The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 July 2021, 06:24 AM   #1
sub-eddie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Very Depressing!!

I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this sob story but here it goes. It all started about a decade ago. I got into this hobby of buying and trying all types of rolex watches. Never as a profit as I lost money on each one that I sold to acquire another one. It was so much fun hunting down subs of all generations, gmt's, even daytona, which I got a chance to own 2 of them in my lifetime, one white dial and a two tone version that I purchased from Jewelers on time for about 10500 or so at that time. The two tone is was a little more. I had the privilege of owning almost all sports models from vintage to non-ceramic to the latest and greatest, the deepseas (I have owned 4 in total at different times.)

I purchased a batman for about 8600, practically new. I has so much fun buying, using them for a while, then flipping them for another different one and so on. I never made a profit which was not what I was after but rather the fun of collecting and wearing them with pride. They were so attainable to me at that time. I was able to have about 5 in my collection at the peak of my hobby. I enjoyed vintage gmt's, vintage datejusts, (which at the time you could buy a datejust head for about 1000 dollars and put a leather strap on it.) Fast forward 5 years and the fun is all over. I can't do that anymore. What has happened to this world? I cannot convince myself to get a beautiful GMT master 2 ceramic first generation for 14000 or so when I was able to buy them for 6800!!!

I remember buying an Hulk for 7800 and I couldn't sell it for 7000 to fund another different watch. I even went as far as buying a womens datejust for whenever I got married I would give it my wife as a gift to get her started in the hobby as well (I havent found the wife so I sold the watch.) I check prices almost every other day in hopes that I will see prices dropping but that seems like its never going to happen. I really miss those days where I would look forward to the "incoming" posts where I would show off my new acquisitions, etc. Now, I only have a deepsea which I paid retail (6 years old.) I wish I could add a gmt or something a little different to my single watch collection but not only can I not afford it, I just cant get myself to pay almost 20000 dollars for a watch that I could buy for way less than 10000 just a few years ago. As a rolex watch enthusiast, I cannot enjoy the hobby as I did before and had so much fun with it. I just thought I share my story and wonder if anyone can relate to this.
sub-eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 06:30 AM   #2
MattyL147
"TRF" Member

Paragraphs are your friend. With an edit, maybe I'll read.
MattyL147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 06:32 AM   #3
RolexguyinSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
You're not alone

We're all in the same boat. Who knew just a few short years ago you could buy any model for MSRP or possibly a discount. How times have changed. I'm on a few waiting lists, but I just relax and remind myself how fortunate I am to even have one Rolex at the moment that I can wear. Things can always be worse.
RolexguyinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 06:32 AM   #4
sub-eddie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyL147 View Post
As you wish.
Old 9 July 2021, 06:34 AM   #5
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Edit for Sub Eddie:

Very depressing,

I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this sob story but here it goes.

It all started about a decade ago. I got into this hobby of buying and trying all types of rolex watches. Never as a profit as I lost money on each one that I sold to acquire another one. It was so much fun hunting down subs of all generations, gmt's, even daytona, which I got a chance to own 2 of them in my lifetime, one white dial and a two tone version that I purchased from Jewelers on time for about 9900 or so at that time. The two tone is was a little more.

I had the privilege of owning almost all sports models from non-ceramic to the latest and greatest, the deepseas (I have owned 4 in total at different times.) I purchased a batman for about 8600, practically new. I has so much fun buying, using them for a while, then flipping them for another different one and so on. I never made a profit which was not what I was after but rather the fun of collecting and wearing them with pride.

They were so attainable to me at that time. I was able to have about 5 in my collection at the peak of my hobby. I enjoyed vintage gmt's, vintage datejusts, (which at the time you could buy a datejust head for about 1000 dollars and put a leather strap on it.)

Fast forward 5 years and the fun is all over. I can't do that anymore. What has happened to this world? I cannot convince myself to get a beautiful GMT master 2 ceramic first generation for 14000 or so when I purchased a few back then for 6800 each!!!

I remember buying an Hulk for 7800 and I couldn't sell it for 7000 just to buy another different watch. I even went as far as buying a womens datejust for whenever I got married I would give it my wife as a gift to get her started in the hobby as well (I havent found the wife so I sold the watch.)

I check prices almost every other day in hopes that I will see prices dropping but that seems like its never going to happen. I really miss those days where I would look forward to the "incoming" posts where I would show off my new acquisitions, etc. Now, I only have a deepsea which I paid retail for on a 6 year old watch.

I wish I could add a gmt or something a little different to my single watch collection but not only can I not afford it, I just cant get myself to pay almost 20000 dollars for a watch that I could buy for way less than 10000 just a few years ago. As a rolex watch enthusiast, I cannot enjoy the hobby as I did before and had so much fun with it.

I just thought I share my story and wonder if anyone can relate to this
Old 9 July 2021, 06:35 AM   #6
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Nope still a lot of copy but I do understand friend!
Old 9 July 2021, 06:41 AM   #7
samuel019
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
I agree with your sentiment. Theres thousands of us that feel the same.

The only reply you are gonna get here is yeah we know, not another one of these threads, go Grey, give up, buy other brands, and on and on and on.

The replies, some are smart a**ed and some are just because the sheer amount of volume of these type posts.

Having said this, I feel you. It sucks but theres nothing anyone here can do about it my friend.
Old 9 July 2021, 06:41 AM   #8
sub-eddie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Edit for Sub Eddie:

Very depressing,

I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this sob story but here it goes.

It all started about a decade ago. I got into this hobby of buying and trying all types of rolex watches. Never as a profit as I lost money on each one that I sold to acquire another one. It was so much fun hunting down subs of all generations, gmt's, even daytona, which I got a chance to own 2 of them in my lifetime, one white dial and a two tone version that I purchased from Jewelers on time for about 9900 or so at that time. The two tone is was a little more.

I had the privilege of owning almost all sports models from non-ceramic to the latest and greatest, the deepseas (I have owned 4 in total at different times.) I purchased a batman for about 8600, practically new. I has so much fun buying, using them for a while, then flipping them for another different one and so on. I never made a profit which was not what I was after but rather the fun of collecting and wearing them with pride.

They were so attainable to me at that time. I was able to have about 5 in my collection at the peak of my hobby. I enjoyed vintage gmt's, vintage datejusts, (which at the time you could buy a datejust head for about 1000 dollars and put a leather strap on it.)

Fast forward 5 years and the fun is all over. I can't do that anymore. What has happened to this world? I cannot convince myself to get a beautiful GMT master 2 ceramic first generation for 14000 or so when I purchased a few back then for 6800 each!!!

I remember buying an Hulk for 7800 and I couldn't sell it for 7000 just to buy another different watch. I even went as far as buying a womens datejust for whenever I got married I would give it my wife as a gift to get her started in the hobby as well (I havent found the wife so I sold the watch.)

I check prices almost every other day in hopes that I will see prices dropping but that seems like its never going to happen. I really miss those days where I would look forward to the "incoming" posts where I would show off my new acquisitions, etc. Now, I only have a deepsea which I paid retail for on a 6 year old watch.

I wish I could add a gmt or something a little different to my single watch collection but not only can I not afford it, I just cant get myself to pay almost 20000 dollars for a watch that I could buy for way less than 10000 just a few years ago. As a rolex watch enthusiast, I cannot enjoy the hobby as I did before and had so much fun with it.

I just thought I share my story and wonder if anyone can relate to this
Thanks for the edit. I will use this sentence structure from now on.
Old 9 July 2021, 06:45 AM   #9
doogan
"TRF" Member

Are you interested in any other brands? Tudor, Omega, Grand Seiko make great watches that are available.
doogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 06:46 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It sounds like you either haven’t found the right watch that you want to own and wear, or you enjoy owning a lot of different watches and want to be able to buy and sell for minimal loss.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 06:47 AM   #11
sub-eddie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post
I agree with your sentiment. Theres thousands of us that feel the same.

The only reply you are gonna get here is yeah we know, not another one of these threads, go Grey, give up, buy other brands, and on and on and on.

The replies, some are smart a**ed and some are just because the sheer amount of volume of these type posts.

Having said this, I feel you. It sucks but theres nothing anyone here can do about it my friend.
I haven't been around the forums lately because my hobby has just diminished, and didn't realize that this topic is common. But you are right, I'm sure a lot have felt the same way.
Old 9 July 2021, 06:48 AM   #12
Deepseadoug
Banned

Well I hate to be the guy that breaks the bad news to ya but guess what it ain’t 5 years ago and things change so toughen up. Get on some lists, pop into some ads, you might not get a gmt for 6800 but you might score one for 9500 n not have to shell out big money with a little patience n luck. Cheer up buddy it ain’t the end of the world I wish I could buy 55 chevys at the price they were in 55 but after a few paragraph posts and a couple grown man tears on the Chevy forum I felt better too. Go get yourself a nice ice Cream sundae with nuts at McDonald’s and a ice cold coke and you’ll feel better in no time.
Deepseadoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 06:50 AM   #13
sub-eddie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogan View Post
Are you interested in any other brands? Tudor, Omega, Grand Seiko make great watches that are available.
Mostly a fan of rolex. I was in the hunt for the jaws watch, the alsta natoscaph but are hard to find closest to the one richard dreyfus was wearing.
Old 9 July 2021, 06:51 AM   #14
sub-eddie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepseadoug View Post
Well I hate to be the guy that breaks the bad news to ya but guess what it ain’t 5 years ago and things change so toughen up. Get on some lists, pop into some ads, you might not get a gmt for 6800 but you might score one for 9500 n not have to shell out big money with a little patience n luck. Cheer up buddy it ain’t the end of the world I wish I could buy 55 chevys at the price they were in 55 but after a few paragraph posts and a couple grown man tears on the Chevy forum I felt better too. Go get yourself a nice ice Cream sundae with nuts at McDonald’s and a ice cold coke and you’ll feel better in no time.
Tried that, don't work.
Old 9 July 2021, 06:52 AM   #15
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
2 words…Tudor.

Ok wait that is 1. So I will say it again…Tudor
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 06:55 AM   #16
sub-eddie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
It sounds like you either haven’t found the right watch that you want to own and wear, or you enjoy owning a lot of different watches and want to be able to buy and sell for minimal loss.
Do you know how hard it is to just have one watch for an enthusiast? If it was up to me I would have one of each model but that would be impossible. But like I said, its the hunt, the acquisition, wearing it, and then collect as many as possible without getting into debt. Like some say, its a disease.
Old 9 July 2021, 07:01 AM   #17
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
You’re living in the past my friend. Those days are long gone.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 07:02 AM   #18
sski
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ & ✠
For whatever it's worth it's not only Rolexes; I been checking out a simple G series 911 from the 80's....and the prices are stratospheric.

Pretty much $65K+ asking price (and over 100K+ miles.) Lower mileage examples go much higher, $100K+

I should've picked a Guards Rail Red example with black leather when they were going in the 35-45K range. Such is life.
sski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 07:07 AM   #19
sub-eddie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddyspaghetti View Post
It's a little different with this case. I understand prices go up every year and through the decades. But how can a watch such as the pre ceramic sub go from 4000 to 9500 in just a matter of months? If prices would have kept up with inflation, the economy, etc., then they would not be this expensive.

Please note, this is just a discussion and not meant to say who is right or wrong or anything like that.
Old 9 July 2021, 07:14 AM   #20
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub-eddie View Post
Thanks for the edit. I will use this sentence structure from now on.
No problem. I feel your pain and just threw that down quickly. Good luck to you!!
Old 9 July 2021, 07:15 AM   #21
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I wouldn't get depressed over anything watch related.

But I've always been an eternal optimist too...
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 07:24 AM   #22
Longhorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: HULK SMASH
I share in your pain. I only recently had the disposable income that I once dreamed would allow me to buy and trade PM Rolex models, and now it's not even enough for me to get a SS Daytona on the grey market. At least you had the privilege to do it early on and enjoy so much. The new enthusiasts may never know what it was like.
Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 07:26 AM   #23
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn View Post
I share in your pain. I only recently had the disposable income that I once dreamed would allow me to buy and trade PM Rolex models, and now it's not even enough for me to get a SS Daytona on the grey market. At least you had the privilege to do it early on and enjoy so much. The new enthusiasts may never know what it was like.
Amen brother!!
Old 9 July 2021, 07:40 AM   #24
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyL147 View Post
I always laugh at these responses. You guys do know you can still breath while reading text right? You don't have to wait until a paragraph break. And are books just completely off limits for you?
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 07:53 AM   #25
afjag256
"TRF" Member

Amen…ignore the grammar police, they have no jurisdiction here.
afjag256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 07:55 AM   #26
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub-eddie View Post
It's a little different with this case. I understand prices go up every year and through the decades. But how can a watch such as the pre ceramic sub go from 4000 to 9500 in just a matter of months? If prices would have kept up with inflation, the economy, etc., then they would not be this expensive.

Please note, this is just a discussion and not meant to say who is right or wrong or anything like that.
Thru rise of social media and demand.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 07:55 AM   #27
djyolky
Banned

In before the lock!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 07:57 AM   #28
zewill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddyspaghetti View Post
We all know the days are long gone, the discussion is also would you wish to fork out twice the price for the same (ish) product?

For me, not really. I get it, Inflation. We should’ve all bought Bitcoin at 1 cent, NY property in the 90´S etc etc. For some products, no regrets. However, when you know how much Rolex have increased in such a little amount of time, I can understand perfectly when some people just say they quit, or they found a brand that works better for them.

10 or 20% discounts where not uncommon, even on subs, 10 years ago. Since then, the price has doubled, forget about the discount, and now some posts are popping up about the AD asking the client to foot the 3% credit card merchant expense. LOL.
zewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 07:58 AM   #29
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I'm starting to understand the delay in finding the wife, too .
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 08:04 AM   #30
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexguyinSF View Post
We're all in the same boat. Who knew just a few short years ago you could buy any model for MSRP or possibly a discount. How times have changed. I'm on a few waiting lists, but I just relax and remind myself how fortunate I am to even have one Rolex at the moment that I can wear. Things can always be worse.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote