parts that I had ordered over the phone, so it may be easier than the Harley dealership. They did ask that I bring the watch in when I picked up the parts so they could verify that I owned the watch in question, so I don't think buying a DSSD clasp would normally be part of the deal when purchasing a SD43, for the record.
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 02:04 AM   #100
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slus View Post
Was my AD mistaken when telling me I can order a part for a watch I already own? I asked if I could order a spare clasp when I get a RubberB band so I don't have to swap back and forth. Their answer: "No Problem". Haven't done it yet because RubberB hasn't released a solid black strap for the 126660 yet, just a black/blue.

I asked this when picking up some bracelet parts that I had ordered over the phone, so it may be easier than the Harley dealership. They did ask that I bring the watch in when I picked up the parts so they could verify that I owned the watch in question, so I don't think buying a DSSD clasp would normally be part of the deal when purchasing a SD43, for the record.
I was always under the impression Rolex spare parts were only supplied on an exchange basis.

So if you wanted to order a new clasp for your Deep Sea for example, that's fine, but you would have to surrender the original when picking up the new one.

In other words, you can't just order a spare in isolation.

I understand this is to do with Rolex not wanting original parts ending up in counterfeit watches, which makes sense to me.

Old 21 April 2020, 02:38 AM   #101
Rosie39j
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
Hi All,

I typically hate the “what should I buy” posts. I get that it’s personal. “Buy what you like” someone will say. I know...I know.

Well, what I want is a Sea Dweller. I have always liked them. They are a Submariner with an attitude. The Sub’s big brother who can go deeper and do more. Has a date, but no Cyclops (until the new one). One of only 2 Rolex models that I know of that actually has writing engraved on the case back. Helium escape valve which I will never ever need...but cool that it’s there!

So, here’s the dilemma. I want to spend 8 to 9k on this watch. For that budget, I can get a very good condition 16600 pre-ceramic 40mm Sea Dweller. The “traditional” Sea Dweller when I think of the 5 digit models. Nice case with the old style tapered lugs yet modern with a tried and true 3135, SEL’s, etc. great watch.

Or, for about the exact same money, I can get a pre- owned Deepsea Sea Dweller 116660 black dial. The original release of the Deepsea. The king of all divers at 12,000 ft depth rating...not that I am going there, but still pretty bad ass to know it can. Plus includes all the latest upgrades : ceramic bezel, better bracelet, way better clasp with glide lock and easy link and all the niceties that gives the wearer, plus it just a much newer reference so service won’t be needed as soon. Etc.

The Deepsea seems like a no brainer given those advantages listed. Yet, I am scared of the dimensions. I can’t try this on ahead of time. All the AD’s are closed and they probably don’t have one anyway. So I’m sitting here trying to guesstimate how this thing is going to look on my wrist. Not as concerned about the 44mm. Very concerned about the 17.7 mm thickness. I have a 42 mm Explorer II that fits my 7.5 inch wrist well. 2 more mm of diameter I can live with. But this Explorer II is also 12.5 mm thick. Quite a jump to 17.7.

I see pics of forum members wearing their Deepsea and in the occasional side view that gets posted, it literally looks like a brick that was strapped to someone’s wrist. But i know pictures can be deceiving.

Did anybody else consider both these models? If so, what did you choose and why? If you wear a Deepsea, do you find the thickness to be problematic (too top heavy, constantly hitting it on stuff, heavy throughout the day...etc?). If you wear one, how big is your wrist?

I know the 16600 is the safe choice here. I know it will fit and wear well and I think it’s a great reference.
But I think I would go Deepsea if I can pull it off. There’s really just no good way to know. If you have any insight, I’ll gladly take it.

For reference, here is my wrist with the Explorer II.

It’s a great watch, but I found it too clunky and traded it away. And I wear Panerai’s and fine a submariner too small on my wrist. Every time I turned around I felt like I was banging my James Cameron Dssd on something due to the thickness. My Explorer II is great - large diameter but sleeker on the wrist. As are DJ 2’s. Again, all personal preference and it’s a great watch, but if you’re concerned it’s probably with good reason.
Rosie39j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 02:59 AM   #102
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ve often wondered whether the 126660 is a better wearing watch, and I’ve heard contradictory stories here to be honest.

I was able to try one on at my AD shortly after it’s release but without being able to properly size it, it wasn’t apparent to me that it would wear much differently. I feel the bracelet does look better though

What’s interesting to me is that the End link to end link dimensions of the newer model actually make it wear smaller across the wrist than the previous version and even smaller than the SD43 ... this makes me wonder how much less top heavy it might actually feel. Does the wider bracelet counter act the smaller end link to end link measurement? Am I just overthinking it ...?

The other thing I never entirely got used to was the weight. It’s such a tank. Some days it didn’t bother me but other times it’s all I could feel. I tried wearing it snug, loose and all points in between. If I’m honest, the SD43 gives me similar problems but to a lesser degree which makes it more wearable.

Last, I like big watches, but I’m finding lately that 40mm Rolex seem to work better for me. They are lighter wearing, and the dial real estate is the same as these larger divers.

I’m interested in seeing if they bring out a new Explorer2 as I feel that’s a larger Rolex that wears beautifully ... I just don’t care for the engraved bezel.

Those are my thoughts my friend

Sorry for the post high Jack OP.
Thats an amazingly honest & informative response Brian, thank you.

Everything you've said makes perfect sense to me.

I am exactly the same with my SD43.

I wanted that watch for so long, I can't tell you. Ever since it was released in 2017 to be precise.

However, now I finally got one in late 2019, I don't really know what to think.

Believe me when I say I really, really want to love it & wear it every day, and I have tried, I really have, but the honest truth is, I just haven't bonded with it the way I thought I would.

I honestly thought it would just be an updated & improved version of my Submariner - which it sort of is I know, but its just not working for me.

Don't get me wrong, its great for weekends & wearing for short bursts, but I wanted a new daily & I find the bulk & heft of it is just that bit too much for an all day/every day watch.

I know that won't be a popular opinion around here as the SD is the poster boy of the forum with many.

I am also coming around to the same way of thinking as you that 40mm is the way to go for any future purchases.

Old 21 April 2020, 03:10 AM   #103
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thats an amazingly honest & informative response Brian, thank you.

Everything you've said makes perfect sense to me.

I am exactly the same with my SD43.

I wanted that watch for so long, I can't tell you. Ever since it was released in 2017 to be precise.

However, now I finally got one in late 2019, I don't really know what to think.

Believe me when I say I really, really want to love it & wear it every day, and I have tried, I really have, but the honest truth is, I just haven't bonded with it the way I thought I would.

I honestly thought it would just be an updated & improved version of my Submariner - which it sort of is I know, but its just not working for me.

Don't get me wrong, its great for weekends & wearing for short bursts, but I wanted a new daily & I find the bulk & heft of it is just that bit too much for an all day/every day watch.

I know that won't be a popular opinion around here as the SD is the poster boy of the forum with many.

I am also coming around to the same way of thinking as you that 40mm is the way to go for any future purchases.

After reading this thread I decided to strap it on today my friend ... what a damn fine looking watch.

Don't pay attention to us OP, we are clearly conflicted

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 21 April 2020, 07:42 AM   #104
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:

You may get away with it, but I doubt it.
Rolex are very particular about things like that these days, especially since the DSSD clasp is absolutely exclusive to that reference.
Rolex even closely guard/control who has a Caseback opening tool for the DSSD.
Good luck, and let us know how you go with it should you choose to pursue it
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 10:34 AM   #105
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
I was always under the impression Rolex spare parts were only supplied on an exchange basis.

So if you wanted to order a new clasp for your Deep Sea for example, that's fine, but you would have to surrender the original when picking up the new one.

I understand this is to do with Rolex not wanting original parts ending up in counterfeit watches, which makes sense to me.
Not really....
Things like a buckle or clasp can be easily duplicated by removing yours and taking it to an AD with a parts account and having them install a new one.
You are correct that you can’t just buy extra parts, you need to take your watch and allow them to put the item on the watch.
Old 21 April 2020, 10:47 AM   #106
JasChCh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfa View Post
If you don’t mind hitting walls, tables, cars and small children you will be fine!
I have to respectfully disagree :)

I find that it's the one watch that I never hit anything with, and I have had my 126660 for nearly 2 years. I assume it's due to the fact that although it's nice and comfortable, I am still always aware that it's on my wrist.
JasChCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 11:06 AM   #107
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Kind of scared of the Deepsea. Should I be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfa View Post

Now, that’s funny! I have seen in other threads where people suggest the DeepSea has its own gravity and will mysteriously pull you, crashing your arm into things.

OP, I wish you could try it. Have any friends who could lend you one? That’s the ideal situation. I’ve lent my watches to some guys at work, so they can test drive them.

It’s so true to see folks say they are conflicted. I sometimes feel the same about a piece. We want to love some references so badly... I do love this one - 126660. I’m getting it out tomorrow!

Old 21 April 2020, 12:42 PM   #108
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
You may get away with it, but I doubt it.
Rolex are very particular about things like that these days, especially since the DSSD clasp is absolutely exclusive to that reference.
Rolex even closely guard/control who has a Caseback opening tool for the DSSD.
Good luck, and let us know how you go with it should you choose to pursue it

Interesting. I know Rolex is not like Omega where you can walk in and buy clasps and bracelets for other models that you do not own, but I am surprised that they wouldn't let me buy another clasp or bracelet for my own watch. I did not ask the price, I figured it would be outrageous, but the sales rep did look it up in his parts catalog to make sure it could be ordered. I will be sure to update if it happens. I can see the reasoning on items that are the defining feature of a watch, they wouldn't want Pepsi and Batman bezels readily available, so I do somewhat understand.

I do see a lot of genuine Rolex parts for sale in the Rolex Parts subforum though, some brand new in packaging. A quick search for "glidelock clasp" returned 123 results. Must be some die hard NATO fans around here these days to sacrifice their clasps and bracelets permanently
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 01:02 PM   #109
JePro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613 / 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Nevermind I see you quoted your wrist size. Yes at 7.5" you should be fine. However the 116660 is the earlier version which has the thinner 21 mm bracelet. That hockey puck needs a 22 mm bracelet. I would prefer the newer version.

If you can swing it, split the difference and get the SD43. Best of both worlds
I second this advice
JePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 02:50 PM   #110
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Interesting. I know Rolex is not like Omega where you can walk in and buy clasps and bracelets for other models that you do not own, but I am surprised that they wouldn't let me buy another clasp or bracelet for my own watch. I did not ask the price, I figured it would be outrageous, but the sales rep did look it up in his parts catalog to make sure it could be ordered. I will be sure to update if it happens. I can see the reasoning on items that are the defining feature of a watch, they wouldn't want Pepsi and Batman bezels readily available, so I do somewhat understand.

I do see a lot of genuine Rolex parts for sale in the Rolex Parts subforum though, some brand new in packaging. A quick search for "glidelock clasp" returned 123 results. Must be some die hard NATO fans around here these days to sacrifice their clasps and bracelets permanently
There are Glidelocks and there are Glidelocks.
Are you seeing adds for the DSSD variant?
Keep in mind the DSSD variant is at the top of the heap.
I don't try to seek out Rolex spare parts so i'm not fully across that aspect. But I hope you don't have too much difficulty.

Don't assume it's possible to just go into any Omega dealer or boutique and pick up what ever you want.
Those days are coming to a close fairly quickly too as Omega are screwing the clamps down tighter in that regard as well.
Something as simple as a strap for a Silver Snoopy at least requires you to produce the watch before they will order it in these days. The Deployant is relatively easy though.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 10:49 AM   #111
Bladeshot

Ok, I had to strap the 126660 on, after this thread. It’s as wonderful as can be on my 7.25” flat wrist. But it’s not for everyone, and I’d need to be a bigger guy for it to be my one and only (185# and 5’11”). Brian has mentioned it’s a great weekend watch. I agree. I can daily it, but it always gets traded out because the others do need a turn.

It’s a little tall, but it sure is fun.

Old 22 April 2020, 10:57 AM   #112
Explorer2Guy
Banned

I like my Explorer 2’s size.

Tried on a James Cameron the same day I got the 216570

It is a massive watch. Very thick. It is a big time watch if you don’t mind the heft.

Too much watch for me.
Explorer2Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 11:23 AM   #113
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeshot View Post
Ok, I had to strap the 126660 on, after this thread. It’s as wonderful as can be on my 7.25” flat wrist. But it’s not for everyone, and I’d need to be a bigger guy for it to be my one and only (185# and 5’11”). Brian has mentioned it’s a great weekend watch. I agree. I can daily it, but it always gets traded out because the others do need a turn.

It’s a little tall, but it sure is fun.

Those are great pictures Grant
Old 24 April 2020, 09:00 AM   #114
Bladeshot

Quote:
Those are great pictures Grant

Thx. Here’s mine from today.
Old 24 April 2020, 09:07 AM   #115
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeshot View Post
Thx. Here’s mine from today.
It's a stunner

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 24 April 2020, 09:44 AM   #116
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
Mine is the original model. There are some good strap options that hold the head nice and firm.

Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 10:44 AM   #117
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Do it!
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 06:45 AM   #118
Rybark09
"TRF" Member

Looks great on that strap!
Rybark09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 09:09 AM   #119
Bladeshot

Kind of scared of the Deepsea. Should I be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbkny View Post
Do it!

You and others enabled me! Gave me inspiration that a 7.25 flat wrist could work and be enjoyable. (Although your wrist is much larger.)

Hope to meet you sometime when I’m up north.
Old 25 April 2020, 09:16 AM   #120
jeffgo888
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me disappear into
It’s the best watch I ever bought .. it’s engineered for sturdiness and very handsome

jeffgo888 is offline   Reply With Quote