The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 4 July 2021, 01:18 AM   #1
wooly
2024 Pledge Member

New arrival for my wife: Grand Seiko STGF359 Snowflake

My wife and I celebrated our 27th wedding anniversary last month and I wanted to get her something special. I looked at various Datejust’s, Omega’s and Cartier’s but realized there’s a 50/50 chance my wife would wear the watch. She’s not a watch fan like us and wears no jewelry other than her modest wedding ring. We got married young and even though we can afford the nice things in life now those things just aren’t important to her. I’m a lucky guy.

Anyway, my AD called yesterday and said the Grand Seiko came in. He texted me this pic and it looks great to me. My wife is petite so I think the size will work for her. Being quartz it’ll be nice so she doesn’t have to fuss with it. I’ve had a number of GS’s and am big fan. I had a Snowflake a couple of years ago and regret selling it here to a fellow forumite. I just may have the AD send me one as well so we have matching watches. We’re traveling for a few days so I won’t get the watch until the 8th. Can wait to give it to her. Hope she likes it.

wooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2021, 01:19 AM   #2
wooly
2024 Pledge Member

Another pic

Old 4 July 2021, 03:20 AM   #3
Dubshack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
I just read about the ladies snowflake yesterday. Looks great. Post some pics on the wife’s wrist when you get it in hand.

Congrats on 27 years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dubshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2021, 03:37 AM   #4
RBradleigh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 Polar
Nice gift wooly but I’d like to see a pic of the GO you’re wearing, a SeaQ?

Old 4 July 2021, 03:38 AM   #5
wooly
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubshack View Post
I just read about the ladies snowflake yesterday. Looks great. Post some pics on the wife’s wrist when you get it in hand.

Congrats on 27 years!

Will do and thanks.
Old 4 July 2021, 03:38 AM   #6
wooly
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBradleigh View Post
Nice gift wooly but I’d like to see a pic of the GO you’re wearing, a SeaQ?

Not mine. That’s the AD texting me a pic.
Old 4 July 2021, 09:19 PM   #7
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
A nice watch for your wife. She should like it and congratulations on 27 years.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2021, 05:00 AM   #8
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Congrats
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2021, 05:06 AM   #9
Cru Jones

Very nice, congratulations. :-)
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2021, 05:56 AM   #10
Trog
Banned

Another winner from GS.
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 11:05 PM   #11
Little machines
"TRF" Member

beautiful watch !! congrats !
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 11:25 AM   #12
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Beautiful
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 11:04 PM   #13
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 01:38 AM   #14
wooly
2024 Pledge Member

I decided to get myself a Snowflake too. Both are on the FedEx truck for delivery today. Can’t wait to give it to her.
Old 9 July 2021, 06:26 AM   #15
Chas58
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooly View Post
I decided to get myself a Snowflake too. Both are on the FedEx truck for delivery today. Can’t wait to give it to her.
That is going to be a great pair. I've thought of doing the same myself!
Chas58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 10:49 AM   #16
kianhowe88
"TRF" Member

Looks great. Been meaning to get one for my wife as well
kianhowe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 03:20 PM   #17
wooly
2024 Pledge Member

Finally getting around to post an update. Have my wife the quartz Snowflake and to my surprise she liked it. I was only surprised because she isn’t into watches and hasn’t had one since the Tag I got her in 1994 for a wedding present. Suffice to say, it looks great on her. Didn’t hurt that I picked up a Snowflake too.

Old 27 July 2021, 11:17 AM   #18
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Finally getting around to post an update. Have my wife the quartz Snowflake and to my surprise she liked it. I was only surprised because she isn’t into watches and hasn’t had one since the Tag I got her in 1994 for a wedding present. Suffice to say, it looks great on her. Didn’t hurt that I picked up a Snowflake too.

Wow, congrats on the lady snowflake, looks awesome. You right, quartz works well for women, no need to fiddle with setting the time, something my wife always made me do when she wants to wear a watch.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 03:34 PM   #19
wooly
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
Wow, congrats on the lady snowflake, looks awesome. You right, quartz works well for women, no need to fiddle with setting the time, something my wife always made me do when she wants to wear a watch.

Thanks. Totally agree. The only thing wrong with that pic is that I set her watch incorrectly haha. No one has noticed or mentioned it.
Old 27 July 2021, 09:15 PM   #20
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks. Totally agree. The only thing wrong with that pic is that I set her watch incorrectly haha. No one has noticed or mentioned it.
I thought you the type who likes to set it fast.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 01:25 AM   #21
Martin
Banned

Watch: 116610LN, 216570
It's beautiful
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 01:41 AM   #22
Ghost410
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Beautiful! You’ve inspired me to eventually get this matching set for me and my old lady
Ghost410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 02:10 AM   #23
wooly
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
I thought you the type who likes to set it fast.

That’s funny. So she won’t be late!
Old 28 July 2021, 02:10 AM   #24
wooly
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost410 View Post
Beautiful! You’ve inspired me to eventually get this matching set for me and my old lady

My wife gives me a lot of crap for my purchases. Watches, mountain bikes, knives, etc. So when I have her the watch for our anniversary and it came out that o got one too she rolled her eyes and laughed.
Old 22 December 2023, 02:16 AM   #25
chaosiwe
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 114060
Hello, Wooly. Congrats on your anniversary (you probably already heading to the 30th one:))
I am currently having the same dilemma - have a 15th anniversary next April and was looking for a pair of matching his and her watches. My wifey is very similar in many instances to your wife - doesn't really wear jewelry, used to have a Seiko, but not anymore -currently wears only a fitness band))

I've looked through many watches and currently considering following options: 1) Cartier Must (Small quartz and XL auto) - the only concern is I already have Cartier (Santos) which is very similar; 2) Tag Heuer Carrera Date (39 mm and 29mm - both automatic, really like the looks and water resistance, but don't like power reserve 38h and 40 hours - can't even live over the weekend), 3) Longines Flagship, good power reserve, but poor water resistance). Searching for other options I came across your post and love the pair of Snowflakes (once again, the only concern - I already have a very similar GS - SBGA375 (3 hands, PR indicator, Spring Drive) which I chose over Snowflake some time ago)))
Anyways, just wanted to thank you for sharing your story and can you please let us know how is the watch performing over this 2.5 years
And for everyone else - any other ideas of matching watches. Ideally I want them to have the same look and only differ in size, HIS -39-40mm, HER - below 30, prefer automatic, but with decent power reserve, water resistance of 50m and more is preferred. Will appreciate if you can share any ideas. Thanks in advance
chaosiwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2023, 01:53 PM   #26
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosiwe View Post
Hello, Wooly. Congrats on your anniversary (you probably already heading to the 30th one:))
I am currently having the same dilemma - have a 15th anniversary next April and was looking for a pair of matching his and her watches. My wifey is very similar in many instances to your wife - doesn't really wear jewelry, used to have a Seiko, but not anymore -currently wears only a fitness band))

I've looked through many watches and currently considering following options: 1) Cartier Must (Small quartz and XL auto) - the only concern is I already have Cartier (Santos) which is very similar; 2) Tag Heuer Carrera Date (39 mm and 29mm - both automatic, really like the looks and water resistance, but don't like power reserve 38h and 40 hours - can't even live over the weekend), 3) Longines Flagship, good power reserve, but poor water resistance). Searching for other options I came across your post and love the pair of Snowflakes (once again, the only concern - I already have a very similar GS - SBGA375 (3 hands, PR indicator, Spring Drive) which I chose over Snowflake some time ago)))
Anyways, just wanted to thank you for sharing your story and can you please let us know how is the watch performing over this 2.5 years
And for everyone else - any other ideas of matching watches. Ideally I want them to have the same look and only differ in size, HIS -39-40mm, HER - below 30, prefer automatic, but with decent power reserve, water resistance of 50m and more is preferred. Will appreciate if you can share any ideas. Thanks in advance
Hmmm.
Maybe you both should get a his and hers Snowflake
They'd be pretty hard to beat as a pair and they fit the criterior, also adding the Snowflake would be a compliment to the sbga375.

I have eyed off the sbga375 myself and it's beautiful. As I'm not a particularly big fan of the PR indicator on the front. The sbga375 is a beautifully executed way to do it. Sort of discreet in the classiest way
How do you find the beauty of the grammar of design format on the wrist?
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2023, 08:50 PM   #27
chaosiwe
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Hmmm.
Maybe you both should get a his and hers Snowflake
They'd be pretty hard to beat as a pair and they fit the criterior, also adding the Snowflake would be a compliment to the sbga375.

I have eyed off the sbga375 myself and it's beautiful. As I'm not a particularly big fan of the PR indicator on the front. The sbga375 is a beautifully executed way to do it. Sort of discreet in the classiest way
How do you find the beauty of the grammar of design format on the wrist?
Thank you for your comments, Dirt! I love my SBGA375, the design of 44GS case is beautiful in my eyes, the dial, how it changes in different lightning conditions is superb. I am considering to add another GS to my collection, but wanted it to be somewhat different from my SBGA in both looks and complications, e.g. one of the models I am considering right now is SBGM221 which is GMT, automatic mechanism etc. While Snowflake (being a very nice watch by itself) is in many instances similar to my SBGA375. So far I am torn between Cartier (Tank) and GS (Snowflake)
chaosiwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 02:58 AM   #28
wooly
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Hi there. Sorry for the delay. My wife wears her lady Snowflake periodically when she decides to wear a watch. We live in So Cal near the beach and she rarely wears any jewelry besides her wedding ring. I’m still glad I got her the GS as it commemorated a special event and I think the snowflake fits her modest but beautiful style perfectly.

As for a recommendation: I’d stay with a classic brand and design. I looked hard at Cartier before I got the GS for her. But she’s just not a Cartier kind of girl. No doubt that they make some beautiful iconic watches. His and her Tanks would be awesome if you can swing it financially and style wise. Depending on your wife I’d consider a Cartier. The GS is beautiful and understated. I think you go with what you think best fits her personality. If it’s GS, his and her Snowflakes is my choice

Good luck!

Old 23 December 2023, 05:31 AM   #29
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you for your comments, Dirt! I love my SBGA375, the design of 44GS case is beautiful in my eyes, the dial, how it changes in different lightning conditions is superb. I am considering to add another GS to my collection, but wanted it to be somewhat different from my SBGA in both looks and complications, e.g. one of the models I am considering right now is SBGM221 which is GMT, automatic mechanism etc. While Snowflake (being a very nice watch by itself) is in many instances similar to my SBGA375. So far I am torn between Cartier (Tank) and GS (Snowflake)
Cartier very nice. That never crossed my mind at all, but I still back the pair of Snowflates
About 2 weeks ago I handled the small Snowflake after I sort of stumbled upon it.
I was just cruising by the windows hoping to get eyes on a sbgy011 which is sort of stuck in my head these days.

As soon as I saw the little Snowflake in the window it literally blew me away and seemed to tick so many fundamental boxes not to mention price, as I think Quartz is generally well suited to life on a ladies wrist. Especially if only worn intermittently.
The Snowflake is so very different from the 375 that I think you will enjoy the diversity plus it's Titanuim so it will feel entirely different. No body does Titanium like GS

Please let us know how you get on?
A couple of happy snaps would be nice regardless of which way you go
Especially under the Christmas tree
Old 23 December 2023, 05:34 AM   #30
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi there. Sorry for the delay. My wife wears her lady Snowflake periodically when she decides to wear a watch. We live in So Cal near the beach and she rarely wears any jewelry besides her wedding ring. I’m still glad I got her the GS as it commemorated a special event and I think the snowflake fits her modest but beautiful style perfectly.

As for a recommendation: I’d stay with a classic brand and design. I looked hard at Cartier before I got the GS for her. But she’s just not a Cartier kind of girl. No doubt that they make some beautiful iconic watches. His and her Tanks would be awesome if you can swing it financially and style wise. Depending on your wife I’d consider a Cartier. The GS is beautiful and understated. I think you go with what you think best fits her personality. If it’s GS, his and her Snowflakes is my choice

Good luck!

Love your his and hers wrist shot
Thanks so much for sharing your pic of the very best his and hers combo in the watch world