The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 25 June 2021, 12:21 AM   #1
GS93108
"TRF" Member

USA - Unloved?

There have been lots of rumblings on TRF for some time about how unloved the US feels. This should give you some comfort:

https://usa.watchpro.com/stupidity-o...rs-piguet-ceo/
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2021, 01:11 AM   #2
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Don't you really mean all non Japanese markets are unloved?

Tough deliemma though, be in the market gets most allocations of pieces generally or be in the markets that get more special LE.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2021, 01:25 AM   #3
bwakus23
"TRF" Member

I believe AP is in line with the 10% figure in terms of what makes it to the US, so I'm not sure this actually does make me feel any better.

Sounds like he thinks AP's strategy is where it needs to be, and he's more admonishing the Vacheron's of the world than anything else.

Hope I'm wrong though! Thanks for sharing!
bwakus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2021, 01:27 AM   #4
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post

Tough deliemma though, be in the market gets most allocations of pieces generally or be in the markets that get more special LE.
I hear Singapore gets a TON of love.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2021, 01:36 AM   #5
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwakus23 View Post
I believe AP is in line with the 10% figure in terms of what makes it to the US, so I'm not sure this actually does make me feel any better.

Sounds like he thinks AP's strategy is where it needs to be, and he's more admonishing the Vacheron's of the world than anything else.

Hope I'm wrong though! Thanks for sharing!
Maybe it's more subjective than I initially read it to be. My take was that FHB believes in the US market and won't let it dwindle.

I spoke to AP directly about the US issue and had it confirmed that AP has proper plans to give the US market some love this year. Coupled with a new NA CEO I believe this to be true.
Old 25 June 2021, 01:39 AM   #6
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Indeed, but I was just following the USA theme from the article and that our US friends are feeling sidelined, but I'm sure the case can be made for more love everywhere :)
Old 25 June 2021, 01:40 AM   #7
bwakus23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
Maybe it's more subjective than I initially read it to be. My take was that FHB believes in the US market and won't let is dwindle.

I spoke to AP directly about the US issue and had it confirmed that AP has proper plans to give the US market some love this year. Coupled with a new NA CEO I believe this to be true.
Wonderful to hear. Thanks again!
bwakus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2021, 04:35 AM   #8
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
That's probably true. But I was thinking more of the drool worthy Japan only LE's.

That platinum QP with black dial? I'd take that love over the Singaporian love any day.
Old 25 June 2021, 05:53 AM   #9
Reign
"TRF" Member

Take this for what it’s worth but the US is definitely not a forgotten market by AP. There is no doubt in my mind that a US LE is on its way.

The Manhattan boutique sells 1,000+ watches a year and is the second highest grossing boutique in the world after Geneva.

Couple that with Bal Harbor (corporate owned), East Hampton, Dallas, Boston (Material Good JVs), Atlanta (WOS JV), Chicago (JV), Beverly Hills, Las Vegas (Westime JVs) and the upcoming AP House and you end up with a pretty material footprint.

Obviously they need more watches to account for the additional points of sale but that will take time to ramp up + it would mean reallocating from another region which is difficult in this environment.

At the very least this gives AP enthusiasts and potential buyers an opportunity to get in front of AP which is arguably way better than before considering they’re very invested in knowing who their end customers are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2021, 02:16 PM   #10
kimwizzzuuu
"TRF" Member

Japan strike once again.
kimwizzzuuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2021, 04:17 PM   #11
Kittayos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
Take this for what it’s worth but the US is definitely not a forgotten market by AP. There is no doubt in my mind that a US LE is on its way.

The Manhattan boutique sells 1,000+ watches a year and is the second highest grossing boutique in the world after Geneva.

Couple that with Bal Harbor (corporate owned), East Hampton, Dallas, Boston (Material Good JVs), Atlanta (WOS JV), Chicago (JV), Beverly Hills, Las Vegas (Westime JVs) and the upcoming AP House and you end up with a pretty material footprint.

Obviously they need more watches to account for the additional points of sale but that will take time to ramp up + it would mean reallocating from another region which is difficult in this environment.

At the very least this gives AP enthusiasts and potential buyers an opportunity to get in front of AP which is arguably way better than before considering they’re very invested in knowing who their end customers are.

I happen to see a total sales number from an insider last year and I can assure you Manhattan boutique is far from top 5. Geneva, Tokyo, Bangkok are among the top performers last year. Not to mention HK, Singapore and Munich. Ginza shop alone delivers no less than 130 pieces/month in q4 last year. But AP will emphasize the US market for sure. No doubt about it. The main issue is supply isn’t catching up with demand.
Kittayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2021, 01:39 AM   #12
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's probably true. But I was thinking more of the drool worthy Japan only LE's.

That platinum QP with black dial? I'd take that love over the Singaporian love any day.
Very true, at this point I would take any love from AP at all
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2021, 05:09 PM   #13
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

The US market gets nothing special. :(

It breaks my heart.

Japan always wins due to Yoshida.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2021, 05:12 PM   #14
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Forgive me, but it *is* forgotten. Why? Yoshida is not the second highest grossing boutique in the world after Geneva, yet they easily get 3-5 LE's each year.

How many have we gotten here in the US?

Quote:
...and the upcoming AP House and you end up with a pretty material footprint.
Where's the new US-based AP House going to be? I haven't heard this one yet.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2021, 05:13 PM   #15
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
“Lucky Ricefield"is the 11th most common Japanese surname so they represent plenty of Rolex buyers.

In any event stop complaining and think about Australian availability.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2021, 09:11 PM   #16
m3jasper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimwizzzuuu View Post
Japan strike once again.
They get the best stuff, imo. The blue sunburst dial Ti self winding tourbillon Royal Oak, 26522TI, is one that I really wish the US would have gotten. Such an awesome piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittayos View Post
I happen to see a total sales number from an insider last year and I can assure you Manhattan boutique is far from top 5. Geneva, Tokyo, Bangkok are among the top performers last year. Not to mention HK, Singapore and Munich. Ginza shop alone delivers no less than 130 pieces/month in q4 last year. But AP will emphasize the US market for sure. No doubt about it. The main issue is supply isn’t catching up with demand.
Unfortunately, NYC didn't have the best leader during the last 18 months and it reflected in their sales, which in turn affected their allocations for this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
The US market gets nothing special. :(

It breaks my heart.

Japan always wins due to Yoshida.
Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Forgive me, but it *is* forgotten. Why? Yoshida is not the second highest grossing boutique in the world after Geneva, yet they easily get 3-5 LE's each year.

How many have we gotten here in the US?

Where's the new US-based AP House going to be? I haven't heard this one yet.
I've been told that the amount of pieces that Yoshida sells out of their little shop is mind bending. Hence their pull with LE's.

In the US, we haven't gotten many. The North American CEO was working on a QP, which was to be released as a LE for the US market. Not sure what happened with it, though, as he's no longer with AP.

The new US AP House will be located in NYC. It is a joint venture with Material Goods.
m3jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2021, 12:44 AM   #17
kimwizzzuuu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3jasper View Post
They get the best stuff, imo. The blue sunburst dial Ti self winding tourbillon Royal Oak, 26522TI, is one that I really wish the US would have gotten. Such an awesome piece.

Unfortunately, NYC didn't have the best leader during the last 18 months and it reflected in their sales, which in turn affected their allocations for this year.

Agreed.

I've been told that the amount of pieces that Yoshida sells out of their little shop is mind bending. Hence their pull with LE's.

In the US, we haven't gotten many. The North American CEO was working on a QP, which was to be released as a LE for the US market. Not sure what happened with it, though, as he's no longer with AP.

The new US AP House will be located in NYC. It is a joint venture with Material Goods.

I hope they carry on working on that LE QP.
kimwizzzuuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2021, 08:35 AM   #18
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

I used to be a huge AP fan. However due to the availability in the US im no longer looking and have lost interest in AP.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
startrolexendrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2021, 01:46 PM   #19
rallyx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Holly's Lady DJ
2021-06-28_13-35-56.jpg

Make Audemars Great in America Again
Old 28 June 2021, 02:02 PM   #20
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by startrolexendrolex View Post
I used to be a huge AP fan. However due to the availability in the US im no longer looking and have lost interest in AP.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Is it because you start with Rolex and end with Rolex? Lol.
Old 28 June 2021, 02:04 PM   #21
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

@m3jaspers reading between the lines does that mean that AP HQ prefers MG’s sales approach and allocation method over AP NY’s? (As also endorsed by their increasing footprint of the JV).
Old 28 June 2021, 07:49 PM   #22
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon5

Is the 15711OI.OO.A006CA.01 Japan market only Diver or available elsewhere in the AP world? (not grey/second hand though)
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2021, 09:20 PM   #23
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
Is the 15711OI.OO.A006CA.01 Japan market only Diver or available elsewhere in the AP world? (not grey/second hand though)
At least two of those have been supplied by AP House London.

It's an amazing model, my favourite diver.

That ship has long since sailed though, all world wide stock was quickly allocated.
Old 28 June 2021, 11:05 PM   #24
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon7

Quote:
At least two of those have been supplied by AP House London.

It's an amazing model, my favourite diver.

That ship has long since sailed though, all world wide stock was quickly allocated.

Ah, ok understood, thanks Gary.
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 03:54 AM   #25
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
I know that's not what you asked (and not helpful in any case), but in late 2020 there were a number of very reasonable deals available from Japanese dealers on C24. Now most of the inventory has moved to the US - and up in price by $15-20k.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 04:52 AM   #26
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
I find that I am losing interest in the AP brand. I own one RO and have no plans to purchase more. I could care less about availability. My only concern is with service. In the US it is vey good, let it continue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 05:55 AM   #27
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

I have been digging into some of the videos and interviews with François and I really appreciate some of his points of view. As someone in the US, I obviously would love more focus here, and specifically more allocation. Some LEs would be great, but just being able to get watches would go a long way.

There are a lot of people coming into a point in their life where they can afford watches like a RO, but not 5 different high end watches or $100K + watches. American's are a pretty loyal group, and the percentage of the customer base that is super into watches is small. If you get someone like me (dual 6 figure income, about to be 40, young kids, settled in a house, paid off cars, etc.) into a base model like the Royal Oak, it won't be long until the wife gets a new watch, the kids for their first jobs, a 50th bday watch, a retirement watch, etc.

My dad always bought GM vehicles, you make AP buyers out of these types of Americans and they will be AP buyers and fans for life. They also will buy watches that have meaning to them and they won't be flipped. Unfortunately, many of us are not trust fund babies and can't spend millions on watches just to have the opportunity to buy the watch they can currently afford.

I would love to buy a full gold RO chrono or perpetual, but that is just not where I am currently, but in a decade, hopefully will be. Sucks that the current market is keeping people like me away. Now, hopefully, because I am persistent, I will be able to build the relationship, but it is crazy hard.

Maybe AP doesn't need people like that though...will be fun to watch their moves though.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 06:48 AM   #28
GS93108
"TRF" Member

FHB won't let the USA be sidelined and I think there is evidence of that in the appointment of a new NA CEO earlier in the year, Ginny Wright. I've emailed with her she's got the 'balls' for the job, IMO, and I don't think she'll shy away from the challenge.

All in all I think the US have some proper love coming their way, it might take a little while to come to full fruition but nevertheless it's coming.

My opinion is contrary to many on here, but I firmly believe that AP treat unknown prospective clients as more than just walking wallets. If you deal with AP directly then you have the opportunity to build a relationship and work your way into something that you properly want. Sure, you aren't getting a ceramic on day 1, but you can get ROOs and ROs, if they like you. Be polite, be effusive and be kind and they'll treat you in the same way, be as ass and expect to be shunned.
Old 22 July 2021, 07:34 AM   #29
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My opinion is contrary to many on here, but I firmly believe that AP treat unknown prospective clients as more than just walking wallets. If you deal with AP directly then you have the opportunity to build a relationship and work your way into something that you properly want. Sure, you aren't getting a ceramic on day 1, but you can get ROOs and ROs, if they like you. Be polite, be effusive and be kind and they'll treat you in the same way, be as ass and expect to be shunned.
This is actually the same feeling I get when I see FHB talk and when I called and talked to them. In the end, these are machinist and artist...not hedge fund managers.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 12:14 AM   #30
ukbbc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post

Wouldn’t say that, boutiques are fairly bare. As others indicated, Bangkok, HK and Tokyo are where the serious action is.

There are quite a few grey dealers with AP, but you don’t know if that stock was from Singapore, or shipped in from elsewhere in the region.

Rolex also completely bare in the Boutiques, well loaded in the grey dealers.

ukbbc is offline   Reply With Quote