The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 13 July 2021, 06:46 AM   #1
Billfav
"TRF" Member

Japan Purchase - Warranty Process?

Hi All - I have several Seiko's in my collection and overall found them to be robust watches. However several months ago I purchased a Captain Willard diver (SBDC109/SPB151) from a well known retailer of Seiko watches who I have been very pleased with over the last decade.

Strangely my watch (worn in wide rotation) started losing time 5-10 mins per day when worn on my wrist. If left face up and not worn it is within spec. I don't think it was this way when received as I am a stickler for accuracy and a watch being within spec. As many of you know it has the 6r35 caliber. The watch is within warranty period. My questions for those that can provide me some direction:

1. Does anyone know if a USA Seiko service center honor a warranty on a Japan purchase? Checked the Seiko website no guidance on this. No phone or email to contact them either.

2. Any thoughts on what the problem could be? It runs fine when not worn sitting face up.

3. If I have to send back to Japan for the warranty to be honored (which is what the dealer suspects) I need to send USPS with tracking. Looking at the hassle and cost to send, I may consider paying for it to be fixed domestically. Can anyone recommend someone who works on Seiko's? Of course I can check in with local watch repair shops. I also realize once they open the caseback it will likely void the warranty.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Bill
Billfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 06:18 AM   #2
Billfav
"TRF" Member

The (tentative) resolution

Well, I thought I would post a reply to my own query in hopes in may help others who in the future may be in a similar position as I was. Turns out on I was able to locate the phone number (using Google since I would not find it on the website) of the Seiko Service Center in NJ.

I called them and after a 5 min hold time, spoke to a lady who was very pleasant and said they could honor the warranty on a Japan purchase as the 1 year warranty that comes with the timepiece is an international warranty, so long as the warranty card is filled out and enclosed. So instead of shipping back to Japan via the USPS (hate going to the PO), trying to figure out which forms to fill out for tracking and customs, I sent via FedEx (love FedEx) to NJ. In and out in 10 mins. Used the Seiko USA website for the form to enclose detailing the problem on the watch.

I have two weeks left on the 1 year warranty. I will keep you all posted on the turnaround time and the hopeful success of the repair. The Service Center had mixed reviews actually as everything does these days....
Old 14 July 2021, 11:10 AM   #3
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Good luck! Some of the cheaper Seiko watches that I have bought in Japan say "warranty valid in Japan only" on the warranty card, or words to that effect, while the Grand Seikos have international warranties clearly stated (as I recall). Anyway, that's good that they're taking care of you in NJ.
Old 14 July 2021, 12:35 PM   #4
Billfav
"TRF" Member

H'mm - will see what happens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Good luck! Some of the cheaper Seiko watches that I have bought in Japan say "warranty valid in Japan only" on the warranty card, or words to that effect, while the Grand Seikos have international warranties clearly stated (as I recall). Anyway, that's good that they're taking care of you in NJ.
Thanks for the reply Adam. Now I am a bit nervous as I did not look at the card closely, just to ensure it was filled out and complete. Fingers crossed.

I wish I knew more about the engineering and mechanical workings for a watch caliber. It is a bizarre problem that occurs when the watch is worn (which is when it counts of course). First time I had a problem with a Seiko, and I have some pushing 20 years old that have not been treated kindly.
Old 14 July 2021, 12:57 PM   #5
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Yeah, those symptoms are new to me too. Keep us informed please!
Old 14 July 2021, 09:15 PM   #6
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Thanks for the information and let us know how the process works and the outcome.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 05:34 AM   #7
Jf00
"TRF" Member

Another datapoint, I bought a SBDC063 from Japan with warranty card. The movement died within several months and I tried sending to NJ SC. They promptly denied it. Ended up sending to Jack at International Watch Works for a new movement.
Jf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 02:35 AM   #8
Billfav
"TRF" Member

Follow Up and Hopefully Closure

Well I am happy to report that they repaired it under warranty at the service center in NJ. As you can see from the date of my first post in this thread was about 3 weeks turnaround. Got it back yesterday. Problem appears to be fixed but need to wear it for a while.

So it was a Japan purchase and they honored the warranty. They sent me an email upon receipt, and a status (waiting on technician to be assigned). That was the status for about a week. Then received an update watch was being worked on (my words not theirs). Next update was shipment.

Only details provided of the work done was that the watch needed service (no idea why a relatively new watch would need that). They serviced and water tested. They also noted I had some surface scratches (likely as I have worn the watch).

So all in all if the watch is repaired properly I would say that is good service. The problem I had (noted above) was always evident within short period of time being on the wrist. No problem yet and keeping time within spec.

If any further problems I will report back.
Old 7 August 2021, 08:46 PM   #9
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Thanks for the update and I am glad it worked out.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote