The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 July 2021, 03:59 PM   #1
YoungMoneyAssassin
"TRF" Member

AP 15400 for Daytona

Hi All,

I’m considering trading my AP Royal Oak 15400 silver dial for an unworn white dial cosmo Daytona.

Outside of the RO, my collection consists of a submariner date and a blue dial VC4500. I feel
I am in need of a chrono in the collection and what better option than the Daytona.

Since both are valued at about $35-$40K right now it seems like a pretty good idea and a reasonably fair trade.

What would you do if you were me? I am out of my mind to part with the AP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YoungMoneyAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 04:09 PM   #2
Casotakar
"TRF" Member

As an innocent bystander having no experience with a Daytona or Royal Oak, I’d keep the Royal Oak. I hear it’s the best bracelet on a stainless steel sports watch. Plus can double as your water/diver/etc watch. I’d dump the Sub W/date and put that cash towards a Daytona purchase. Puts you half way there with a used Daytona.
Casotakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 04:13 PM   #3
WatchtraderNY
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Keep the AP! It is a beautiful watch. You can always add the Daytona in the future

WatchtraderNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 04:32 PM   #4
mineral
"TRF" Member

Definitely keep the royal oak. The classic date and time royal oak will get more difficult to find back in future

Old 11 July 2021, 04:41 PM   #5
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casotakar View Post
As an innocent bystander having no experience with a Daytona or Royal Oak, I’d keep the Royal Oak. I hear it’s the best bracelet on a stainless steel sports watch. Plus can double as your water/diver/etc watch. I’d dump the Sub W/date and put that cash towards a Daytona purchase. Puts you half way there with a used Daytona.
This.

Inviato dal mio SM-T719 utilizzando Tapatalk
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 04:43 PM   #6
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Not a chance.
Old 11 July 2021, 04:46 PM   #7
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Keep the AP!!!

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 04:48 PM   #8
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Tough choice, I’d keep the AP though, no question. It’s really another level, and watch for watch when you subtract hype and fomo the AP is the standout.
But you gotta choose the one you like best for you.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 04:59 PM   #9
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Objectively, the 15400 is miles away better than the Daytona. So I wouldn't recommend the trade.

Subjectively, it's your call. I would however rather spend the money to buy an unworn white 116520 instead.
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 05:23 PM   #10
MaxxWatchesOn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungMoneyAssassin View Post
Hi All,

I’m considering trading my AP Royal Oak 15400 silver dial for an unworn white dial cosmo Daytona.

Outside of the RO, my collection consists of a submariner date and a blue dial VC4500. I feel
I am in need of a chrono in the collection and what better option than the Daytona.

Since both are valued at about $35-$40K right now it seems like a pretty good idea and a reasonably fair trade.

"I am out of my mind to part with the AP?" Not really, but you would be.

Daytona is beautiful watch, so amazing for me that its my wallpaper.

However, I would have traded 2 of daytonas for one of AP15400. (Not really, I would have kept one). Came across one yesterday again and my heart skipped another beat. That beautiful bracelet and the tapisserie dial... Cant seem to get on the list though.

But one day...
MaxxWatchesOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 05:26 PM   #11
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

Ceramic white Daytona is an icon, a grail, will stand the test of time and only increase it’s value. I like the RO but too much nuts and bolts optics for me, the Daytona wears beautifully on the wrist and screams class.
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 06:08 PM   #12
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casotakar View Post
The Audemars Piguet 15400 has a water resistance of 50m, I think it's unwise to class it as a diver.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 06:16 PM   #13
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
IMHO, the AP is the better timepiece, I think it’s worth more too(?). However, you wear what you like. So my advice is: Trade or no based on which one you will enjoy wearing more. Simple.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 06:22 PM   #14
shkure
Banned

The Daytona is the top dog…in the Rolex category. But when you wear an AP RO, you are in a different league all together. Dont do the trade.

shkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 06:32 PM   #15
Fenrira
"TRF" Member

You’re probably going to miss the Royal Oak if you trade it in. The Daytona is a fantastic watch, but the AP is heads and shoulders above it in terms of finishing and build quality.
Fenrira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 06:52 PM   #16
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank McKay View Post
Ceramic white Daytona is an icon, a grail, will stand the test of time and only increase it’s value. I like the RO but too much nuts and bolts optics for me, the Daytona wears beautifully on the wrist and screams class.

Agree 100%
alex.cicollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 06:55 PM   #17
DRuss
Banned

I'll say do the trade, the way Rolex prices are going up these days I bet it will increase in value faster than the AP. Great choice.
DRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 07:40 PM   #18
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Hard call. If it was a 15202 I’d say no way but a 15400 is a different kettle of fish. In the old days before prices went bananas a Daytona was worth more (5/10 yrs ago). Retail the AP is more but the Daytona’s have never been available at retail for most to begin with. I think the ceramic Daytona has all the best features of the modern (automatic) Daytona. The dial is like the original porcelain dial of the first 16520’s, the bezel is amazing and like the 6263 and the movement is a tank that is super accurate and the wear is great. The AP is thicker and more robust than the original jumbo and most definitely is rarer with a different feel. I have had 3 AP’s and now don’t have any. I had a 15292, a 25202 perp cal, and an Offshore Dual time. I don’t have any of them anymore but I do have a 6240, a 116520 and a 116500. I do regret having traded my AP’s but I kept my Daytona’s. All things being equal the RO is a bit dressier and rarer but the Daytona is a staple that stands the test of time. Of all the watch brands I have had and do have now I always find myself going back to Rolex. Even in the rotation I have now. I don’t think it’s a dumb trade but you might be able tosell the AP for a bit more and you can use the cash to buy the Daytona with some change left over.
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 08:25 PM   #19
ewdi
"TRF" Member

I had both 15400 and Daytona, from owning both, it would be hard to give up the 15400, but if you must, I dont think it is a bad trade
Old 11 July 2021, 09:24 PM   #20
JoeCool76
"TRF" Member

I’d keep the AP
JoeCool76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 09:25 PM   #21
Deppe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutats View Post
The Audemars Piguet 15400 has a water resistance of 50m, I think it's unwise to class it as a diver.
This. I have never considered a RO, due to its poor WR. That is one of the things I really appreciate about Rolex watches - besides the Cellini line, all of them are basically everywhere/anything watches.

I got a PP Aquanaut 5167 instead. Fantastic watch, really thin and the sunburst dial was beautiful, but after a while it got a little bit boring. Then the Nautilus got discontinued and the prices went crazy, so I might as well cash in on that. Ended up trading it for a white 116500 and cash my way, and I am very happy, even though the Aquanaut are also viewed as classes above the Daytona.

Now if I could just find that FPJ for a price that I am willing to pay

EDIT: I might add that I am a big fan of the Daytona, or chronographs in general, so that is also why the trade made sense for me.
Deppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 09:33 PM   #22
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungMoneyAssassin View Post
Hi All,

I would not do the trade. Do you want a chrono or need a chrono?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 09:46 PM   #23
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I’d definitely keep the AP!!

All hype aside, you want to trade a $22k AP for a $13K rolex??
The AP is many levels above imho
Old 11 July 2021, 09:51 PM   #24
peterpl
Banned

Your downgrading imho.

Dont fall for the SS Daytona hype and thats coming from a previous owner that has owned both the white and black LNs.

Trust me you'll regret it. They are not worth anywhere near the current asking. If you MUST add a chrono the Zenith Chronomaster is miles ahead in my view and you can get them at MSRP with a little wait. That will scratch the itch - unless you are only after the name "Rolex" on the dial and are a true hype chaser. :)
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 09:55 PM   #25
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am an uneducated collector on AP as a brand but do admire the looks and the style. I do not think you can go wrong with the SS Daytona-C and market price is what it is. Things have not gotten cheaper over the years but the Daytona's have held in there and I believe that over time the classic good looks and styling of the Daytona will still be relevant in 20-50 years. I would figure out the numbers and get the Daytona. It is at the top of the heap of highly collectable watches that are two to three times retail. And for good reason. I own both of the SS Daytona-C's and enjoy them greatly. I say do it. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201213_105758 (002).jpg (249.8 KB, 780 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 10:02 PM   #26
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I am an uneducated collector on AP as a brand but do admire the looks and the style. I do not think you can go wrong with the SS Daytona-C and market price is what it is. Things have not gotten cheaper over the years but the Daytona's have held in there and I believe that over time the classic good looks and styling of the Daytona will still be relevant in 20-50 years. I would figure out the numbers and get the Daytona. It is at the top of the heap of highly collectable watches that are two to three times retail. And for good reason. I own both of the SS Daytona-C's and enjoy them greatly. I say do it. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
I agree.
OP another option if you want, I’d consider parting with the VC instead. Just my personal thoughts.

1William, your collection and advice is always impressive. Would love to see a collection pic if you have one.
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 10:08 PM   #27
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I would not. AP is in a different (higher) tier with their watchmaking and craftsmanship.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 10:08 PM   #28
PepsiBezel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Neo-Vintage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post
Objectively, the 15400 is miles away better than the Daytona. So I wouldn't recommend the trade.

Subjectively, it's your call. I would however rather spend the money to buy an unworn white 116520 instead.
I guess it depends on what objective criteria you apply…
PepsiBezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 10:25 PM   #29
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
I think Daytona, and I have it, screams HYPE, as it’s so underwhelming to wear. so only at MSRP. Good luck.
AP and I don’t have one, is a more special watch aesthetically. An Aquanaut is like Daytona very “quiet” but screams luxe in steel and it is a Patek (I have it) but I think the Nautilus is better looking?

If I rethought the collection a PP Nautilus 5711/1r would be it
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 10:40 PM   #30
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
If you’ll like/enjoy the Daytona more…do the trade.
Some good advice I was given recently….
Turn off TRF, turn down the noise, never mind value, & forget the hype….
Which one do you like better?
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
15400 , advice sought