The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 July 2021, 06:37 AM   #1
Alexxonvaldez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
Rolex 14060m 4 lines Submariner : All Dial Versions

The Rolex Submariner No-Date 4 lines 14060m with COSC certified 3130 Cal. was released in 2006 (Z series) and discontinued in 2010 or 2011 (G series and random S.N.).

Numerous NOS watches for sale online come with a 2011 or 2012 invoice, although, to this very date, the maxi-case 114060 was already introduced at Basel and certainly crowding the assembly lines… La “marque à la Couronne” switched to random serial numbers somewhere in 2010, therefore it’s almost impossible to close this chapter.

It’s pure, elegant and wide open 2+4 lines glossy dial experienced only three variants, no more no less!

Some of the cadraniers, the dial firms, which supplied the company for ages, merged into Rolex SA through the years.
I couldn’t find any legit spare dial for sale out there so far nor have been able to spot a dial’s back, clearly visible and legible, on any Sub’s maintenance or repair photo or video report. Thus, I can’t affirm which firm printed this or that dial.

Nevertheless, some clues arise from the past. For instance, the “Five-O” pattern seems to be the hallmark of Beyeler (written in full all over the back of the dial or stamped with a ß) since the 1680/16800 Sub’s references (and certainly before but my knowledge ends here). Did Beyeler & Cie SA provided the “Five-O” 14060m dials? It’s undeniable, since the 200 employees’ firm was bought by Rolex S.A. in 2000 and settled in Rolex Chêne-Bourg facility.
Were the two discontinued ones printed by a counterpart or in-house? Only Rolex knows.

I gleaned most of the information below on Drouot, Christie’s, Sotheby’s and the Parisian pawn shop Crédit municipal de Paris past auctions databases, including a few blogs and the online marketplace Chrono 24.
The following classification is empirical, I dare say quite accurate, and I hope you’ll approve my terminology and enjoy this little journey into this short-lived Submariner reference...

Mark I : Serif Small “ft” offset
2006-2010
Featured in Z, M, mostly V series (2008, by a vast majority) and a few random S.N.
The most thin and delicate font of the three, served by an elaborate Serif typeface.

A third of the hundred+ 14060m 4 lines watches I reviewed was showing this dial.

Serif typeface, Thin font, Pointed “A”
Small Feet and “m” in Italic letters, “=” in roman (hardly legible).
The dial owes its name from an anomaly:
the big gap between “=” and “300m”
More than enough to christens it “the offset dial”
Oval zeros in 1000ft= 300m.
“Swiss made” over 3 shortened minute markers

Serif OP
Wide open coronet base, Large “R” and “L”

Mark II : Sans-Serif Small “ft” even
2009-2011
Featured lately in G series (2010) and mainly in random (2011). I could only spot one V serial number with this clean and legible pattern, none before.
A well-balanced and clear dial, some would say architectural or a bit dull and repetitive because of the 5 lines Sans-Serif "stick" typeface.

The Mark II dial adorns about 40% of the 14060m 4 lines out there.

Sans-Serif typeface, Thin font, Flat “A”
Small Feet and “m” in Italic letters, “=” in roman.
Oval zeros in 1000Ft = 300m

Sans-Serif OP
Small coronet base

Mark III / Service : Sans-Serif Long “Ft” Five-O
2009-present
Mostly early Z and M series (2006-2007), and already a few recently serviced ones.
Were the very early ones serviced or fitted with this Beyeler-ish dial from the beginning?
A very legible, generous et comforting dial. A strong bridge between 5 and 6 digits Subs.

One out of four 14060m 4 lines is bearing the Mark III dial.

Sans-Serif typeface, Semi-bold font, Flat “A”
Long Feet, “=” and “m” in Italic letters
Instead of Oval zeros in 1000Ft=300m, the dial shows five round O
As we have seen before, the “1” is pretty distinctive, looking like an I: IOOOFt=300m

Sans-Serif OP
Round coronet base
The “E” middle branch is closer to the upper

The layout of the actual Service Dial was shown to me at Bucherer Paris Rolex Service Center a few month ago and at Rolex French Headquarter this morning. It’s the Mark III dial without a doubt. I can therefore assert that the “Long Good F” (Long Feet) dial, which presumptuous sellers are confident to command a premium for on certain marketplaces is not scarce and will not dry up or dwindle in the coming years, in the contrary.
As a matter of fact, as we reached the 10 years service timeframe, this dial may have already superseded the two other on a routine basis in a few watches, considering the policy of swapping parts each time Rolex finds them outdated.
To recover a crisp and bright lume on your tool watch is not a service most of us would decline for “the Last of the Best” after all…

Yours Alex.
Alexxonvaldez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 06:47 AM   #2
Alexxonvaldez
"TRF" Member

Isn't the true heir of the Submariner 5512 looking sturdy and efficient on a Marine Nationale strap ?
Whatever the dial you chose or whatever dial has chosen you, wear it with pride !

A.
Old 7 July 2021, 09:56 AM   #3
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Wow! Thank you for this information. I was one of those who thought the “long-f” 4-liners were rare and worthy of an extra premium. But if the service replacement dials are all long-f’s, then the value certainly isn’t there. Anyway, I’m grateful to have purchased a 2-liner.

As an aside, I believe the 14060M is the best Sub ever made.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 10:36 AM   #4
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko,Casio,Rolex
Thanks for this interesting post. I’ve had mine for over 10 years now and it is the Mark 1 dial. I tried to sell it a few years ago but I’m glad I kept it and now I wear it often.
Chuckwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 09:42 AM   #5
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Here is my V serial 4-liner for your research. Appears to be Mark I?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 11:26 PM   #6
Alexxonvaldez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post
Here is my V serial 4-liner for your research. Appears to be Mark I?
Absolutely ! A very common template in the 2008/2009 V series (like mine).
Old 12 July 2021, 02:32 AM   #7
baamvino
"TRF" Member

Interesting!
baamvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 08:31 AM   #8
Dazthebeard
"TRF" Member

Sorry I can't post of picture. Mine appears to be the MK2 dial, random serial with papers dated to 2011
Dazthebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 06:36 PM   #9
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
How refreshing...a thread about the watch, not its acquisition...

I purchased a new 14060M, a "G" serial number, from an AD in November 2011. The Submariner Date had already gone to the new lug design and "maxi" dial, ceramic bezel, and I suspected the same "upgrades" might happen to the "no date" Sub (or, as the orthodox WIS would say, the Submariner). I loved everything about the 14060M, including its lack of a date complication, which gave the dial such a clean look and was true to the roots of the Submariner, a true purpose built watch with nothing not needed for that purpose.

At the time, I was ignorant of the two liner vs. four liner debate, or the rehaut engraving. I just knew I was buying a classic Sub, and COSC certified to boot.

Thanks to this thread, I now know it has the "mark II" dial, which is consistent with the production timeline and "G" serial number.

It was, and is, a favorite. And, no disrespect to the Submariner Date and all references of both, before or since. They are all fantastic watches. But, that 14060M, with its aluminum bezel, and mark II dial, is, quite possibly, my all time favorite watch. I just wound mine up after scrutinizing its dial under a magnifying glass. Haven't worn it recently, so...time to remedy that!

Thanks again for a thread about the nuances of these great watches...
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 02:52 AM   #10
Dazthebeard
"TRF" Member

Its perfect.

Dazthebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 06:33 AM   #11
Alexxonvaldez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Archer View Post
How refreshing...a thread about the watch, not its acquisition...
At the time, I was ignorant of the two liner vs. four liner debate, or the rehaut engraving. I just knew I was buying a classic Sub, and COSC certified to boot.
I just wound mine up after scrutinizing its dial under a magnifying glass. Haven't worn it recently, so...time to remedy that!
Thanks again for a thread about the nuances of these great watches...
Hello Sir and thank you for your story ! Who would have thought ten or fifteen years ago we'd discussing today the fonts of these watches ?

A "Reference points" video published by Hodinkee dedicated to the Sea-Dweller declared this legendary timekeeper was showing the widest panorama of dials. My recent dive into the 16610's dial revealed this vey reference received even more different faces throughout its life. Much more still remains undiscovered !

More modest, the 14060m and its three dials goes straight to the point. A true and effective homage to the 5512 (oyster case, aluminum bezel, stamped clasp, no-date, 4 lines...) and further more, the last affordable Rolex tool watch any city dweller in quest of adventure could easily find and buy.
Old 20 July 2022, 02:47 AM   #12
austinp
"TRF" Member

Found this interesting. The small changes that Rolex makes to their dials is cool. I never noticed on mine but it’s the offset first variant.

austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2022, 02:52 AM   #13
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
good info, thanks for sharing
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2022, 03:34 AM   #14
LFFL
"TRF" Member

good info, checking mine now :)
LFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2022, 05:03 AM   #15
IgCarr
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 16800 16220 14270
Great info! I love posts like this which recently are as rare as some of the dials mentioned. Thank you so much.

But you forgot to say whether it was safe to wear out.
IgCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2022, 06:19 AM   #16
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Excellent post. Thank you.
Old 21 July 2022, 01:14 AM   #17
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexxonvaldez View Post
The Rolex Submariner No-Date 4 lines 14060m with COSC certified 3130 Cal. was released in 2006 (Z series) and discontinued in 2010 or 2011 (G series and random S.N.).

Numerous NOS watches for sale online come with a 2011 or 2012 invoice, although, to this very date, the maxi-case 114060 was already introduced at Basel and certainly crowding the assembly lines… La “marque à la Couronne” switched to random serial numbers somewhere in 2010, therefore it’s almost impossible to close this chapter.

It’s pure, elegant and wide open 2+4 lines glossy dial experienced only three variants, no more no less!

Some of the cadraniers, the dial firms, which supplied the company for ages, merged into Rolex SA through the years.
I couldn’t find any legit spare dial for sale out there so far nor have been able to spot a dial’s back, clearly visible and legible, on any Sub’s maintenance or repair photo or video report. Thus, I can’t affirm which firm printed this or that dial.

Nevertheless, some clues arise from the past. For instance, the “Five-O” pattern seems to be the hallmark of Beyeler (written in full all over the back of the dial or stamped with a ß) since the 1680/16800 Sub’s references (and certainly before but my knowledge ends here). Did Beyeler & Cie SA provided the “Five-O” 14060m dials? It’s undeniable, since the 200 employees’ firm was bought by Rolex S.A. in 2000 and settled in Rolex Chêne-Bourg facility.
Were the two discontinued ones printed by a counterpart or in-house? Only Rolex knows.

I gleaned most of the information below on Drouot, Christie’s, Sotheby’s and the Parisian pawn shop Crédit municipal de Paris past auctions databases, including a few blogs and the online marketplace Chrono 24.
The following classification is empirical, I dare say quite accurate, and I hope you’ll approve my terminology and enjoy this little journey into this short-lived Submariner reference...

Mark I : Serif Small “ft” offset
2006-2010
Featured in Z, M, mostly V series (2008, by a vast majority) and a few random S.N.
The most thin and delicate font of the three, served by an elaborate Serif typeface.

A third of the hundred+ 14060m 4 lines watches I reviewed was showing this dial.

Serif typeface, Thin font, Pointed “A”
Small Feet and “m” in Italic letters, “=” in roman (hardly legible).
The dial owes its name from an anomaly:
the big gap between “=” and “300m”
More than enough to christens it “the offset dial”
Oval zeros in 1000ft= 300m.

Serif OP
Wide open coronet base, Large “R” and “L”

Mark II : Sans-Serif Small “ft” even
2009-2011
Featured lately in G series (2010) and mainly in random (2011). I could only spot one V serial number with this clean and legible pattern, none before.
A well-balanced and clear dial, some would say architectural or a bit dull and repetitive because of the 5 lines Sans-Serif "stick" typeface.

The Mark II dial adorns about 40% of the 14060m 4 lines out there.

Sans-Serif typeface, Thin font, Flat “A”
Small Feet and “m” in Italic letters, “=” in roman.
Oval zeros in 1000Ft = 300m

Sans-Serif OP
Small coronet base

Mark III / Service : Sans-Serif Long “Ft” Five-O
2009-present
Mostly early Z and M series (2006-2007), and already a few recently serviced ones.
Were the very early ones serviced or fitted with this Beyeler-ish dial from the beginning?
A very legible, generous et comforting dial. A strong bridge between 5 and 6 digits Subs.

One out of four 14060m 4 lines is bearing the Mark III dial.

Sans-Serif typeface, Semi-bold font, Flat “A”
Long Feet, “=” and “m” in Italic letters
Instead of Oval zeros in 1000Ft=300m, the dial shows five round O
As we have seen before, the “1” is pretty distinctive, looking like an I: IOOOFt=300m

Sans-Serif OP
Round coronet base
The “E” middle branch is closer to the upper

The layout of the actual Service Dial was shown to me at Bucherer Paris Rolex Service Center a few month ago and at Rolex French Headquarter this morning. It’s the Mark III dial without a doubt. I can therefore assert that the “Long Good F” (Long Feet) dial, which presumptuous sellers are confident to command a premium for on certain marketplaces is not scarce and will not dry up or dwindle in the coming years, in the contrary.
As a matter of fact, as we reached the 10 years service timeframe, this dial may have already superseded the two other on a routine basis in a few watches, considering the policy of swapping parts each time Rolex finds them outdated.
To recover a crisp and bright lume on your tool watch is not a service most of us would decline for “the Last of the Best” after all…

Yours Alex.
Love this stuff. Mark II is aesthetically my favorite dial, but can’t go wrong with a 14060M.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2022, 02:18 AM   #18
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Fantastic

Thankyou for taking the time to catalogue this and remind us of the little things which have made the brand so interesting for the true enthusiast.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2022, 02:20 AM   #19
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFFL View Post
good info, checking mine now :)
Lol. That's the way
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2022, 02:35 AM   #20
Steph-paul
"TRF" Member

Interesting post, thanks.
Steph-paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 12:49 PM   #21
SkipperJoe
"TRF" Member

Hi all, sorry to resurrect this old thread. Could anyone help me identify which dial variant this is? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3863.jpeg (220.7 KB, 822 views)
SkipperJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 01:15 PM   #22
PepsiBezel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Neo-Vintage
Thank you! Long “f” fan here.
PepsiBezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 04:01 PM   #23
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipperJoe View Post
Hi all, sorry to resurrect this old thread. Could anyone help me identify which dial variant this is? Thanks!
To my eye, nothing looks right about that dial.

There are too many things to even get started.

It's possible that it's just a bad picture, but I don't think that's it.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 06:44 PM   #24
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
Wow! Thank you for this information. I was one of those who thought the “long-f” 4-liners were rare and worthy of an extra premium. But if the service replacement dials are all long-f’s, then the value certainly isn’t there. Anyway, I’m grateful to have purchased a 2-liner.

As an aside, I believe the 14060M is the best Sub ever made.
Well in the real world seeing dials are made in 3 different factories now all owned by Rolex.There always will be and always have been tiny variations to most all dials over production years.But today mainly sellers have noted these variations with words like rare, collectible etc, to extract more from those willing to pay.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 09:48 PM   #25
huba01
"TRF" Member

What a fantastic read, thanks so much for sharing.
This is what makes me love this forum
huba01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2022, 10:31 AM   #26
SkipperJoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
To my eye, nothing looks right about that dial.

There are too many things to even get started.

It's possible that it's just a bad picture, but I don't think that's it.

Hey there, thanks for commenting. Would you mind telling me a bit more? This is a friend's watch. Trying to help him out a bit.

Part of me wonders if my iPhone camera "pops" out the text on ultra zoom like that, thinking it's a doc or something.
Old 9 December 2022, 11:02 AM   #27
MJZRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060M
I wish I had this same information for the 14060M 2-liner.
MJZRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2022, 05:30 AM   #28
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Hey there, thanks for commenting. Would you mind telling me a bit more? This is a friend's watch. Trying to help him out a bit.

Part of me wonders if my iPhone camera "pops" out the text on ultra zoom like that, thinking it's a doc or something.
I'm not going to try to get into it. Maybe it's just the camera, but I'd have it checked out locally, just to be sure. I will say that it's just the dial that looks off. The rehaut engraving looks okay, but that's all I can say.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Old 11 December 2022, 04:32 AM   #29
SkipperJoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I'm not going to try to get into it. Maybe it's just the camera, but I'd have it checked out locally, just to be sure. I will say that it's just the dial that looks off. The rehaut engraving looks okay, but that's all I can say.

Appreciate it. An associate at a local Rolex AD took a look with a loupe last night and said the dial looks good. (They don't have a watchmaker on staff to take a peak at the guts).
Old 12 December 2022, 01:47 AM   #30
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Appreciate it. An associate at a local Rolex AD took a look with a loupe last night and said the dial looks good. (They don't have a watchmaker on staff to take a peak at the guts).