The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 November 2020, 06:08 PM   #1
slowokan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Icon4 My 2020 GMT Master II Pepsi winding the opposite way

Got this Pepsi last September. I didn't set it till a few days ago since bought, as it was set at the store at the time of purchase.

What I noticed was I could wind it turning the crown Counterclockwise. And when I try to turn the crown clockwise, it doesn't turn at all. That's weird, too. Of course I didn't force it much not to break it.

I have another GMT Master II, which was bought in 2018 from the same AD and it works how it is supposed to be.

Both watches were purchased as new from the same AD.

I had a look on the manuals of both watches. They tell exactly the same. To wind the watch we gotta turn the crown clockwise. My crown doesn't wanna turn clockwise at all.

I told the situation to my AD. They're gonna be asking it to Rolex. I just wanted to hear the comments of other users.
slowokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 06:27 PM   #2
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowokan View Post
Got this Pepsi last September. I didn't set it till a few days ago since bought, as it was set at the store at the time of purchase.

What I noticed was I could wind it turning the crown Counterclockwise. And when I try to turn the crown clockwise, it doesn't turn at all. That's weird, too. Of course I didn't force it much not to break it.

I have another GMT Master II, which was bought in 2018 from the same AD and it works how it is supposed to be.

I had a look on the manuals of both watches. They tell exactly the same. To wind the watch we gotta turn the crown clockwise. My crown doesn't wanna turn clockwise at all.

I told the situation to my AD. They're gonna be asking it to Rolex. I just wanted to hear the comments of other users.
With all 32XX (like 3285 in GMT Master II) movements, you set the watch by rotating the crown in the opposite direction as in the previous 31XX (3186) movements, but don't know about rotating the crown for winding. Definitely something wrong with it not rotating clockwise in position 1 (winding position).
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 06:32 PM   #3
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Sounds like something is broken within the movement. My guess is that it needs to be sent to a service center :-(
VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 07:23 PM   #4
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSomething View Post
Sounds like something is broken within the movement. My guess is that it needs to be sent to a service center :-(
Annoying if this is the case.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 07:54 PM   #5
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Annoying if this is the case.
Yeah it sucks :-/ Of course it will get fixed under warranty but definitely annoying for it to happen with a new watch.
Old 28 November 2020, 08:03 PM   #6
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Depending on what GMT you got in 2018,unless it was another SS BLRO or one of CHNRs, it could have 3186 movement and your BLRO has 3285. If it is indeed a CHNR or BLRO, your current BLRO should behave the same way as one of them, so if it doesn't, something is wrong. If however it's a BLNR or any LN or even back then the WG BLRO, it has a 3186, so it does behave differently.

31xx movements and 32xx movements both wind clockwise, however, there's a difference in how they wind. 31xx winds smoothly the whole way, it could be fully wound and the winding still feels as smooth as when the power reserve was empty. 32xx is different. It begins smooth, however as it becomes more and more wound, it becomes grittier and tougher to rotate. When it's fully wound it doesn't turn unless you give it some force. And you stated you were afraid to force it, so, first, was your power reserve empty and, secondly, did you try giving it any force? If the answer is no to both questions, that probably explains it. Try not wearing it for 3 days until your power reserve depletes and try again.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 10:26 PM   #7
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: whichever I wear
Quote:

Erm... that doesn't sound right. RSC.

Submariner 114060/ Submariner 116613LB/ Daytona 116523/ Omega Seamaster/ Omega De Ville
Simon_jrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 12:09 AM   #8
slowokan
"TRF" Member

Thank all of you guys. Really appreciated for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
With all 32XX (like 3285 in GMT Master II) movements, you set the watch by rotating the crown in the opposite direction as in the previous 31XX (3186) movements, but don't know about rotating the crown for winding. Definitely something wrong with it not rotating clockwise in position 1 (winding position).
Yes, setting the time is opposite direction. Mine works like that, too. I've watched a couple videos on YouTube and saw that it's totally how it is supposed to be. It is opposite to my 2012 Submariner and 2018 116713LN. My concern is all about winding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
Depending on what GMT you got in 2018,unless it was another SS BLRO or one of CHNRs, it could have 3186 movement and your BLRO has 3285. If it is indeed a CHNR or BLRO, your current BLRO should behave the same way as one of them, so if it doesn't, something is wrong. If however it's a BLNR or any LN or even back then the WG BLRO, it has a 3186, so it does behave differently.

31xx movements and 32xx movements both wind clockwise, however, there's a difference in how they wind. 31xx winds smoothly the whole way, it could be fully wound and the winding still feels as smooth as when the power reserve was empty. 32xx is different. It begins smooth, however as it becomes more and more wound, it becomes grittier and tougher to rotate. When it's fully wound it doesn't turn unless you give it some force. And you stated you were afraid to force it, so, first, was your power reserve empty and, secondly, did you try giving it any force? If the answer is no to both questions, that probably explains it. Try not wearing it for 3 days until your power reserve depletes and try again.
Extra thanks to georgekart, for your detailed explanation.

My other GMT Master II is 2018 model year 116713LN.

When I got this Pepsi 2 months ago, they set the time for me and they told they wound it up for me. For this 2 months time I've worn it 5 times maybe and I didn't unscrew the crown and try to do anything.

I use an Orbita watch winder and it keeps all my watches wound. So I didn't need to unscrew the crown. Till they adjust the time in Canada for daylight saving. When I wanted to set the time, first surprise for me was the hands were turning the opposite way. And then I wanted to see how it winds. There I got surprised a second time when I tried to turn the crown clockwise. It didn't turn at all. I applied a little force though. Same like on my 2012 Submariner. When it didn't turn clockwise, I didn't force it much. I tried the other way and it turned very easy. And I could easily hear clicking sound as I keep turning it like I am winding it. But it is opposite direction.

Then I watched some YouTube videos and I found out the hands on my Pepsi move how they are supposed to be. They are all good. I didn't know that before.

As for the winding, after reading your comment georgekart, it seems like it is totally wound and it doesn't wind anymore. And I applied a little force not to damage it. Maybe if I try to apply more pressure it will turn a little.

I'll do like you suggest, georgekart. I'll switch off the Pepsi's slot on my winder and wait for it to stop. Then I'll see how it winds.

And I'll let you know the result guys. Thank you for your help. Appreciated.
Old 29 November 2020, 08:12 AM   #9
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

On the last comment, it should not stop winding even when completely wound. Something is wrong. Take it to RSC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 November 2020, 08:25 AM   #10
slowokan
"TRF" Member

Icon12

Quote:
On the last comment, it should not stop winding even when completely wound. Something is wrong. Take it to RSC.

Thanks SS Oyster.

The thing is I applied a light pressure to wind it clockwise. Maybe I should force it more but I am not that brave..:)

I'll let it stop and try it when it is totally unwound just to be on the safer side. And then decide.
Old 29 November 2020, 08:42 AM   #11
slowokan
"TRF" Member

Icon10

I'll tell you a very funny thing about me guys..

I've just taken my 2012 Sub from my winder and wanted to see how it reacts while winding. It was so tight, when I wanted to turn it clockwise. I've always been sure that this watch has been in perfect condition since bought. Serviced in 2018 also. It still looks brand new. The winding felt hard. I wasn't that afraid while turning the crown even though it felt rough, as I've known this model for many years. This is the first time I experience the winding is this much tight on a Rolex.

Before getting my Orbita watch winder, my 2012 Sub would stop occasionally and I would wind it when I wanna wear. And the crown was so light while winding. After getting my winder, I've never wound any of my watches, so I don't know the feeling of the crown when the watch is totally wound up. This means my winder runs perfect.

My Pepsi has probably the same story, but I'll just wait for 3 days for it to stop and give it a try to feel more comfortable, as georgekart suggested.

I've been wearing Rolex for 8 years, but I still don't know much about these. Sorry for my trouble guys.

Moderators feel free to remove my thread, as this thread might just be an unnecessary concern of mine.
Old 29 November 2020, 09:40 AM   #12
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
I'll tell you a very funny thing about me guys..

I've just taken my 2012 Sub from my winder and wanted to see how it reacts while winding. It was so tight, when I wanted to turn it clockwise. I've always been sure that this watch has been in perfect condition since bought. Serviced in 2018 also. It still looks brand new. The winding felt hard. I wasn't that afraid while turning the crown even though it felt rough, as I've known this model for many years. This is the first time I experience the winding is this much tight on a Rolex.

Before getting my Orbita watch winder, my 2012 Sub would stop occasionally and I would wind it when I wanna wear. And the crown was so light while winding. After getting my winder, I've never wound any of my watches, so I don't know the feeling of the crown when the watch is totally wound up. This means my winder runs perfect.

My Pepsi has probably the same story, but I'll just wait for 3 days for it to stop and give it a try to feel more comfortable, as georgekart suggested.

I've been wearing Rolex for 8 years, but I still don't know much about these. Sorry for my trouble guys.

Moderators feel free to remove my thread, as this thread might just be an unnecessary concern of mine.
as others have said it shouldn't stop winding, its not a manual wind movement, if it gets tight and hard to turn to wind then something is wrong.

if both watches are doing that after extended periods of time on a winder then that doesn't sound ideal. I would let them wind down fully and try to wind again.
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 09:53 AM   #13
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

winding sounds wrong and should not "stop" when fully wound. There's a mechanism in the winding system to prevent over winding even though you can keep turning crown
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 10:25 AM   #14
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Many of the statements here are FALSE.

When you wind wind the watch with with the crown and when it becomes fully wound, you will indeed come to a point when you cannot wind anymore.

However, the winding mechanism will simply decouple from the mainspring when it is fully wound, when using the rotor.

EDIT:

Since you said you leave your watch on a winder, it maybe fully wound already and what you might be experiencing may be fine and that turning counter-clockwise is NOT actually winding your watch but just freewheeling in that direction. Let your watch run down completely and see if it winds clockwise. You may have a problem with the movement, but some of the above comments are FALSE.
uhren917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 06:36 PM   #15
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhren917 View Post

When you wind wind the watch with with the crown and when it becomes fully wound, you will indeed come to a point when you cannot wind anymore.

However, the winding mechanism will simply decouple from the mainspring when it is fully wound, when using the rotor.

EDIT:

Since you said you leave your watch on a winder, it maybe fully wound already and what you might be experiencing may be fine and that turning counter-clockwise is NOT actually winding your watch but just freewheeling in that direction. Let your watch run down completely and see if it winds clockwise. You may have a problem with the movement, but some of the above comments are FALSE.
It doesn't 'decouple' (disengage) at all... when it is fully wound the mainspring just starts slipping in the barrel. But nothing in the winding mechanism actually disengages like a clutch.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 06:38 PM   #16
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Quote:

No, that's false. Any modern automatic watch will not have a "limit" to the amount of times you can continue to turn the crown to wind it.

Unless of course all automatic watches I ever owned have been broken from the beginning.
Old 30 November 2020, 12:26 AM   #17
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSomething View Post
No, that's false. Any modern automatic watch will not have a "limit" to the amount of times you can continue to turn the crown to wind it.

Unless of course all automatic watches I ever owned have been broken from the beginning.
Your watches have been broken from the beginning .
Old 30 November 2020, 12:32 AM   #18
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
It doesn't 'decouple' (disengage) at all... when it is fully wound the mainspring just starts slipping in the barrel. But nothing in the winding mechanism actually disengages like a clutch.
Thanks for nitpicking. Whe you are done by all means address the original question of the thread.
Old 30 November 2020, 01:02 AM   #19
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Your watches have been broken from the beginning .
Do you own an automatic watch? The crown doesn’t stop turning on an automatic watch.
Old 30 November 2020, 01:02 AM   #20
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
The watch is broken. The bigger story here is that you have allowed this to sit unused for over a year. Wear your watches people!
Old 30 November 2020, 01:07 AM   #21
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Thanks for nitpicking. Whe you are done by all means address the original question of the thread.

You're putting wrong info on the forums, in a post where you were saying that other posts were false... And then calling me a nitpicker...

Do your research before you post.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 09:05 AM   #22
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
It doesn't turn at all?...Never heard that one, somethings wrong. I know the new 32XX movements set time counter clockwise having a DJ41 which I do not like at all.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 01:05 PM   #23
slowokan
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Thank all of you guys. Appreciated for your comments for helping me out.

My GMT Pepsi stopped today after letting it sit for a while without turning in my winder, as georgekart suggested. I took it to give it a try. The crown turned like normal. I wound it turning the crown clockwise as usual and it felt so light. As I turned it for about 15 times, it became a little harder but not so so hard. I stopped winding it and screwed the crown back. My watch seems all ok.

So, it means my Pepsi was wound up completely a few days ago thanks to my watch winder. That's why I couldn't wind it anymore. Maybe I could have, if I had applied more pressure, but I wasn't that brave. :)

Many thanks guys.

Now I gotta buy some new batteries for my winder, as they are almost dying. Mechanic watches always need care.
Old 30 November 2020, 01:51 PM   #24
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post

You're putting wrong info on the forums, in a post where you were saying that other posts were false... And then calling me a nitpicker...

Do your research before you post.
What do you know
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 11:03 PM   #25
boricuajr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please
Found the answer

Last edited by boricuajr; 14 July 2021 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: Found the answer to my question after more reading
boricuajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 12:26 AM   #26
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
if the winder is doing that to multiple watches I would not use the winder or see if there is a setting you can change.
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 01:22 AM   #27
slowokan
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozack90 View Post
if the winder is doing that to multiple watches I would not use the winder or see if there is a setting you can change.
My winder is set to minimum. It turns all of watches every 12 minutes. There are 2 settings on it. It's an Orbita winder. 8 minutes and 12 minutes are the options.

What the manufacturer suggested me at the time I purchased is set it to 12 minutes and see if they are fully wound up. I tried that and all are fully wound. They said there is no reason to run it more often setting it in 8 minutes.

I guess the problem was I was a little too anxious to force it while winding. It felt a little hard when I wanted to wind it. Then I learned from other guys on this forum that new Pepsi's movement is different that other GMTs and it'll do that when fully wound.
Old 15 July 2021, 01:23 AM   #28
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Your picture is exceedingly small. Looks like Mk1 bezel.

Old 15 July 2021, 01:27 AM   #29
slowokan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Your picture is exceedingly small. Looks like Mk1 bezel.
It must be MK3, as it was purchased in September 2020.
Old 15 July 2021, 01:37 AM   #30
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Thank all of you guys. Appreciated for your comments for helping me out.

My GMT Pepsi stopped today after letting it sit for a while without turning in my winder, as georgekart suggested. I took it to give it a try. The crown turned like normal. I wound it turning the crown clockwise as usual and it felt so light. As I turned it for about 15 times, it became a little harder but not so so hard. I stopped winding it and screwed the crown back. My watch seems all ok.

So, it means my Pepsi was wound up completely a few days ago thanks to my watch winder. That's why I couldn't wind it anymore. Maybe I could have, if I had applied more pressure, but I wasn't that brave. :)

Many thanks guys.

Now I gotta buy some new batteries for my winder, as they are almost dying. Mechanic watches always need care.
Watch winders are not meant to wind your watch, they are meant to keep it at a constant state of wind.

15 winds of the crown is not sufficient; it will take around 40 winds to fully wind your watch, and as correctly mentioned, you cannot overwind it - it will not stop. If you are delicately turning the crown but afraid because you feel the back-pressure of the winding spring, you need more experience.

Your watch will not wind backwards. That is just a freewheeling ratchet mechanism and does nothing, and it is decidedly different than the winding direction.